• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Female Corrin amiibo came out a year and a half after Corrin was added though
Richter and Simon didn't come out at the same time but I don't think that's because they secretly hate Richter. Everything Nintendo has ever done with amiibo has made it seem like it's probably harder to produce than firing up the old 3D printer.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Sakurai made a big deal out of female Byleth's reveal and inclusion so I think we are going to get Female Amiibo.

I'm okay if they want to make more Amiibo for Hero, female characters like Robin, Villager and Corrin, etc. Then do it!

Oct 25, 2017
Richter and Simon didn't come out at the same time but I don't think that's because they secretly hate Richter. Everything Nintendo has ever done with amiibo has made it seem like it's probably harder to produce than firing up the old 3D printer.

I'm talking about the idea that Neoxon was talking about a female Corrin amiibo not happening for years

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The "default" and "alt" thing is stupid as it gets. Both are in and you can play as both as you like. For some people here it seems like two slots in the CSS would be the way to go for all these characters as nonsensical as that would be.

Some people just want to be angry about something no matter what at this point.
People would then complain about which character has the "lowest number" if this were the case.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The "default" and "alt" thing is stupid as it gets. Both are in and you can play as both as you like. For some people here it seems like two slots in the CSS would be the way to go for all these characters as nonsensical as that would be.

Some people just want to be angry about something no matter what at this point.
Yeah. There's two distinct arguments here that are getting blurred together:

1) Yes, Smash should have more female characters.
2) The "this doesn't count because you have to press a button to get to them" thing is trying really hard to search for a point.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Female Corrin amiibo came out a year and a half after Corrin was added though
There was a massive delay in those last few Smash 4 amiibo that had nothing to do with Corrin having a female version specifically. Cloud and Bayonetta were in the same boat.

I'm talking about the idea that Neoxon was talking about a female Corrin amiibo not happening for years
Well, Neoxon also swore up and down that Bayonetta would never happen and then she did.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The more egregious problem is that Hero IV didn't get their female alt and THAT sucks, but I expect that is more Square Enix's fault.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. There's two distinct arguments here that are getting blurred together:

1) Yes, Smash should have more female characters.
2) The "this doesn't count because you have to press a button to get to them" thing is trying really hard to search for a point.
Yea I always hated it because it almost goes out of its way to diminish the female alts in order to make it look worser than it is

Oct 25, 2017
This is a level of pedantry I did not expect

Like, it's a valid thing to expect Sakurai to not do because he never did it before for any gender alts, including Robin. I'd be more than happy to see them do a F!Byleth amiibo, I just don't have any expectation since Sakurai's track record for female representation's a bit 'eh'.

The more egregious problem is that Hero IV didn't get their female alt and THAT sucks, but I expect that is more Square Enix's fault.

TBH, Hero would have been the one standout addition for me in Pack 1 if it wasn't for a lack of F!Erdrick and Sofia. That said, my guess is that it is a mixture of SE sucking and Sakurai not really 'getting' it when it comes to representation.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Sakurai made a big deal out of female Byleth's reveal and inclusion so I think we are going to get Female Amiibo.

I'm okay if they want to make more Amiibo for Hero, female characters like Robin, Villager and Corrin, etc. Then do it!
Female and Male Byleth are treated as different characters in Japan. They actually have different names too (ベレト for Male, ベレス for female). I'm positive we will get both of them as amiibos.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
What does this mean

He specifically said that neither side brought that up?
I mean him not mentioning something like "We discussed the possibility of F!Erdrick & Sophia but they fell through" along the lines of DQV Hero. Perhaps they were discussed & not mentioned, but there's no way of knowing either way.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
They could have (the Chinese localization uses different names, as well). But that's a question for the English localization team.
Ask Treehouse? It's such a weird choice and it ruined the joke in the trailer (Byleth Recruits Byleth????).

Ehh, I guess we will never find out unless we're lucky.

I have been tempting to open my Fire Emblem Awakening copy so once I'm done with FE:A so I might consider to pick up Three Houses in the future considering people said that it was one of best Fire Emblem in decades or so which got my attention.

But I'm not sure if I want to play all three playthrough (which is like 200 hours according to few members) so which side had best and canon plot as much as it could have.?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the male default is a non-issue because the male default is a thing. Like, not a Smash Bros thing or a video game thing. There are numerous languages where that's how things are structured - even in Japanese which doesn't have grammatical gender like Spanish or French, a boy is "few years" while a young girl is "few girl". So it doesn't strike me as particularly unfair or pedantic to say that Smash Bros is contributing when it has an overwhelmingly male character select screen and buries the women as options, then says that's good enough.

However, I don't think it's necessarily for lack of effort on the part of Smash Bros that this happens, as this can also come from the pool that Smash Bros is drawing from. The whole concept of of Smash Bros is about pulling from source material, so if the source material is falling on the male default instead of flipping a coin, then that's likely going to be reflected in Smash as well.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Given Sakurai's failings regarding representation, I can't say I'm very optimistic that he tried. And as IntelliHeath said, I'm going by the stream.
You have completely lost the plot.

