• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 30, 2018
Six police officers opened fire on an aspiring rapper in northern California on Saturday, killing the man after he was found asleep inside his car in a Taco Bell drive-thru, authorities said.

Police were called to the fast-food restaurant in Vallejo around 10:30 p.m. Saturday after employees reported seeing a man "slumped over" inside a silver Mercedes-Benz.When officers arrived, they found Willie James McCoy, unresponsive in the driver seat with a handgun on his lap, police said.

"The two officers decided to hold their position and did not attempt to wake the driver," Vallejo police said in a statement. "Instead they decided to wait for additional officers to arrive on scene and ensure that people in the parking lot were safe and did not approach the vehicle."

After additional officers arrived, police tried to open the driver's side door, but were unsuccessful. Officers then positioned a patrol car in front of the Mercedes to prevent it from suddenly moving forward, and tried to move another patrol vehicle behind McCoy's.

It was at that time, police said, that the driver began to wake up and move.

"The driver began to suddenly move and looked at the uniformed patrol officers," police said in a statement. "Officers gave the driver several commands to put his hands up. The driver did not comply and instead moved his hands downward toward the firearm."

Six police officers opened fire at McCoy for about four seconds.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...ampaign=bffbbuzzfeednews&ref=bffbbuzzfeednews

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck. Police out here pretty much playing Mouse Trap, trying to create the most convoluted method to shoot an innocent man.

SIX OFFICERS SHOOTING FOR FOUR SECONDS

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The police should have established a perimeter a few dozen feet away from the car and instructed the driver via bullhorn. While I can't understand why the driver was in the state he was in, there was no pressing need to handle this in a manner that would endanger him or the police. Waking up in that situation while being screamed at would be extremely disorienting.

"Sleeping while black"

Is that a new one? Or have we had that before?

People generally don't go to sleep in the middle of a drive through with a gun in their lap. I think the police were wrong but these are not the usual circumstances that the "____ while black" would fit into.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Makes you think twice about calling the police when you see someone sleeping in a car, or some other situation like this.

If you make a phone call to 911 to report something, you're setting into motion events that may lead to that person's death. That's not what "Serve & Protect" should represent, but that's what it's coming down to.

People who make that phone call should start thinking about that before they make the call. Because you don't know what kind of police response you'll get.

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a tough call. Like wasn't there bodycam footage of this at all? Dude did have a handgun sitting on his lap so I can get why they were a bit concerned, but to unload on the guy? I need to see something to make any rational judgment on this.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
That is sad. Reminded me of this story, which we still don't know the details about what happened:

On Feb. 21, 2016, Inglewood Police Officers Michael Jaen, Richard Parcella, Jason Cantrell, Sean Reidy and Andrew Cohen fired a barrage of 20 bullets into a car while Marquintan Sandlin, 32, and Kisha Michael, 31, sat inside, apparently unconscious.

Autopsies later showed that both Sandlin and Michael had been under the influence of alcohol.

So threatened, in fact, that his police officers opened fire and riddled a car with more than a dozen bullets. There was never any indication that Michael threatened any officer with a weapon.

Shell casings at the scene were evidence that military-grade rifles had been fired, NBC Los Angeles reports.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
The title of the thread is not correct. He was awake.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The title is a bit misleading.

"The driver began to suddenly move and looked at the uniformed patrol officers," police said in a statement. "Officers gave the driver several commands to put his hands up. The driver did not comply and instead moved his hands downward toward the firearm."

OP
OP
Detective Loki
Nov 30, 2018
The title of the thread is not correct. He was awake.

He was sleeping before they arrived and murdered him

Depends, we'll know when footage is released. Everybody's hands move. Doubt they could prove in those seconds he was moving them towards the gun to shoot them.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
So let me get this straight. You shoot a guy 20 times and afterward you try to perform CPR??

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area

Also : "Vallejo Police said the firearm, which was recovered after the shooting, was a 40 caliber handgun that was loaded with an extended magazine. It had been reported stolen from Oregon."

There was another incident in oakland maybe 2 years ago - you'd think they have some better way of handling this. When people get awoken like that they're going to be confused

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe found the gun in his car... But in his lap? I don't know.

Also doesn't seem like witnesses or whoever called the police noticed a gun in his lap. Possible just looking from a distance, but still...

I wonder... was he holding up the drive-thru, or parked somewhere? lol

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
The problem here is if he wasn't black, and he was white with a gun in his lap.. they probably had guns drawn but knock on the window to wake the guy up.

They created a situation where someone being woken like that is going to lead to a situation where the person doesn't realize what's going on right when they wake.

Fucked up way to approach this. No reason you needed all that back up and all those people opening fire. Knock on the window and see what's up.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Sleeping with a gun on your lap in Vallejo? Sounds like he was just taking a nap in Vallejo.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Police always looking for a barely valid excuse to kill "suspicious" looking black men. Seems to me that it's in their training: "wait for the chance, and take them out". It's Fucked up, this shit needs reform.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it's a Black person with a gun or perceived gun, police communicate their commands telepathically, apparently. That would explain the discrepancies between videos showing people being shot on sight and police reports stating the deceased refused to comply after multiple demands from officers on the scene.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not gonna take the police's word for it without proof.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good thing owning a firearm is illegal in the United States.

Oh, wait...

Police are going to approach an obviously armed driver differently than an unarmed driver. Moreover, having a loaded handgun in the passenger cabin of the car isn't legal in California even if the weapon is in plain sight. It's even less legal when the firearm is stolen and loaded with an extended capacity magazine; they wouldn't have known it was stolen at the time but a magazine, let alone an extended one, would be clearly visible from outside the car.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah waiting on some proof for their story, if it's real it's not the smartest thing to do in the first place (sleeping in your car with a gun in your lap ???)

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing in the OP or article says that. It says they asked him to put his hands up. This is why I want to see some bodycam footage or something before passing judgment
And you know that more likely than not, being shot dead within 2 seconds of waking up is what happened. You will probably get your footage a year from now, after everyone gets their fabricated story straight, and a grand jury considers nothing of value was lost.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Isn't the title a little disingenuous? They didn't shoot him while he was asleep. He allegedly was awake and moved his hands towards his lap where a loaded gun was.

Hopefully we get bodycam footage soon.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Well having a gun visible in California is already illegal. You have to have it unloaded, locked and put away here. Extended clips are also illegal. You can't knock on the window unless you a super dumb ass because that's a good way to startle somebody and get shot.

They shouldn't have shot him until the gun was visible from where they were instead of just shooting at any movement. But they're not going to get in trouble over this because that situation is very messy.