• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bouncing from tile to tile really bothers me and it seems like that will get old very quickly. Everything else about this game looks great.

It doesn't get old. At all.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is an amazing game and this looks even better.

Original was randomly generated but this one looks like an actual handcrafted map. We don't know yet.

It's randomly generated and we've known this since the game was announced. From the game's trailer page on YouTube::

"In the latest rhythmic action-adventure from Brace Yourself Games, you can enjoy the gameplay of Crypt of the Necrodancer in the setting of The Legend of Zelda series. As Link—or even as Princess Zelda—you'll explore the randomly generated overworld and dungeons on a quest to save Hyrule."

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
1. All you people are Mad, the real ones all know that Spring doesn't end until December and we've still got half a year until the end of Spring.

2. It's definitely going to be a shadow drop this E3.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Christ this looks amazing. So if you have a decent sense of rhythm you can move/attack at the highest rate of the beat? Cause some points of the vid I was wondering "why aren't you moving faster?"

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Christ this looks amazing. So if you have a decent sense of rhythm you can move/attack at the highest rate of the beat? Cause some points of the vid I was wondering "why aren't you moving faster?"
There is way to increase/decrease it in Necrodancer and I wouldn't be surprised if there is something like the Bard, being able to move how you want without waiting the beats.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Fantastic sprite work. I was never into the artstyle of Crypt of the Necrodancer but this hits all the right notes for me.

A new Mario & Luigi RPG would be perfect with this kind of art direction.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
In the normal game mode in Necrodancer, you can only move on the beat. If you miss a beat, you don't move that turn. If you try to go faster, the input is wasted.

The big incentive to move on the beat is the gold multiplier: gold is both a currency and the scoring system, and if you stay on the beat you build up a gold multiplier as you defeat enemies, but if you miss a beat or go faster than the beat, your multiplier drops back down to 1.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
It's essentially turn-based, but every beat is a turn. So if you're off-beat you're going to be missing turns (but the enemy won't!)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm terrible at music games. Any chances of having a mode in which you don't have to be on beat in order to play? If not, I'm afraid I won't be able to enjoy this game at all :(

Edit: Oh, it's being discussed. Serves me right for reading the whole thread and the off-topic discussion before posting.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
We still don't know whether there will be a mode to play without beats, but there was in Necrodancer. Thing is, it was a separate character, and so far it seems like only Cadence, Link, and Zelda are in this game. A lot of the gameplay variety came from different characters in the first game so I have to assume that either there are more unrevealed characters, or there will be some other way to add those gameplay modifiers.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I knew about the existence of this game from previous thread titles but I didn't know it was Zelda of the Necrodancer. That's pretty neat of Nintendo!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really made this thread about when Spring starts. Smh, petty.

Not a fan of Crypt but this looks amazing, hope they lend out their IPs to other indie devs for titles like this.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Necrodancer never really appealed to me, I never understood how you actually play it just from watching videos lol. I still need to try out the demo so I can sorta get the idea before this comes out because WOW it looks good!

Still jealous something cool like this didn't happen with my beloved Binding of Isaac though. :'(

Nov 8, 2017
I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I really disliked CotN for one reason: there is no attack button/action, you need to move towards/into your enemy to attack them. Something about that control scheme feels awful to me. I tried hard to like it but can't get past that.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
The sprite work on the enemy animations is on point, everything looks so good.

Hope this is an E3 shadowdrop, I need it asap.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game a rogue lite/like? If I die, do I start over (I'm ok with that). And does anyone know if items/powers carry over from one play to the next?

I'm super curious about this game. I love Zelda games and always thought necrodancer looked good. That said, the game play looks super frantic, and I prefer games that are more on the chill side. I hope there is a demo for this.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The bouncing from tile to tile really bothers me and it seems like that will get old very quickly. Everything else about this game looks great.

I thought the same thing before playing Necrodancer but it really doesnt.

The beat is usually fast enough that you can traverse the dungeon without a problem (with the exception of level 1-1 which has a significantly lower BPM than the rest of the levels which gets frustrating after you die)

Also stuff like skipping beats or anything else that would mess with your traversal doesnt really show up in the main game. Youve only got to hold a beat in the King Konga boss fight for example

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Does anyone care to explain how these games work? Is it just a rhymth game and link auto controls?

