• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
JeTmAn

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it will be an easier time doing this kind of add-on since the site now supports the ignore feature on the backend.

Just get the thread id as normal (after accounting for the major source changes to how the threads are listed out) and then just call the ignore/unignore link for each thread id depending on what's going on.
You can even ignore all the threads already ignored in your cache by just looping through each one and calling the ignore link for each one.

An interesting idea, I'll have to look into it.

I will be updating the script, just haven't had time yet. With the forum still in flux things may change anyway, so we'll see how it shakes out.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to hide a thread without actually entering the thread? Got some threads I immediately want to hide but doing so involves me entering the thread, then clicking hide, then clicking back out to the forums.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Eurgh god if I have to see ANOTHER FUCKING DRAGON BALL THREAD I'm gonna lose it. Ok??? Why the fuck can't dragon ball and naruto and all that bullshit justhave hangout threads??

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Eurgh god if I have to see ANOTHER FUCKING DRAGON BALL THREAD I'm gonna lose it. Ok??? Why the fuck can't dragon ball and naruto and all that bullshit justhave hangout threads??
This is how I feel about Smash threads. As someone who doesn't have any interest in it at all, I don't need to see the 5-6 threads on gaming related to it. Wish I knew about this feature sooner.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
An interesting idea, I'll have to look into it.

I will be updating the script, just haven't had time yet. With the forum still in flux things may change anyway, so we'll see how it shakes out.
Do you have any plans for implementing this into Safari? I adore this script, the new forum one sucks. MacOS Mojave also killed user installable extensions and they now need to go through the App Store as far as I know...

OP
OP
JeTmAn

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have any plans for implementing this into Safari? I adore this script, the new forum one sucks. MacOS Mojave also killed user installable extensions and they now need to go through the App Store as far as I know...

The script depends on a browser extension that can run userscripts, so unless someone's already created that for Safari, unfortunately it's not going to work.

I've now updated the script so it should work with ResetEra's new design. The filter controls should appear next to the quick jump menu. Hiding a thread with the script will also now invoke the forum's new server-side ignore feature, so you can use it to ignore multiple threads much more quickly.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
This is how I feel about Smash threads. As someone who doesn't have any interest in it at all, I don't need to see the 5-6 threads on gaming related to it. Wish I knew about this feature sooner.

My feeling exactly. I like one neat OT where everyone talks about the game. Don't need several threads on the front page about the same game, even if I care about it (which I don't in this case).

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The script depends on a browser extension that can run userscripts, so unless someone's already created that for Safari, unfortunately it's not going to work.

I've now updated the script so it should work with ResetEra's new design. The filter controls should appear next to the quick jump menu. Hiding a thread with the script will also now invoke the forum's new server-side ignore feature, so you can use it to ignore multiple threads much more quickly.
Thanks for the update. Too bad it appears next to the quick jump menu since I'm currently hiding that and replacing it with links to Watched, Video Games, EtcetEra, and so on. Guess I'll need a fix for that. Nice that it ties into the forum's ignore feature so we don't see those threads on mobile.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

I ❤️️ You

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

That's awesome, thank you. Though I have a problem now that the control panel conflicts with another userscript that modifies top bar (quick links).

Right now it doesn't appear unless I disable a script (showing the button for the forum sections).

Is it possible to make it look this again?

BiPblq4.png

Last edited:

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017

Dang. :/
You do some incredible work. May just download Firefox and use that exclusively for Era 💻😈👺

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a bunch!

OP
OP
JeTmAn

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll look into moving the control panel location/offering multiple options for where it's placed.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Can you ignore threads by user X? Maybe that will work with the regular ignore user function though?

OP
OP
JeTmAn

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just saw the update ❤

can i buy you a beer or something?

Yes! You may Paypal beer money to [email protected]. You'd be the first.

Can you ignore threads by user X? Maybe that will work with the regular ignore user function though?

You know, this has been a feature in the past but updates may have broken it currently. I've just been leaving it by the wayside because it seems like nobody was using it, but I can take a look.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! You may Paypal beer money to [email protected]. You'd be the first.

You know, this has been a feature in the past but updates may have broken it currently. I've just been leaving it by the wayside because it seems like nobody was using it, but I can take a look.

