• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
See, even you don't actually like isaac
That's why I'm here ;_;7
Same, but I can imagine how broken it would be. Plus it'd be yet another counter-like Down-B.
Down B: Starts to rewind time for themselves, moving backwards from where they are along the same path they were was moving on, during which time they can take other non-b actions while moving backwards. Can cancel out momentum, but adds damage rapidly based on how much momentum is being canceled and how recently that momentum was acquired, increasing as the button is held. Has a cooldown like Witch Time, or just 3 charges like Banjo's dash.

There. A mechanically unique way to have a rewind time button, but we can't have those. Linear weapon hitboxes only for Fire Emblem characters.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
My take on the next DLC wave:

Dovahkiin
Dixie Kong
Alucard (Akirado Alt)
Metal Slug rep
Lloyd Irving
Geno (the last take on the season pass wasn't because of nothing)

I learned my lesson on asking Legend of Zelda characters. Never again.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My "realistic" guess. For whatever worth you consider realistic but I do think these characters have a chance.

Tales of character.
Rex and Pyra
Another Sega character(Arle or a mainline MegaTen character)
Travis Touchdown
Another Square character(Geno or 2B.)
Sol Badguy

Probably still extremely unlikely but I tried to mix my wants with what I genuinely think could happen.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I haven't been able to follow the thread, but did anybody here called Byleth in their prediction list? I didnt know he was called Byleth yet but Im surprised I called it on my list along with Banjo, Hero and Terry as an option. I didnt get right Joker nor Hayabusa.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel I should explain my position instead of just posting and dropping out.

The lack of representation in Smash, and the video game industry as a whole is a bad thing. We all should be able to agree on this. Smash should have more women and more people of color.

I don't necessarily think getting up and arms on Era against other members and industry individuals would be the best way to fix this seeing as they have nothing to do with Smash, but I can understand and empathize with the frustration. I don't think Sakurai is sexist just because we didn't get one of the two or so Female Dragon Quest characters as an alt, nor do I think that characters need to be female front and center for them to necessarily "count" because that's only about the marketing and not the actual core product. There's a lot more that goes into DLC than any of us are privy to.

However, if you do think characters like F!Byleth are not enough you're free to do so. I obviously cannot stop you.
Here is my stance on the matter pretty much word for word. Really I only feel sakurai is getting the short end of the stick here cause its been cler since smash 4 that sakurai has been trying to add more and more women and poc into the game as I noticed as a semi hardcore observer, I remember a miiverse pic of the day when he announced the return of zelda how there are more and more female fighters being added and afterwards more and more alts started to get added.

So I find the conversation that they don't "count" kinda disheartening itself.
but I do also find myself sometimes wishing like female robin or female corrin would appear in more renders and artwork alongside the male counterpart so I do understand the frustration

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
King of Fighters XIV came out three years ago and XV is in development. But keep moving those goal posts.
I'm not moving goal posts. I'm just saying that generally, his games aren't the most popular and neither is he. It's not an attack on the character as I have nothing against it. However, among communities outside of this site, he's pretty obscure.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if posted, but here is a comparison of all the DLC character announcements:

Wow, night and day.

Joker, Hero, Banjo, and Terry:
gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

Byleth:
gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Both Terry and Hero actually got reactions, for those that are saying those characters are too unknown :p
While he's never been Ryu-levels, Terry's been around for ages. He had his own anime OVA and movie in the 90s...
61rHV-sVIIL.jpg

... And the games WERE always popular (you don't get to over King of Fighter tournaments without some dedicated fans). They were THE fighting games of the Neo*Geo system, and Terry's been in over 50(!) fighting game installments, excluding countless mobile spin-offs and cameos. He was even voted by AMERICAN fans as their favorite character of the series, and they added him to the North American release of The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact just to appease western gamers.

Beyond that, he's often considered an SNK mascot for an entire company, his design is simplistic yet iconic, and he's got a massive legacy in the gaming landscape that may never have matched the Street Fighters or Tekkens of the world, but has still carved out a dedicated following regardless, both in Japan and in the west.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Well, my personal silver lining in this situation is that I'll be saving $6.

I'd be pissed if I had bought the pass, though.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The stage looks good if you don't dislike walk-offs, and I can't deny Three Houses has real music. Byleth sucks but I will enjoy the rest of hte pack.
I don't even hate Byleth, for all my disappointment. Fire Emblems: Three Houses is a great game, Byleth's gameplay looks fun, I appreciate the female alt, the stage is fun, the music is great, and Sakurai will certainly ensure the character has the time and effort put into his gameplay to make him fun and interesting to play.

... Yes, I wish it was a different character, even from Three Houses. Yes, the lack of visual variety of yet another blue-haired Fire Emblem dude is annoying. Yes, one-quarter of all Smash Bros DLC has been Fire Emblem reps. Yes, all that is disappointing.

But at the end of the day, I'll get over it, have a good time regardless, and if I really don't want to use him I simply won't and I'll enjoy the music and stage his inclusion brought.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
The stage looks good if you don't dislike walk-offs, and I can't deny Three Houses has real music. Byleth sucks but I will enjoy the rest of hte pack.
I'm not fond of FE's music, to be honest. The stage was maybe the only ok part of the pack, but still not worth it. I'm not getting Joker either.

Personally speaking the pack has been a quite the disappointment for me. Terry and Hero are ok, Banjo is awesome, but Joker and Byleth are dreadful picks.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I feel like this hasn't been discussed much, but to me the main issue regarding Byleth's reveal isn't the character itself, but the actual reveal, when and how it was handled by Nintendo/Sora.