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a rouge-like (and so too is Cadence of Hyrule). Everything you do is to the beat of the music (as seen at the bottom of the HUD). This includes movement, attacking, using items and so forth. Enemies have fixed attack patterns and will only attack on certain beats.

For instance, the Blue Slime enemies in the original Crypt of the Necrodancer would move every other beat (first up, and then back down), and attack you if you are standing on the tile they are trying to move to.

So no, Link is not auto-controlled. I found this video of the Switch version of Crypt of the Necrodancer - just watching it, you should get what I mean. Everything moves to the beat.

Oct 26, 2017
Downloaded the demo for Crypt again on the Japanese eshop. For the life of me I can't get into this game. The rhythm gimmick just feels too restrictive.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
If they say June but not a specific date then it will definitely be an "available now" announcement during the E3 direct. Can't wait to play it

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game a rogue lite/like? If I die, do I start over (I'm ok with that). And does anyone know if items/powers carry over from one play to the next?

I'm super curious about this game. I love Zelda games and always thought necrodancer looked good. That said, the game play looks super frantic, and I prefer games that are more on the chill side. I hope there is a demo for this.

We don't know exactly how Cadence works, but Necrodancer is this, yes. The main game mode is rogue-lite, absolutely no persistent elements, you die and start over. A full run through the game is <1 hour.

Necrodancer does have something like a "story" mode where you start off with a limited item pool and "unlock" items and characters for future run-throughs - you might start off having only access to the dagger, but you can earn a persistent-through-runs currency that unlocks swords for future runs. This is similar to, say, Enter the Gungeon's progression system. The items you unlock aren't necessarily better, but it gives you an easier learning curve.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The art style looks so good and a huge improvement over the original game. It looks like a GBA game in all the best ways.
Even better, it looks like a GBA game without sounding like one.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice work RagnarokX! Never expected to see the Roc's feather show up
Cheeseburger probably is a drum, as CotN already had drums that will boost your next attack power and let you stand still without losing your multiplier.

The old style room scrolling was very unexpected, I wonder why that's there?

TWO PLAYERS CONFIRMED ????
I think it was confirmed at the announcement on Nintendo's site.

Last edited:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect and hope this game is piss easy compared to normal Necrodancer. Have they confirmed it's not a roguelike yet?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I expect and hope this game is piss easy compared to normal Necrodancer. Have they confirmed it's not a roguelike yet?

From the Brace Yourself Games website, "explore randomly generated overworld and dungeons". So there are still roguelike elements to this. My guess is that you don't have to beat the game on one life (that would be brutal, unless the game is far easier), but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I suspect it'll retain the general structure of a Zelda game, just with a randomized map and set of dungeons.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
From the Brace Yourself Games website, "explore randomly generated overworld and dungeons". So there are still roguelike elements to this. My guess is that you don't have to beat the game on one life (that would be brutal, unless the game is far easier), but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I suspect it'll retain the general structure of a Zelda game, just with a randomized map and set of dungeons.

"Keep the beat with 25 remixed classic Legend of Zelda™ tunes" makes it sound like it's about as long as Necrodancer, so I don't really know that "beat the game on one life" would be particularly *brutal*.

(Necrodancer has 3 levels per world x 5 worlds, plus 10 bosses = 25 tracks).

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
"Keep the beat with 25 remixed classic Legend of Zelda™ tunes" makes it sound like it's about as long as Necrodancer, so I don't really know what "beat the game on one life" would be particularly *brutal*.

(Necrodancer has 3 levels per world x 5 worlds, plus 10 bosses = 25 tracks).

EDIT: The value below are assuming you've got the DLC.

Not to correct you, but I don't think you face 10 bosses in one run. Yes, there are 25 tracks, but you don't see all of them during a single run. Wouldn't you face 4 'normal' bosses, and then Dead Ringer / the Necrodancer (assuming you play as Cadence)? I suppose it really depends on how many dungeons you have to face in this game - if they're doing 8, like a normal Zelda game, then you'd have 16 tracks (dungeon and boss), so then there'd be 9 music tracks for the overworld and so forth. So it seems to me like it could be longer than the original. It would also depend on how long each dungeon is. 8 * 4 (3 floors and boss) = 32. Which is more than the original, DLC and all (4 * 5 = 20, plus one or two depending on the character being played).

