• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Should be treated as minors, because that's what they are.

If our justice system wasn't trash, we'd never have to have such a conversation.

Imagine if the ultimate goal was rehabilitation as well. Insane, I know.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So if a 16 year old murdered someone you were close to you would cool with them living a normal life because they said sorry? The laws need to be changed
If you really cannot see any other option beyond a binary "life in prison without parole" and "living a normal life after saying sorry", then I suppose there's no point in having a discussion.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you really cannot see any other option beyond a binary "life in prison without parole" and "living a normal life after saying sorry", then I suppose there's no point in having a discussion.

But there is a binary "one day you're a kid and the next day you're an adult" when prosecuting people, which doesn't seem right, either.

OP
OP
Fushichou187

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
It's really really fucking strange that you seem angrier at the release of their mugshots and the reaction from Trump supporters than you are at the fact that they murdered a man.

Why is it "really really fucking strange" for you? I think this situation is awful for all parties involved; for the family grieving the horrific loss of a loved one & for the lives of these children that are irrevocably fucked by their stupid and cruel actions.

I can feel that and also be angered by a Tennessee law that allows mugshots of children that are charged with (as opposed to guilty of) homicide as long as they are older than 13. I can also be disgusted with how this incident is being used as a proxy battleground by racists online by using this incident as a vector to hijack stories about Black History Month to tout their disdain for African Americans.

and I think you are crazy thinking these "kids" deserve any kind of second chance. Once you get to high school you know what is right and wrong

One of the kids charged is 12. I was in 6th grade when I was 12. That was elementary school where I grew up.

You are considerably more upset over the release of the mugshots than the fact they just killed a man. Your post is unbelievably tone deaf.

I can be upset at both, yeah? If not, what would you prescribe as the appropriate ratio?

Also the hot takes from LockThemUpERA ITT are pretty astounding. So, you all think that 5 children all put their hand on the gun and killed this person, and are therefore all equally guilty? Maybe wait for the facts to come out over what happened and who was responsible for what before advocating incarcerating everyone for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Turning 18 is not a magical number that allows you to handle grown up jail better.
They took a life, lock them up.

That's a dumb argument...unless you think the people who say that mean you just change your birthday in the life options menu. Even within a year...kids develop.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That's a dumb argument...unless you think the people who say that mean you just change your birthday in the life options menu. Even within a year...kids develop.
These kids killed someone

They didn't Rob a store
They didn't take a car for a joyride
They murdered someone.

Murder, OP is more concerned about political optics than the fact someone got killed over some damn car keys.

Yes lock them up, they are going to need a long ass time figuring out what they did was wrong.
Saying sorry doesn't cut it.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

They didn't Rob a store
They murdered someone.

Murder, OP is more concerned about political optics than the fact someone got killed over some damn car keys.

Yes lock them up, they are going to need a long ass time figuring out what they did was wrong.

That's not what I'm talking about. Your other argument is dumb because it completely ignores human development.

Hindenburg

Dec 30, 2018
I can see justification for trying the one that actually pulled the trigger as an adult.

The others, maybe not - especially if they cooperate with the investigation. Even then, they'll all need some serious rehab.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory thread derailment
The same people saying these kids should have another opportunity to have their life back are the same crucifying Liam Neeson

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

They didn't Rob a store
They murdered someone.

you're acting like not getting tried as an adult is getting scott free without any consequences... that's absolutely not the case at all

you seems to think it's like these asshole judge that let rapist go free because that could hurt their student career... there's things in between that actually exists you know... juvies and many other things... but of course you need good judges behind that to deliver the correct sentence, but that's a whole other debate

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Personally i'm just against the idea of trying kids as adults! Plenty of people find it normal, i just don't

Of course they did something incredibly wrong and deserves some kind of punishement and rehabilitation (especially the younger ones), but they're freaking kids, trying them as adults is just plain wrong to me

They killed a man m8, is not like they stole a magazine or something, and it wasn't a mistake or an accident, they were trying to steal his he refused to give it and they shit him in cold blood.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
you're acting like not getting tried as an adult is getting scott free without any consequences... that's absolutely not the case at all

you seems to think it's like these asshole judge that let rapist go free because that could hurt their student career... there's things in between that actually exists you know... juvies and many other things... but of course you need good judges behind that to deliver the correct sentence, but that's a whole other debate
Sure they can go to juvie, but once they hit 18 they can continue on in jail, the one that pulled the trigger at least.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

They didn't Rob a store
They murdered someone.

Locking them up a long ass time will not help them think what they did was wrong, more likely they will turn worse.

Rehabilitation should be key, hence why such countries jail system work better.

Oct 31, 2017
So, you all think that 5 children all put their hand on the gun and killed this person, and are therefore all equally guilty?

Of course they do, like the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers brought all their weapons together to make one big gun that they all shot together

The same people saying these kids should have another opportunity to have their life back are the same crucifying Liam Neeson

why is it always about race with you people? These children deserve due process, no matter what.

