• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for detailed information (and everyone involved who gave me the answers.) I really appreciate that much!

is 200 hours for all play though accurate? That's why it's kinda off-putting even it have three different sides of the plot which is pretty cool.
It's going to vary greatly depending on how you pace yourself in the monastery activities. And if you're playing on Normal, you can grind side-battles infinitely.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? plus DLC story path as well. I

Personally, I just watched that route on YouTube, as I didn't really find it a route I wanted to personally do. That's always an option for routes you're not interested in.

It's going to vary greatly depending on how you pace yourself in the monastery activities. And if you're playing on Normal, you can grind side-battles infinitely.

Wait, Normal has grinding? Huh.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It's kind of wild that such a viewpoint as "I wish female Byleth was the default" or "Hero should've had a female alt costume" is such a controversial opinion even on a site as progressive as this one. People really get mad when someone criticizes Sakurai.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I should explain my position instead of just posting and dropping out.

The lack of representation in Smash, and the video game industry as a whole is a bad thing. We all should be able to agree on this. Smash should have more women and more people of color.

I don't necessarily think getting up and arms on Era against other members and industry individuals would be the best way to fix this seeing as they have nothing to do with Smash, but I can understand and empathize with the frustration. I don't think Sakurai is sexist just because we didn't get one of the two or so Female Dragon Quest characters as an alt, nor do I think that characters need to be female front and center for them to necessarily "count" because that's only about the marketing and not the actual core product. There's a lot more that goes into DLC than any of us are privy to.

However, if you do think characters like F!Byleth are not enough you're free to do so. I obviously cannot stop you.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's one of those games that'll absorb much of your time before you notice.
FWIW, you could always put it on Easy mode to make it go a little quicker.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I know this game probably going to suck most of my free time for awhile. I just need to wait and see if it will get on sales so I can pick it up.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Robin, Corrin, and Byleth all use the male avatar as the default, even though in the cases of Robin and Corrin the female character is more popular.

F!Corrin was literally the most popular Fates female character in Famitsu's reader poll and M!Corrin is still the default. In these instances the male avatar is given more importance over the female avatar no matter what. It's just a fact.

The male avatar is the character. The female avatar is the alt. This is unfortunate but that's how they're treated. It's better than nothing and they still count as female fighters but it's far from preferable and definitely not equal.

Edit: This reads more combative than I intended it to. Sorry about the tone. :X
Male robin is more popular, where did you get the impression FRobin is more popular?

Oct 25, 2017

The lack of representation in Smash, and the video game industry as a whole is a bad thing. We all should be able to agree on this. Smash should have more women and more people of color.

I don't necessarily think getting up and arms on Era against other members and industry individuals would be the best way to fix this seeing as they have nothing to do with Smash, but I can understand and empathize with the frustration. I don't think Sakurai is sexist just because we didn't get one of the two or so Female Dragon Quest characters as an alt, nor do I think that characters need to be female front and center for them to necessarily "count" because that's only about the marketing and not the actual core product. There's a lot more that goes into DLC than any of us are privy to.

However, if you do think characters like F!Byleth are not enough you're free to do so. I obviously cannot stop you.

I don't think anyone was getting up in arms over industry individuals... Imran's behavior wasn't exactly what I expect out of a good conversation, so I grew weary when I see him complain about how toxic the conversation was, when he was perhaps the biggest issue with the conversation due to how dismissive and condescending he behaved.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I know this game probably going to suck most of my free time for awhile. I just need to wait and see if it will get on sales so I can pick it up.

DM me what you think as you play.

Jan 10, 2018
Ignoring women isn't sexist?

They added Hero, which was under very strict limitations by Square Enix, a female bird and a male bear, female/male Byleth, Joker and Terry. They could have done a better job ignoring women. Yes, there are great female characters which should be totally added, but them being ignored is a stretch born in wishful thinking.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
It's kind of wild that such a viewpoint as "I wish female Byleth was the default" or "Hero should've had a female alt costume" is such a controversial opinion even on a site as progressive as this one. People really get mad when someone criticizes Sakurai.

I wish that female Byleth was the default as well. Do we have any info on which one was more popular?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

The more egregious problem is that Hero IV didn't get their female alt and THAT sucks, but I expect that is more Square Enix's fault.
It's frustrating that I brought this up as a thing I thought sucked and now the narrative is being twisted into something else.

