• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
I don't believe the incident is janky (although there's nothing in the Buzzfeed article beyond a straight recounting of events).

I do believe the black kids are utterly fucked though, because we know how the system works.

They say they found stolen guns but not necessarily the murder weapon. The story didn't mention witnesses or anything like a security camera that captured the murder.

Besides the cops charging the kids(which obviously doesn't mean they're guilty), I'm not seeing anything that proves they are guilty so I'm not going to jump into a fit like some people here love to do before we have any facts but we know how outrage culture is these days and the bloodlust stories like these bring out

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
I don't believe the incident is janky (although there's nothing in the Buzzfeed article beyond a straight recounting of events).

I do believe the black kids are utterly fucked though, because we know how the system works.
Sadly, the kids are likely to become statistics.

And damn, it seems Era is getting heated lately.

Last edited:

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
for the people defending the decision to put the mugshots on tv, you do understand that it's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty and that showing mugshots of anyone until they are tried and convicted should not be allowed at all, right?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally i'm just against the idea of trying kids as adults! Plenty of people find it normal, i just don't

Of course they did something incredibly wrong and deserves some kind of punishement and rehabilitation (especially the younger ones), but they're freaking kids, trying them as adults is just plain wrong to me
"some kind of punishment" ??

dude if they murdered him who cares what age they are. they're monsters.

Deleted member 51103

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Portland, Oregon
Not going to defend the kids for killing someone. Gun violence is disgusting. Gang violence is disgusting. But a lot of these comments are ignorant. This looks like standard gang violence to me.

I just want to point out that this happens almost every day in Chicago, the big difference being the victim of this crime being a middle-class white person. [0]

This is what gang violence looks like. Kids with guns, the older ones strong-arming the younger ones into participating in the gang.

Saying "they had a choice" isn't fully fair. Kids who do not join the gangs are harassed, beaten, and often killed. This is the cycle that white supremacy, institutionalized racism, and multi-generational poverty creates. There is nobody feeding these people, nobody helping these people, and nobody protecting these kids from the gangs.

The last time these communities tried to organize, the FBI assassinated their leaders [1] and criminalized their recreational drugs [2] in order to stamp out the movement. This is the culture that forms when people have to live in poverty with a boot on their neck.

Recommended reading:

- The New Jim Crow
- Contelpro: The FBI's Secret War on Political Freedom
- Are Prison's Obsolete?

0: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-homicides-data-tracker-htmlstory.html
1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hampton
2: https://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/poli...chard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/index.html

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The anger towards these kids isn't because they're black, it's because they senselessly killed another human being. Their race has no bearing on the conversation.
In none of the threads about white terrorists and serial killers we've had on here have I personally seen anyone go after their parents as deserving of jail time too. They seem to get the privilege of being lone wolves and standing only for themselves. I could be completely wrong, though; I haven't read every post on here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
you're fine calling 12-13 y/o monsters, young impressionable kids that have probably been heavily influenced by older ones? Fine suit yourself, humanity is way more complexe than that though, it's not just good and evil
that'd be fine if we were talking about stealing snacks from the store. but we're talking about murder.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Doesn't the article mention they're being tried as minors? If so, why are we arguing about them being charged as adults?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
In none of the threads about white terrorists and serial killers we've had on here have I personally seen anyone go after their parents as deserving of jail time too. They seem to get the privilege of being lone wolves and standing only for themselves. I could be completely wrong, though; I haven't read every post on here.

well if the white terrorists and serial killers were 12 parental responsibility would probably pop up

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't the article mention they're being tried as minors? If so, why are we arguing about them being charged as adults?
Because multiple people have expressed displeasure at the fact that these minors are being charged as minors.

Does that have anything to do with the race of these children? Statistics would suggest yes, given that black children are far more likely to be charged as adults compared to white children.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is unfortunately not the way a lot of things work anymore. My mom is a high school teacher and not even allowed to fail kids for cheating anymore. The guidelines for her school say the kids might not know what they were doing is wrong.
Turns out we know a lot more about brain development now than we did 20 years ago. Are you advocating we ignore scientific research?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I would prefer it if we did not allow newspapers to publish photos of juveniles. I'd also like it if we didn't demand kids be locked away for life for crimes committed while they are not adults. Rehabilitation would kinda be the big hope here since again they are still kids.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Stealing a car, threatening someone to hand over their wallet - Juvie

Shooting someone dead - Absolutely jail time/most serious punishments.