Like, you've reached a point where you're looking for any tiny grain of sand that could support an argument that "Sakurai doesn't care about representation at all".

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah this is fascinating. I don't know if Byleth broke you guys or if it's just Smash Bros. discourse in general that did it.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, I guess we will never find out unless we're lucky.

I have been tempting to open my Fire Emblem Awakening copy so once I'm done with FE:A so I might consider to pick up Three Houses in the future considering people said that it was one of best Fire Emblem in decades or so which got my attention.

But I'm not sure if I want to play all three playthrough (which is like 200 hours according to few members) so which side had best and canon plot as much as it could have.?
You can read Bereto and Beresu as Byleth depending on whether you want to pronounce the digraph, so I guess they thought they were being clever.

Oct 25, 2017
You have completely lost the plot.

Like, you've reached a point where you're looking for any tiny grain of sand that could support an argument that "Sakurai doesn't care about representation at all".

The thing of it is, it's not really flattering if we factored in alts, because most alts are male. It actually makes it worse for representation.

People are asking for quality representation, and alts/Echoes is not adequaate for that.

Yeah this is fascinating. I don't know if Byleth broke you guys or if it's just Smash Bros. discourse in general that did it.

ok

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You can read Bereto and Beresu as Byleth depending on whether you want to pronounce the digraph, so I guess they thought they were being clever.
I don't think it was being clever.

Byleth works as a gender-neutral name, so they probably felt that they could just make it easier than localizing two different strings. Obviously, the Treehouse had no idea how the Japanese audience would respond to separate names, nor did they have any idea that it would become part of a gag in a Smash trailer.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps, but Sakurai wanted to add DQ5 Hero, and SE pushed against it because they didn't want that character using a sword. With that in mind, I don't see it as Sakurai not having thought to ask about anything besides what SE offered.

I thought it was implied by Sakurai that he is one that decided to not pick DQV MC because of him being well known as a character with staff?

As far as the interview went by, DQ8 was first suggestion and quickly accepted due the fact that DQ8 MC was extremely popular oversea but DQV got declined, and it went down between DQ1 and DQ4 but they turned down DQ1 due to not having unified appearance for some reason which seems strange. So DQ4 got in by default.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was implied by Sakurai that he is one that decided to not pick DQV MC because of him being well known as a character with staff?

As far as the interview went by, DQ8 was first suggestion and quickly accepted due the fact that DQ8 MC was extremely popular oversea but DQV got declined, and it went down between DQ1 and DQ4 but they turned down DQ1 due to not having unified appearance for some reason which seems strange. So DQ4 got in by default.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

The DQ1 logic is really weird.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The thing of it is, it's not really flattering if we factored in alts, because most alts are male. It actually makes it worse for representation.

People are asking for quality representation, and alts/Echoes is not adequaate for that.
Actually, I'm gonna have to disagree on the echoes part, as they're at least their own characters (on the "Everyone is Here" banner, their own Kirby hats, their own Amiibos, etc.). But all the same, I get your point.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
"why'd they give the female protagonist a girlier name, huh? They didn't do that with Corrin!" - a message from an alternate universe

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

I understand that.

But that also doesn't meant that people like Neoxon haven't lost the plot.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I'm gonna have to disagree on the echoes part, as they're at least their own characters (on the "Everyone is Here" banner, their own Kirby hats, their own Amiibos, etc.). But all the same, I get your point.

I meant in terms of people seeking effort towards representation, Echoes don't cut it. They're nice, but I'm not nearly satisfied. I just want to see more female characters who get the effort that characters like King K. Rool and Ridley got.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This should put things into perspective.

image0.jpg
It was pointed out that out of the 13 characters we've had for DLC, THREE have been Fire Emblem characters, so nearly a quarter of the DLC Smash Bros has gotten in the past two games has been Fire Emblem characters.

Yeah, that's a bit much.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't agree with that at all. F!Byleth being an alt is not by itself an issue, but it is in the context that male alts tend to get preferential treatment in Smash.
OK.

That doesn't exactly make it cool to read non-existent intent or action in anecdotes of business discussions.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I understand that.

But that also doesn't meant that people like Neoxon haven't lost the plot.
I did later acknowledge that it's probably a case of "the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence". But even then, you can understand why I'd feel pessimistic after this Fighters Pass being all primarily guys.

Oct 25, 2017
OK.

That doesn't exactly make it cool to read non-existent intent or action in anecdotes of business discussions.

I mean, I don't think it's uncool either. It's not like Neoxon is making a serious claim against Sakurai, like saying he's a misogynist or something. He just suggested that he may have overlooked her, and given issues I've had with Sakurai and female representation, I find the notion that he may have believable.