Don't stress it. Would be nice though, there are some posters I'd really like not to see threads from. :lol

OP
OP
JeTmAn

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JeTmAn, you've saved Christmas!

And YIKES at me never offering a donation even though I've been using this extension since NeoGAF. I've sent something your way. Need to put my money where my mouth is when appreciating such contributions. Thanks again.

Thank you very much! Your appreciation is appreciated. Would you like a shoutout to be placed in the OP?

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
ermahgerd just saw the control panel at the top of the page. *banderas.gif*

Thank you!

I may or may not have sent you some dollarydoos, don't know how Paypal really works. Drop me a PM if it got through.

OP
OP
JeTmAn

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ermahgerd just saw the control panel at the top of the page. *banderas.gif*

Thank you!

I may or may not have sent you some dollarydoos, don't know how Paypal really works. Drop me a PM if it got through.

Indeed it did. I thank you, and have added you to the Hall of Fame.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Many thanks for the update. That it works with the native ignore feature is a game saver since that gets rid of the threads on mobile/all devices now. Game changer that makes the site much better for those of us not interested in all the political threads.

It would be even more amazing if the filter options worked across devices, but there's probably no way to get filtered out threads added to the native ignore list. Still getting rid of the ones I manually ignore with the X across devices beats having to go into threads and then hit ignore.

OP
OP
JeTmAn

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many thanks for the update. That it works with the native ignore feature is a game saver since that gets rid of the threads on mobile/all devices now. Game changer that makes the site much better for those of us not interested in all the political threads.

It would be even more amazing if the filter options worked across devices, but there's probably no way to get filtered out threads added to the native ignore list. Still getting rid of the ones I manually ignore with the X across devices beats having to go into threads and then hit ignore.

Actually...my evil little brain thought of a scheme for even including word-filtered threads in the server-side filter, but I think it would cause more trouble than it's worth. It would be easy enough to have the script automatically hide each thread that's being word-filtered individually, both server-side and client-side, but then the problem is that you would have to hit the link at the bottom of the page to show those threads.

The native ignore feature isn't super useful for flipping back and forth between ignored/unignored/all like mine is, and I've found it pretty useful to be able to quickly show ignored threads at times when I feel interested in checking out a big thread on a topic I normally don't care about.

What do you think, would that be a change worth making? It's also possible to make it an option in the control panel.

In other news, many thanks are due to johancruijff for the generous donation! To the hall of fame with you!

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
The native ignore feature isn't super useful for flipping back and forth between ignored/unignored/all like mine is, and I've found it pretty useful to be able to quickly show ignored threads at times when I feel interested in checking out a big thread on a topic I normally don't care about.

What do you think, would that be a change worth making? It's also possible to make it an option in the control panel.

I think making it an option would be great if it's not a ton of work! I wouldn't enable it for all as I can see why some would want an easier way to find their filtered out threads as you note. I'd definitely enable it and use it though.

The only other issue I could see is if there's some threshold where the number of natively ignored threads causes server issues here. The filtering would add a lot more threads to users native ignore lists than manually clicking the x's for sure as people aren't on and ignoring every Trump thread that pops up or whatever, while the filter would add every one to the ignore list.

I'd have to think they planned on having members ignore a lot of threads though given how many people wanted that feature and how divisive the community is on various topics.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Keywords doesn't seem to block anything, just tested it there and threads will still appear.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried setting it to "All"?

I noticed doing just Video Games or EtcetEra doesn't work anymore.

OP
OP
JeTmAn

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threw some bux OP's way. I have no time to glance at stupid thread titles.

I thank you, sir, for your kind gift.

As far as I know the word filtering should be case insensitive, if you find a test for this that shows otherwise, please let me know.

I've now updated the script so that area-specific hiding should be working again. It was broken by a change in forum URL's.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I thank you, sir, for your kind gift.

As far as I know the word filtering should be case insensitive, if you find a test for this that shows otherwise, please let me know.

I've now updated the script so that area-specific hiding should be working again. It was broken by a change in forum URL's.

Ok works now. I guess my first filter problem was caused by the "all" bug not a case sensitivity bug, Thanks

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do I get this to work?
I installed tampermonkey and then the script but nothing is different.
Edit: got it to work.