I'm not saying the bashing and negative reactions could have been completely avoided though; of course it was almost a guaranteed controversy as soon as the character was planned.

But I really think that it could have been reduced a lot by revealing the character earlier, in a generalist Nintendo Direct for instance, without knowing about a Smash reveal beforehand, then followed by another character so people wouldn't be mad for long about it, just slightly disappointed.

It's something they shouldn't have focused on for long.
Like, here's a commercial for the DLC, also Byleth will join Smash so some fans will be happy and then proceed to other announcements and trailers.

The reveal was made even worse because of that hype build-up by Sakurai in the introduction ("almost no one knows about it even at Nintendo", "people will say "wow, really?""and such).
It was completely out of place and poorly calculated, unless they recorded that part for another character and kept it for Byleth, for some reason.

All of those communication "errors" seem quite baffling to me, especially after the previous reveals, to the point I'm wondering if Byleth was indeed planned to be fighter #5 from the beginning.

Of course the increasing Dante rumors right before it were unfortunate and didn't help, but in the end all of those things kind of made the reveal happen at the worst possible time and the worst possible way.

Again, I'm sure Byleth could have been much less problematic in other conditions.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like this hasn't been discussed much, but to me the main issue regarding Byleth's reveal isn't the character itself, but the actual reveal, when and how it was handled by Nintendo/Sora.

I'm not saying the bashing and negative reactions could have been completely avoided though; of course it was almost a guaranteed controversy as soon as the character was planned.

But I really think that it could have been reduced a lot by revealing the character earlier, in a generalist Nintendo Direct for instance, without knowing about a Smash reveal beforehand, then followed by another character so people wouldn't be mad for long about it, just slightly disappointed.

It's something they shouldn't have focused on for long.
Like, here's a commercial for the DLC, also Byleth will join Smash so some fans will be happy and then proceed to other announcements and trailers.

The reveal was made even worse because of that hype build-up by Sakurai in the introduction ("almost no one knows about it even at Nintendo", "people will say "wow, really?""and such).
It was completely out of place and poorly calculated, unless they recorded that part for another character and kept it for Byleth, for some reason.

All of those communication "errors" seem quite baffling to me, especially after the previous reveals, to the point I'm wondering if Byleth was indeed planned to be fighter #5 from the beginning.

Of course the increasing Dante rumors right before it were unfortunate and didn't help, but in the end all of those things kind of made the reveal happen at the worst possible time and the worst possible way.

Again, I'm sure Byleth could have been much less problematic in other conditions.
Didn't he say they actually even filmed the reveal back in November?

I would bet money that it was played for a normal Nintendo Direct at some point, which is why they spent so much time trying to "mislead" people with the Fire Emblem content so quick. If you didn't know it was a Smash Direct, the build-up makes sense. Knowing it's a Smash Direct, you immediately know that you're not watching a Fire Emblem expansion or spin-off... so Fire Emblem's the next character.

So many (myself included) was thinking it would be a swerve, like how Dragon Quest's Hero steps in to save Breath of the Wild Link, or Banjo-Kazooie boot the Duck Hunt dog to the side. We were waiting for the swerve that never came. It was just... here's Fire Emblem: Three Houses, 2 seconds into the Smash Direct. So... I guess we're getting ANOTHER Smash character.

It would have worked for a normal Direct and, as you said, likely would've been better received. The build-up and expectations didn't match the delivery.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with Byleth is all about Diminishing Returns. They would be much more accepted if they were the sixth or fifth FE character in the game, not the eighth.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
SpikeTV was covering it and Keighley thought using E3 to advertise a casual game character coming to Smash Bros. was absolutely insane. He went on about it for a little while. It's like the first time I ever saw him break the professional persona.

Geoff has usually been hyper-critical towards Nintendo. This has gone back to the old G4 days of 2002-2003. He tries to put on a veneer of professionalism but it often shows through.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think Byleth would have been 1000x cooler and better implemented if s/he actually had the house leaders as full on alts (like the Koopalings) and not just color schemes.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
If you're upset about Smash characters being advertisements, the next fighter pass lasts two years. You don't think any of those six are going to be from recent games? Are you going to be this annoyed by advertisements if we get short-haired Zelda? Or Bayo 3's villain?

Not at all because those franchises need more characters to represent them and would be a more welcome inclusion than another Fire Emblem rep. If they would have announced a Monster Hunter fighter with the exact same move set, I'm sure the Internet would have been on fire with praise and "holy shits" instead of apathy and disappointment.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
SpikeTV was covering it and Keighley thought using E3 to advertise a casual game character coming to Smash Bros. was absolutely insane. He went on about it for a little while. It's like the first time I ever saw him break the professional persona.

That was during the first post Wii u release E3 right? I think Nintendos E3 in general was heavily criticized since everyone wanted megatons that would save the Wii U

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I haven't been able to follow the thread, but did anybody here called Byleth in their prediction list? I didnt know he was called Byleth yet but Im surprised I called it on my list along with Banjo, Hero and Terry as an option. I didnt get right Joker nor Hayabusa.

A lot of people (myself included) were assuming Edelgard was a shoo in. I kind of still would have preferred her, but I understand the reasoning behind Byleth instead.

If Sakurai gets games two months prior to release and starts work then, I imagine a SwSh Pokemon would be out this Summer or so. That seems inevitable, Pass-wise. Who else we get really depends on how they're picking, whether it's just more of Sakurai and Nintendo making their picks based on what they want, or if they wanted to add 6 more because of fan demand for certain characters that were not already chosen for the first pass.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
See how upset people are now and imagine if they ended with Byleth as originally planned instead of going with more DLC afterwards. Imagine the outrage that would have caused.