• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I have this weird thing where I don't really enjoy crossovers if I'm not wholly invested in both parts of the crossover, even if the product as a whole looks really neat. Had that tic with Mario+Rabbids, although I know it's a really high-quality thing from playing a bit of my friend's copy. Same situation here because I am a weirdo, but this does look incredibly neat and the music is banging.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Mainline is easy to determine: if the game's title "The Legend of Zelda" followed by a subtitle, it's a mainline game. That's it. This is excluding the CD-i games (which Nintendo had no control over) and the BS game, though there's a good chance that Ancient Stone Tablets was originally meant to be a mainline game, given it directly makes allusion to Zelda 4 happening concurrently. The format, however, doomed it to obscurity.

Also, there was no "timeline reveal", the timeline was a thing from the beginning, though retcons changed some things later, there was always direct relations between the games.
Okay so you already have a caveat to your own rule. The CD-i game totally count as they used the same name. I don't know how much control Nintendo had with the Capcom Zelda game but they would fall under your issue with the CD-i games. Why make the category in the first place?

Why does a game disappearing due to a format rule it out? This is not as simple as you laid it out to be lol

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
You know, I wonder if there's gonna be more characters than Cadence, Link and Zelda. Sheik would be an obvious choice, as are other Zelda characters but truth be told, I would love to see Takamaru and the Prince of Sablé. Both Mysterious Murasame Castle and For the Frog the Bell Tolls are intrinsically linked to Zelda (with MMS running on Zelda 1's engine, and For the Frog being a prototype for Link's Awakening), and it'd be awesome deep cuts that could provide some cool gameplay mechanics. Plus both games had baller soundtracks.
This is truth af, the true legacy of Zelda is that most things connected to it have dope music

*Edit to remove second mention of "af" and because people note what their edits are for some reason

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Big boy got the bass guitar in that last shot.

Never played Necrodancer but I'll probably check this out.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Okay so you already have a caveat to your own rule. The CD-i game totally count as they used the same name. I don't know how much control Nintendo had with the Capcom Zelda game but they would fall under your issue with the CD-i games. Why make the category in the first place?

Why does a game disappearing due to a format rule it out? This is not as simple as you laid it out to be lol
No, it is fairly simple. The Capcom games were directly supervised by Nintendo (and eventually much of the staff of the teams that did those moved on to Nintendo) and had the name. And Nintendo was much loser with their IPs in the 90s, hence the CD-i games, which were unsupervised completely.

As for BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets, the fact that the game could not be played afterwards and was only ever available in a limited add-on to a console during certain periods... gee, I wonder why that didn't stick around? (Also I now realise that the game's title actually doesn't fit with the structure I laid down there, it being BS The Legend of Zelda not The Legend of Zelda, lol)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The name is important, is all I'm saying. They've never given the name to something that wasn't cared for properly.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
What makes them mainline though? Before the timeline reveal they were third-party Zelda games with a tenuous connection to the Link and Zelda we knew in Lttp or Ocarina. I think Hyrule Warriors fits better than some first party Zelda games like Triforce Heroes and Four Swords Adventures on the GC.

I'm sort of playing a game here but it's interesting what fans consider mainline game or spin-off or what Nintendo would call a game that fits a timeline or is deserving of the title The Legend of Zelda.

Some people use excuses to deride the canonicity of a game and even make up categories just to shut out certain game for an argument.
For me, calling something "mainline" actually has more to do with gameplay than story canonicity. This game has the whole rhythm and roguelike thing going for it, which is different enough from other Zelda games that I'd call it a spinoff rather than a mainline game. Hyrule Warriros, Triforce Heroes, and Four Swords are also different enough gameplay wise that I would classify them as spinoffs.

In my eyes, being mainline/spinoff is completely independent from whether the game is canon or not. Some spinoffs are canon (Four Swords), others are not (Hyrule Warriors). The definition of canon basically just comes down to whatever the owners of the series want it to be. If I had to guess, the main Zelda story writers at Nintendo headquarters won't consider Cadence of Hyrule to be canon. But you never know I guess, maybe they will.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a sheikah jukebox.
Was gonna say the same thing!