Also, I'm just speaking from experience, but I can only barely just make it through a whole run in Crypt of the Necrodancer. If that was the only way to play through the game, I suspect it'd really turn people off. This game seems a lot bigger than the original, as I've said (with an overworld and all linking together the dungeons), so... I dunno. I doubt you have to beat the game in one life, though there will probably be a 'Speedrun'/'All Dungeons' mode for people who want to give it a try (like me). I will say it does look a tad easier than the original so far, but we can't say for sure until we play it.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: The value below are assuming you've got the DLC.

Not to correct you, but I don't think you face 10 bosses in one run. Yes, there are 25 tracks, but you don't see all of them during a single run. Wouldn't you face 4 'normal' bosses, and then Dead Ringer / the Necrodancer (assuming you play as Cadence)? I suppose it really depends on how many dungeons you have to face in this game - if they're doing 8, like a normal Zelda game, then you'd have 16 tracks (dungeon and boss), so then there'd be 9 music tracks for the overworld and so forth. So it seems to me like it could be longer than the original. It would also depend on how long each dungeon is. 8 * 4 (3 floors and boss) = 32. Which is more than the original, DLC and all (4 * 5 = 20, plus one or two depending on the character being played).

Also, I'm just speaking from experience, but I can only barely just make it through a whole run in Crypt of the Necrodancer. If that was the only way to play through the game, I suspect it'd really turn people off. This game seems a lot bigger than the original, as I've said (with an overworld and all linking together the dungeons), so... I dunno. I doubt you have to beat the game in one life, though there will probably be a 'Speedrun'/'All Dungeons' mode for people who want to give it a try (like me). I will say it does look a tad easier than the original so far, but we can't say for sure until we play it.

You're right that you're not facing 10 bosses in one run - I just meant to point out that they made as many tracks for this as they did for Necrodancer, which has 5 worlds + 10 bosses, six of which you face in a run.

And yeah I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who plays the Necrodancer daily challenge and aims for (and almost always fails to reach) the top 10, so I may have a bit of a skewed perspective~

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like that E3 shadowdrop is going to happen. I'm excited!

While I know that Spring doesn't technically end until 6/21, from a US perspective I agree with this. If kid's aren't in school, it's summer.

To counterpoint that, in all the years I went to school (I'm from the US), I was in class through the first couple weeks of June. Never the whole month of June, but June was always a school month for me.

Oct 26, 2017
Please move on from the Spring nonsense, Nintendo sees your pedantry and laughs.

D5CwEoMXsAI2TRb.jpg

You're right that you're not facing 10 bosses in one run - I just meant to point out that they made as many tracks for this as they did for Necrodancer, which has 5 worlds + 10 bosses, six of which you face in a run.

And yeah I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who plays the Necrodancer daily challenge and aims for (and almost always fails to reach) the top 10, so I may have a bit of a skewed perspective~

The original game without DLC had 26 tracks, including the lobby, tutorial music, and the dual tracks for the ice/fire levels.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The delay sucks, but at least it's a short one. The developer must have needed a little extra time to polish it up for release. At least I've had Oculus Quest games to tide me over.

Really looking forward to this, love the art style and so far the music remixes we've heard are great.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The delay sucks, but at least it's a short one. The developer must have needed a little extra time to polish it up for release. At least I've had Oculus Quest games to tide me over.

Really looking forward to this, love the art style and so far the music remixes we've heard are great.

It... err... was never delayed. It's still coming out in Spring.
(And before anyone else asks, the rumour that it was coming out on May 30th was clearly wrong. I blame Nintendo Life for spreading that around. Says the guy who made the thread about it...).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It... err... was never delayed. It's still coming out in Spring.
(And before anyone else asks, the rumour that it was coming out on May 30th was clearly wrong. I blame Nintendo Life for spreading that around. Says the guy who made the thread about it...).
The statement was it was coming out in spring. I don't know a single person who considers June to be in spring, everyone I know assumed the game was coming out by May 31.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The statement was it was coming out in spring. I don't know a single person who considers June to be in spring, everyone I know assumed the game was coming out by May 31.

a) Most people on this forum had assumed it might be an E3 shadow-drop.
b) Spring ends on the 21st June. Google it.
c) The mods asked people to stop talking about whether June is Spring. So people need to move on.