• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If the people defending these kids are doing a satirical bit, it's pretty funny, lol

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Kids suck, and fuck em but I get it why people are mad.

People are going to focus on tbe emotional response of the horrible crime these kids could have commited. Understood and fair, I feel it.

However the way they are treated vs Affluenza kid, that kid who raped the 12 year old but "shouldn't have his life ruined" according to the judge, vs that old dude who the judge said the child molested kids were the aggressors...etc.

They are gonna say to themselves, "Well I hate those kids too, why not both? *insert meme*

But it was racist ass Ghandi who said "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members."

And those members include criminals; like when the feds left a bunch to freeze during last week's cold snap.

But America loves its cops and robbers righteous anger shit only when it comes to minorities (domestic terrorism fine cause mental illness one off, foreign terrorism we should stop and investigate cause its an entire ethic/racial group) so play and rage on I guess?

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's really really fucking strange that you seem angrier at the release of their mugshots and the reaction from Trump supporters than you are at the fact that they murdered a man.

Is it stranger than the highest-profile killing in years among conservative news outlets being an accident involving a bullet ricocheting off the ground?

Oct 25, 2017
If the people defending these kids are doing a satirical bit, it's pretty funny, lol
The kids deserve to be punished, thats indisputable, just maybe don't insist stupid things like all 5 pulled the trigger and need to go to prison for life or that just one of them could be stopped the whole thing like mob mentality isn't a thing.

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't even commented on any sort of punishment for these kids, so how exactly am I out for blood? I'm commenting on the story as it's presented. A story involving a man that's been murdered, the anger is directed toward mugshots being released and Twitter users. So yeah, that's certainly strange to me. I don't think anyone is actually defending that their mugshots were released. Realistically it would make sense to not release anyones mugshots until they've actually been found guilty of whatever they're accused of.

As far as the guilty until proven innocent thing that you're talking about. That is something that you're afforded in a court of law. Not a court of public opinion. In this case there'd have to be a lot of coincidences for this to all be a mistake. Like for starters, why exactly did they have in their possession a loaded pistol that had already been reported stolen? They also had another loaded pistol in their possession, even though none of them were old enough that they could legally acquire a gun. Ballistic tests on those alone will tell the story.

I apologize for saying you were out for blood. I was wrong for that.

These sound like some real dumb fuckers to ride around in the car of someone you just shot. They ruined the lives of so many people with this senseless bullshit.

I don't think it's really that strange at the OP not liking the police handling this case a certain way and it becoming any uglier than it already is

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Personally i'm just against the idea of trying kids as adults! Plenty of people find it normal, i just don't

Of course they did something incredibly wrong and deserves some kind of punishement and rehabilitation (especially the younger ones), but they're freaking kids, trying them as adults is just plain wrong to me
We need to stop treating teenagers like they don't know what the fuck murder is or the consequences of taking someones life. I don't care if they are 13 or 31. They knew what they did, they don't deserve a light sentence and smack on the wrist.

Oct 25, 2017
We need to stop treating teenagers like they don't know what the fuck murder is or the consequences of taking someones life. I don't care if they are 13 or 31. They knew what they did, they don't deserve a light sentence and smack on the wrist.
Well, one murdered, the rest are accessories, so you can see why some would take issue with "they should all be locked up for life", and disagreeing with that doesn't mean you think they should get a slap on the wrist. But what's the point of keeping someone in jail past 30 if they committed a crime at 13?

Someone here told a story of their brother getting 50 years for armed robbery at 17 (robbing a home and having a shotgun in the trunk). You think that's normal? Is that what you want?

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize for saying you were out for blood. I was wrong for that.

These sound like some real dumb fuckers to ride around in the car of someone you just shot. They ruined the lives of so many people with this senseless bullshit.

I don't think it's really that strange at the OP not liking the police handling this case a certain way and it becoming any uglier than it already is

I don't think they stole his car. From the article:

All five were inside a stolen Chevrolet Colorado pick-up truck in an alley running behind Yorlets' home Thursday afternoon when they spotted him outside, cops said. They "interacted" with him before they snatched his wallet and demanded that he fork over his car keys, according to authorities.