I'll wait for Links Awakening unless this gets some universal praise. Anytime I hear randomly generated I tune out. Especially a game like 2d Zelda that's always been built around a well thought out and carefully designed world. I'm glad the game exists, it seems like a cool collaboration , but most likely it's not "for me." Which is fine. I have enough shit to play already.

Cuphead on the other hand... aw yea. Looks amazing.
If it makes any difference, the first game has gotten a lot of pretty universal praise. And I mean, considering that the dev has literally only made the one game, and they impressed Nintendo enough with it to let the borrow the Zelda IP, that should give some idea of the quality. That and the music posted 10 or so pages back certainly piqued my interest for sure! Just checked and it has an 87% on OpenCritic [96% critics recommend] and an 86% on MetaCritic, too.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
For me, calling something "mainline" actually has more to do with gameplay than story canonicity. This game has the whole rhythm and roguelike thing going for it, which is different enough from other Zelda games that I'd call it a spinoff rather than a mainline game. Hyrule Warriros, Triforce Heroes, and Four Swords are also different enough gameplay wise that I would classify them as spinoffs.

In my eyes, being mainline/spinoff is completely independent from whether the game is canon or not. Some spinoffs are canon (Four Swords), others are not (Hyrule Warriors). The definition of canon basically just comes down to whatever the people behind the series want it to be. If I had to guess, the owners of Zelda at Nintendo headquarters won't consider Cadence of Hyrule to be canon. But you never know I guess, the possibility is there.
The definition of mainline and spin-off also comes down to whatever the people behind the scenes want it to be.

Tri Force Heroes and Four Swords are mainline.

Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule are spin-offs.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019

In my eyes, being mainline/spinoff is completely independent from whether the game is canon or not. Some spinoffs are canon (Four Swords), others are not (Hyrule Warriors). The definition of canon basically just comes down to whatever the owners of the series want it to be. If I had to guess, the main Zelda story writers at Nintendo headquarters won't consider Cadence of Hyrule to be canon. But you never know I guess, maybe they will.
I like this approach a lot, but we run into issues with the top-down Zelda and the Third-person 3D games as they play very differently yet are the two formats that retain the most influence over what some people consider the canon that matters.

I wouldn't put the onus on the developers either, as stylish action, survival horror and, lightning speed action were invented to sell more units not to make it easier to find or categorize a game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll overthinking this whole canon thing. Here's how you tell:
  • Did Nintendo say it's canon?
Boom, problem solved.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
No, it is fairly simple. The Capcom games were directly supervised by Nintendo (and eventually much of the staff of the teams that did those moved on to Nintendo) and had the name. And Nintendo was much loser with their IPs in the 90s, hence the CD-i games, which were unsupervised completely.

As for BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets, the fact that the game could not be played afterwards and was only ever available in a limited add-on to a console during certain periods... gee, I wonder why that didn't stick around? (Also I now realise that the game's title actually doesn't fit with the structure I laid down there, it being BS The Legend of Zelda not The Legend of Zelda, lol)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The name is important, is all I'm saying. They've never given the name to something that wasn't cared for properly.
Again not so simple if you have to explain all this to someone asking why some games are or aren't canon, part of the series, or worth ignoring.

Also the BS Zelda game being unplayable would make a lot of The Legend of Zelda games join it's ranks as time is the only factor that keep that game where it is. The Oracle games and Ocarina and a ton of Zelda game would not be canon under your rule because they would have been stuck on aging hardware had Nintendo not repackaged them on modern consoles like the 3DS and the Switch (with Links Awakening, another game that was just as lost as the BS Zelda.)

What I am getting at is the more rigid you think your rules are, then the more inflammatory you have to get to shut out a game from discussion.

