• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but, umm, what's this thing?
CoH_Sheikah_Eye_statue_Sprite.png

Seems like a sheikah jukebox.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Is it weird that the indie roguelike selected to get a Zelda tie-in wasn't the one where the majority of the game was made to be a Zelda 1 reference?

Basically, WHEN'S THE BINDING OF LINK NINTENDO??

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Is it weird that the indie roguelike selected to get a Zelda tie-in wasn't the one where the majority of the game was made to be a Zelda 1 reference?

Basically, WHEN'S THE BINDING OF LINK NINTENDO??
Somehow, I'm not surprised that the game loaded with themes of religion-fueled child abuse was passed up for a Zelda crossover. :P

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Somehow, I'm not surprised that the game loaded with themes of religion-fueled child abuse was passed up for a Zelda crossover. :P
One of these days Nintendo will end their puritanical TYRANNY and give us the Super Mario x Super Meat Boy and the Legend of Zelda x Binding of Isaac crossovers that we deserve

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Necrodancer even though I never got close to finishing it, I'll probably pick this up. I wonder if it will be less challenging than the original game.

So does Nintendo only let other studios use their IPs if they can keep a close eye on them? I'm still a bit bitter about the fangame shutdown stuff.

I don't think an established indie dev team that has published games on Nintendo's systems and a group of fans organized on the internet, regardless of their skill, is a fair comparison.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried watching videos but I still don't get the gameplay lol

It's a rogue game. It can be played like any rogue game where enemies only move when you do as each movement is a "turn". But there's a soundtrack playing in the background. If you time your moves (which the enemies mimic your timing) to the music, you get a multiplier bonus for staying in the beat.

Sometimes you've just gotta pause and think about your moves like and rogue game when shit is hitting the fan. So it's a balance of keeping the Tempo with your movements and surviving.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I enjoyed Necrodancer even though I never got close to finishing it, I'll probably pick this up. I wonder if it will be less challenging than the original game.

I don't think an established indie dev team that has published games on Nintendo's systems and a group of fans organized on the internet, regardless of their skill, is a fair comparison.
Should a team have to be "established" in order to make a game using Nintendo IP? I'm not sure if I agree with that idea.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Sick trailer. Sick reveal. Sick beats.
Bought Crypt of the Necrodancer on PS4, Vita, and Switch because of this announcement.
Guess crossovers DO sell. lol

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this is probably going to be a cool crossover proof of concept for Crypt of the Necrodancer 2 right? I'd hope that if it isn't and is a fully realized game that it maintains the spirit of the original.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Should a team have to be "established" in order to make a game using Nintendo IP? I'm not sure if I agree with that idea.
If Nintendo is going to invest thousands of dollars in them, it's hard to see how they could go forward with any kind of deal if they aren't organized as a business with sufficient assets and experience to justify the expense. You can't just throw money at someone because they have a good idea

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll wait for Links Awakening unless this gets some universal praise. Anytime I hear randomly generated I tune out. Especially a game like 2d Zelda that's always been built around a well thought out and carefully designed world. I'm glad the game exists, it seems like a cool collaboration , but most likely it's not "for me." Which is fine. I have enough shit to play already.

Cuphead on the other hand... aw yea. Looks amazing.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
If Nintendo is going to invest thousands of dollars in them, it's hard to see how they could go forward with any kind of deal if they aren't organized as a business with sufficient assets and experience to justify the expense. You can't just throw money at someone because they have a good idea
I didn't mean "throw money", just allowing fangames

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
There's a wide gulf between "licensed developer with a history of publishing games on Nintendo platforms" and "individual or group making games using Nintendo IP without Nintendo's licensed and contracted permission."

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be so great. Weirdly, the best part about this crossover isn't the Zelda characters or environments that'll be in it but that music. The first one already had an amazing soundtrack, but taking the series with easily the best chiptune songs in gaming and combining it with Necrodancer is actually a match made in heaven.

And just when I thought my hype couldn't get any greater, the trailer whips out motherfucking Tal Tal Heights which is a great sign that we'll get some deep cuts here along with the classics.
The Tal Tal Heights remix is amazing. It's such a great segue in the reveal, I knew it before my brain processed the information that it was a Zelda themed game.

I'm not even very good at games like this.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Stereotyping of a language
I wonder how the idea for this collaboration came about. Did one of the indie devs throw the idea out there on a whim not expecting it to go anywhere, and then Miyamoto turned out to be a fan of CotND and said "Hell yes" (only it would be in Japanese, so like, "Hellfu yesfu").

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the idea for this collaboration came about. Did one of the indie devs throw the idea out there on a whim not expecting it to go anywhere, and then Miyamoto turned out to be a fan of CotND and said "Hell yes" (only it would be in Japanese, so like, "Hellfu yesfu").

That was posted a few pages back.

"We were considering making a new Nintendo Switch project," Clark explained to me "and we imagined how cool it would be to have Zelda characters appearing in NecroDancer; say as DLC." But Nintendo's interest apparently grew beyond a simple DLC. "To our surprise, Nintendo was extremely interested in the prospect, and before we knew it we were working on a completely new title, mashing up NecroDancer with The Legend of Zelda!"

On Nintendo's side, Scott tells me that "developers are always reaching out to Nintendo to include IP in their games," but clearly something was different this time around. "When you look at a case like Cadence of Hyrule, there's special cases in some instances where our Japan team see content and see titles that they want to work with and [the interest is] a two-way street, really."

