• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
LOVED this game, the soundtrack was awesome and Zero Hours 1v1 AI general gauntlet was so fun. Is this still playable on modern PCs? I had the Mac port ten years ago but that's aged out of existence.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My second favorite RTS after the original StarCraft...in fact it 'gets' the appeal of StarCraft far better than StarCraft 2. The originality and inventiveness blew my mind when I first played it.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I had a bunch of fun playing this over LAN with my friends in high school. It's the only game in the series I've played.
Same here, although I also enjoyed the Red Alert series, and my friends were C&C fans.

We played the hell out of this at sleepovers and LAN parties. So fun!

There was always one person (the weirdo) who was really good with GLA and made everyone else mad lol. (Similar story with Zerg in SC.)

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Skaggs, the executive producer of Generals/RA2 recently had an AMA on Reddit with interesting things to share.

Perhaps most prominently is the confirmation that it was not initially meant to be a C&C game. This has always been a divisive point among the fans of the franchise because of how much it deviates from the formula, but personally it always felt to me like the fundamentals in the gameplay which really mattered were still there, like the distinct unit balance by weapon/armor type where missiles and tank shells do negligible damage on infantry.

I worked on C&C (Generals 2) for two years. "BioWare" was never developing C&C Generals 2. The studio who was developing it, Victory Games, was briefly rebranded as BioWare Victory (alongside "BioWare" Mythic) around the time of the announcement on the VGAs. Victory Games was a new studio led by Jon Van Caneghem, though it was staffed by a lot of the legacy EALA RTS team and a new engineering team in Austin. It was a difficult project and had substantial challenges on a number of fronts but not insurmountable ones. I think our vertical slice of the game as a General sequel was great and would have been well received by fans. Our finals builds of the more multiplayer focused C&C were also very good and trending in a nice direction.

Yeah I do too, though I don't much blame EA. I don't know that a traditional RTS is a smart investment at the AAA scale. I doubt a full accounting of the production and marketing budget of SC2 would justify its development much less C&C. I think what EA is doing with C&C Remaster is awesome and I hope translates to more interest in the franchise.

I remember people mistaking BioWare Victory for the actual BioWare right back when the branding change was announced. I don't blame people for being confused. That whole period just seems like such a mess wracked by flipflopping and indecision from EA's leadership. Apart from them changing the names of studios to Bioware subsidiaries and then back again, the name of the game itself changed between Generals 2 and just Command & Conquer, also changing from a single game to the idea of it being more of a platform with more "modules" being added later down the line, and also changing between a full priced retail product to a F2P model. And this was all hot on the heels of the previous C&C4 having initially been a F2P side project meant for the Asian market, but then being mandated to change it into a mainline entry in the series sold as a retail product. Looking back at that whole chain of events just feels so bizarre. The best rationalization I can come up with is that the F2P business model was still a relatively nascent one at the time with EA not being quite sure what to make of it, and C&C simply got caught in the crossfire.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
My favourite Multiplayer RTS, despite some balance issues.

One of the few games i considered myself legit good at lol.

May 25, 2019
London
I worked on C&C (Generals 2) for two years. "BioWare" was never developing C&C Generals 2. The studio who was developing it, Victory Games, was briefly rebranded as BioWare Victory (alongside "BioWare" Mythic) around the time of the announcement on the VGAs. Victory Games was a new studio led by Jon Van Caneghem, though it was staffed by a lot of the legacy EALA RTS team and a new engineering team in Austin. It was a difficult project and had substantial challenges on a number of fronts but not insurmountable ones. I think our vertical slice of the game as a General sequel was great and would have been well received by fans. Our finals builds of the more multiplayer focused C&C were also very good and trending in a nice direction.

Yeah I do too, though I don't much blame EA. I don't know that a traditional RTS is a smart investment at the AAA scale. I doubt a full accounting of the production and marketing budget of SC2 would justify its development much less C&C. I think what EA is doing with C&C Remaster is awesome and I hope translates to more interest in the franchise.

Ah yes, that was around the time they were trying to leverage the Bioware brand name with additional studios, right? I remember a lot of people being confused at Bioware making an RTS.

