• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
In honor of Valentine's Day, Buzzfeed (with the help of Compitech) has created a list of most popular rom-coms by state.

www.buzzfeed.com

Here Are The Most Popular Rom-Coms In Each State According To People Who Actually Live There

Does your state love <i>Pretty Woman</i>, <i>Crazy Rich Asians</i>, or something else???

Some of them were obvious (New Yorkers like When Harry Met Sally? Duh.) But there are a couple of surprises, such as Sleepless in Seatttle not being the most popular in Washington state.

And for those who chose His Girl Friday, mad respect for those states.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As a life long Georgian, I am shocked at the their answer

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Oh thank fuck my fellow Washatonians were smart and picked a good move like 10 things I hate about you. I was deeply concerned it'd be something super corny like "Sleepless in Seattle" (Corny not in that the movie is corny, but corny in that it seems like the stereotypical response).

Also props to our Neighbors Idaho and Oregon for having good taste as well. c:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Happy with Arizona's choice. Shocked to see anyone would choose My Big Fat Greek Wedding. To this day I have no idea how that piece of shit movie ever became popular.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
In honor of Valentine's Day, Buzzfeed (with the help of Compitech) has created a list of most popular rom-coms by state.

www.buzzfeed.com

Here Are The Most Popular Rom-Coms In Each State According To People Who Actually Live There

Does your state love <i>Pretty Woman</i>, <i>Crazy Rich Asians</i>, or something else???

Some of them were obvious (New Yorkers like When Harry Met Sally? Duh.) But there are a couple of surprises, such as Sleepless in Seatttle not being the most popular in Washington state.

And for those who chose His Girl Friday, mad respect for those states.

His Girl Friday is such a bonkers movie. I am pretty sure Cary Grant is playing the literal devil in it.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I was surprised (but pleasantly so) to see Amélie on the list. Also, nice to see 50 First Dates and Clueless making the list. I think 50 First Dates tends to get ignored by a lot of people who hate Adam Sandler movies, and that's a shame, because it's such a great movie. While I love Clueless (and actually just purchased it on Blu-ray in a two-pack with Mean Girls), I'm surprised it's so beloved now, as so much of just comes off as dated to me.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts here...

Please don't be fever pitch
please don't be fever pitch
please don't be fever pi...

Say anything

Thank god.

I think for my generation, old millennials, I agree with that. I doubt anybody under 26 has ever seen or knows anything about Say Anything, though. It was a pretty major movie among my friends in high school. Late 90s there was kinda like a John Cusack renaissance... Con Air, High Fidelity, Grosse Point Blank, and Say Anything got a revival, along with 80s Brat Pack movies that were on constant TNT/TBS/USA cable loop so my friends and I were all into them.

New Jersey Silver Linings Playbook ... kinda weird that it's not Pennsylvania / Philly... Oh, n/m. It's both.

I don't know how this thing decided, but a lot of good movies on here. ALmost no bad ones, save for maybe one too many Adam Sandler movies.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Oh thank fuck my fellow Washatonians were smart and picked a good move like 10 things I hate about you. I was deeply concerned it'd be something super corny like "Sleepless in Seattle" (Corny not in that the movie is corny, but corny in that it seems like the stereotypical response).

Also props to our Neighbors Idaho and Oregon for having good taste as well. c:

10 things is beloved around here, because they utilized so many cool places in the area. Oh and you can't do paintball at gasworks park.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Princess Bride is considered a romantic comedy? Ok then. Thats as bad a take as the Dark Souls Green Knight guy.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Really surprised Fever Pitch wasn't Massachusetts' favorite.

Wedding Singer for NH makes complete sense though.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I have to watch this again this weekend.

giphy.gif

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Happy with Arizona's choice. Shocked to see anyone would choose My Big Fat Greek Wedding. To this day I have no idea how that piece of shit movie ever became popular.

Like, the film opens up with a woman who has very traditional parents that expect her to get married. I expected the film to be about her challenging their cultural biases by getting into a non-traditional relationship or not getting married at all, but nope! Turns out the parents were right and all she needed to do was settle down.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

Did you grow up in an "ethnic" (ugh) family? The focus might have been on the Greek angle, but coming from an Italian background it felt really real.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Not enough places picking Princess Bride imo. Clueless being a top pick is good though. Also lol at NY picking When Harry Met Sally.

Oct 27, 2017
wow my state (Nebraska) got something right, but I wouldn't necessarily call There's Something About Mary a romcom, just a pure comedy

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always really doubt the methodology on these sorts of lists.

That being said pleasantly surprised to see so many classics on that list. Not sure I'd qualify His Girl Friday as a romance though, personally... Cary Grant is an amazingly huge asshole in it. It's like an anti-romance.

Virginia made the right call though. Roman Holiday is the GOAT. Where's my Bluray?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread should be posted every time you lost faith in some rancid hellhole state.

This is seriously pretty life affirming.

Lousiana, I apologize. Y'all are PEOPLE.

Idaho, I'ma hug your taters in PRIVATE.

Almost everyone is surprising me.

Except Kansas.

Kansas staying Kansas for the forseeable future.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
44/50 States be like:
2E49C6E8DC1E0A9BA184EA22AEBA85DDB9AA1F94

Meanwhile Georgia, Oregon, Utah, New York, Idaho and Louisiana got their heads on straight

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
North Carolina surprising me with their excellent taste. (Although I suspect it was probably Asheville and Wilmington making up for the rest of the state.)

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I love them both, but the two movies on that list that take place in the Seattle area (10 Things I Hate About You and Say Anything) are so hilariously anachronistic in terms of geography.

Well played, Louisiana. I heart Amelie hard.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, that's fucking weird. I grew up in Montana and my parents took me to What Women Want when I was a kid, literally the only RomCom I ever saw in theaters.