• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That men are sexually assaulted at a rate far less than women is not a rape myth. That the typical case involves a man perpetrator and a woman victim is not a rape myth. That part of my post was intended to address why this is treated as an issue mostly affecting women.

I am not downplaying the importance and gravity of men being victims of sexual assault in any way. I am pointing out that the highly gendered approach to dealing with sexual violence - approaches that assume that the victim is a woman - exist for a reason.
Yes, and part of that reason is that male victims were excluded from most criminal definitions of rape until recently, among a multitude of other reasons. What is the basis for your 99% of perpetrators are men claim? If it's based on criminal convictions and it doesn't include made to penetrate than it's simply not accurate data.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
That men are sexually assaulted at a rate far less than women is not a rape myth. That the typical case involves a man perpetrator and a woman victim is not a rape myth. That part of my post was intended to address why this is treated as an issue mostly affecting women.

I am not downplaying the importance and gravity of men being victims of sexual assault in any way. I am pointing out that the highly gendered approach to dealing with sexual violence - approaches that assume that the victim is a woman - exist for a reason.
The thread is literally about male victims of sexual violence because it's often ignored. What is your goal here exactly, to come in and call the people talking about their experiences "exceptions," and to let us know that we should take it seriously but not as seriously as other forms of assault?

I mean, really, what is your point?

Dec 2, 2017
I was raped and abused multiple times by multiple men as a child, and even now I wouldn't bring it up to anyone I know IRL. Even my family. It would just be. I can't think of the word. Amongst men I feel like I would be mocked, to say the least.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was raped and abused multiple times by multiple men as a child, and even now I wouldn't bring it up to anyone I know IRL. Even my family. It would just be. I can't think of the word. Amongst men I feel like I would be mocked, to say the least.
I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but have you seen a therapist or attended a support group? That's how I was able to speak of what happened to me for the first time. Telling family is hard and I've still only told one family member.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I think the main difference is that men are expected to enjoy sexual advances by women no matter how uncomfortable it makes them feel (or worse: even against their explicit denial e.g. sexual harassment / rape).

Sexual harassment is always wrong.
Rape is always wrong.

If you excuse any kind of sexual crime then you're a trash human being.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017

I would suggest that the way you have talked in this thread are the reason I never felt comfortable talking about it until recently. When I was in the military we had, I want to say the organisation was SACS? come, a guy in the crowd asked about male victims at the end when it wasn't mentioned the whole time. The way you respond is exactly how she did about everything he asked. Made me feel like it wasn't even worth bringing forward.

Mar 9, 2018
There was a time where I was sexually assaulted several years ago. The doctor I have currently believes it may have led to ptsd.

I never reported it to police or anyone. I remember feeling absolute disgust, and crying, and then I quit the job where the person who assaulted me was. I was too disgusted to really know what to say. I was also very shocked by what happened.

I remember feeling like my will had been taken from me as I was forced to attack the person who assaulted me;I'm someone that would never fight.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
me either. I couldn't imagine telling my family, especially since the person is part of the family. I never see her, but still. I just can't bring myself to tell friends or family. Only my wife and the internet honestly.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Christ, I thought we would at least get a couple pages in before we got bullshit like this. Me and my dump optimism.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
me either. I couldn't imagine telling my family, especially since the person is part of the family. I never see her, but still. I just can't bring myself to tell friends or family. Only my wife and the internet honestly.
That's part of why I made this thread, because I want this forum to be a safe space for people to talk about their experiences. Much like you, this forum is the only place other than with my therapist that I discuss the abuse I suffered.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, and part of that reason is that male victims were excluded from most criminal definitions of rape until recently, among a multitude of other reasons. What is the basis for your 99% of perpetrators are men claim? If it's based on criminal convictions and it doesn't include made to penetrate than it's simply not accurate data.
Statscan puts the victim sex ratio at 7:1 but I don't think they keep track of the percentage of perpetrators. Plenty of advocacy organizations put the number as high as 99% - I doubt it is actually that high but it is probably closer to the truth than the 75/25 you're implying.

Canada has had a gender neutral definition of sexual assault for over forty years. That's no longer a material issue in stat collection.

The thread is literally about male victims of sexual violence because it's often ignored. What is your goal here exactly, to come in and call the people talking about their experiences "exceptions," and to let us know that we should take it seriously but not as seriously as other forms of assault?

I mean, really, what is your point?
My point is very simple: You can advocate for male victims of sexual assault while acknowledging the reality that most of the victims are women. OP is trying to change the whole narrative on sexual assault in ways that are factually inaccurate and not helpful. Don't do that.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I think the main difference is that men are expected to enjoy sexual advances by women no matter how uncomfortable it makes them feel (or worse: even against their explicit denial e.g. sexual harassment / rape).

