• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Executives at major video game studios and publishers told Business Insider that the growth of subscription services was a sign of a "new paradigm" in the industry — one that may signal long-term trouble for developers even as fans and platforms thrive.
  • Like movies, TV, and music before it, the video game industry is currently going through a paradigm shift toward subscription services.
  • Microsoft's Game Pass and Apple Arcade are leading the charge, but they're just the tip of the iceberg.
  • The shift has been majorly beneficial to video game fans, who have more ways than ever to play great games.
  • But game makers speaking with Business Insider tell a different story: "What happened with the other industries is big checks were written for a while until the platforms didn't need the content creators anymore," one game publishing executive said.
If you're a PlayStation 4 owner, a $10 monthly/$60 annual subscription service called PlayStation Plus offers a monthly stipend of free games. If you're an Xbox One owner, a similarly priced service offers similar benefits. That's before we start talking about newer, more disruptive offerings like Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass program or Apple's Apple Arcade, which provide Netflix-style instant game libraries for a monthly or annual subscription fee.

These services are great for gamers, who have more options to play great games. And — in the short term — these services are great for game makers, who reap the financial benefits of massive companies like Microsoft, Sony, and Apple splashing out for games. As Microsoft seeks to grow its subscriber base with Xbox Game Pass, for instance, it offers lucrative deals to developers and studios whose games it wants on the service. "Grey's Anatomy" creator Shonda Rhimes got a $150 million deal from Netflix to produce content for the streaming giant. But these big paychecks from platforms don't last forever.

So the logic goes: As more people subscribe to these platforms, platform owners have less incentive to pay for content. The people who used to buy games directly become service subscribers instead, leaving game makers nowhere to publish games other than those subscription platforms.

"What happened with the other industries is big checks were written for a while until the platforms didn't need the content creators anymore," one game publishing executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of active relationships with gaming platforms, told Business Insider. "This check might feel good now, but it might not feel so good in five years."

Platforms like Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass need that content to draw in subscribers, but the long-term effect could be dire for the industry: People stop buying games directly, and start paying for subscription services instead. "It's an offer you can't refuse," another studio executive told Business Insider. "If you destroy the system of purchasing and replace it with a subscription model, then the subscription model is all that's left. It's just Netflix and Blockbuster; instead of renting per video, you're paying for subscription services."

These subscription services could mean the end of the traditional direct-to-consumer sales of individual games, where the sales trajectory over time looks like a downhill slope with a (hopefully) long, tapered decline. "We just adjust to the new paradigm," that studio executive said. "We have to make sure we have our profit margins up front. If we do a Game Pass game, we have to build our margins into that."

www.businessinsider.com

The ‘Netflix of gaming’ is coming, and video game makers are worried that their business could meet the same fate as music and movies

Game developers are worried Microsoft, Sony, and Apple are going to change the video game industry the way Netflix and Spotify changed TV and music.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Super Yikes that article mentions PlayStation Plus as Sony's Netflix of games but doesn't realize PSNow ( the actual closest thing to Netflix for games) exists

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I thought, specifically with Game Pass, smaller game makers were happy with the results, and actually found their games selling better because of Game Pass?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
These subscription services could mean the end of the traditional direct-to-consumer sales of individual games, where the sales trajectory over time looks like a downhill slope with a (hopefully) long, tapered decline. "We just adjust to the new paradigm," that studio executive said. "We have to make sure we have our profit margins up front. If we do a Game Pass game, we have to build our margins into that."

If the industry is actually trending toward this crap, I'm just plain done. Zero interest in having my blood hooked up to even more parasite services that just result in worse games over time.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If it results in less money for the devs - of course they are gonna be scared. The big publishers with a bunch of service games and microtransactions filled games will be fine....but for smaller devs or the ones focusing on single player content it could get ugly.

Gamepass for example works well because of the current situation MS is in - for smaller devs a GamePass deal can be very attractive compared to what they would otherwise earn on that plattform. They might not be willing to agree to the same terms of this was including and impacting their sales on other plattforms where people buy more of their games.

I would assume that Nintendo would have to pay or offer indie devs quite a bit more than MS for such a service, if they needed to offset the loss in potential sales.

Getting indie games x that might sell 5k units in Xbox and 50k on Switch on GamePass is easier to negotiate than trying to get the Switch dev to be part of such a service. Especially when you hear about how much some of the big indie Switch indie hits sold - thats alot of money you would need to compensate for.

Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
If the industry is actually trending toward this crap, I'm just plain done. Zero interest in having my blood hooked up to even more parasite services that just result in worse games over time.