It's a shame this never saw the light of day. Thanks for the info and hard work anyway.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing game. Not my favourite c&c (Tiberian Sun) but still loved it.

The endgame slowdown really irritated me though.

Triblade

Nov 16, 2017
A year or so ago, a couple of friends were interested in learning to play an RTS and we thought it would be fun to play some multiplayer together, so we decided to play this for about a fortnight. It's still great.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Probably my favourite C&C. I'm still sad about the follow-up getting canceled.
I loved the crazy terrorist faction with toxic tractors, mad-max buses, and shoes!

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Generals is probably my favorite C&C, and I really loved most of them. Such great personality, I loved the campaigns and even had a ton of fun with skirmishes and the "Mortal Kombat" commander vs commander mode. I still have some screenshots of a fun game I had where I just had a bunch of the hacker guys giving me free money while I built something like 30 nukes to launch all at once. This gif completely destroys the quality of it, but it still a reminder of the dumb fun skirmishes were:

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hated the game back then because of its 30fps cap and lack of GDI/Nod, but I think I was too harsh on it. It had some cool ideas.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Best unit banter?

Best unit banter.

Played this so much. My favorite C&C.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Is there hardly anyone who makes pc exclusives anymore? Nobody has actually cracked the RTS code for consoles as I am aware of?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Is there hardly anyone who makes pc exclusives anymore? Nobody has actually cracked the RTS code for consoles as I am aware of?
Not sure what you mean by cracking the code, but there have been a few really good RTS games this gen that have been ported (read: re-made almost entirely from the ground up) specifically to cater to console players.

Examples: Cities: Skylines, Surviving Mars, Frostpunk

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you mean by cracking the code, but there have been a few really good RTS games this gen that have been ported (read: re-made almost entirely from the ground up) specifically to cater to console players.

Examples: Cities: Skylines, Surviving Mars, Frostpunk

Halo Wars works/plays really well on console.

Ok I guess its possible then. I always associated RTS with PC.

I just can't image enjoying playing a hypotethical new Command and conquer with a controller, but maybe I'm close minded.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
was so rad for a long time, Command & Conquer was so rad for a long time and Generals was awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who was a big fan of mostly the whole series up to that point, I didn't like Generals that much when it launched, but it really grew into it's own with Zero Hour. The gameplay was pretty fantastic and I played it a lot and remember playing with someone online and we would build up massive armies and when they finally clashed the game would crash more often than not.

Given the choice, I probably still have rather had C&C3 Tiberian Twilight that Westwood was working on at the time though. Would have been great to get the conclusion of the story and the integration of red alert 2 into the storyline.

Triblade

Nov 16, 2017
You knew it was epic when the frame rate tanked .... and you would just watch in awe.

Ha, did anyone else ever cripple an enemy just to the point where they couldn't retaliate, spend a bunch of time building as many nukes as possible then launch them all at once in at attempt to win the game in the most brutal way possible?

It was great watching the framerate die a slow death as each nuke landed, with each one taking longer and longer as the game crawled to a halt :D

Then 10 minutes later the dust would settle, the game would return to normal and there would always be that one guy who --somehow-- managed to survive no matter how many nukes landed where he was standing.

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite C&C game.
The different generals you could choose in Zero Hour were so cool.

I haven't bothered with the series after Tiberium Wars.

BTW: OpenRA is pretty cool. For anyone who doesn't know it, it's an open source port of Red Alert:

www.openra.net

OpenRA

Classic strategy games rebuilt for the modern era

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Ha, did anyone else ever cripple an enemy just to the point where they couldn't retaliate, spend a bunch of time building as many nukes as possible then launch them all at once in at attempt to win the game in the most brutal way possible?

It was great watching the framerate die a slow death as each nuke landed, with each one taking longer and longer as the game crawled to a halt :D

Then 10 minutes later the dust would settle, the game would return to normal and there would always be that one guy who --somehow-- managed to survive no matter how many nukes landed where he was standing.
Haha! I remember doing this exact thing. That's what Skirmish mode was made for, wasn't it?!