• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't give their main charcter a bit of a redesign or something for this game. She looks really plain between Link and Zelda.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how Zelda's face looks
The promotional art is surprisingly not great. Link is pretty good, tho.

This is how the original looked so it's a big step up
323902-crypt-of-the-necrodancer-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
chill chill chill, I mentioned the 3DS ports in my post buddy, my point is that if your argument was so universal then it would apply even back before the games were ported at all (Link's Awakening on Switch was just announced last month!)

You can ask any Zelda fan before the 3DS was out if they would disallow a game into a series discussion just because it was on a gameboy, a defunct console. Obviously you'd be laughed off the board which is why I don't like the argument that just because a game is hard to access it should lose its status of being part of the series.

Canon wasn't the core of any of my arguments either, I just think people use arbitrary logic to decide whether a game is part of any category at all. Much like you did by arguing that a Zelda game is only a Zelda game as long as it has the name or if it's still playable.
Wow, I completely misread your previous post. Like I read it as the exact opposite of what you said.

Whoof, sorry.

Gun Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Crypt of the NecroDancer, but this looks really fun. Gotta say I like the sprite work in this too.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I knew glockenspiel too. Had no idea the random hydra looking thing from a past Zelda game was called a gleeok.
They reuse Zelda enemies all the time, though. Last game Gleeok was in was Phantom Hourglass and that boss was great.
YuSqlB4.png

I look forward to more bosses like:

Digdogger
Zd4cEwT.png

+ Didgeridoo
hP5IWPI.jpg

= Didgeridogger

JxzJHgV.png

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They reuse Zelda enemies all the time, though. Last game Gleeok was in was Phantom Hourglass and that boss was great.
YuSqlB4.png

I look forward to more bosses like:

Digdogger
Zd4cEwT.png

+ Didgeridoo
hP5IWPI.jpg

= Didgeridogger

JxzJHgV.png

You guys are amazing at remembering shit. Phantom Hourglass was what...12 years ago or something? Pretty sure I played it in college.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Damn, this looks great. I haven't even gotten far in CotND (because I suck) but the game is quite fun with its rhythm-based formula. That seems like such s fine thing to bring to Zelda. It's relatively fresh and it comes straight from left field. Fantastic.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking love Crypt of the Necrodancer, its DLC is the only time I've ever bought DLC at full price, sight unseen. I still play every day, my favourite rogue by a massive margin!

I may have to get a Nintendo for this

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It's really weird to see a big nintendo franchise in such a difficult and punishing genre. I wonder if there'll be any difficulty adjustments made for zelda fans that might not be as big into roguelikes..

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just rewatched the trailer, and while i never finished Necrodancer, im buying this game day 1

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Read the text and thought wtf...
Watched the video and thought "omg I need this!".

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really weird to see a big nintendo franchise in such a difficult and punishing genre. I wonder if there'll be any difficulty adjustments made for zelda fans that might not be as big into roguelikes..

Crypt isn't especially hard for the most part. I'd say only a couple of bosses really require major effort, and the last area.

Though I'm guessing this'll be adjusted to be less rougelike(or not at all), probably add proper levels and progression rather than random levels and death resets.

The major fun of Crypt comes from the rhythm gameplay rather than the roguelike elements anyway

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Been playing Crypt and the game is a lot of fun, but trying to get more than five diamonds (let alone 12) for coin multiplier or another heart upgrade is not easy. Still on Area 1, lol, bosses wreck me before I can figure out their pattern. Enjoying it a lot regardless, don't think I'll be able to complete the game before the Zelda one comes out, but at least I'll have practiced for it.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing Crypt and the game is a lot of fun, but trying to get more than five diamonds (let alone 12) for coin multiplier or another heart upgrade is not easy. Still on Area 1, lol, bosses wreck me before I can figure out their pattern. Enjoying it a lot regardless, don't think I'll be able to complete the game before the Zelda one comes out, but at least I'll have practiced for it.