I apologize for offending. I did not intend to.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone was getting up in arms over industry individuals... Imran's behavior wasn't exactly what I expect out of a good conversation, so I grew weary when I see him complain about how toxic the conversation was, when he was perhaps the biggest issue with the conversation due to how dismissive and condescending he behaved.
After the shitshow with the Grinch leak and how the community treated insiders like him, I'm not going to begrudge him for assuming the worst about this fanbase.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How you feel about something and how things happen are two different things. I know we tend to confuse those concepts more lately now that we are finally realizing that feelings are humanist and have value but we still need to recalibrate on the fact that feelings are anecdotal and personal but not suitable generalizations or have any explanatory power. It's like having a pain, you know it hurts and people shouldn't tell you it doesn't but you don't tell a doctor why it hurts because simply having it does not give you that power of knowledge.
I'm not sure what you're getting with regard to this conversation.

I don't think we disagree entirely. When I said it isn't necessarily for lack of effort, what I mean that lack of effort isn't the root cause. But it's absolutely part of the solution, as the decisions in formulating the cast are what ultimately determine how it contributes to the status quo in the industry that inspires it, and that's where I'm reading your post as coming from.

My take is that Sakurai has probably been alerted about concerns about how male the cast is and is trying to solve it, and so heavily leans on alts as a way to do so without disrupting the primary concerns he has towards his roster decisions. It's probably not an effort to keep male characters in the forefront, but it probably reflects a hesitance to step out of the comfort zone in some way. That can still be passively absorbed casual sexism even if it's not outright hatred of women.

My previous post might have been buried, but my stance at the moment is really these two things together.
This would line up with conventions, so it's probably accurate. With this in mind, I will be shocked if 2B isn't added.

(As an aside, it is interesting to look to see what gender people have on their profiles in this discussion. I'm not directly affected here either, so I definitely shouldn't be trying to talk over anyone.)
Sure is interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
After the shitshow with the Grinch leak and how the community treated insiders like him, I'm not going to begrudge him for assuming the worst about this fanbase.

I can understand his anxiety, it was incredibly rude and shitty of people to harass Imran like that. However, that understanding doesn't mean I have to be okay with him assuming the worst about people, making claims of what they're saying that they never did. It's his responsibility to engage in good faith.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

And this is a fair and reasonable opinion, which you're free to have. I disagree, (though I wouldn't call Sakurai sexist either, just negligent) but that's my perspective. I think it's easy to say things like alts "count" when your gender is always the one that get's preferential treatment on everything.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
How Byleth is presented is weird. On the site, they're the only avatar character to feature both male/female on their icon because they just happen to have different names. But on the big portrait and presumably the CSS it's just gonna be Male Byleth.

Then there's the fact that FE is a nice 10% of Smash's massive roster and Lucina is the sole lady.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Sakurai's just picking main characters as they're usually the face and most popular character of a game or series. Issue is that most protagonists are dudes which is why Male representation is so large. When people want to pick favorite characters, the pool of male characters is way larger than female which is why most lists have mostly dudes.
Yeah this has generally been the case (with the exception of Robin, Lucina and a few others - and even then that's debatable).

The gender split situation here is probably trickier to solve on a whole because of the industries choices to have mostly male leads, not so much Smash Bros.

Although recently I'm noticing a lot of new mascots/IPs have opted for male and female options, which seems to be reflected in Ultimate when looking at Corrin, Inkling and Byleth. Could still be better though.

I'm hoping to see Lara Croft make it in for the next Fighters Pass (as well as Rayman). Because I see her as another massive gaming icon alongside the picks in Smash.

Oct 25, 2017
How Byleth is presented is weird. On the site, they're the only avatar character to feature both male/female on their icon because they just happen to have different names. But on the big portrait and presumably the CSS it's just gonna be Male Byleth.

Then there's the fact that FE is a nice 10% of Smash's massive roster and Lucina is the sole lady.

I would have loved to see Celica and/or Anna. Celica as Robin Echo, Anna as an original character.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I see. I played on Hard, and just assumed that grinding wasn't a thing.
yeah I played on Hard too, never "grinded" or did missions to extra level up. With the rewind feature, the game is super forgiving. I love it.

