• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was gonna say the same thing!

If it makes any difference, the first game has gotten a lot of pretty universal praise. And I mean, considering that the dev has literally only made the one game, and they impressed Nintendo enough with it to let the borrow the Zelda IP, that should give some idea of the quality. That and the music posted 10 or so pages back certainly piqued my interest for sure! Just checked and it has an 87% on OpenCritic [96% critics recommend] and an 86% on MetaCritic, too.

I'll wait for the Zelda version and see what everyone says. Especially from people who are like me, that don't like randomly generated levels or roguelikes. Like I think I said, I'm sure it's good just it's probably not for me.

Oct 2, 2018
Well, that's my GOTY for the switch right there. Adore Crypt of the Necrodancer. Finally a reason to dust it off again

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
For those who aren't great at Rhythm games, it's not as difficult as it seems.

Play as Bard for a bit to get a feel for the movement patterns and game play. He doesn't need to follow any rhythm, enemies only move when he does. I do believe that actually beating a zone with him doesn't advance the game, but it helps tremendously for practice, and unlocking items/collecting diamonds.

I played for like 3 hours last night since I realized I never actually got passed Zone 2. Made it to Zone 3 last night lol

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio, USA
Folks, I realized something a little bit ago:

Gleeokenspiel.

D2JGYYHWkAA25ok.png:large

This pun is beautiful.

Also the BS Zelda game being unplayable would make a lot of The Legend of Zelda games join it's ranks as time is the only factor that keep that game where it is. The Oracle games and Ocarina and a ton of Zelda game would not be canon under your rule because they would have been stuck on aging hardware had Nintendo not repackaged them on modern consoles like the 3DS and the Switch (with Links Awakening, another game that was just as lost as the BS Zelda.)

Not really. BS Zelda can't even be replayed on the original hardware because it was only available during select windows, like the Splatoon timed demos. I can still play my original cart of Ocarina on my N64 whenever I want.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried Crypt years ago after hearing amazing things and didn't like it at all, just gave it another chance and I couldn't do it.

Now I'm way less excited. Hopefully the updated visuals make the difference, I tend to put aesthetics over everything else when it comes to enjoying games.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Despite being shit at the original game I'm absolutely going to get this DAY ONE haha.
Hope they include other Zelda characters beyond Link and Zelda, I want to play Sheik, Tingle, representatives from the Zora/Goron/etc races...

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the music isn't all remixes of old Zelda stuff. Like, if there are 25 tracks, I'd want 10 of them to be brand new.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I knew glockenspiel too. Had no idea the random hydra looking thing from a past Zelda game was called a gleeok.

They all have ridiculous names. I remember seeing a lot of them in areas in BotW too. In fact Gleeok has a bridge named after it-

15map.jpg

There's also a fire breathing dragon named Aquamentus for some reason. And of course Dodongo and Manhandla.

Even worse are the standard enemy names. Bats are Keese, snakes are Ropes, and rabbits for some insane reason are "Pols Voice". I'm convinced whoever named these things was on quite an assortment of drugs.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
glockenspiel is like a xylophone. all the bosses in CotN are instrument themed (I think), so it's carrying over to the Zelda bosses

Most are actually music genre-themed, but yes:
Death Metal (grim reaper with an electric guitar)
King Conga (gorilla with a conga line of zombies)
Deep Blues (chessboard with blues-outfitted queen and king)
etc.

Anyone wants to try guessing some of the music-ified Zelda bosses? I wonder if they'll just go for "Canon" with "Ganon" (much as he was just "Cannon" in Enter the Gungeon). :)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Most are actually music genre-themed, but yes:
Death Metal
King Conga
Deep Blues
etc.

Anyone wants to try guessing some of the music-ified Zelda bosses? I wonder if they'll just go for "Canon" with "Ganon" (much as he was just "Cannon" in Enter the Gungeon). :)

Well we already saw Guitarmos in the trailer. I feel like we're gonna get instrument puns for all of the bosses this time.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
What makes them mainline though? Before the timeline reveal they were third-party Zelda games with a tenuous connection to the Link and Zelda we knew in Lttp or Ocarina. I think Hyrule Warriors fits better than some first party Zelda games like Triforce Heroes and Four Swords Adventures on the GC.

I'm sort of playing a game here but it's interesting what fans consider mainline game or spin-off or what Nintendo would call a game that fits a timeline or is deserving of the title The Legend of Zelda.

Some people use excuses to deride the canonicity of a game and even make up categories just to shut out certain game for an argument.

In this case, I'm mostly using the timeline and the "The Legend of Zelda" label as what determines something as mainline. I see your point, though. It's always subjective.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
But Zelda already is a franchise?

Sure Nintendo has licensed out the series to other companies before but the frequency at which they licensed out their entire IP collection is noticeably higher on Switch than past hardware lifespans. I think we're going to see on average 4 Nintendo IP licensed out per year instead of ( I don't have hard numbers here) 1 IP on average per year.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
Man that Tal Tal Heights rendition was absolutely banging. Can't wait for this and its full OST.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They all have ridiculous names. I remember seeing a lot of them in areas in BotW too. In fact Gleeok has a bridge named after it-

15map.jpg

There's also a fire breathing dragon named Aquamentus for some reason. And of course Dodongo and Manhandla.