Obviously, I think names are a totally valid way to collect a series of games or media together, but can't cover all the games that people consider mainline or whatever distinction someone might invent. "I only play the 3D Zeldas" or "I play the mainline game, so only the 2D titles that look like the original Legend of Zelda.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Ya'll overthinking this whole canon thing. Here's how you tell:
  • Did Nintendo say it's canon?
Boom, problem solved.
That's one way to go at it. though whats the purpose of the category? Don't play the games Nintendo doesn't list as canon? When discussing mainline canonicity or story content, should we ignore Triforce Heroes? Does link know anything about Crossbows?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's one way to go at it. though whats the purpose of the category? Don't play the games Nintendo doesn't list as canon? When discussing mainline canonicity or story content, should we ignore Triforce Heroes? Does link know anything about Crossbows?
Now you're talking about a super-small subsection of players who only cares about canon. Not even Nintendo gives a shit about canon. BotW is canon but was made in a way to flip the bird at discussions on canon

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Watched some videos of the first but still having trouble wrapping my head around the gameplay. Is it just something you get once you play it?

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Now you're talking about a super-small subsection of players who only cares about canon. Not even Nintendo gives a shit about canon. BotW is canon but was made in a way to flip the bird at discussions on canon
But... you made a post describing yourself as that small subset. You're talking about yourself.

All i'm saying is that the categories are arbitrary and it's weird that people use arbitrary rules to bully games into obscurity or out of top ten lists or canonicity.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I wouldn't have given this game a second look otherwise. Power of the Zelda series.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Saw Link and Zelda and was very confused, but upon watching further I am now sold. Is the first game on the Switch? Will pick it up to try out the game before hand.

Please Nintendo if this becomes a semi-regular occurrence allow Team Cherry to make Metroid Dread, and I'm not even that big of a Metroid fan. Would just love to see what they could do after Hollow Knight using the Metroid IP.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Watched some videos of the first but still having trouble wrapping my head around the gameplay. Is it just something you get once you play it?

It's basically a typical roguelike, i.e. turn-based, only instead of taking your time with turns, the idea is to play/move/attack to the beat of the music.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But... you made a post describing yourself as that small subset. You're talking about yourself.

All i'm saying is that the categories are arbitrary and it's weird that people use arbitrary rules to bully games into obscurity or out of top ten lists or canonicity.
I don't know how you got that out of my post. My point was Nintendo outright tells us in the games are canon or not. And they also stopped caring about canon themselves. BotW pretty much shows that.

People who dont play games that aren't canon is very small, as we can tell by the games' sales. Gameplay style has more an effect on sales than whether or not it slots into the story.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I don't know how you got that out of my post. My point was Nintendo outright tells us in the games are canon or not. And they also stopped caring about canon themselves. BotW pretty much shows that.
Im not talking about canon. I'm asking why we make our categories. Canon is one way.

I argue that Cadence of Hyrule is also a mainline game, mostly because the Capcom games get to be included in mainline game discussions and those games were made under similar circumstances as Cadence.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Im not talking about canon. I'm asking why we make our categories. Canon is one way.

I argue that Cadence of Hyrule is also a mainline game, mostly because the Capcom games get to be included in mainline game discussions and those games were made under similar circumstances as Cadence.
I'd say most people use the gameplay of the games as an indicator for mainline or not. Hyrule Warriors? That's a spin-off Warriors game. OoA/OoS? Mainline, traditional gameplay. In the end it doesn't matter and you do you.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Yep the youtube description says a random generated overworld and dungeons! (Wich is pretty neat imo)

I think "random generated" is the wrong description here. Just like in all good rogue-lite games, there are so many algorithmic parameters that controls how worlds will look, and what kind of enemies you would encounter at a specific place, etc. "Procedurally generated" is a better term IMO.

The concept is very simple, but tricky. You have one available action at each beat of the music. But your action can only be performed at that point, so you must make decisions constantly.

As I wrote earlier in the thread, it seems like my biggest issue with CotN is fixed in Cadence of Hyrule: the graphics size/style. IMO, the graphics was too retro and too small to work on the Switch screen, for a game that demands such precise synch to each beat. The graphics in Cadence of Hyrule is much larger and better.