On Normal you could do that "side missions" instead of exploring the school as many times as you want to get EXP and stuff. On Hard once you completed them, you couldn't redo them.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I can understand his anxiety, it was incredibly rude and shitty of people to harass Imran like that. However, that understanding doesn't mean I have to be okay with him assuming the worst about people, making claims of what they're saying that they never did. It's his responsibility to engage in good faith.
The secret sexist thing was out of line and a misinterpretation of what Neoxon was saying. I do not believe that Sakurai not saying he fought for F!Hero IV is evidence that he didn't, however, nor do I think it's reasonable to assume that.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I played on Hard too, never "grinded" or did missions to extra level up. With the rewind feature, the game is super forgiving. I love it.

On Normal you could do that "side missions" instead of exploring the school as many times as you want to get EXP and stuff. On Hard once you completed them, you couldn't redo them.

I had more trouble than you, but then again, I'm bad at strategy games, haha.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's easy to super say things like alts "count" when your gender is always the one that get's preferential treatment on everything.
To be fair: I'm of the opinion that alts count because I never play as the male versions of Robin or Corrin (or Inkling, but the situation's obviously different there). Those characters might as well not exist to me.

That said, it would be nice if the female versions were front and center in the marketing more often. At the very least both versions should be on the banner and have gotten Amiibos.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
FByleth design is terrible so I am glad she isn't the default.
Tho I am already disappointed that this game is a white fest that I don't really care anymore who is default or not.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
FByleth should be the default if only because MByleth's design is the blandest out of all the FE protagonists already in the game. Even his action poses are stiff as fuck.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
FByleth design is terrible so I am glad she isn't the default.
Oh? I liked her more than the Male version. That's who I will be using in Smash.
FByleth should be the default if only because MByleth's design is the blandest out of all the FE protagonists already in the game. Even his action poses are stiff as fuck.

I agree. He's generic. They could've done a super cool Astral Chain character with a Male/Female variant.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sure is interesting.
I apologize if I sound dismissive, but that's kind of what I'm getting at here. For L Thammy, for Hailinel, for DrArchon, for Imran, for Regulus Tera, even for Neoxon, this is all an academic discussion and we don't have any actual skin in the game. So I think we should be aware of that and try to make some effort to listen.

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing having Dude Villager as default always rubbed me the wrong way somewhat; AC is a series that appeals to women more than men, and the Lady Villagers tend to be more prominent in marketing. Honestly, I'd like it if Sakurai started adding more alts; add Sofia and Ferdrick, and add the New Horizons female Villager (whose design, FYI, is the best).

I apologize if I sound dismissive, but that's kind of what I'm getting at here. For L Thammy, for Hailinel, for DrArchon, for Imran, for Regulus Tera, even for Neoxon, this is all an academic discussion and we don't have any actual skin in the game. So I think we should be aware of that and try to make some effort to listen.

I don't think she was taken aback by your comment or anything.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair: I'm of the opinion that alts count because I never play as the male versions of Robin or Corrin (or Inkling, but the situation's obviously different there). Those characters might as well not exist to me.

That said, it would be nice if the female versions were front and center in the marketing more often. At the very least both versions should be on the banner and have gotten Amiibos.

I agree. And I think for certain characters like Corrin, that's where most players' preferences lie. Hence the frustration with the marketing!

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing having Dude Villager as default always rubbed me the wrong way somewhat; AC is a series that appeals to women more than men, and the Lady Villagers tend to be more prominent in marketing. Honestly, I'd like it if Sakurai started adding more alts; add Sofia and Ferdrick, and add the New Horizons female Villager (whose design, FYI, is the best).
The problem with Sofia is that not even Square Enix uses her on the marketing materials anymore. Outside from DQIV rereleases, the one appearing in all the crossover material is always Solo.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think "sexism" is an emotionally charged, hostile term so much as it is a descriptive one. Sexist behavior can be passive and unconscious. It can be major or minor.

They added Hero, which was under very strict limitations by Square Enix, a female bird and a male bear, female/male Byleth, Joker and Terry. They could have done a better job ignoring women. Yes, there are great female characters which should be totally added, but them being ignored is a stretch born in wishful thinking.
There is not a single standalone female DLC character. Kazooie is a weapon so she hardly counts*, and female Byleth is still packaged with a male version.

I take issue with shifting potential blame away from Sakurai, as if this one damning issue must have been out of his hands. There is no more evidence that it was 100% on Square than there is that he was negligent himself.

*That said, I'm happy to have her and I think Banjo & Kazooie would have been the perfect midway point between male and female characters.

