• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
okay, so anyone have the answers for my question for Fire Emblem: Three Houses? 👀
Only one side has Hilda, aka best girl.

hilda_idle_maiden_slide02.png

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
okay, so anyone have the answers for my question for Fire Emblem: Three Houses? 👀

There is no canon route. Honestly just go with whatever you want. I have a hard time recommending the route with the most answers (Golden Deer) because it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as a story compared to the other two.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry what was the question
Only one side has Hilda, aka best girl.

hilda_idle_maiden_slide02.png

This

I have been tempting to open my Fire Emblem Awakening copy so once I'm done with FE:A so I might consider to pick up Three Houses in the future considering people said that it was one of best Fire Emblem in decades or so which got my attention.

But I'm not sure if I want to play all three playthrough (which is like 200 hours according to few members) so which side had best and canon plot as much as it could have.?

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the routes is that you miss out on a lot of information on each end, and each end might give you a skewed perspective of something that may turn out to be completely different in reality. As Tera notes, pick the House with your favorite characters, especially the leader, as they are exclusive to that route. There's two characters in each of the three main routes that have two characters only obtainable in that route.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it was a which house to pick, I picked Black Eagles and was very happy with them. I' say pick either them or blue Lions, then do Golden Deer, and then do the one you didn't pick to see the other side of that story.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I did later acknowledge that it's probably a case of "the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence". But even then, you can understand why I'd feel pessimistic after this Fighters Pass being all primarily guys.
You have spent the entirety of Fighters Pass speculation jumping on people for having character desires that don't line up with greater representation. You have inserted yourself into conversations just to bring up the point of representation at any point that you can.

I honestly, for the life of me, cannot remember a single conversation you've engaged in on Smash discussion in the past year where your contribution wasn't wasn't just a post on representation that didn't sound like it had been copy/pasted from earlier discussions.

It's one thing to strive for greater representation, and I respect that. But you have frequently been disrespectful toward the desires of others for not matching up with yours. You have been on this for so long, and so frequently, that when someone in a thread asks "What do you want to see in Smash?", you don't even elaborate. You just say, "You know what I'm going to say," and leave it at that.

Like, I'm not going to tell you to give it a rest, because representation is important, but you've apparently forgotten what it means to hold a conversation.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is fascinating. I don't know if Byleth broke you guys or if it's just Smash Bros. discourse in general that did it.
You've been explain by a woman why this is a problem and all you can muster is condescension.

I don't think the male default is a non-issue because the male default is a thing. Like, not a Smash Bros thing or a video game thing. There are numerous languages where that's how things are structured - even in Japanese which doesn't have grammatical gender like Spanish or French, a boy is "few years" while a young girl is "few girl". So it doesn't strike me as particularly unfair or pedantic to say that Smash Bros is contributing when it has an overwhelmingly male character select screen and buries the women as options, then says that's good enough.

However, I don't think it's necessarily for lack of effort on the part of Smash Bros that this happens, as this can also come from the pool that Smash Bros is drawing from. The whole concept of of Smash Bros is about pulling from source material, so if the source material is falling on the male default instead of flipping a coin, then that's likely going to be reflected in Smash as well.
Thank you for the first paragraph.

But I disagree with the second. There are plenty of options for standalone female characters, and they are not obligated to reflect the source material to the extent that the male gender option must be the default.

Oct 25, 2017
You have spent the entirety of Fighters Pass speculation jumping on people for having character desires that don't line up with greater representation. You have inserted yourself into conversations just to bring up the point of representation at any point that you can.

I honestly, for the life of me, cannot remember a single conversation you've engaged in on Smash discussion in the past year where your contribution wasn't wasn't just a post on representation that didn't sound like it had been copy/pasted from earlier discussions.

It's one thing to strive for greater representation, and I respect that. But you have frequently been disrespectful toward the desires of others for not matching up with yours. You have been on this for so long, and so frequently, that when someone in a thread asks "What do you want to see in Smash?", you don't even elaborate. You just say, "You know what I'm going to say," and leave it at that.

Like, I'm not going to tell you to give it a rest, because representation is important, but you've apparently forgotten what it means to hold a conversation.

I don't know that I've really seen Neoxon berate people in that way, but I also rarely participate in these forum threads.

The lack of representation is a problem. Saying Sakurai is a secret sexist because he clearly did not ask for a Dragon Quest alt is insane.

...No one said that, not one person.

Now THIS is a great example of losing the plot.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Sakurai has been asking Nintendo to create new IPs to get into Smash. The most recent and successful IP that Nintendo created got into Smash and Sakurai chose to place it's female protagonist in the front cover of the game just behind Mario and Link.

Smash is a representation of gaming through the years and the game just shows that this industry have featured male characters and protagonists over female ones. Smash is totally different from other fighting games in the way that the dev team just can't create s new female fighter and call it a day. They care more for an accurate gaming representation of the source material than any else (as it should be). The only time Sakurai was able to design new characters for a game he gave us an amazing female character like Viridi for example, that constantly mocks the male protagonist of the game.

