• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/netflix-button-man-director-brian-helgeland-1203163200/

"42" filmmaker and "L.A. Confidential" scribe Brian Helgeland is set to write and direct "Button Man" for Netflix, sources tell Variety.

Based on on the graphic novel by John Wagner and Arthur Ranson, the movie tells the story of ex-military contractor Harry Exton, considered the first true hero of the post-truth age. Exton's is a proxy in a clandestine competition among the super rich. Paid to fight to the death in modern-day gladiatorial contests, Exton sets out on a relentless journey to use these twisted elites' own dark machine to bring their corrupt world crashing down.

No production start date has been set as Helgeland will now look to cast his Exton.

"Button Man" will be produced by 6th & Idaho's Matt Reeves and Adam Kassan; RingTheJing Entertainment's Roger Kass, and Addictive Pictures' John Schoenfelder and Russell Ackerman. 6th & Idaho's Rafi Crohn, and John Wagner and Arthur Ranson are exec producing with Will Janowitz is co-producing.

I've only just heard about this. It was mentioned in 2000 AD's mailing list today so it seems to be legit. They are offering 50% off the graphic novel because of it.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Yeeessssssssasss!

One of my favourite strips. Was begging for this when Rogue Trooper got announced.

latest

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
This has been in development hell for absolute *yonks*, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic, but this is possibly the nearest it's been to a reality since it was first mooted.

It's an absolutely brilliant strip (originally slated for the short-lived Toxic comic, before that folded and it moved to 2000AD, in spite of the "five seconds in your future" setting and subject matter not quite fitting the 2000AD stable) with some arguably career-best work from Arthur Ranson, and it's one of my favourite British strips. Perfect match for telly, as there's not really anything in there that needs to be seen on the big screen and no real major effects work, and Harry Ex is a nasty bastard who doesn't need "softened" in the way I suspect he might be for a wide release film.

If they get Harry's casting right, and they keep the tone and setting right, this could be great.