Even worse are the standard enemy names. Bats are Keese, snakes are Ropes, and rabbits for some insane reason are "Pols Voice". I'm convinced whoever named these things was on quite an assortment of drugs.
Pols Voice are ghosts iirc. With, uh, big rabbit ears and whiskers.

Their name probably derives from how you could more easily defeat them in the FDS original, by shouting into the microphone on the Famicom's 2P controller. Since the NES had no microphone they were made vulnerable to arrows instead for the western release.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Pols Voice are ghosts iirc. With, uh, big rabbit ears and whiskers.

Their name probably derives from how you could more easily defeat them in the FDS original, by shouting into the microphone on the Famicom's 2P controller. Since the NES had no microphone they were made vulnerable to arrows instead for the western release.

I honestly never knew the Famicom had a microphone in the controller at all. Very interesting.

This begs the question, was any sort of localization done on the names? You'd think if they knew shouting wouldn't do anything in the Western version then they would probably change the name, right?

Dobongos is amazing, holy shit. I hope that's what they went for. :D

But then what will Bongo Bongo play?

maxresdefault.jpg

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
The Oracle games and Ocarina and a ton of Zelda game would not be canon under your rule because they would have been stuck on aging hardware had Nintendo not repackaged them on modern consoles like the 3DS and the Switch (with Links Awakening, another game that was just as lost as the BS Zelda.)
I mean, the Oracle games were released on the 3DS, ditto for Link's Awakening DX. Ocarina received a remastered/remade port on the same console. I can literally play Hyrule Fantasy and The Adventure of Link right now on my Switch. These games were never locked in old hardware.

Also I never said anything about canon? Just mainline vs. spin-off.

Also the issue with the format for the BS Zelda games is bigger than it not being available: besides the fact that you had to download them, they literally had live broadcasts that went with them, things had timings based on that, music changes, that's all lost.

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio, USA
I honestly never knew the Famicom had a microphone in the controller at all. Very interesting.

This begs the question, was any sort of localization done on the names? You'd think if they knew shouting wouldn't do anything in the Western version then they would probably change the name, right?
It all works out now, cause when they brought them back in Phantom Hourglass, you HAD to use the DS microphone to beat them at all.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018

However, i have a problem with pretty much every argument everyone makes in an attempt to simplify things. In the case of Hyrule Warriors, calling it a spin-off based on the gameplay means that there is a main series at all, and that there is a default gameplay. So if HW is a spin-off so are all the 3D Zeldas as the original Zelda is a top-down game.

This is a bunch of nonsense.

The 3D Zeldas obviously are the same type of game as the 2D ones. They're all action adventure games with an emphasis on item use, exploration and puzzle solving over raw combat and all possess similar overworld/dungeon structures (yes even BoTW has this structure).

Hyrule Warriors is obviously a different game than these, with being an emphasis on linear stages with hack and slash combat and territory control. It's a spin off because it takes some aesthetic elements from the mainline and overlays them over the Musou gameplay.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That gameplay isn't my thing, but visually it's amazing. I'd love a new Zelda game that looks exactly like that.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I mean, the Oracle games were released on the 3DS, ditto for Link's Awakening DX. Ocarina received a remastered/remade port on the same console. I can literally play Hyrule Fantasy and The Adventure of Link right now on my Switch. These games were never locked in old hardware.

Also I never said anything about canon? Just mainline vs. spin-off.

Also the issue with the format for the BS Zelda games is bigger than it not being available: besides the fact that you had to download them, they literally had live broadcasts that went with them, things had timings based on that, music changes, that's all lost.
chill chill chill, I mentioned the 3DS ports in my post buddy, my point is that if your argument was so universal then it would apply even back before the games were ported at all (Link's Awakening on Switch was just announced last month!)

You can ask any Zelda fan before the 3DS was out if they would disallow a game into a series discussion just because it was on a gameboy, a defunct console. Obviously you'd be laughed off the board which is why I don't like the argument that just because a game is hard to access it should lose its status of being part of the series.

Canon wasn't the core of any of my arguments either, I just think people use arbitrary logic to decide whether a game is part of any category at all. Much like you did by arguing that a Zelda game is only a Zelda game as long as it has the name or if it's still playable.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
This is a bunch of nonsense.

The 3D Zeldas obviously are the same type of game as the 2D ones. They're all action adventure games with an emphasis on item use, exploration and puzzle solving over raw combat and all possess similar overworld/dungeon structures (yes even BoTW has this structure).

Hyrule Warriors is obviously a different game than these, with being an emphasis on linear stages with hack and slash combat and territory control. It's a spin off because it takes some aesthetic elements from the mainline and overlays them over the Musou gameplay.
All my arguments are about the usefulness of categories my dude. You're arguing that they should be categories by genres, which I agree is a good way to pile them together, but I would agree with anyones arbitrary category anyway.

My original position was that Cadence of Hyrule is a mainline title much like the Capcom Zelda games because my arbitrary category must allow third-party Zelda games to be part of the mainline series.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Can't stop watching the trailer, I love the little animations of the various ennemies.
The sprite-work is top notch and kinda nostalgic of Minish Cap.

0cb10267-fa10-4b44-b7oxj3w.gif