• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.businessinsider.com/best-video-games-2017-12/

Surprisingly good list from a non-gaming outlet! Spans a variety of genres and platforms, has indies and AAA. Also a couple different entries from most other lists.

10. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
9. Cuphead
8. HQ Trivia
7. Assassin's Creed: Origins
6. Battle Chef Brigade
5. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
2. Super Mario Odyssey
1. PLAYERUNKNON's Battlegrounds

Last edited:

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
It's a surprisingly great list!

Just got into HQ Trivia myself and it's probably the most challenging game I've played all year, but to be fair I have yet to get around to PUBG.

Good to see Mario and Zelda getting some love and I guess I'll need to check out that Battle Chef Brigade, too.

Also don't sleep on AC: Origins, people.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be yet another interesting thread isn't it

inb4
"no nier"
"no persona"
"no divinity"
"pubg too high early access game reee"
"zelda btfo take that liberals"

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a surprisingly great list!

Just got into HQ Trivia myself and it's probably the most challenging game I've played all year, but to be fair I have yet to get around to PUBG.

Good to see Mario and Zelda getting some love and I guess I'll need to check out that Battle Chef Brigade, too.

Also don't sleep on AC: Origins, people.

I've been holding off on BCB due to the art style and floaty looking gameplay but it's gotten enough praise that maybe I'll need to check it out.

HQ Trivia is an absolutely insane phenomenon, I think they broke 300K active a few days ago.

As for PUBG, the upcoming patch with parkour and the desert map will make it explode even further.

And of course, SMO and BOTW deserve to be on every list.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I don't think there are too many people still trying to delegitimize PUBG anymore for GOTY discussions. My hotaki is that if it's eligible this year, and it does appear to be fair game everywhere, then it shouldn't be eligible next year. Regardless, PUBG seems to be getting a lot of well deserved love and if it ever comes to PS4 I'll be all over it.

Having said all of that, I genuinely believe that Nier: Automata is the best game from 2017 and it will probably do quite well at ERA's awards (my guess is top 5).

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty diverse list. Horizon and Zelda being placed together, that will be same in my list. Both great games that don't need to hide from one another.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, which makes it qualified for GOTY 2017 discussion :)

Heck I would hope that Xenoblade 2 would get consideration and that's only been out for a week.

I dunno how i feel about RPGs being in discussion that are released during award season. other game types, sure, but rpgs are time sinks and generally have long massively longer playtimes than their contemporaries. And some rpgs back ends can really ruin great front ends.

I know its a bum rap, but it's sorta the luck of the draw for making such narrative focused, long length titles.

It always makes me think of Inquisition in such instances.

energon

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon above Zelda, PUBG above Mario, and the lack of persona and Sonic Mania are crimes.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Zelda exists, because if I had to see PUBG winning all the GotY awards I'd be pretty upset. Genuinely thought it was a terrible game when I played it.

Also, Mario above Zelda? I can't see it. Odyssey isn't even a top three game on the Switch this year, let alone top three overall.

Oct 29, 2017
This list seems singled out for its own thread to ruffle some feathers but okay. I have no problem with PUBG winning at least, but I can't agree with some of the choices and weird ass justifications. I found the list of The Economist a bigger eyeopener of hey someone actually know his stuff.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard about HQ Trivia or Battle Chef Brigade. The others are solid choices.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting list. Am I sleeping on Battle Chef Brigade?

What was the general reaction to South Park? I played Stick of Truth first, then I started directly after Fractured and it felt like something was missing or was off compared to the first. Maybe I was just burned out after Stick of Truth, but even then, I felt the grid-based combat was missing the oomph that the Mario RPG-style combat of the first game had. I also think that the simpler mechanics was secretly what made me enjoy Stick of Truth so much; the more involved, larger party-based combat seemed at odds with my impression and expectations for pacing in "South Park RPG".

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I like the dark horse South Park choice. I'm playing through it now and actually having a great time. I just love that universe - it's so silly. Will prob make my personal top 10 as well.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From a non gaming outlet this is pretty good. That said, I hope non-gaming outlet will stop making GotY lists.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Horizon beating Zelda is something I didn't expect.

Pretty good list from Business Insider... Looks like I need to check out Battle Chef Brigade

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time I hear about HQ Trivia, so I went and I googled it: Umm, I dunno if I can call it a "game".

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
HQ is a social phenomenon, but I wouldn't call it one of the 10 best games of 2017. It's not even in the top 10 of mobile games for 2017.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really nice list. Good seeing some good games that have been overlooked like AC Origins and South Park on the list and nice to see something different at the top for a change.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nice to see PUBG get a win. Breath of the Wild is obviously going to get a lot of nods but PUBG deserves to be recognized as well.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why? Being a non-gaming outlet doesn't stop the writer of the list from being a person that plays video games.
I expect the writer of a media GotY list to play most of the contenders to validate his opionion, including the less mainstream ones. This particualar list feels like the writer just played some maintream games and ranked them.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From a non gaming outlet this is pretty good. That said, I hope non-gaming outlet will stop making GotY lists.

I disagree. specifically the Time lists are frequently some of the best and most varied lists that I've seen. they aren't afraid to give smaller games consideration which I like.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
MedellĂ­n, Colombia
White-Guy-Blinking.gif

Not bad. Not bad at all.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Variety->No JRPGs in the year of P5 and Nier Automata. Outside of that good list.