If other Nintendo dev teams create more female protagonists, they will get the treatment than Inkling girl got. Sakurai even went out of track to include some female characters as unexepect as Wii Fit Trainer (and don't start me in the reception she got by the fans at that E3...).

People just want the big stars on the game. That's why fans would be happy with that white dude with a sword named Dante and hated Byleth despite being male/female.

Ignoring women isn't sexist?

Implying that Sakurai is ignoring women is not only stupid but also a total disrespect to that person.

Fuck with that.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The lack of representation is a problem. Saying Sakurai is a secret sexist because he clearly did not ask for a Dragon Quest alt is insane.
Not once did I say that Sakurai was sexist, I've even said elsewhere that said conclusion was going too far. There's a difference between negligence & malice. It's still bad, but not as bad.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You've been explain by a woman why this is a problem and all you can muster is condescension.

That's probably one of the worse posts, but many posts in this conversation reek of men trying to tell women how they should feel. I'm not mad at all, but apparently I'm "angry" or "trying to call Sakurai a sexist" if I'm critical about his female representation in Smash so far.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Which route in 3H gives the most interesting gameplay scenarios, for someone who doesn't care at all about the story or characters.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I am so excited about the OST for 3 Houses making it to this game. The battle themes are amazing. I'm probably going to play the new stage exclusively for like a month.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Which route in 3H gives the most interesting gameplay scenarios, for someone who doesn't care at all about the story or characters.
Well there's four routes, with 3 characters. I'd say choose Edleguard (the red team girl) and then
be on her side later in the story where there's a branching decision

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Yeah this is fascinating. I don't know if Byleth broke you guys or if it's just Smash Bros. discourse in general that did it.
Mostly because of how of 5 1st party characters that have been dlc 3 are from Fire Emblem with the last one being the one to finish a Fighter Pass that only had 3rd party characters

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, I guess we will never find out unless we're lucky.

I have been tempting to open my Fire Emblem Awakening copy so once I'm done with FE:A so I might consider to pick up Three Houses in the future considering people said that it was one of best Fire Emblem in decades or so which got my attention.

But I'm not sure if I want to play all three playthrough (which is like 200 hours according to few members) so which side had best and canon plot as much as it could have.?

None of them has the "most canon" path. Subsequent runs can be considerably shorter if you want them to be.

Blue Lions (Azure Moon; Dimitri) tells a more personal story involving tragedy, trauma, and coping. It contains the least background lore and answers the fewest questions.

Black Eagles (Crimson Flower; Edelgard) tells the most distinct story, involving revolution. It's largely a counterpart to Blue Lions. Answers slightly more questions, but not many. Shortest route. Fewest cinematics.

Golden Deer (Verdant Wind; Claude) far and away reveals the most lore and answers the most questions, so in that way might be the most satisfying for an only route, but still has gaps.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, lets force another member of the industry out of Era because they aren't "good enough."

And people wonder why this place has the reputation it does.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Holy crap Smash discussion is poison
Sakurai's just picking main characters as they're usually the face and most popular character of a game or series. Issue is that most protagonists are dudes which is why Male representation is so large. When people want to pick favorite characters, the pool of male characters is way larger than female which is why most lists have mostly dudes.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wholeheartedly agree. As such, please leave, so it may improve.
That's honestly going too far. There's disagreement & it should be discussed, but we shouldn't jump to the point of forcing people out.

But yeah, we aren't saying Sakurai is sexist, that was never our intention.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that I've really seen Neoxon berate people in that way, but I also rarely participate in these forum threads.

...No one said that, not one person.

Now THIS is a great example of losing the plot.

I don't think Neoxon berates anyone but I think the source of frustration some people had with Neoxon is that he don't know when to stop to bring up the issues in some threads when it's just some people who have been with Neoxon for long time and already knew what is his issues with the roster. But the issue with Neoxon is hearing the issues almost weekly can drive some people crazy or tested their patience. It's like they know about it but don't really NEED to hear it so frequently or every single time Neoxon come in.

Criticizing people's wish list for not fitting in Neoxon's taste is completely other matters in the hands, and I can tell that some people don't like that because they don't really cares about any characters Neoxon suggested because it's not their wished characters.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Not once did I say that Sakurai was sexist, I've even said elsewhere that said conclusion was going too far. There's a difference between negligence & malice. It's still bad, but not as bad.

Well, you did implied that he was when you found out that Jill Valentine was a bottom tier spirit out of all Resident Evil spirits event.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oct 25, 2017
Well, you did implied that he was when you found out that Jill Valentine was a bottom tier spirit out of all Resident Evil spirits event.

I mean, when I looked through the Spirits, I did find that Sakurai tended to put them in Support more than guys on average. I didn't look at rarity though.

Isn't sexism more malice than negligence? I'm honestly asking here.

Which I did admit was a mistake on my part.

Sexism can be the product of unconscious bias

Oct 25, 2017
Keep telling women how they should feel.