Rape is always wrong.

I think there's also the expectation that men should always be capable of defending themselves physically. Or that they wouldn't be immobilized by fear or other pressure. It's not just about physical strenght either, but that man couldn't be in a power dynamic with the perpetrator where they could be sexually taken advantage of. Maybe it's the male equilevant of "she was asking for it".
My point is very simple: You can advocate for male victims of sexual assault while acknowledging the reality that most of the victims are women. OP is trying to change the whole narrative on sexual assault in ways that are factually inaccurate and not helpful. Don't do that.
No they're not, they're highlighting an issue that's often not talked about and when it is, it's a joke or ridicule. But you're making this really weird. Nobody here thinks, has said or even implied that there are more male victims (except among inmates).

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christ, I thought we would at least get a couple pages in before we got like this. Me and my dump optimism.
I just don't understand how anyone could look at the fact that the FBI didn't even allow for men to be included in its definition of rape until fucking 2012 and not come to the conclusion that, at the very least, we need to reevaluate previous notions about sexual assault.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
....Holy fuck. Y'know, clicking on this thread I knew I'd be looking at the statistics on how men being raped is more common than people assume it to be. I didn't think that within such a short period of time I'd see so many people that posted here say they'd been raped. I'm not gonna lie even having heard the statistics before I thought the number was actually super rare anyway. Fuck. I'm sorry guys. :/

Rape is always wrong.

I had a friend relate to me a story that very much sounded like rape, to the point that it made me uncomfortable. He told me a story about how he was sleeping and his girlfriend started having sex with him. Which is something you can do with a significant other if you've worked that out beforehand, but then he mentioned saying he wasn't interested and told her didn't feel like it, only for her to say she was horny and didn't care, and she just did it anyway. He recounted it in such a calm, matter of factly kind of way and implied that wasn't the only time it happened. I think men have been conditioned to just kind of shrug off whether their own consent is important or not.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Exceptionally important topic and a very well handled thread, thank you Lord of Ostia. As some will know this hits close to home for me as it has others in the thread. I've spent the past fifteen years, half my life, suffering and never being able to understand the consequences of what happened over the years and the impact it was having on my life thereafter. It's completely insidious.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but have you seen a therapist or attended a support group? That's how I was able to speak of what happened to me for the first time. Telling family is hard and I've still only told one family member.
I've found it very difficult to gel with the therapists I've seen, and I'm too anxiety prone to try another. I can't remember the last time we discussed it within my family. Years ago.

Mar 9, 2018
Oh, and the biggest issue people had with my experience was people insisted that I could have easily beat the guy up, but I'm just not that type of person.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
I know that in college there were a ton of flyers, seminars, etc. educating women on recognizing if they were raped, but I never saw any for men. Unfortunately far too many men and women don't see male rape as "possible" or "serious."
This is insidiously reinforced every time rape is discussed as a "woman's issue."
The OP and studies therein concern sexual abuse of minors, where you could reasonably assert that males and females are equally vulnerable.

In college, not so much, including 'date rape' which it seems the materials you mentioned were referring to. That doesn't mean that when it does happen it's not equally as serious, but the prevalence is significantly lower.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Statscan puts the victim sex ratio at 7:1 but I don't think they keep track of the percentage of perpetrators. Plenty of advocacy organizations put the number as high as 99% - I doubt it is actually that high but it is probably closer to the truth than the 75/25 you're implying.

Canada has had a gender neutral definition of sexual assault for over forty years. That's no longer a material issue in stat collection.

Yes but that doesn't answer the question. Where does the 99% number come from? If it's from criminal convictions then it isn't accurate. If it doesn't include made to penetrate then it is not accurate. The definition can be gender neutral on the surface but still focused on penetration, in which case it actually isn't gender neutral because many male rapes don't involve penetration of the victim. Nowhere has anyone challenged the idea that most victims are women; that's true. But 'most' doesn't mean 7:1 nor 99% male perpetrators, and if we are basing our data on victim reporting (which we should be, since most assaults are never going to be prosecuted) then those numbers simply don't add up.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I've found it very difficult to gel with the therapists I've seen, and I'm too anxiety prone to try another. I can't remember the last time we discussed it within my family. Years ago.
I've finally gone back to see one about the extreme number of things I've been holding onto. It took awhile to find one I was comfortable with but I finally did last week and it's like exhaling properly for the first time in a decade. Consider emailing a few just to strike up some no-obligations communication and see if any stand out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The OP and studies therein concern sexual abuse of minors, where you could reasonably assert that males and females are equally vulnerable.