So the teens were in a stolen pick-up, wanted Yorlet's keys (to a different vehicle), he was shot, then the police found the pick-up in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Then the cops arrested the teens inside.

[edit] not exactly right, the teens are alleged to have ditched the pickup at another location and drove a Santa Fe to the Wal-mart.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
See the purpose of prison is rehabilitation not punishment, unless the ultimate end goal here is for all murders to spend the rest of their lives in prison. Even when tried as adults the purpose is to rehabilitate them that's why those sentences are limited unless the crime is particularly heinous. So this idea that just because they're kids they deserve no chances of rehabilitation makes no sense. The purpose of prison is ultimately rehabilitation not punishment. Otherwise all your doing is kicking the can down the road, that helps no one.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Minors are to be trialed as minors. No exceptions. Making case by case exceptions because some of them make us more angry is not how a civilized society functions.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the press release from the police:

https://www.nashville.gov/News-Medi...hursdays-Murder-of-Musician-Kyle-Yorlets.aspx

Five Juveniles Charged with Thursday's Murder of Musician Kyle Yorlets

2/8/2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

North Precinct detectives this morning charged five juveniles with criminal homicide for Thursday afternoon's fatal shooting of Belmont graduate and local musician Kyle Yorlets outside his home in the 3200 block of Torbett Street.

Under Tennessee law, three of the five can be identified here because they are charged with homicide and they are over the age of 13. The three are [redacted] Also charged are a 12-year-old girl and a 13-year-old boy.

The investigation shows that the five were in a stolen Chevrolet Colorado pickup truck in the alley that runs behind Yorlets' home when they spotted him outside. The juveniles interacted with Yorlets, took his wallet, and ultimately demanded that he surrender the keys to his vehicle. It is believed that he was fatally shot after he refused.

By early Thursday evening, the stolen pickup truck was recovered on Timberland Drive in the Hermitage Precinct. Concerted and coordinated work by the Juvenile Crime Task Force, Youth Services detectives and North Precinct detectives led to information that the teens had traveled to the West Nashville Wal-Mart on Charlotte Pike. Officers went there and apprehended all five. A loaded nine millimeter pistol, which had been reported stolen, was recovered from them. A second loaded and stolen pistol was recovered from inside the store. The vehicle in which they traveled to the Wal-Mart, a Hyundai Santa Fe stolen from Brentwood, was also recovered.

###

I redacted the names because I'm not sure what Era's policy would be.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I think it'd be better if there was a more family / school environment for those kids as opposed to behind bars. I mean they'd still be in a prison with guards and the like, but with people their own age still getting an education and non optional therapy. I don't know if people who commit this type of crime could ever be "normal" again and live a normal life. But they should probably get a chance to try in a protected environment.

But we live in the real world and they'll probably just get thrown in a hole and forgotten about.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah, I thought it was the same truck and they stole it after they shot him

Sorry, I was wrong.

Police timeline is this (according to police statement release above):

Teens steal Chevrolet Colorado (location not stated).

Teens take Chevrolet Colorado to victim's house on Torbett St. and attempt to car jack him.

Teens ditch Chevrolet Colorado on Timberland drive.

Teens steal Hyundai Santa Fe in Brentwood.

Police recover Hyundai Santa Fe at Charlotte Pike Wal-Mart parking lot, arrest teens inside Wal-Mart.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
well i'm glad that you find me funny... On the other hand, the amount of people wanting to throw people as young as 12 y/o in jail, tried as adults.... that definitely doesn't make me laugh

The kids deserve to be punished, thats indisputable, just maybe don't insist stupid things like all 5 pulled the trigger and need to go to prison for life or that just one of them could be stopped the whole thing like mob mentality isn't a thing.

I was actually referring to the people talking about "waiting for the facts first" and all the talking points people use in other threads

Yeah, maybe don't send the 12 year olds to the firing squad, lol.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Personally i'm just against the idea of trying kids as adults! Plenty of people find it normal, i just don't

Of course they did something incredibly wrong and deserves some kind of punishement and rehabilitation (especially the younger ones), but they're freaking kids, trying them as adults is just plain wrong to me

They. Murdered.Someone.

kids or not this is deserves long jail time.

