• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not too sure what Tik Tok is, but isn't that the same thing but 15 seconds?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
make, vine, sell vine, vine gets killed, make vine again

bold strategy

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome I miss Vine, so much great stuff came out of Vine here is hoping Byte is just as good.Vine shut down because it got bought out by Twitter I believe and they killed it.

Jan 13, 2018
Vine was brilliant. Tik-Tok's got some of that vibe, but I'm finding a lot of the content is parroting other original & existing popular meme-content already on the platform.

I'll take a look.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
very excited I got a good @ on there :D

seriously though I miss vine so much. I don't have tiktok and don't want it (vids are too long and user base is too twee; I only know a couple ppl with accounts); nobody uses snapchat anymore and the UI is hell; IG stories are stupid because you probably follow too many people to actually watch them all and it just makes IG function the way you wanted it to. vine's content got more popular after it died which is why the emphasis on creators is smart. fingers crossed this makes it.

Treefrog

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like a very simple, stripped down version of tik tok. Maybe there is a market for it? Personally I like tik tok better

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This also doesn't have the baggage of musical.ly attached to it. Might check it out.

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Had a lot of fun with in the Beta, the app is a real passion project for the Dom and team so really hope it does well

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm not nostradamus or anything (and have made many poor misreads myself in the past), but "we need vine back because restricted video length is what made vine good" is gotta be one of the worst misreads of social media history. And to build a product off of that, uh..

Feels like a purely nostalgia-driven product, unaware that all of that still exists on Instagram, and that it was moreso the onset of video microblogging that made Vine special than it was Vine or the fact that they were short and looped. Or maybe it's for the rebellious types looking for a niche like VSCO is? Just dunno why a creator would choose a format that had it's lunch ate once already over what's in the market right now (including the product that ate it's lunch).

Good on them for trending though. Great homepage too. Lord knows the social media space needs competition but.. this doesn't seem like it's it.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
TikTok is anti LGBTQ so anything that lights a fire under them is good, hope this doesn't get moneyhatted like Vine. Fucking Twitter.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I love how everyone is trying to figure out what works best and the algo hasn't optimized the hell out of everything yet

it feels weird to be of a small user base on a social media platform

lots of 4-letter usernames are still available!

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Spent 10 mins or so on it, pretty fun. Lots of creative and funny stuff in there already.

I dont think it'll kill TikTok. One thing people forget is that TikTok spend billions of dollars in advertising to get to where they are. You can only grow so much organically.

Facebook will probably acquire Byte anyways.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
One of my favourite content creators, Northernlion (30), is trying new things, among them TikTok.
I'm sure this means he'll be on Byte next.
I have no problem watching stuff on youtube or twitch, but every time I land on TikTok (and now probably Byte), I feel like an old man.
Is there any information available about the average user age on Byte/TikTok?

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I e already laughed more in the space of five minutes on Byte than five weeks on Tick Tock. It's truly Vine 2.0.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Why did vine shut down anyway?
Vine made like no money as a platform. Advertisers didn't really wanna take out 6 second ads on the platform. When they could just pay creators directly to make a viral video instead about their product. I'm assuming bytes solution will involve this new partner program. Which will probably make it so that you can't cut ads for companies without going through them.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Vine made like no money as a platform. Advertisers didn't really wanna take out 6 second ads on the platform. When they could just pay creators directly to make a viral video instead about their product. I'm assuming bytes solution will involve this new partner program. Which will probably make it so that you can't cut ads for companies without going through them.
How does tiktok make money in comparison? I've never been on the app so don't know, are there ad banners or something?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
How does tiktok make money in comparison? I've never been on the app so don't know, are there ad banners or something?
Video ads and filters are their bread and butter if I remember correctly. I think they might also let you buy a trending hashtag to be featured in their discovery page as well. But I'm not too sure on that myself since I don't run any marketing campaigns on it haha. Still I've heard good word of mouth from other marketers on their TikTok video ads. So I expect them to actually grow their ad sales. Which is something Vine struggled with till it's death.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Video ads and filters are their bread and butter if I remember correctly. I think they might also let you buy a trending hashtag to be featured in their discovery page as well. But I'm not too sure on that myself since I don't run any marketing campaigns on it haha. Still I've heard good word of mouth from other marketers on their TikTok video ads. So I expect them to actually grow their ad sales. Which is something Vine struggled with till it's death.

You can also gift people virtual things (sort of like bits on twitch) and I'm sure Tik Tok gets a good amount of money from people who gift popular tik tokers

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too sure what Tik Tok is, but isn't that the same thing but 15 seconds?

QpMTRdw.gif