In college, not so much. That doesn't mean that when it does happen it's not equally as serious, but the prevalence is significantly lower.
Some of the studies I cited are focused on minors, but not all of them. For example, the NCVS, NISVS, and BJS (all victim surveys) are not specific to minors.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
My point is very simple: You can advocate for male victims of sexual assault while acknowledging the reality that most of the victims are women.

..the OP:
Common wisdom is that women are the primary victims of sexual abuse and sexual assault, and that male victimization in this manner is rare and only occurs in very specific circumstances. While women ARE more likely to be victims of sexual abuse, assault, or harassment, male victimization rates are actually far closer to female victimization rates than was previously thought. To quote from a great resource on this issue (1in6.org):
While male perpetrator/female victim is the most common form of sexual violence, it is not the only form
Perhaps show a degree of tact considering the thread and some of the posts within.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
PS, I'd like to add to the flip side, it absolutely did not affect my life the same way a violent rape would a woman. It felt shitty sure and it sucks that it happens, but I in NO WAY want to equate the two.
As a woman who had the same experience as you only the other way around (I was extremely drunk and he was supposed to drive me home from the party but he drove me to his place and had sex with me and I didn't remember anything after waking up. My friends also didn't take me seriously at the time because he was an integral part of our friend group who a few had a crush on). I just want to say please please do not downplay what happened to you. It's just as fucked up and traumatic and stays with you just as long. I 100% understand your feelings saying this, though, because in my mind I feel hesitant to share my story in SA threads, because my rape wasn't violent. Basically, what happened to both of us is fucked up and in no way is what happened to me worse than what happened to you, because it affected our lives individually. I am extremely sorry that that happened to you.

To OP: thank you for making this thread and for spending so much time on the first post. This is going to be a great resource to link to people who make jokes out of male sexual assault, because unfortunately you see it all the time here on Era.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Some of the studies I cited are focused on minors, but not all of them. For example, the NCVS, NISVS, and BJS (all victim surveys) are not specific to minors.
Yeah sorry, my mistake. I'll edit my first post.

Also, wasn't trying to downplay the issue whatsoever, just rationalising why the focus of preventatitve/support material might be more heavily weighted towards women.

Not to say there shouldn't be more support for men though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
..the OP:

Perhaps show a degree of tact considering the thread and some of the posts within.
I mean, literally STILL hasn't read the OP, but has to come in and call people "exceptions."
Thank you both. Just so everyone is clear: women are more likely to be victims of sexual abuse or assault than men. The rates are just much closer than what most people realize and than what decades of research has shown, because a lot of that research was flawed. No amount of research will ever show more male victims than female victims, because that's not reality. However, the reality is that there isn't a huge gulf between the number of male and female victims.

Oct 25, 2017

OP isn't doing anything of the sort.
You're not being helpful. You should really stop doing this.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
....Holy fuck. Y'know, clicking on this thread I knew I'd be looking at the statistics on how men being raped is more common than people assume it to be. I didn't think that within such a short period of time I'd see so many people that posted here say they'd been raped. I'm not gonna lie even having heard the statistics before I thought the number was actually super rare anyway. Fuck. I'm sorry guys. :/

I had a friend relate to me a story that very much sounded like rape, to the point that it made me uncomfortable. He told me a story about how he was sleeping and his girlfriend started having sex with him. Which is something you can do with a significant other if you've worked that out beforehand, but then he mentioned saying he wasn't interested and told her didn't feel like it, only for her to say she was horny and didn't care, and she just did it anyway. He recounted it in such a calm, matter of factly kind of way and implied that wasn't the only time it happened. I think men have been conditioned to just kind of shrug off whether their own consent is important or not.

Your friend got raped. Plain and simple.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I would suggest that the way you have talked in this thread are the reason I never felt comfortable talking about it until recently. When I was in the military we had, I want to say the organisation was SACS? come, a guy in the crowd asked about male victims at the end when it wasn't mentioned the whole time. The way you respond is exactly how she did about everything he asked. Made me feel like it wasn't even worth bringing forward.
I apologize for that. I truly don't want to make anyone feel worse about being a victim. I am just trying to explain why the status quo of sexual assault research and advocacy looks the way it does. I realize that advocacy groups being dismissive of men who complain about sexual assault is a real issue. It is difficult to reconcile that issue in light of the venerable chorus of voices that undermine the good work that these organizations do, particularly when they often undermine them on the basis that they pay too much attention to women (which is the group that primarily utilizes their services).
Yes but that doesn't answer the question. Where does the 99% number come from? If it's from criminal convictions then it isn't accurate. If it doesn't include made to penetrate then it is not accurate. The definition can be gender neutral on the surface but still focused on penetration, in which case it actually isn't gender neutral because many male rapes don't involve penetration of the victim. Nowhere has anyone challenged the idea that most victims are women; that's true. But 'most' doesn't mean 7:1 nor 99% male perpetrators, and if we are basing our data on victim reporting (which we should be, since most assaults are never going to be prosecuted) then those numbers simply don't add up.
It does answer the question. Statscan explains how it gets 7:1, and it's pretty clear. For what it's worth, no one source (including victim reporting) is going to be completely accurate because of various issues (including one you mentioned - a non-uniform rate of reporting across different groups, like minorities).