This is where I am. I don't pay for Netflix, Hulu and other TV subscriptions, so I'm definitely sure I won't be paying for video game subscriptions. At some point, it's going to be too much.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'd work well for the entire industry to shift to this. Video games are a time sink of anywhere from days to years. Movies are a time sink of maybe 3 hours at the most, or a month if you binge watch a tv show.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see subscription services take over the industry tbh but it would be nice for gamers if they have access to a lot of games for a low monthly fee. I'd rather just by my videogames and play them whenever I want to without an internet connection.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Another prominent game developer who spoke with Business Insider put the issue succinctly: "Isn't it much easier to just give developers a giant sum of money for now, and then, when there's no market to sell directly to consumers anymore, you just give them less? That's what I would do if I was a platform."

That would make sense. Why would you keep paying devs a lot if there is no alternative for them to turn to?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If/When the subscription model for games ends up catching on, I feel like indie and smaller AA titles will have a much harder time on the market.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a key difference here in that unlike Netflix you can buy a game right there on the same storefront that offers it with a subscription. I know I have pushed myself to put down money for things leaving Game Pass on several occasions.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I thought, specifically with Game Pass, smaller game makers were happy with the results, and actually found their games selling better because of Game Pass?
They are happy about the current results, but that will only be a short-term effect (the coming five years or so), looking at how things developed in the music and film industries. They are worried about what comes after this transitioning period, again looking at film and music.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020

Yes smaller devs because if exposure. Larger brands aren't going to be happy if it cuts into their potential revenues they could make doing their own thing. See Netflix and Disney, Starz, or HBO. Or in gaming see EA Access or Ubisoft.

it works for smaller titles and older games. It gets much harder for AAA games on launch and could potentially flood the market with lots of cheap game alternatives making the investment in a single $60 title at launch less attractive when you have a backlog of 100s of other titles to play for $1 a month.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Netflix for games is where I draw the line for this hobby. Xbox Game Pass teeters on the edge, but as long as that isn't prioritized over traditional methods it should be fine

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
they keep ignoring Nintendo's model of not devaluing the value of thier ips since... forever.

and it's not just them, other publishers/devs do the same and they are successful at it.

This fearnongering has the same taste and smell as when mobile was threatening to kill the industry.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
They are happy about the current results, but that will only be a short-term effect (the coming five years or so), looking at how things developed in the music and film industries. They are worried about what comes after this transitioning period, again looking at film and music.

You already see (even on here) a bunch of people basically saying they won't buy a game and will wait for it to be on GamePass. So some are already fully ready to transition to it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As long as Nintendo is around to self-publish, I'm not going to worry too much about it. I doubt they'll devalue their games in this way with the exception of dripfeeding some decades old classics. Regarding the third party stuff and other first party studios, I am also not entirely concerned to be honest.

Netflix still creates unique programs year after year in an attempt to keep its fanbase happy. There's been no "drying up" of resources on that subscription service. The same is true for amazon prime (although their content isn't as great). And Apple TV+ is offering up all new stuff too, as is Disney.

In fact, I'm not sure of any major video streaming providers that have stopped producing original content after producing a ton for years. If anything, it's lead to more creativity and unique things to watch, not less.

We went from a period of time when everyone was making cheaply-produced reality TV to now where TV programs have the production values of movies. There are more opportunities to make high quality TV shows today than there were 15 years ago before the trend took over.

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Super Yikes that article mentions PlayStation Plus as Sony's Netflix of games but doesn't realize PSNow ( the actual closest thing to Netflix for games) exists

Not sure what's so "yikes" about it. The Netflix of games stuff is mentioned separately from ps+ and Xbox gmw. It does fail to mention psnow although I wouldn't say that takes anything away from the premise of the article.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the need to subscribe. I typically know what games I want to play, and I only want to play them. I don't need "access" to games the same way I need access to TV and movie content. But I can see the appeal for low income folks or people who like to try a whole bunch of things out.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
they keep ignoring Nintendo's model of not devaluing the value of thier ips since... forever.

and it's not just them, other publishers/devs do the same and they are successful at it.
yep. can't train your consumers to expect drastic sale prices months after release and then expect them to still buy at full price. now users get them "for free" on subscription services? gonna be super hard to argue your game is worth $60 if in a few months people can play it "for free."

my wife and I almost never buy movies anymore. I asked her if she was gonna buy frozen 2 since she has practically every other disney movie and she said why? it's gonna be on disney+ soon anyways. so, yeah, videogames will have the same problem.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
sooner or later it will definitely go the way of the exclusive content with many subscribing services like video on demand is today.
there will be games specifically made for these services with in app purchases and mtx out of the ass while the basic version is included.

and that is when i will go fully retro gaming. AAA is already on the verge of bringing generic, bloated, streamlined stuff for the masses with zero surprises and boring gameplay.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
How about you don't copy-and-paste the article nearly in its entirety so that people actually visit the site?