Last edited:

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kids suck, and fuck em but I get it why people are mad.

People are going to focus on tbe emotional response of the horrible crime these kids could have commited. Understood and fair, I feel it.

However the way they are treated vs Affluenza kid, that kid who raped the 12 year old but "shouldn't have his life ruined" according to the judge, vs that old dude who the judge said the child molested kids were the aggressors...etc.

They are gonna say to themselves, "Well I hate those kids too, why not both? *insert meme*

But it was racist ass Ghandi who said "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members."

And those members include criminals; like when the feds left a bunch to freeze during last week's cold snap.

But America loves its cops and robbers righteous anger shit only when it comes to minorities (domestic terrorism fine cause mental illness one off, foreign terrorism we should stop and investigate cause its an entire ethic/racial group) so play and rage on I guess?
Exactly, but no we immediately condem these kids. Whatever I'll eat that b.s. warning i got. Send them to the firing squad with no trial right?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They. Murdered.Someone.

kids or not this is deserves the ultimate punishments.
"The ultimate punishments" huh? Fuck all those kids I guess, they are all a lost cause. None of them could have possibly got wrapped up in some bad shit at a young age and could learn different.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I think it's understandable to be angry about something like this. I don't think there's any point in telling people to "just calm down".

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
But not old enough to be considered as an adult and truly knowing the repercussion of what they're doing... that's why they're not allowed to vote, sign a contract, consent to sex, drive, drink, and many other things... they're kids in any of these cases, why does this suddenly change when it involves murder?

You're all excepting freakin KIDS to grow up the same and everyone having the exact same cirumstances in life? This is ridiculous
The difference with all of those is Murder is wrong no matter the age. I remember 13. If I killed someone on purpose, I would expect to go to prison or be locked up in some capacity for a long long time.

Deleted member 52988

Account closed at user request
Banned
Feb 2, 2019
I'm not a fan of particeps criminis applying in this instance. Like if a 12 year old is hanging around with a bad crew and was standing there wetting their pants while this went down then they should obviously be punished, but not as harshly.

But whoever was primarily responsible for this should go away for a long, loooong time.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a 16 year old murdered someone I love I would want nothing but the full extent of the law on their asses. A 16 year old should be tried as an adult for murder because it's ridiculous they're not "mature" enough to understand the consequences.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone saying to lock theses kids up and throw away the keys are just as fucking stupid.

The police rounded up five black teens away from the crime scene, I think we can be fairly confident in US law enforcement here. /s

Sorry for the sarcasm, but reading the other comments in this thread, I just have to wonder -maybe there are witnesses and security cameras and physical evidence and the ballistics match etc. etc., but maybe let the state show the public first? Like, we've seen this script before, for decades and decades.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
Where would kids tried as adults and convicted of adults even go? Adult jail? That seems so insane to me. A 12 year old potentially being in a cell with a 40 year old who-knows-what. Damn

You need an adult mind to be guilty of an adult crime. Y'know, there's a reason it's "guilty" or "not guilty" and not "guilty" or "innocent," right? You can still do an act and not be guilty of the crime. These kids need rehabilitation, not jailtime.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
They shouldn't have released the mugshots. Didn't even bother clicking any links after reading that here. As for trying them as adults, I can't say as I, like I said haven't read much info about this yet. In order to try them as adults they really need to prove what their mental capacity was I think IMO. Regardless there are some very serious obvious underlying issues going on with these kids and needs to be taken care of be it tried as an adult, some sort of psych help, juvenile detention etc.

bubbles

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA/Thailand
They are children and should not be tried as adults, including the older ones. They should absolutely be given some sort of chance at still becoming beneficial members of society when they grow into adulthood.their brains are simply not fully developed and fail to grasp the seriousness of some of the actions that they do.

But realistically, it's a safe assumption that this will not happen. It is sad to say that. Their home life's, community and cultures are almost surely broken and led them to this point in their lives. Unless those things are fixed, all of them will probably end up back in trouble with the authorities before they're 25 years old.

Deleted member 15848

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they were able to get guns, steal a vehicle, and then killed a innocent young man in front of his own home. Yeah, no sympathy from me that's for the victim and his loved ones.

I hope they're locked up for a long time.