I don't know what we are fighting for here. When I read the thread title I didn't realise the op was going to be about MAGA and race I thought it was going to be about how tragic and scary something like this can happen.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
They killed a man. They knew what they were doing. Agree 100%.

They don't belong in general society at the very least. Don't know how you can course correct this, with whatever rehab they get they still killed someone in cold blood. And of course Maga idiots are co opting this for their own gross reasons. The story here is how these kids got to the point where they thought killing this poor dude was a good idea. Fucked up.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't get what you are trying to say. What does brain development have to do with kids cheating in school.
It has to do with the guidelines for discipline you were complaining about. Yes, it turns out that teenagers may not have a clear idea of the consequences and ramifications of, say, cheating on a test, due to their brains not being fully developed. Thus the approach to discipline and teaching has changed along with the knowledge we have about the brain development of children.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
It has to do with the guidelines for discipline you were complaining about. Yes, it turns out that teenagers may not have a clear idea of the consequences and ramifications of, say, cheating on a test, due to their brains not being fully developed. Thus the approach to discipline and teaching has changed along with the knowledge we have about the brain development of children.

But would you say that the children should be taught what they are doing is wrong? Or teachers let it slide because the kids dont know what they are doing is wrong?

Oct 31, 2017
well if the white terrorists and serial killers were 12 parental responsibility would probably pop up

Dylan Roof was given the murder weapon by his parents there we no resounding call to jail or punishment for them, that I remember

In fact, a significant chunk of school shooters are youthful white males and "lock up the parents" isn't something we hear after these constant events

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and I think you are crazy thinking these "kids" deserve any kind of second chance. Once you get to high school you know what is right and wrong
Your post is the literal embodiment of what's wrong with the American justice system and why your incarceration rate is as fucked up compared to other first world countries.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But would you say that the children should be taught what they are doing is wrong? Or teachers let it slide?
There is a wide gulf between 'automatic failure' and 'letting it slide'. Yes, they should be taught that cheating is wrong. The methods of doing that should be updated as society has more knowledge on how to handle disciplining children in the most effective manner. Used to be that children would get paddled for that behavior, but we learned that such punishments just cause harm and don't solve anything.

Just like there is a wide gulf between 'charge minors as adults' and 'minors face no consequences for murder'. There should be consequences and rehabilitation, but it should differ from the methods used for adults...because they are not adults.

schwifty

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I do agree that punishing the parents is extreme

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
There is a wide gulf between 'automatic failure' and 'letting it slide'. Yes, they should be taught that cheating is wrong. The methods of doing that should be updated as society has more knowledge on how to handle disciplining children in the most effective manner. Used to be that children would get paddled for that behavior, but we learned that such punishments just cause harm and don't solve anything.

Just like there is a wide gulf between 'charge minors as adults' and 'minors face no consequences for murder'. There should be consequences and rehabilitation, but it should differ from the methods used for adults...because they are not adults.

We agree on bolded, but that is not the case. They have to let it slide every single time. They can bring it up to head faculty and they might get talked to. But all work submitted, even if caught cheating during it, is valid and must be taken. Repeat offenders are not treated differently. I think practices like this are more harmful to kids learning. I think I should of explained my opening post better, my bad for sounding like an asshole.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Fucking sad. Those kids are young and It's sad that their parents failed them. But they killed a man for no fucking reason. So I'm feeling far more sad for the man that was murdered.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I certainly don't remember calls to punish the parents of the white supremacists in Charlottesville.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have 150 years that show our method of punishing criminals is a complete boondoggle but both sides agree that who cares fuck criminals let's keep going.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Canada, we have a publication ban on releasing information on unconvicted children. It's been fine.

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory False Equivalence and History of Similar Behavior
It's "strange" that people in here are calling for outrage culture and mob justice over due process

These kid's have rights as minors and they deserve to be proven guilty in a fair trial before judgement, period

some of you have such a unjustified bloodlust, you're not any better than these kids

Like, I get what you're doing, but a dude is dead so this ain't the one.

I'm not going to apologize for insisting on due process before outrage culture but do you

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I get what you're doing, but a dude is dead so this ain't the one.
The kids are also in custody. They're going to be handled by the system as the system seems fit regardless of whether or not there are judicial shenanigans afoot; nothing anyone says here is going to change that.