Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
6QQeJY9.png

A pricing glitch on Amazon's website over Prime Day meant people were able to buy thousands of dollars' worth of camera gear for under $100.

According to the photograph and camera news site PetaPixel, one shopper noticed that a $548 Sony a6000 and 16-50 mm lens bundle was listed on Amazon for $94.50. The shopper shared this on Slickdeals on Monday, the first day of the Prime Day sales.

The post hit the front page, and it wasn't long before comments began to flood in as camera enthusiasts expressed their delight and shared other giant savings. Others, however, said the deal did not show up, suggesting that there may have been glitches on Amazon's website.

"Literally everything is 94.48. I have bought like 10k worth of stuff that was like 900 dollars total," one commenter wrote.

"Everything with the prime day tag on my account is 94.48. I just bought a 3000$ telescope for 94.48," another said.

An Amazon representative did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.

While some commenters on Reddit and Slickdeals said their orders had already shipped, others were still awaiting confirmation and wondering whether Amazon would cancel the order.

would you take advantage of this deal if you saw it?

what if you made a post saying you would participate in the amazon boycott, then someone sent you a link to a $1000 camera for $100?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon will glady take the hit on some of them because it is good for the myth of prime day.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I did lol. And I'm one of the people who work at a amazon warehouse. I'm seriously still fucking sad about this.

Guess me wanting some sleep before working for prime day fucked me up.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
i actually saw the original post on SD but didn't want that specific camera and didn't open the thread...now i hate myself lol (well i did before because i've seen people talking about it all week)

*i don't actually hate myself...just would have loved to jump in as I do actually need some new lenses...

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I admit it kills me I didn't see it.

On one hand I'd feel bad... On the other I shop with Amazon a TON, and I have been thinking about getting an upgrade to my T1i for a long ng time but simply can't justify putting $600-$900 in a good camera atm.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I expect those of you pushing the boycott to keep that same energy you had two days ago.

Great news, still haven't bought anything from Amazon, and of course Bezos is scum. For my next trick I'll make a thread about how none of the billionaires who pleged money to the rebuilding effort for Notre Dame have actually given their cash. Capitalism! *jazzhands*

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I would had taken advantage if I would had known lol (been in the market for a new camera for a while now)

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still pissed I passed out right before this hit. I blame being on the east coast. I would have been wide awake if I was back home on the west coast.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Definitely in a spot right now where spending a couple hundred to get almost 2 grand from flipping would be a lifesaver. Such a weird thing to feel regret about and yet here I am.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was not informed of this. I always miss these glitches! I needed a few lenses too!

Oct 25, 2017
Only good part of Prime Day is if a price error/glitch hits on something you want. Bought a bunch of new release video games for under $10 the first Prime Day. Then traded Crash back to them for like $22 after playing it.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I wouldn't be surprised to find out this was all on purpose. Losing a few hundred grand is nothing at all to Amazon. People will remember this shit next Prime day. It's just advertising. Pretty cheap advertising actually.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm still mad I missed it. Never skip an opportunity to "steal" from the rich corporations.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I would order as much as I can.
There was a similar glitch at Amazon Germany last year. 10€ coupon off of everything. Even stuff that was 10 bucks or less.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
How does that not make sense? Every pricing "glitch" isn't real. Just like leaks.
Of course this could be real, I have no clue. Just saying, it can be used to drive traffic pretty easily.

I could believe this about Echo Show Dot Connect Fire Cubes being sold for 45 cents to clear the warehouse, but not those cameras.

Oct 25, 2017
How does that not make sense? Every pricing "glitch" isn't real. Just like leaks.
Of course this could be real, I have no clue. Just saying, it can be used to drive traffic pretty easily.
You literally said they probably sold their cameras worth hundreds and thousands for $94 on purpose for "cheap" advertising.

My response was, that doesn't make sense.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
You literally said they probably sold their cameras worth hundreds and thousands for $94 on purpose for "cheap" advertising.

My response was, that doesn't make sense.
How much advertising do you think a few hundred grand would get Amazon with something like banner ads or emails? Would it have more of an impact on traffic and sentiment or less? Also I said I wouldn't be surprised to find out they did it on purpose. That's not the same as saying I think they probably did it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Absolutely. Camera bodies come and go, but lenses? A good set of lenses will last you literally 40 years if you take care of them.

But the odds of me being (1) a prime member and hunting for deals at 3am EST is unlikely, as I don't really need anything anyway. Had all of those things lined up, I'm sure I"d have some new camera equipment! lol

I would not have bought in excess of my own needs, however. Maybe a camera for my little brother who is actually in the market right now. That would have been a cool surprise. Not into flipping culture.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I got a free Xbox One from an Amazon price error a while back and did not feel bad about it in the slightest

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
This will go down as the greatest price glitch of all time and I doubt we will see anything like it again. I literally walked away with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise for a fraction of the cost 🤣

Props to Amazon for not cancelling. I guess if anyone can take this kinda hit it's them lol

Oct 25, 2017
This will go down as the greatest price glitch of all time and I doubt we will see anything like it again. I literally walked away with thousands of dollars worth of merchandise for a fraction of the cost 🤣

Props to Amazon for not cancelling. I guess if anyone can take this kinda hit it's them lol
Did you miss the Target fiasco last year?

Everyone got 7 15% off coupons that stacked and they applied to everything.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
For amazon its easier to cancel this stuff.

Remember on the place that best buy glitch that $2K - $1.5K TV's where $200 and people did in store pickup pictures of them in the car with the TV's because the deals were so fast by the time best buy corrected it lots of folks picked up their TV already.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Also canoes must be brought up lol

Lol, was that the day that Walmart was just fire saling everything from TV's to Canoes due to price errors? I almost always miss out on these things, and often the hassle of reselling isn't worth it to me, but they are fun to watch/track. These camera's are some of the largest price errors I've ever seen though.

I did recently get in on that Target mistake where there were stacking 35% coupons if you used the Cartwheel app, ended up with like 2 Nest Cameras and 2 nest Thermostats for 75% off with a red card, picked up in store in like an hour and they caught on like 30 minutes later and started cancelling everything.