• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever get tired of all those uninteresting threads clogging up your Resetera screen? I certainly do, and I always wished there was a way to get rid of the threads I don't care about and only see the ones that are new or interest me. So I wrote a script to do it.

To hide a thread, look for the purple X next to the number of replies for that thread. Click that X and it will disappear. You'll never see it again unless you select Show Ignored Only or Show All from the thread filter list next filter control panel button. You will also get an X when viewing the ignored list. Clicking that will redeem it from its shadowy banishment and return it to the list of normally viewable threads.

The thread filtering process will search up to 5 additional pages for threads. If it can't find 50 unignored threads on the page you're on, it will look at the next page, and the next, etc. to find threads which you haven't ignored either explicitly or through word or user filtering, and will load them in at the bottom of the page. This should allow you to keep a full page of threads you're interested in.

BiPblq4.png

There is a filter control panel button next to the filter select list. Clicking that will open up three tabs:

Word Filter- This will let you filter thread titles by word. You can use * to indicate wild cards in plain text entries, or you can enter a full regular expression. You can also choose to apply word filtering to only gaming or only off-topic if you wish.

mrKNcNW.png

Ignored List - This will show you the threads you've ignored, starting with the most recent. The titles are links to the threads. You can click a button to redeem any of them. The main thread list will refresh when you close the filter control panel.

4B8t25k.png

Settings - You can turn on or off the option to search additional pages for non-filtered threads. It's recommended to turn this on as it will help keep a whole displayed page full of interesting threads.

You can also choose the option to have threads expire from filtering after a certain amount of time. That means that threads which are explicitly ignored can come off the ignore list automatically. If you don't want threads to ever come back (unless you un-ignore them), don't select this option.

3iet0x0.png

Down sides:

1. No mobile version

2. It makes the page load a little slower.

And finally here's the script. Feel free to make modifications or point out inefficiencies. Let me know if it seem useful to you! I've hosted the script on GreasyFork:

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/40512-resetera-hide-forum-threads

If you already have a user script plugin for your browser, you can just hit the install button. If not, hit the question mark next to the install button and it should link you to user script plugin/extensions for various browser types. After you've installed one of those, then you can go back and hit the install button.

Enjoy! Let me know if you run into any problems, I will take user feedback into account when deciding on what updates to make. If you are a user of this script from the last forum, you may remember there was an option to hide all threads by a specific user. I've left that out of this version but if there's enough enthusiasm for it I could add it back in.

This a free tool I work on in my spare time, so if anyone ever feels like sharing their appreciation in a monetary fashion, please feel free to PayPal anything you'd like to [email protected].

12/5/2018 Update:

The script has been updated on greasyfork and should now work with the current ResetEra design. It's also been updated to take advantage of the new server-side ignore feature.

If you ignore an individual thread, it will be as if you'd gone into that thread and clicked the native ignore button. It will not be returned by the server at all anymore. The one hitch with this is, if you ignore a thread this way but want to get it back, to view that thread again you have to follow two steps:

1. Remove the thread from the ignored threads list in the filter control panel.

2. Click show ignored content at the bottom of the page.

Since threads are being hidden both client-side and server-side now, those two steps are necessary to un-hide it in both those places.

Let me know if you run into any issues!

:) ~~HALL OF FAME~~ :)

Working on this script for around four years now (it was originally designed for that other forum), it's been good to see a lot of people find it useful. It originated as an idea that I wanted to use, and hopefully has made interacting with this community simpler and more fruitful. I always have and always will work on this thing as a community contribution, but some may feel like saying thanks with a donation. This is my thanks to them!

1. Ultimadrago - $15 - 12/6/2018
2. amoy - $10 - 12/7/2018
3. Sinistar - $10 - 12/10/2018
4. johancruijff - $10.95 - 12/11/2018
5. Stephen Home - $8.88 - 3/17/2019

Last edited:

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Good stuff! Now I can finally get off the bootleg one I created from your GAF script way back in October.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Nice work mate.

But, honestly this should be built into ResetEra. The forum software can handle it.

I would love this synced across all my devices.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
The filter panel is pretty large/garish. Maybe move it to the bottom and make everything icon based or just smaller in general. Thank you for the script, though.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I really hope people don't abuse this in order to make their own echo chamber.

I mean it's really not hard to just NOT click on something.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the day we can start buying beers for folks through the net! Seriously thanks a lot for bringing this back, it's really appreciated.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I find it hilarious my thread, "Are we on the brink of World War 3?" is one of the options in your pic.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope people don't abuse this in order to make their own echo chamber.

I mean it's really not hard to just NOT click on something.

Sometimes, you just have to permanently remove something. And I say that as someone who has never ignored a user on any forum going back about 20 years. I also don't use keywords or filtering when ignoring threads. But a couple threads here and there will get X'd.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This is going to be interesting. I feel like it will keep threads on the front page more...

That's clearly why my threads sink....

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, word filter, nice. I may use this from time to time. Sometimes i need a break from current affairs and it would be nice to remove some from OT while still being able to browse it just for my own mental health. Great work.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
No more worrying about clicking between GAME OF THRONES, NO SPOILERS DISCUSSION and GAME OF THRONES SPOILERS DISCUSSION

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
some people rely on, you know, news outlets for their news instead of gaming forums

I'm not going to hide any threads, but I don't think it's crazy to not rely on ERA for your Trump news

Well I am not talking about those people. I am talking about the ones who are simply "Tired of hearing about him" and are just gonna block it all out because they can. It just seems rather childish and unhealthy to me. But hey thats just me.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Thanks for this, very fully featured. Funnily enough after that thread the other day I got to figuring out tampermonkey and got a semi-working filtering filter input. Was fun to learn that stuff, might try and implement other cool things now.

Flamin' Galah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if I add the word "nigga" to the word filter, will I be able to see any of LionPride's posts? /s

This is great. I'll play around with the word filter a bit and see how it goes. Removing any mention of "Trump" from thread titles will make checking this side of the forum a lot better. Keep that shit contained.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
For some reason Chrome never lets me install extensions. I wasn't able to install the one from the old site either.

Help please?

EDIT: Wait, I restarted Chrome and it seems to be working now!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
now hopefully the people that bemoan the presence of MCU threads will finally block them from their view and just leave em alone without coming in and complaining constantly.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already using one on desktop for a long while, with Switch and Xenoblade listed. Shame there's nothing for mobile.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Anime was a mistake and now I get to live a life without it. Blessed.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Got rid of the old one and installed this one.

Wish the control panel would load in a non-obtrusive way, don't like the big purple bar or that it shoves threads down when it loads, but beggars can't be choosers.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the script.

One piece of UI feedback: The 'X' being all the way over on the right hand side is awkward with a widescreen display if you use a maximized browser. I think it would be easier if it were to the left of the thread title.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I really really wish there was a mobile solution. I would pay for an app that did so.

I would never have to see anime again.