• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

C.D.C. Recommends Wearing Masks in Public; Trump Says, ‘I’m Choosing Not to Do It’ (Published 2020)

Alabama became the 41st state to issue a stay-at-home order, and the attorney general expanded the pool of prisoners eligible for early release from federal prisons.

President Trump said at his daily White House briefing on Friday that the Centers for Disease Control recommended that Americans use basic "non-medical, cloth" masks on a voluntary basis.

"You can do it. You don't have to do it. I'm choosing not to do it," Mr. Trump said. "It's only a recommendation."

Top officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had been pushing for President Trump to advise everyone — even people who appear to be healthy — to wear a mask when shopping at the grocery store or in other public places.

But some White House officials resisted, according to a top C.D.C. official who has seen emails from people in the West Wing. The official said that people around Mr. Trump pressed him to limit the mask-wearing guidance only to people in "areas of widespread transmission."

The issue took on greater public urgency this week, when officials said that as many as a quarter of those already infected may show no symptoms but still contribute to "significant" transmission.

At a W.H.O. briefing on Friday, Dr. Michael J. Ryan, executive director of the health emergency program, said that while the agency still recommended masks only for front line health workers and those who are sick or caring for the sick, "we can certainly see circumstances in which the use of masks, both homemade or cloth masks, at community level may help in an overall comprehensive response to this disease."

Official CDC Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx1yqvJgf4

Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19
www.cdc.gov

COVID-19 and Your Health

Symptoms, testing, what to do if sick, daily activities, and more.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like Trump wants this thing to be harder to contain so he has an excuse to postpone a certain election later this year. 🤔

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone wear a mask!

Donate all your masks to health care workers!

well which is it?

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Weird. Went from "don't wear a mask" to "only vulnerable should wear a mask" to "wear a mask". Even on threads here, had people arguing against wearing them. I ordered a washable one through MetaThreads. A little tacky, but two go to medical professionals for every one purchased.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
God damn, I've never thought Trump was smart, but I'm honestly surprised he's this fucking stupid.

All he has to do to improve the general populace's image of how he's handling this is simply parrot whatever the experts are saying. What on earth does he think he is accomplishing by undermining their messaging? How does he not see how easy it will be to juxtapose this comment against still-rising numbers of cases weeks from now?

Everyone wear a mask!

well which is it?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but the CDC is just saying to wear something over your mouth in public. As stated in the OP, a non-medical cloth like a scarf is fine.

If you own any medical-grade masks, like N95 masks or something similar, those should be donated to hospitals so they can be used by people who we know are coming into directed contact with infected people.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see he's not wearing a mask. Everyone else: do everything you can to find and wear one.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
My Fiancée is knitting me a mask with an internal lining, so I will happily be wearing one. Fuck Trump and his bullshit rhetoric.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
"Everyone wear a mask!"

But... the Trump administration took all the masks. There ARE NO masks. Might as well tell everyone to clothe yourself in rolls of toilet paper. It ain't happening.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I bought a triple-pack last year due to my allergies. After each use you're to wash them which makes them quite perfect for a situation like this, but even so I've been seeing people making great home-made face masks with a bandana and some rubber bands.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Everyone wear a mask!

well which is it?
I'm guessing when there was faith people might actually wash their hands and maintain social distancing, it was one thing to say "better to stop buying up all these masks health care workers need"

Now that it's obvious nobody gives a shit about following simple guidelines and COVID is still spreading the stakes are a bit different, no?

Unless you're talking about something other than the about-face from the CDC

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
masks should be given

if people can't find them, or be at risk of going in public in quest to find them, the government should hand them out

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, people will do it if you just show up on tv with a mask on. it's not that hard. of course, he probably doesn't give a shit whether people actually follow guidance.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
"Everyone wear a mask!"

But... the Trump administration took all the masks. There ARE NO masks. Might as well tell everyone to clothe yourself in rolls of toilet paper. It ain't happening.
Again, not talking about medical masks. Just some cloth covering your mouth and nose. Scarf, T-shirt, bandanna, Halloween mask, whatever.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
cant imagine being able to find them available. do the hand made ones do anything/worth bothering with? Can't be to hard to sew one up.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Again, not talking about medical masks. Just some cloth covering your mouth and nose. Scarf, T-shirt, bandanna, Halloween mask, whatever.
I already have a mask.

I WILL BE THE ONLY ONE TO SURVIVE ON THIS FORUM.

8XbXqhS.jpg

CHECKMATE, ATHEISTS.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
There are no masks in NYC, or online. That's why preparedness was critical for this. Now we must be punished because Trump is president.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what argument people gonna come up with to argue against mask now. Every little bit helps, even if it's a cloth mask

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how we're so slow doing shit that should've happened weeks ago.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
This guy is so vain and narcissistic that to him, wearing a mask would show weakness and that he only follows the beat of his own shitty drums. Its like his vision. He obviously needs glasses but would rather go out and read a speech with the font magnified 200x.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What if we have N95 masks from the California wildfires? I can't find surgical masks anywhere near me.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
FYI for all of ya - The recommendation is to wear a cloth mask / homemade mask, not N95's or other medical grade ones since all those are going to hospitals already.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, it's really not hard to make a makeshift mask, which is what they're saying to do.

I understand that however, the simple fact is that the general public will not interpret it that way. People will continue to seek out medical supplies that are needed for everyone working on the front line.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
FYI for all of ya - The recommendation is to wear a cloth mask / homemade mask, not N95's or other medical grade ones since all those are going to hospitals already.

Yeah, there was a recent thread with a how to in the OP on how to make exactly this. That could be a useful link for this thread.

Edit:

www.resetera.com

Make mask (scarf, bandana, mask) wearing mandatory in the US.

Title: Should be mandatory everywhere. Czech Republic has made face cover (scarfs, home-made masks) wearing mandatory and they have flattened their curve. As for mask, any kind can do help the limit of the spread. The key reason that it works is because it prevents asymptomatic people from...

Best Materials for a DIY mask

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that however, the simple fact is that people will continue to seek out medical supplies that are needed for everyone working on the front line.
So the alternate is to tell people NOT to wear homemade masks?

I can bet you a billion dollars every nurse in this world would rather everyone being told to make homemade masks, which would cause some people to seek out medical masks, then people continuing not wearing anything and the virus spreading even more.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Went out yesterday looking like Nathan Drake in the desert with my mouth covered with a Moroccan scarf, Man that really raises the body temperature

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
My fiancee has started to make makes for our families and friends since we couldn't find any without being charged out the ass.