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
I like being able to subscribe when I want to play a certain game, did it with origin premier and doing it now with gamepass. I have played/tried more games this way than if it had been the traditional way. It works for me because I don't care about physical or ownership, I rarely replay a game.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The people who used to buy games directly become service subscribers instead"

Hmm, I wonder. I mean if I want to play the new Spider-Man game and it doesn't exist on any subscription service then I'll go buy it. I imagine these sub services won't be giving away their AAA games.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I'll collect the old games. Honestly there are enough games out there to keep me entertained for a lifetime already.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
being someone who's a bit more older and far removed from release day gaming, gamepass is genuinely now my life force

as long as i've got something to play, i might never buy a video game again

am i the problem?

or am i the solution?

hmmm

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried about it too. Nobody goes to Golden Corral expecting a 4-star experience, much less the option to get one. If you get something good, enjoy it because you got lucky.

Voting with your wallet kind of goes out the window, unfortunately. As consumers, that's all we have.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Video Games just like any other healthy industry is just diversifing their business models. More ways to pay for games equals more customers.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm, I wonder. I mean if I want to play the new Spider-Man game and it doesn't exist on any subscription service then I'll go buy it. I imagine these sub services won't be giving away their AAA games.

I mean you'll be able to play Halo Infinite day one on Gamepass, you could with Gears 5 too.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it'd work well for the entire industry to shift to this. Video games are a time sink of anywhere from days to years. Movies are a time sink of maybe 3 hours at the most, or a month if you binge watch a tv show.
the entire industry doesn't need to shift, but it could be very easy for a significant enough portion of people to shift to a "I'm not going to buy game x, y, or z because it will show up on <insert service here>" — we do already have a lot of people who might think like that now, but if numbers of people who think like that shift overall it could mean a lot of change for the industry and funding.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

isn't gamepass already doing this moving forward with all first party titles?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Same here.

I can see the shift making everything microtransaction-based, multiplayer, and the loss of single player campaigns.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'll say this much, I haven't bought a single game on Xbox or Windows since subbing to gamepass.
I still buy plenty of games on Switch and PS4, but even then, I'm buying less games. And games that I think will show up on gamepass or free through gold, plus or the epic games store I take the wait and see approach. My spending behavior has definitely changed.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean you'll be able to play Halo Infinite day one on Gamepass, you could with Gears 5 too.

Wow, I don't have an Xbox at all so I had no idea that was the case.

It would be fascinating to see if Sony follows suit... they have held off on giving away AAA games through PS+ forever so I wonder if their approach would change.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Executives at major video game studios and publishers told Business Insider that the growth of subscription services was a sign of a "new paradigm" in the industry — one that may signal long-term trouble for developers even as fans and platforms thrive.

I imagine that, for these executives at major video game studios and publishers, a "new paradigm" is one where they are far less able to make hundreds off of a game through monetization schemes after selling the game for $59.99 MSRP at retail, which would most definitely signal trouble for their existing paradigm, but oh well!

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh yes, Netflix, that service that made it impossible to consume/purchase movies any other way.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I thought mobile games were the end of the AAA video game?
Or was it the popularity and profit of multiplayer that was going to end single player games?
Or was it the MMO gold rush that was going to end traditional games?
Or was it Consoles that was going to end PC gaming?
Or was it....

There's always a doom and gloom article that X is going to end Y and it's never accurate.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think an interesting example that kinda proves the point of the article is Control, Phil Spencer accidentally said it is coming to game pass, which forced Remedy to say that statement is incorrect, and the next thing people did was doubt remedy and that might have negatively impacted sales of the game on xbox, because "whats the point of spending $40 on this game now when i can effectively get it for $10 soon"

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it'll be less money for developers and a really hard sell to push for AAA games when something for a tenth of the price can make 100x the profit.

Hopefully it doesn't happen for a while.

Nov 9, 2017
I would imagine that if gaming becomes subscription based like Netflix, corporations like Sony and Microsoft will have far more power to dictate how much profit game devs can receive for their product. I would think smaller indie devs would especially be vulnerable.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think there is a key difference here in that unlike Netflix you can buy a game right there on the same storefront that offers it with a subscription. I know I have pushed myself to put down money for things leaving Game Pass on several occasions.

Exactly this. I couldn't care less about subscription services for games. I always buy them. That's the case for literally a dozen plus of my friends as well. That's anecdotal, but I strongly feel that the type of person to simply play the games that come their way via a service is not the type that would otherwise be buying many games anyway.

The consumer that only plays games from these services (as they exist currently) seems pretty casual to me and wouldn't be spending much money anyway.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I think an interesting example that kinda proves the point of the article is Control, Phil Spencer accidentally said it is coming to game pass, which forced Remedy to say that statement is incorrect, and the next thing people did was doubt remedy and that might have negatively impacted sales of the game on xbox, because "whats the point of spending $40 on this game now when i can effectively get it for $10 soon"

Tbh I'm under the impression Control will be available via some sort of thing like game pass, or end up on ps plus , or something, and I've yet to buy the game because of it. I waited this long to get it so I can wait till it's "free".

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how little Spotify(for instance) apparently pays per stream I can see this being a real concern.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
I will not buy anymore Xbox games,just game pass for me. It just an amazing deal and I get their first party releases day one!!