You get increasingly higher amounts of diamonds with every area(i.e 2 instead of 1 in Area 2, 3 instead of 1 in Area 3)

The big thing is finding a weapon you like with good range so you don't have to be adjacent to an enemy. The Bows, Broadsword come to mind

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
You get increasingly higher amounts of diamonds with every area(i.e 2 instead of 1 in Area 2, 3 instead of 1 in Area 3)

The big thing is finding a weapon you like with good range so you don't have to be adjacent to an enemy. The Bows, Broadsword come to mind
Yeah the range weapons are great, the whip with miner hat for no penalty on digging is crazy. I have a lot of good items in chests I can get, it's just I die right before the boss because of a stupid error in movement or I get to the boss and the enemies surround me preventing me from doing much of anything.

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I should get necrodancer and give it another shot. I love everything about it in theory, but couldn't quite get into the groove with the demo. It seems so hard to keep with the beat while making quick decisions. Maybe it's something that clicks eventually, though.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I should get necrodancer and give it another shot. I love everything about it in theory, but couldn't quite get into the groove with the demo. It seems so hard to keep with the beat while making quick decisions. Maybe it's something that clicks eventually, though.

It's probably worth practicing with the character who doesn't need to move in time with the music. Get used to the enemy patterns and mechanics etc with a bit of thinking time then worry about the beat later.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017

Don't be afraid to stop sometimes so you can think about your move. Keeping that multiplier by keeping the beat isn't as important as staying alive.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the floor grid was turned off in the trailer, because I don't think I can play these games without one.

Most anticipated game for me so far.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone notice how the Lynel is basically a Red Dragon?

I wonder if it'll be shadow dropped at e3.
New Link's Awakening Trailer "and you can play Cadence of Hyrule later today"

Yes, would make a lot of sense for them to cover it on Treehouse.

Though I'm guessing this'll be adjusted to be less rougelike(or not at all), probably add proper levels and progression rather than random levels and death resets.

The major fun of Crypt comes from the rhythm gameplay rather than the roguelike elements anyway

The levels are still randomly generated, it says so on Nintendo's site. I don't think it's going to diverge that far from Crypt's gameplay.
Not sure if overworld areas are just the first level of each zone or what, but it says both the overworlds and dungeons are random.

Last edited:

louris

Oct 27, 2017
Has any full song been released since yesterday? I am aching to listen to that Tal Tal Heights full version, or to that tune playing before the trailer began.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Necrodancer last night and played it for 30-40 minutes, only ever managed to get down to the third floor of the first level but oh my god the music, it's so good. I bought the soundtrack immediately.

So this is my first game in this genre, I think, and I have... no clue how it works lol. You go into the dungeon, but when you die, the only thing you take out with you are the diamonds? How do the power-ups/upgrades you buy in the lobby work? Do you lose everything when you turn the game off? I saw there was a "story mode" down at the bottom of the lobby, should I play through that or tackle heave level on its own?

I bought it on PS4 since it's on sale but I'm definitely gonna double dip on Switch, it's all I've been able to think about all morning lmao I can't freaking wait for the Zelda version.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
So we have Gleeokenspiel and Electric Guitarmos Knights.

I can't wait for other classic Zelda bosses like "Bongos Bongos" and "Big Opoe"

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So this is my first game in this genre, I think, and I have... no clue how it works lol.

Well, I'm feeling like going into Necrodancer scholar mode (adjusts glasses). :)
Before we start, let me copypaste some crucial advice I gave a friend who's also started the game recently:

Super important Crypt of the Necrodancer tip, especially if you're noticing you're occassionally dropping bombs accidentally. The game was originally meant to be played with only four directional keys on PC so that it's compatible with dance mats, so all other commands (spells, throw dagger, items, etc.) could be performed by pressing two directions at once. They added button bindings as a convenience (and, well, to make it compatible with gamepads, because one of these commands was "up + down", which is considerably easier to do on a keyboard or dance mt than a stick or d-pad :D), but it seems they left some of the commands in the console versions for whatever reason. Particularly, the command to drop a bomb is "left+down", so if you press that accidentally, you'll drop one.

Fortunately, there's an option to disable these alternate bindings (and it's frankly mind-boggling they're not disabled by default). Just go to Options -> Rebind Controls and check "ignore multi-press combos", boom (or rather, "no more boom").

You go into the dungeon, but when you die, the only thing you take out with you are the diamonds?