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The OP absolutely did not do that. Did you even read the OP, or were you too antsy to pop in here and perpetuate the harmful stereotypes it was trying to address? Don't do that.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

My experience was the same.

My mom told me to call my abuser and "work things out".

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I apologize for that. I truly don't want to make anyone feel worse about being a victim. I am just trying to explain why the status quo of sexual assault research and advocacy looks the way it does. I realize that advocacy groups being dismissive of men who complain about sexual assault is a real issue. It is difficult to reconcile that issue in light of the venerable chorus of voices that undermine the good work that these organizations do, particularly when they often undermine them on the basis that they pay too much attention to women (which is the group that primarily utilizes their services).
It does answer the question. Statscan explains how it gets 7:1, and it's pretty clear. For what it's worth, no one source (including victim reporting) is going to be completely accurate because of various issues (including one you mentioned - a non-uniform rate of reporting across different groups, like minorities).
giphy.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sorry, my mistake. I'll edit my first post.

Also, wasn't trying to downplay the issue whatsoever, just rationalising why the focus of preventatitve/support material might be more heavily weighted towards women.

Not to say there shouldn't be more support for men though.
The focus is on women because women are more likely to be victims, but also because men were excluded from most rape definitions until relatively recently and institutions still de-emphasize and downplay male victimization. Considering that they way institutions gather and publicize data has greatly contributed to the lack of awareness and underreporting of male victimization, they share blame here.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
The focus is on women because women are more likely to be victims, but also because men were excluded from most rape definitions until relatively recently and institutions still de-emphasize and downplay male victimization. Considering that they way institutions gather and publicize data has greatly contributed to the lack of awareness and underreporting of male victimization, they share blame here.
Can't argue with that. I mean "forcible carnal knowledge of a woman" was the literal definition of rape for a long time.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Multiple men? Jesus. Are you comfortable telling your story? Thats horrifying and I can't speak for other men but people I know are very sympathetic towards child rape. I don't think it's the same for adult males unfortunately.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Here's a reality: boys, men and people AMAB face rape, sexual harassment and abuse at all ages. It's something we should be able to discuss and share without some fucking asshole coming in with a "well actually" take derailing the conversation right in the middle of people sharing their experiences of being abused in the past.

Check yourself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it really doesn't. Explain the methodology and show the data if you are going to continue making the claim. I never suggested that one source is going to be accurate, I'm simply saying that victim reporting is more accurate a source than conviction rates because most assaults are not nor ever will be prosecuted. There are also multiple sources of victim reporting contained in the OP, feel free to look through them and explain why you think they are inaccurate. My problem with your posts in this thread, other than you misrepresenting the OP, is that you aren't offering explanations or evidence to back up your claims. I want to know the source of these claims, the methodology behind them, etc. and since you are a researcher who works on this topic then that really shouldn't be a problem for you.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Where is OP trying to change the narrative on sexual assault?

Providing evidence that men are sexually assaulted isn't changing the narrative. Providing evidence that sexual assault of men is underreported and sometimes not even legally considered a crime isn't changing the narrative.

The OP is trying to start a discussion and you have quite clumsily come into this thread, ignored the information provided and taken offence to something that wasn't said.

Don't do that. If you have issues with the sources or figures the OP has provided, source your own to counter them.

Dec 2, 2017
Multiple men? Jesus. Are you comfortable telling your story? Thats horrifying and I can't speak for other men but people I know are very sympathetic towards child rape. I don't think it's the same for adult males unfortunately.
Not right now, maybe another time. I think you'd be surprised at the lack of understanding, even for child abuse.
My experience was the same.

My mom told me to call my abuser and "work things out".
Sounds like something my mothers family would have said.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a reality: boys, men and people AMAB face rape, sexual harassment and abuse at all ages. It's something we should be able to discuss and share without some fucking asshole coming in with a "well actually" take derailing the conversation right in the middle of people sharing their experiences of being abused in the past.

Check yourself.

I can't believe that poster insinuated that OP was trying to ''change the narrative of sexual assault'' when all they've done is shit on a great thread.
Absolutely shameful, disgusting and cowardly.