How you feel about something and how things happen are two different things. I know we tend to confuse those concepts more lately now that we are finally realizing that feelings are humanist and have value but we still need to recalibrate on the fact that feelings are anecdotal and personal but not suitable generalizations or have any explanatory power. It's like having a pain, you know it hurts and people shouldn't tell you it doesn't but you don't tell a doctor why it hurts because simply having it does not give you that power of knowledge.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the first paragraph.

But I disagree with the second. There are plenty of options for standalone female characters, and they are not obligated to reflect the source material to the extent that the male gender option must be the default.

I don't think we disagree entirely. When I said it isn't necessarily for lack of effort, what I mean that lack of effort isn't the root cause. But it's absolutely part of the solution, as the decisions in formulating the cast are what ultimately determine how it contributes to the status quo in the industry that inspires it, and that's where I'm reading your post as coming from.

My take is that Sakurai has probably been alerted about concerns about how disproportionately male the cast is and is trying to solve it, and so heavily leans on alts as a way to do so without disrupting the primary concerns he has towards his roster decisions. It's probably not an effort to keep male characters in the forefront, but it probably reflects a hesitance to step out of the comfort zone in some way. That can still be passively absorbed casual sexism even if it's not outright hatred of women.

My previous post might have been buried, but my stance at the moment is really these two things together.

I don't think the male default is a non-issue because the male default is a thing. Like, not a Smash Bros thing or a video game thing. There are numerous languages where that's how things are structured - even in Japanese which doesn't have grammatical gender like Spanish or French, a boy is "few years" while a young girl is "few girl". So it doesn't strike me as particularly unfair or pedantic to say that Smash Bros is contributing when it has an overwhelmingly male character select screen and buries the women as options, then says that's good enough.

However, I don't think it's necessarily for lack of effort on the part of Smash Bros that this happens, as this can also come from the pool that Smash Bros is drawing from. The whole concept of of Smash Bros is about pulling from source material, so if the source material is falling on the male default instead of flipping a coin, then that's likely going to be reflected in Smash as well.
With regarding to representation. DLC is a special issue, I think, in that it has to sell by itself. Other additions to the series are subsidized by the rest of the game, so to speak: people weren't buying Brawl for ROB, but if you buy Brawl for the Subspace Emissary, you get ROB.

DLC doesn't have that option. It has to justify its cost all by its lonesome, not as part of the whole. That pushes DLC towards safer choices that you feel assured will sell; something that lines up with the market, something that you'd previously received data on, things like that.

With the video game market having been a boy's space for so long and the hardcore market in particular gearing towards that, it tends to push towards towards male characters. I've heard that the toy market is similar, where things are very gendered and it takes series force to make change. Hasbro doesn't want to make toys for girl Transformers because boys won't buy toys of girl Transformers, which means that there are fewer toys of girl Transformers to normalize boys into playing with them. It becomes a cycle.

I'm posting this descriptively rather than prescriptively, mind you. As a guy whose preference is for historical and lesser known Nintendo series, a lot of the female representation lines up with the sort of thing that I'm looking for because they fall into different places than we see with DLC: I'm talking about Alex Roivas, Ayumi Tachibana, Lip, whoever the main character of Style Savvy is, Rhythm Girl, Freyja, Mach Rider as dictated by that one ending and so on.

But these sort of characters are a risk, which is why you probably won't see a ton of them in DLC. It starts to demand intentional effort to force the situation. An example that comes to mind is how the writer of Digimon Tamers deliberately made the girl into the coolest character in the series in order to strongarm the market into buying her toys.

(As an aside, it is interesting to look to see what gender people have on their profiles in this discussion. I'm not directly affected here either, so I definitely shouldn't be trying to talk over anyone.)

Last edited:

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
None of them has the "most canon" path. Subsequent runs can be considerably shorter if you want them to be.

Blue Lions (Azure Moon; Dimitri) tells a more personal story involving tragedy, trauma, and coping. It contains the least background lore and answers the fewest questions.

Black Eagles (Crimson Flower; Edelgard) tells the most distinct story, involving revolution. It's largely a counterpart to Blue Lions. Answers slightly more questions, but not many. Shortest route. Fewest cinematics.

Golden Deer (Verdant Wind; Claude) far and away reveals the most lore and answers the most questions, so in that way might be the most satisfying for an only route, but still has gaps.

Thanks for detailed information (and everyone involved who gave me the answers.) I really appreciate that much!

is 200 hours for all play though accurate? That's why it's kinda off-putting even it have three different sides of the plot which is pretty cool.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Thanks for detailed information (and everyone involved who gave me the answers.) I really appreciate that much!

is 200 hours for all play though accurate? That's why it's kinda off-putting even it have three different sides of the plot which is pretty cool.
Keep in mind that there's a 4th story path tied to the Black Eagles, which adds to the total play-time.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Ok, I didn't know that such heights of nonsense were already reached before.

Enjoy your time disrespecting some people because of some crazy theories as the ranking of a character in a spirit board. It's amazing that ERA moderation allow for this...