Correct! And what's more, unspent diamonds are lost when you enter the dungeon again (the game warns you about this). This means you should probably buy the most expensive things you can afford. That said, don't worry about that too much because later levels drop diamonds in bundles of 2, 3 or 4. In fact, with the DLC, the fastest way to farm diamonds is to go into the fifth level, which for some reason is unlocked from the start and has 4-diamond bundles.

How do the power-ups/upgrades you buy in the lobby work?

For things like extra hears, they're permanent; that is, you will start every subsequent run with them.
For things like items and weapons, you aren't actually buying them; you're unlocking them so that they can appear on subsequent runs (there's also a janitor that lets you remove items you don't want to appear).

Do you lose everything when you turn the game off?

As long as you're in the lobby, you don't lose anything that you haven't already lost by returning to the lobby (either from level victory or death). Even unspent diamonds are saved, and will only be removed when you enter a new run.

If you're in the middle of a run, I'm guessing the run is aborted, although I've never done this.

I saw there was a "story mode" down at the bottom of the lobby, should I play through that or tackle heave level on its own?

Ignore this for the moment, that's a bit of an advanced mode. Story mode (and almost any other alternate mode that's not accessing the levels from the lobby) makes you go through all the levels in sequence, with the following modifications:
- Every items is unlocked (drops are not limited to what you've unlocked in the lobby).
- Upgrades are ignored (you always start the game with three hearts and 1x coin multiplier).
Story mode in particular makes you go through the first four levels with Cadence, then Melody, then Aria. The "story" you get from it is the same as you get by completing the levels on their own from the lobby.

I bought it on PS4 since it's on sale but I'm definitely gonna double dip on Switch, it's all I've been able to think about all morning lmao I can't freaking wait for the Zelda version.

*highfive*

A couple more tips. Characters in Necrodancer have wildly different difficulty in playing them (some like Aria and Coda are an absolute nightmare to play). The thing is Cadence, contrary to most roguelites (where the "default" character tends to be easier / more straightforward than the altered modes other characters provide), isn't actually the easiest character to play. If you find the game kicking your ass, I would recommend starting with one of these two characters:
- The Bard plays pretty much like Cadence but turns the game into a turn-based game, much like a classic roguelike: there's no beat movement, enemies instead only move when you do. This obviously makes the game much easier.
- Nocturna is a character added in the DLC that has her own story mode separate from the rest of the cast. She's considerably easier than Cadence, as she starts with a cutlass (has a lunge attack, can parry attacks) rather than a dagger, and can turn into a bat form which deals a whopping 4 damage per hit, is immune to traps, can see enemies in the entire level, and regenerates half a heart every five enemies you kill. The downside to bat form is that it can't dig or use equipment, and that turning back to human form costs half a heart. And the only downsides to Nocturna herself compared to Cadence is that these mechanics make her a bit less straightforward than Cadence, and that each floor will have a room with enemies from level 5, but these aren't particularly hard.

If you have any other question I'll be happy to help. :)

Last edited:

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm feeling like going into Necrodancer scholar mode (adjusts glasses). :)
Before we start, let me copypaste some crucial advice I gave a friend who's also started the game recently:

Super important Crypt of the Necrodancer tip, especially if you're noticing you're occassionally dropping bombs accidentally. The game was originally meant to be played with only four directional keys on PC so that it's compatible with dance mats, so all other commands (spells, throw dagger, items, etc.) could be performed by pressing two directions at once. They added button bindings as a convenience (and, well, to make it compatible with gamepads, because one of these commands was "up + down", which is considerably easier to do on a keyboard or dance mt than a stick or d-pad :D), but it seems they left some of the commands in the console versions for whatever reason. Particularly, the command to drop a bomb is "left+down", so if you press that accidentally, you'll drop one.

Fortunately, there's an option to disable these alternate bindings (and it's frankly mind-boggling they're not disabled by default). Just go to Options -> Rebind Controls and check "ignore multi-press combos", boom (or rather, "no more boom").

Correct! And what's more, unspent diamonds are lost when you enter the dungeon again (the game warns you about this). This means you should probably buy the most expensive things you can afford. That said, don't worry about that too much because later levels drop diamonds in bundles of 2, 3 or 4. In fact, with the DLC, the fastest way to farm diamonds is to go into the fifth level, which for some reason is unlocked from the start and has 4-diamond bundles.