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I didn't mean "throw money", just allowing fangames
But they have almost nothing to gain and a significant amount to lose by allowing whomever to do whatever they want with any of their properties.

I personally would like it if they took the Capcom approach and vetted and then legitimized good fan games, but it's a little silly to expect a multi-billion dollar company that owns the second most valuable vault of IP in the world to just let people use it whenever they want for free.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
The question is, where does it exist in the timeline?!
Going by art style similarities, I like to think it exists in the aftermath of Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland which, while never officially placed, hints at taking place in the restored land created by TWW's Great Deku Tree and the Koroks, hundreds of years into the future. I believe the Great Deku Tree of TWW and FPTRR are one and the same.

So in short, Adult timeline in the restored land of Hyrule (and not New Hyrule, which is the setting of Spirit Tracks).

EDIT: Just dawned on me that it was introduced with Link's Awakening music and will be cross-promoted as a way of hyping up the remake. In that case, Downfall timeline is most likely.

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
At any rate, I'm glad this introduced me to the original Necrodancer. I'd heard of the game, but wasn't aware of what it actually was. If I'd known it was basically Mystery Dungeon mixed with a rhythm game I would have bought it years ago.

I do wish it'd been on sale for the Switch, ended up going with the PS4 version instead. Absolutely love it, already made it to the third area (and I now hate purple goblins forever). I know there's Danganronpa content in there somewhere too, but I'm going to try and beat it with Cadence before I dig into the alternate characters and modes.

Now I can anticipate the new game as a fan of both sides of the crossover. The music should be amazing.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
At any rate, I'm glad this introduced me to the original Necrodancer. I'd heard of the game, but wasn't aware of what it actually was. If I'd known it was basically Mystery Dungeon mixed with a rhythm game I would have bought it years ago.

I do wish it'd been on sale for the Switch, ended up going with the PS4 version instead. Absolutely love it, already made it to the third area (and I now hate purple goblins forever). I know there's Danganronpa content in there somewhere too, but I'm going to try and beat it with Cadence before I dig into the alternate characters and modes.

Now I can anticipate the new game as a fan of both sides of the crossover. The music should be amazing.

The Danganronpa (and Shiren the Wanderer) content is basically alternate skins and music tracks for the levels and characters (as opposed to the actually different characters like Monk or Eli). You can play with it at your leisure without affecting the gameplay of Cadence if you want.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Nintendo is giving Zelda lots of love. You can tell they know people want fresh takes on Zelda, seems like they are still sore from Zelda Skyward Sword

Oct 25, 2017
According to the IGN interview they approached Nintendo to have Zelda characters as DLC in the Switch version of their game and Nintendo told them to make a new game.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I mean I love this game but TBH I'm really really bad at it. I'd hate not to be able to experience the story because I'm too terrible to progress.

Also, there needs to be a return of Dance Pad Mode......

Feb 12, 2019
I love that this exists, I love that Nintendo is willing to let other developers goof around with their IP, and I love the concept of mashing up Crypt of the Necrodancer with more Zelda-ish elements.

The only problem is that I'm absolute trash at Crypt of the Necrodancer.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I'd say no. The Capcom games are part of the mainline series. I think Cadence of Hyrule is as much of a Zelda game as Hyrule Warriors is.
What makes them mainline though? Before the timeline reveal they were third-party Zelda games with a tenuous connection to the Link and Zelda we knew in Lttp or Ocarina. I think Hyrule Warriors fits better than some first party Zelda games like Triforce Heroes and Four Swords Adventures on the GC.

I'm sort of playing a game here but it's interesting what fans consider mainline game or spin-off or what Nintendo would call a game that fits a timeline or is deserving of the title The Legend of Zelda.

Some people use excuses to deride the canonicity of a game and even make up categories just to shut out certain game for an argument.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Indie developer who respects the arts and music finds an ally in Nintendo who respects the arts and music. Such a great match of IP that I would have never thought of, but I'm so thankful someone else did.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
What makes them mainline though? Before the timeline reveal they were third-party Zelda games with a tenuous connection to the Link and Zelda we knew in Lttp or Ocarina. I think Hyrule Warriors fits better than some first party Zelda games like Triforce Heroes and Four Swords Adventures on the GC.

I'm sort of playing a game here but it's interesting what fans consider mainline game or spin-off or what Nintendo would call a game that fits a timeline or is deserving of the title The Legend of Zelda.

Some people use excuses to deride the canonicity of a game and even make up categories just to shut out certain game for an argument.
Mainline is easy to determine: if the game's title "The Legend of Zelda" followed by a subtitle, it's a mainline game. That's it. This is excluding the CD-i games (which Nintendo had no control over) and the BS game, though there's a good chance that Ancient Stone Tablets was originally meant to be a mainline game, given it directly makes allusion to Zelda 4 happening concurrently. The format, however, doomed it to obscurity.

Also, there was no "timeline reveal", the timeline was a thing from the beginning, though retcons changed some things later, there was always direct relations between the games.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know, I wonder if there's gonna be more characters than Cadence, Link and Zelda. Sheik would be an obvious choice, as are other Zelda characters but truth be told, I would love to see Takamaru and the Prince of Sablé. Both Mysterious Murasame Castle and For the Frog the Bell Tolls are intrinsically linked to Zelda (with MMS running on Zelda 1's engine, and For the Frog being a prototype for Link's Awakening), and it'd be awesome deep cuts that could provide some cool gameplay mechanics. Plus both games had baller soundtracks.