Last edited:

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I'd say most people use the gameplay of the games as an indicator for mainline or not. Hyrule Warriors? That's a spin-off Warriors game. OoA/OoS? Mainline, traditional gameplay. In the end it doesn't matter and you do you.
Gameplay is one of the better ways to describe what kind of game you like because categorizing preference is one of the fastest ways to get across what you like about a series, especially with a series as broad as The Legend of Zelda.

However, i have a problem with pretty much every argument everyone makes in an attempt to simplify things. In the case of Hyrule Warriors, calling it a spin-off based on the gameplay means that there is a main series at all, and that there is a default gameplay. So if HW is a spin-off so are all the 3D Zeldas as the original Zelda is a top-down game.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay is one of the better ways to describe what kind of game you like because categorizing preference is one of the fastest ways to get across what you like about a series, especially with a series as broad as The Legend of Zelda.

However, i have a problem with pretty much every argument everyone makes in an attempt to simplify things. In the case of Hyrule Warriors, calling it a spin-off based on the gameplay means that there is a main series at all, and that there is a default gameplay. So if HW is a spin-off so are all the 3D Zeldas as the original Zelda is a top-down game.
Like I said, you do you. If you don't agree, that's fine. You're more of an exception and honestly making something an issue that isn't one at all.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet, picking up tomorrow then, thanks!
I believe there's a demo on the Japanese eShop. I would try it before plunging down the money for it. Not that the game isn't good but the concept takes a couple of runs to get used to and it's not everyone's cup of tea. I love the game though, the music is amazing. Love finding that shop keeper.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Like I said, you do you. If you don't agree, that's fine. You're more of an exception and honestly making something an issue that isn't one at all.
Haha I don't have an issue with any of this, it's fun to talk about this stuff. Though saying I am an exception to some imaginary rule is the type of category bullying that takes place when people think that a series is only one thing and can't be another because it has a name or plays a certain way.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I believe there's a demo on the Japanese eShop. I would try it before plunging down the money for it. Not that the game isn't good but the concept takes a couple of runs to get used to and it's not everyone's cup of tea. I love the game though, the music is amazing. Love finding that shop keeper.
Oh nice, I'll check out the demo then if there is one. Hearing the OG game is $20 is slightly hard to swallow, but if I love it, I'll have no issue supporting the devs in that case.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
So if HW is a spin-off so are all the 3D Zeldas as the original Zelda is a top-down game.
I'd say the mainline 2D Zeldas and the 3D Zeldas are very similar and definitely the same genre, compared to spin-offs like Hyrule Warriors and Crossbow Training.

The difference is that 3D is more complex, so things were added as technology advanced. But at the core, it's the same singleplayer exploring, puzzle solving and combat.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I'd say the mainline 2D Zeldas and the 3D Zeldas are very similar and definitely the same genre, compared to spin-offs like Hyrule Warriors and Crossbow Training.

The difference is that 3D is more complex, so things were added as technology advanced. But at the core, it's the same singleplayer exploring, puzzle solving and combat.
Yeah! I like this explanation a lot because its why I don't like BOTW. Almost all the Zelda games conform to the same dungeon and boss structure.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, not really. There's a pretty clear cut line between what Nintendo considers mainline and what they don't. Check the official source

https://www.zelda.com/

Is Hyrule Warriors a better game than Tri-Force Heroes? Yeah, in my opinion. Does that mean it's more deserving of a spot on the timeline? Nah. It's not like it's placement in the "canon" affects how good the game is or its sales

Last edited:

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For those curious about Crypt of the Necrodancers gameplay there is a trial version on the JP eshop with full English text.

In JP eshop click search, pick the bottom left of the 4 boxes and scroll down. On the games page it's the bottom of the two boxes on the left.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, time to replay Crypt of the NecroDancer, I'm in need of hearing more Danny Baranowsky's soundtrack after this.

0dlvrq8bfkac.png

Only 6 hours of playtime, I need to correct this, I did beat the final boss a few time and unlocked most the characters though.