For things like extra hears, they're permanent; that is, you will start every subsequent run with them.
For things like items and weapons, you aren't actually buying them; you're unlocking them so that they can appear on subsequent runs (there's also a janitor that lets you remove items you don't want to appear).

As long as you're in the lobby, you don't lose anything that you haven't already lost by returning to the lobby (either from level victory or death). Even unspent diamonds are saved, and will only be removed when you enter a new run.

If you're in the middle of a run, I'm guessing the run is aborted, although I've never done this.

Ignore this for the moment, that's a bit of an advanced mode. Story mode (and almost any other alternate mode that's not accessing the levels from the lobby) makes you go through all the levels in sequence, with the following modifications:
- Every items is unlocked (drops are not limited to what you've unlocked in the lobby).
- Upgrades are ignored (you always start the game with three hearts and 1x coin multiplier).
Story mode in particular makes you go through the first four levels with Cadence, then Melody, then Aria. The "story" you get from it is the same as you get by completing the levels on their own from the lobby.

*highfive*

A couple more tips. Characters in Necrodancer have wildly different difficulty in playing them (some like Aria and Coda are an absolute nightmare to play). The thing is Cadence, contrary to most roguelites (where the "default" character tends to be easier / more straightforward than the altered modes other characters provide), isn't actually the easiest character to play. If you find the game kicking your ass, I would recommend starting with one of these two characters:
- The Bard plays pretty much like Cadence but turns the game into a turn-based game, much like a classic roguelike: there's no beat movement, enemies instead only move when you do. This obviously makes the game much easier.
- Nocturna is a character added in the DLC that has her own story mode separate from the rest of the cast. She's considerably easier than Cadence, as she starts with a cutlass (has a lunge attack, can parry attacks) rather than a dagger, and can turn into a bat form which deals a whopping 4 damage per hit, is immune to traps, can see enemies in the entire level, and regenerates half a heart every five enemies you kill. The downside to bat form is that it can't dig or use equipment, and that turning back to human form costs half a heart. And the only downsides to Nocturna herself compared to Cadence is that these mechanics make her a bit less straightforward than Cadence, and that each floor will have a room with enemies from level 5, but these aren't particularly hard.

If you have any other question I'll be happy to help. :)
How many hours do you have in the game?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
How many hours do you have in the game?

That's an excellent question. I have 12 hours on Steam, but most of my playtime is on Vita, with AFAIK doesn't let one check that. I completed the game with Cadence and Melody, then hit the difficulty wall that is Aria and stopped.

Fun fact: while checking if I could see my played time on Vita, the game asked me to update for the Amplified content. I thought that would never come to Vita... which is why I rebought it on Switch. :P

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
This literally came out of nowhere and instantly became one of my most anticipated games. For those who are being pessimistic about Crypt of the NecroZeldancer (yes that's how I'm calling it): I don't think Nintendo would throw the Zelda franchise to just anyone. They clearly see something special in these devs. And if you played the original CotN you know what that is.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
That's an excellent question. I have 12 hours on Steam, but most of my playtime is on Vita, with AFAIK doesn't let one check that. I completed the game with Cadence and Melody, then hit the difficulty wall that is Aria and stopped.

Fun fact: while checking if I could see my played time on Vita, the game asked me to update for the Amplified content. I thought that would never come to Vita... which is why I rebought it on Switch. :P
At least you have a Switch, I'll need to get one for this Zelda game!

Yeah the other characters can be really punishing and not really fun either.

My favourite mode was just doing the daily challenge but now since Amplified I love doing Nocturna on Hard Mode. It's hectic but I like the challenge!

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Today I bought and played a bunch of Crypt of the NecroDancer. It's a really unique and fun roguelike, I see why Nintendo would be interested in doing a collaboration with them. I hope they keep doing this type of thing in the future. The music is also amazing, as expected from the original composer of Super Meat Boy.

One thing I noticed after playing for a few hours and then coming back to watch the video is how great of an upgrade the visuals are. They are going for a more Game Boy Advance era artstyle and I'm loving it, it looks even better than before.