You've been cool. I was only seconding what you said.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Male robin is more popular with FE fans. In fact FRobin popularity only came close to his because of Smash.
FCorrin is more popular but I don't care about the character. FByleth might be more popular but they should keep MByleth as default to not reward the female version design.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The secret sexist thing was out of line and a misinterpretation of what Neoxon was saying. I do not believe that Sakurai not saying he fought for F!Hero IV is evidence that he didn't, however, nor do I think it's reasonable to assume that.
It's all good, & as I said, the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence regarding discussions for F!Erdrick &/or Sophia (I.E. I admit my fault there).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I played the game but I'm pretty sure the games lore prevents all the lords from even using Byleth's sword.
Technically anyone can use it but it just becomes a normal sword. Also Robin can't use Nosferatu as a grandmaster in Awakening.
Lets be sincere, Smash isnt very truthful to FE lore to begin with. Ike should have sword beams and be very fast, Chrom should be the slow one. And it isnt like Byleth can wield all 4 weapons at the same time in the lore, the maximum he can have is 3 in Azure Moon

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Male robin is more popular with FE fans. In fact FRobin popularity only came close to his because of Smash.
FCorrin is more popular but I don't care about the character. FByleth might be more popular but they should keep MByleth as default to not reward the female version design.
The female version is still in Smash though. Female Byleth being the default wouldn't "reward" the design any more than it's already been "rewarded." It would just make her feel like more of a female rep in a DLC pass that's been exclusively male.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Male robin is more popular, where did you get the impression FRobin is more popular?

The official Japanese poll had Lucina and Robin as they #1 and #2 favorite female characters.

The Knights of Iris art book also had multiple polls in it which had F!Robin as #3 among female characters compared to #5 for M!Robin. This book also had F!Robin x Chrom as the overall favorite romantic pairing whereas M!Robin x Lucina was at the bottom of the list.

Also just being aware of the FE:A fanbase at the time is firsthand evidence enough, IMO. We've been talking about this since Smash 4.

Unless there's been a massive shift since 2013-2016 I have never seen anything to indicate M!Robin was ever or is now more popular than his female counterpart.

Unless these were all mistranslations that were debunked or unless you have alternate data to suggest otherwise I am not aware of anything that places M!Robin over F!Robin in any context.

F!Robin's popularity compared to her male counterpart also surely contributes to how well F!Corrin was embraced. Byleth was the first of the three where the female character was significantly less popular than their male counterpart.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
It's all good, & as I said, the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence regarding discussions for F!Erdrick &/or Sophia (I.E. I admit my fault there).
Didn't sakurai say that they only had the resources to afford 4 versions with Hero? I seem to remember reading that somewhere in an interview
I wouldn't be surprised if we would have gotten to see F. Erdrick and Sofia if they had the chance to do 8 different versions for hero
Especially V is apparently out due to weapon choice, VI and VII are younger and smaller so they don't fit the frame either, and IX and X have no set protagonist due to their structures
I think with 8 we could see it like this

DQ1 Erdrick
DQ1 F. Erdrick
DQ3 Erdrick
DQ3 F. Erdrick
DQ4 Solo
DQ4 Sofia
DQ8 Eight
DQ11 Eleven

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
That's really sad, Sofia's way better. :T Her hair is cool.
It just seems to be some sort of mandate by Square Enix itself, more specifically Horii. This is why I cannot fault Sakurai for not including Sofia, it's a pattern that precedes him.

Female Erdrick doesn't ever appear in anything, not even paraphernalia.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't sakurai say that they only had the resources to afford 4 versions with Hero? I seem to remember reading that somewhere in an interview
I wouldn't be surprised if we would have gotten to see F. Erdrick and Sofia if they had the chance to do 8 different versions for hero
Especially V is apparently out due to weapon choice, VI and VII are younger and smaller so they don't fit the frame either, and IX and X have no set protagonist due to their structures

DQ1 Erdrick
DQ1 F. Erdrick
DQ3 Erdrick
DQ3 F. Erdrick
DQ4 Solo
DQ4 Sofia
DQ8 Eight
DQ11 Eleven
The DQI and DQIII Heroes are not the same person.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

DQ1 Erdrick
DQ1 F. Erdrick
DQ3 Erdrick
DQ3 F. Erdrick
DQ4 Solo
DQ4 Sofia
DQ8 Eight
DQ11 Eleven
That's actually a good question. IntelliHeath, do you have a link to the original interview?