• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020

A proposal aimed at removing the last remnant of slavery from California law failed to pass the state Senate on Thursday after Gov. Gavin Newsom's administration warned it could cost taxpayers billions of dollars by forcing the state to pay prisoners a $15-per-hour minimum wage.

The U.S. Constitution bans slavery but says it's OK for the government to force people to work — known as "involuntary servitude" — as punishment for a crime. Many state constitutions say the same thing, including California's.

Some state lawmakers wanted to change California's Constitution to ban all forms of involuntary servitude. They wrote an amendment and planned to put it on the ballot this fall for voters to approve. But Thursday, the California Senate rejected the amendment over concerns of how it would impact the state prison system, which requires inmates to work and often pays them less than $1 per hour.

Lawmakers could try again next week. But if the amendment doesn't pass by June 30, it won't be on the ballot this year.
The Newsom administration has warned that the amendment could require the state to pay inmates a minimum wage, which in California is $15 per hour. That would cost taxpayers about $1.5 billion per year, according to Aaron Edwards, an analyst with the California Department of Finance.
Apparently paying inmates minimum wage is a bridge too far for us. -_-

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, don't worry, they're in prison so obviously they must deserve it and so slavery is cool. Please ignore the fact that a bunch of things people go to jail for are bullshit and the racial biases inherent to our justice system that make certain people (read: minorities) way more likely to go to jail over smaller offenses or even get sentenced when they're innocent. Pay no attention to the monsters behind the curtain

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Including prison labor, hahahaha that was never passing, American's prison slave labor is legal slavery...

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Is this not one of those types of things Californians can sign a bunch of signatures for and force onto the ballot for a statewide vote?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's cool that in a state with rapidly increasing homelessness with skyrocketing cost of living they can just throw those people in prison and then enslave them. I hate it here.

Oct 26, 2017
Even regular people who are pretty liberal are more than fine with this shit sadly, went on a date with a girl like this last summer who is totally against paying them anything and it was reaaaaaal yikes moment.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's weird to think that slavery is still very much alive in America in the present. Regardless of the crime, "criminals" are inherently not viewed too favourably by the public; they "deserve it" to a lot of people. Makes it so much easier to turn a blind eye to them being used for what's effectively slave labour.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Another in a long list of reasons that no nation should be extraditing anyone to the usa, I don't care what reason the usa wants someone, no one should be sent there when the usa prison system is a known source for many daily human rights violations. This shit is absolutely fucked up and the amount of Americans who find it totally acceptable has always been awful.

May 26, 2018
If there were a national referendum on slavery, and the biggest story was that re-instating slavery would raise most free people's pay checks, I wonder how the country would vote.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Homelessness state capital of the USA throwing the less fortunate and massive minority populations into a slave labor designed machine is working as intended…

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang must be one of the finest wine movie there. 90 years later and barely any improvements made.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
California and New York really suck at setting the example for what a blue state should be

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another in a long list of reasons that no nation should be extraditing anyone to the usa, I don't care what reason the usa wants someone, no one should be sent there when the usa prison system is a known source for many daily human rights violations. This shit is absolutely fucked up and the amount of Americans who find it totally acceptable has always been awful.

This.

The American prison system is abhorrent and no extraditions should be legal.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
California and New York really suck at setting the example for what a blue state should be
Truth. They're very illuminating examples of the difference between liberal and leftist.

The irony, of course, is that some Americans are so far right that they view California as this extremely left-wing la la land, for just not being (as much of) a batshit god-and-guns theocracy.

California passed a state constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage as late as 2008, but the people who like to point to California as some sort of left-wing dystopia don't seem to remember that.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
may I point out CalFire and CalPIA. These inmates work their asses off and get paid almost nothing and despite gaining these skills, cannot apply them to real jobs once they are free.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Taxes and property values will get California clutching its pearls real quick. Never fails.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Gavin Newsom needs to be reminded that indentured servitude and forced labor are forms of slavery. Just because the people aren't treated like chattel doesn't mean it isn't slavery.

I hope people start calling him a slave owner since these are state prisons and their his forced servants.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
may I point out CalFire and CalPIA. These inmates work their asses off and get paid almost nothing and despite gaining these skills, cannot apply them to real jobs once they are free.
They changed that a few years ago.

www.npr.org

California Bill Clears Path For Ex-Inmates To Become Firefighters

"Inmates who have stood on the frontlines, battling historic fires should not be denied the right to later become a professional firefighter," Gov. Gavin Newsom said upon signing the bill on Friday.