• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
This thread has been created and closed a few times now because the only primary source has been the Daily Mail, a notoriously untrustworthy gossip tabloid. However, in Buzzfeed's own piece (which does admittedly cite the original report) Buzzfeed also reports having been in contact with the nursing company in question who is claiming its nurses were harassed.

Marvel comic book creator Stan Lee on Tuesday denied allegations that he groped or was inappropriate with his former in-home nurses.

The Daily Mail on Tuesday reported that the 95-year-old legend who helped bring about the likes of Spider-Man, the Hulk, Thor, Black Panther, and the X-Men, allegedly harassed and assaulted his home nurses to the point that the provider, Concierge Nursing Care, stopped working with him.

Relevant quote:

[Lee's attorney] said he has also sent Concierge Nursing Care a letter regarding the claims, but has not received a response.

The company's founder, Elizabeth Weaver, told BuzzFeed News that she has not made any legal claim or demand for money.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/marcusjone...t-toward-his?utm_term=.ol1POm6201#.xl4a6k7D5n

At this point, as someone who rather vocally doubted that said accusations really existed, it's time to acknowledge that the alleged victims and claims are indeed real, regardless as to the veracity of said claims.

Believe victims.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it. The man is almost 100 years old and his mind just isn't there anymore.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was either going to be sad when Stan Lee died or it turned out he was an asshole.

guess its the latter.

OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
I dont really think Buzzfeed is a credible news agency but anything is better then dailymail

"Buzzfeed News" has generally proven to be a fairly reliable news source and has broken several major stories, especiall major political stories like the Steele Dossier. I believe they are somewhat independent from Buzzfeed the entertainment network.

Am I misreading something here? I'm confused.

Sorry, my dumb ass forgot to include the first chunk of the article about what the sexual harassment claims were. I added it in. That's my bad.

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's very disappointing.

I hate to sound like it's making excuses, because it's not - this is wrong and I feel awful for the victims. But at what point do we question what role age and mental condition plays? As someone who worked in a nursing home for 5 years people can do some....strange and very out of character things, even when they might otherwise appear functional.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont really think Buzzfeed is a credible news agency but anything is better then dailymail
I mean, Buzzfeed's listicles are not credible, but their actual journalism department is quite good. They've broken a couple scoops like the R. Kelly stuff, the stuff about the bank in Malta, and so on.

But, goddamn it, Stan.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

I hate to sound like it's making excuses, because it's not - this is wrong and I feel awful for the victims. But at what point do we question what role age and mental condition plays? As someone who worked in a nursing home for 5 years people can do some....strange and very out of character things, even when they might otherwise appear functional.
At the point where you're 95 years old.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I bet nurses get harassed all the time in these places.
I can verify this. I've heard countless stories about this from friends but usually they can't do anything about it because their mind just isn't there anymore. How can you hold accountable someone's actions if they have Alzheimer's for example? It's a bad situation all around.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buzzfeed News claims to have been in contact with the president of the nursing company whose nurses allegedly were harassed. That means a second primary source aside from the Daily Mail has confirmed that the allegations exist.

It seems to confirm the woman exists. Doesn't it say she said she isn't making any claims in a legal sense or for money?

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, just read the article and I don't see where it confirms allegations against Lee. It just cites the DM article.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Buzzfeed News claims to have been in contact with the president of the nursing company whose nurses allegedly were harassed. That means a second primary source aside from the Daily Mail has confirmed that the allegations exist.

To be fair what Buzzfeed got was that them denying they were trying to get money from Lee

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the Stan Lee worship was both unwarranted and silly, but him being a jackass is not how I wanted people to stop idolizing him.

OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky

I think it's worth considering. It can both be true that several nurses were unfairly harassed, and that Stan Lee's age may be playing into mental health problems that aren't public. Dude's 95. Amd acknowledging that doesn't have to mean minimizing the actions or forgiving them, just maybe understanding why they happened.

(This all assumes that Lee never sexually harassed someone when younger, which I'd prefer we not get too hard into without allegations)

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I bet nurses get harassed all the time in these places.
Of course they do. Loss of impulse control is a symptom of dementia, if not of senility in general. My grandmother of 90 hits her nurses. My other grandmother of 84 who's starting to get there has for whatever reason started talking about sexual topics to me, something she has never done. It's what happens at that age, I think.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
At what point do we brush things off like this when it involves a senile old man? I'm not saying this to dismiss he victims, I just think that at a certain point when older people tend to lose their wits it becomes difficult to hold them to the same standards as someone who has their head on straight.

OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
To be fair what Buzzfeed got was that them denying they were trying to get money from Lee

In context of the piece, if they had made no such claims they would have denied making such allegations at all to Buzzfeed, and thus the entire piece would be about Buzzfeed busting up the Daily Mail.

The only reason that quote would be given instead of a denial of accusations would be if said accusations were made against Lee but the relevant info was that they weren't making demands (as a way to show that said demands are not motivated by a hunt for money, which Lee's attorney claims is the case).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buzzfeed are very credible, they broke the Steele Dossier in 2016.

edit: Are they sourcing this independently at all, or only the "No Comment?" from the agency?

Inappropriate sexual advances/contact are unfortunately a very common issue for elderly caregivers to have to deal with. It's definitely important context for situations involving people of this age range.

There was a similar situation with George Bush Sr. that came to light, where initially we got reports of him groping people recently (in his mid-80s), but that got recontextualized once stories of him doing the same thing in his 50s came to light.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Are you serious with this thread?

This article is two days old and only talks about Daily Mail article.

Come the fuck on.
People really want to drag this senile 95 year old through the mud for whatever reason. Unless I'm mistaken, there haven't been any accusations regarding sexual harassment except for these, right?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In context of the piece, if they had made no such claims they would have denied making such allegations at all to Buzzfeed, and thus the entire piece would be about Buzzfeed busting up the Daily Mail.

The only reason that quote would be given instead of a denial of accusations would be if said accusations were made against Lee but the relevant info was that they weren't making demands (as a way to show that said demands are not motivated by a hunt for money, which Lee's attorney claims is the case).

This is a stretch to put it mildly.

OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
Are you serious with this thread?

This article is two days old and only talks about Daily Mail article.

Come the fuck on.

It's two days old and I guess we all missed it, much like you miss the bolded part where Buzzfeed contacted the nursing company in question and got a response about the case, which confirms that said allegations are being made.

The only reason that we've been blowing this off is that no other source has privately or independently heard of said claims, but Buzzfeed has, which means we need to take this more seriously.

Oct 26, 2017
So the thread that used Daily Mail as a source gets locked, so let's make a thread that uses Buzzfeed talking about the Daily Mail article?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Buzzfeed was also the place that exposed Eddie Berganza which got him fired from DC. Yeah, this is not good.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's two days old and I guess we all missed it, much like you miss the bolded part where Buzzfeed contacted the nursing company in question and got a response about the case, which confirms that said allegations are being made.

The only reason that we've been blowing this off is that no other source has privately or independently heard of said claims, but Buzzfeed has, which means we need to take this more seriously.

Nothing in the article suggests anyone made claims to Buzzfeed.

Oct 25, 2017
China
I can verify this. I've heard countless stories about this from friends but usually they can't do anything about it because their mind just isn't there anymore. How can you hold accountable someone's actions if they have Alzheimer's for example? It's a bad situation all around.
He's recently lost his wife too. Having a lot of strangers in his home is probably not comfortable for him, even if it is needed.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, is there anything in the article that states that Buzzfeed has verified the claims? All the article states is Lee's response to the allegations and how the Daily Mail (which is not a credible source at all) reported on the accusations?

DreamMakers

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
People really want to drag this senile 95 year old through the mud for whatever reason. Unless I'm mistaken, there haven't been any accusations regarding sexual harassment except for these, right?

I'm in two minds, the article says the source is unknown and only the dailymail know who they are so unless Buzzfeed can verify it, it holds the same credibility as the DM. And if money has been demanded im sure his lawyers can back this up. I for one will wait for all the details to be released before i make my mind up on Stan Lee

OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
OP
OP
DerbyCityDerek
Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
I'm in two minds, the article says the source is unknown and only the dailymail know who they are so unless Buzzfeed can verify it, it holds the same credibility as the DM. And if money has been demanded im sure his lawyers can back this up. I for one will wait for all the details to be released before i make my mind up on Stan Lee

The nursing company and its founder are both named in the article and OP, where they also state that they aren't demanding any money.

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
The Buzzfeed article does not independently corroborate the claim made by the Daily Mail. The author reached out to the owner of the nursing company and she stated:

"I have no comment except that I have not asserted any legal claim against Mr. Lee and I have not made any requests for financial compensation based on any of his conduct," she said.

There is no new information regarding an allegation of misconduct provided by this article.

Status
Not open for further replies.