Neeson is literally not being put to death by being nailed on a cross, stop exageratting. Liam Neeson isn't a victim; a man was killed and you're talking about fucking Liam Neeson... who went out to kill someone, yet you're defending him. You don't give one fuck about who is killed or targeted or not; you just want to flame some race war bullshit

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it "really really fucking strange" for you? I think this situation is awful for all parties involved; for the family grieving the horrific loss of a loved one & for the lives of these children that are irrevocably fucked by their stupid and cruel actions.

I can feel that and also be angered by a Tennessee law that allows mugshots of children that are charged with (as opposed to guilty of) homocide as long as they are older than 13. I can also be disgusted with how this incident is being used as a proxy battleground by racists online by using this incident as a vector to hijack stories about Black History Month to tout their disdain for African Americans.

I'm talking about where most of your anger is directed. In column A you've got some kids that stole a car, stole a guys wallet, acquired a firearm illegally and it all culminated in the murder of a man. In column B you have the release of mugshots of under 18 kids and some Trump supporters on Twitter. Yet you're clearly angrier about the mugshots and Twitter comments than a man who lost his life. How is that not strange?

Oct 31, 2017
I'm talking about where most of your anger is directed. In column A you've got some kids that stole a car, stole a guys wallet, acquired a firearm illegally and it all culminated in the murder of a man. In column B you have the release of mugshots of under 18 kids and some Trump supporters on Twitter. Yet you're clearly angrier about the mugshots and Twitter comments than a man who lost his life. How is that not strange?

There are people in here more outraged that Liam Neeson is being crucified than there are that this man was killed.

Let's not pretend any of you care about this man's alleged killer's being rightfully brought to justice you're out for the blood of the accused without any facts or a conviction

You should ask yourself why you're out for blood instead of justice before calling the OP strange

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying "the children shot the musician" is based on what? Did they each pass around a gun and take one shot each? I certainly think there is an issue with these kids trying to take the car as a group, but if only one took out the gun and shot they guy, that makes the others guilty? Do we know for sure whether or not the other kids objected?
adults participating in a robbery that turns into murder also get charged with murder even if they didn't pull the trigger.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's really really fucking strange that you seem angrier at the release of their mugshots and the reaction from Trump supporters than you are at the fact that they murdered a man.
There's nothing wrong with wanting alleged child offenders privacy protected, especially for minority children. Remember the Central Park Five and the bloodlust?

Oct 31, 2017
adults participating in a robbery that turns into murder also get charged with murder even if they didn't pull the trigger.

Not everyone is charged the same and we don't know who could have been coerced

Guys, you either care about justice or satisfying your bloodlust. Being concerned with due process shouldn't be fucking strange and connecting this story to shit like Liam Neeson is pure agenda race war bullshit

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
User Warned: Inappropriate Commentary
Car keys or money is not worth life. If anybody gets in that situation just give them what they want. The rest can be tracked down or replaced. Sad stupid stuff. What a shame.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Something" doesn't "feel" right?
I and elegantweapon were satirizing the response to these kinds of stories when the demographics were reversed. See the Jussie Smollett thread where people found it unbelievable that a black man could be the target of an attempted lynching by Trump supporters in 2019.

Oct 31, 2017
I and elegantweapon were satirizing the response to these kinds of stories when the demographics were reversed. See the Jussie Smollett thread where people found it unbelievable that a black man could be the target of an attempted lynching by Trump supporters in 2019.

My post was satire but the story does sound janky, too.

It's not like I trust the cops or the courts to conduct a fair trail and we already know how the court of opinion and mainstream media is going to use this case, as if they care about the man who was killed.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at this from a 1000 ft view and strictly dispassionately, the story makes me want to investigate certain statistics.

1) What's the rate at which police and the media release the mug shots of underage suspects that are POC vs white?

2) What are the statistics on how often children of color are charged as adults versus white children.

3) Will a judge consider these children's lives possibly being ruined the same way that seems to be a prime concern when sentencing white perpetrators of rape?

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, I'm against the release of mugshots altogether, especially before being convicted, but I'm not sure why the fact that they're a minor crosses a line for some, especially if they're being tried as adults (deservedly so)
Why do they deserve to be tried as adults? Did their brains magically mature after committing the crime?

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
watching folks here be completely dismissive of mugshots of minors being put out doesnt surprise me especially after hearing they're black. smh.

r.i.p to mr. yorlets.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My post was satire but the story does sound janky, too.

It's not like I trust the cops or the courts to conduct a fair trail and we already know how the court of opinion and mainstream media is going to use this case, as if they care about the man who was killed.
I don't believe the incident is janky (although there's nothing in the Buzzfeed article beyond a straight recounting of events).

I do believe the black kids are utterly fucked though, because we know how the system works.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Yes my argument is dumb because I don't think children should get a slap on the wrist for murdering people. These kids are not the children of our future.

Your argument possesses no nuance...so i can see how you'd miss the human element of the story. Your only angle is the punishment.