• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I take it this is a series? I've never played these game before. Why does it look like your character is hopping from one square to the next when they move? This look really nice though.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Wait the game is out and this is DLC coming later?
How did I miss this game being released?

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
For a second I thought it was Zelda DLC for CotN as they had similar stuff for Danganronpa iirc. Anyway, this looks great. CotN was a good time, but tough. I reached the final boss but still haven't beaten it.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Yeah, no kidding. Mario + Rabbids and Hyrule Warriors were both so out of left field yet so nice on their own merits. That they're willing to do this with indies too is so great. :)
The best part for me is exactly that these games are almost entirely out of left field, aside from Starlink in the sense that it's very Star Fox-like in terms of gameplay. People have been asking for third party/Nintendo collabs for a while but they always seemed to be more "Have a studio that makes similar games to <x franchise> do a traditional <x franchise> game"; I find these wacky crossovers to be much more refreshing than that (although I wouldn't particularly be against that either!).

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I take it this is a series? I've never played these game before. Why does it look like your character is hopping from one square to the next when they move? This look really nice though.
It's a rhythm game. The hopping is a fun way to visualize movement since you'll only be moving one tile at a time along with the beat. Here's some gameplay of the original.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely dope. I tried Crypt of the Necrodancer, and while I love the concept, I don't like the Rogue-like system. Still, this is awesome to see. Never would have thought I'd see a cross-over like this. The pixel art is fantastic too!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really a series (well, I guess it is now), but Crypt of the Necrodancer is a single game that has also had DLC releases. Cadence of Hyrule is the first full-fledged follow-up to the original game.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

ImpishSpeedyCero-size_restricted.gif

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Art style looks amazing. For some reason it really reminds me of Minish Cap.

I'm into it and will day 1.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Okay... I'm gonna nitpick but it's literally the only thing about this entire announcement that kinda bugs me.

I think the typeface/logo is real boring. The lute is okay, but the text treatment feels real basic. Like I don't like looking at it.

EDIT: This is what I mean. Logo they used is just very uniform and flat. They could have adjusted scale or something to make it a bit more appealing.

WHlq6rw.jpg

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The best part for me is exactly that these games are almost entirely out of left field, aside from Starlink in the sense that it's very Star Fox-like in terms of gameplay. People have been asking for third party/Nintendo collabs for a while but they always seemed to be more "Have a studio that makes similar games to <x franchise> do a traditional <x franchise> game"; I find these wacky crossovers to be much more refreshing than that (although I wouldn't particularly be against that either!).

I actually prefer these spin-offs because for any studio to be tasked with making a an actual Mario or Zelda is kind of a tall order. I mean, we know how Other M or Starfox Zero were received (and I don't particularly dislike Starfox Zero). Things like Metroid Prime seem to be more black swans than repeatable occurrences.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thought for sure the first game would be part of the sale. Ah well, I suppose I'll still grab it tonight.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Maybe I'm too late.

Tal Tal Heights remixes exist in both the dancing commercial and in the Cadence of Hyrule commercial music.

Indie devs just need to pitch in any Tal Tal Heights remixes + a nice gameplay pitch document = Get Nintendo IP rights to add into your game.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching the presentation on my phone so I wasn't able to see the gameplay super well. When the music started kicked in I thought "This sounds a rip off of the Zelda theme. Good thing they're in a Nintendo presentation or that may not go over well".

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
A little apprehensive about the rhythm aspect... but otherwise I'm super down for this. The music and spritework are top notch. Spring release means we're getting this soon!

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I actually prefer these spin-offs because for any studio to be tasked with making a an actual Mario or Zelda is kind of a tall order. I mean, we know how Other M or Starfox Zero were received (and I don't particularly dislike Starfox Zero). Things like Metroid Prime seem to be more black swans than repeatable occurrences.
That's a good point (and I enjoyed my time with SF0). The expectations for a project like that would be through the roof and it'd have such a strong chance to be received poorly.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
This is gonna be so great. Weirdly, the best part about this crossover isn't the Zelda characters or environments that'll be in it but that music. The first one already had an amazing soundtrack, but taking the series with easily the best chiptune songs in gaming and combining it with Necrodancer is actually a match made in heaven.

And just when I thought my hype couldn't get any greater, the trailer whips out motherfucking Tal Tal Heights which is a great sign that we'll get some deep cuts here along with the classics.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I'm really curious about how this collab came to be.

I would never guess Crypt of the Necrodancer would be the first indie game involved in a collaboration with a major Nintendo. Before it, if I had to guess, I'd definitely guess something like Shovel Knight.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I wouldn't call Tal Tal Heights a deep cut.
It's certainly not at the bottom of the list, but I don't think it's in the top 5-10 most popular either. It certainly not the Overworld Theme, Zelda's Lullaby, Song of Storms, Ballad of the Goddess, Lost Woods theme, et cetera.

Maybe once the remake comes out it'll get some more much deserved love, but as of now I don't think a song that's pretty much just on the Game Boy (IIRC) can compete in popularity with the themes that keep coming back with every new big 3D game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I've tried watching videos but I still don't get the gameplay lol
It's a traditional, grid-locked turn-based roguelike but you get rewarded with extra damage and gold if you consistently move on the beat.

So does Nintendo only let other studios use their IPs if they can keep a close eye on them? I'm still a bit bitter about the fangame shutdown stuff.

Perhaos a gossip stone (OoT)?
Nintendo has control and oversight in how the IP gets used and will get a cut of the revenue, this is really a completely different situation than AM2R.