• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Catastrophic wildfires continue to ravage California, as one blaze nearly doubled in size over the last three days, making it the largest in the state's history.

No one has been injured in the Mendocino Complex Fire, which consists of two fires -- the Ranch Fire and the River Fire -- burning around Clear Lake, in several counties in Northern California.

Combined, they form the biggest blaze that California firefighters are currently battling. Altogether, the Mendocino Complex Fire has burned 283,800 acres -- growing about 80% since Friday night. As of Monday evening, it was 30% contained and had destroyed 75 residences.
The Mendocino Complex Fire has now surpassed last year's Thomas Fire, which burned 281,893 acres in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, as the largest fire in Cal Fire history.
Exhausted firefighters across the state are trying to contain 16 major fires that are burning in hot, dry and windy conditions.
On Monday, another fast-moving fire ignited in the state -- this time in Orange County, where firefighters battled the Holy Fire that expanded to more than 4,000 acres. That fire started in the Cleveland National Forest and evacuations in the nearby areas have been ordered, according to the Orange County Fire Authority.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/06/us/california-fires/index.html

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, wasn't it just last summer with the epic rain and crazy flooding?
tenor.gif
Not funny.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing I can add other then: stay safe.

Also, this recent 99pi is a pretty interesting listen about some of the research done on fighting the loss of property in these areas.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Stop quoting the fucking picture. If you have an issue report it and move on.

This is scary. Last year a family member's house nearly burned down in one of the large fires and in the last month there have been two more fires by their house. I feel for all these people losing their homes. Fires werentw really something you considered years ago when buying a home but lately they have been really thinking about moving.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like the future for California.

We'll need programs to help relocate residents of these areas permanently. It would certainly be more cost effective in the long run, not to mention safer for both residents and fire fighters.

Gonna need to do the same thing for residents of flooding coastal cities as well.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Sorry to derail the thread, folks. I only read the selection in the OP without reading the rest of the article. Wouldn't have posted the gif if I'd known people had died from this, something that wasn't mentioned in the OP. But the destroyed homes were mentioned and in light of that it was in poor taste to post it. Carry on.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to derail the thread, folks. I only read the selection in the OP without reading the rest of the article. Wouldn't have posted the gif if I'd known people had died from this, something that wasn't mentioned in the OP. But the destroyed homes were mentioned and in light of that it was in poor taste to post it. Carry on.

It's the largest fire in state history and you didn't think someone may have died from this?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Have you seen the interview with the grandfather who listened on the phone to his wife and two grandchildren begging for him to come rescue them as they were dying in the fire while he was standing helplessly hundreds of yards away because of the intensity of the fire? This is really not a joking matter.
God damn that is sad and heartbreaking. Living across the country I always hear about the wildfires but it just seems a lot worse this year. Is there any way to prevent them or is it just a natural occurrence.

Oct 27, 2017
God damn that is sad and heartbreaking. Living across the country I always hear about the wildfires but it just seems a lot worse this year. Is there any way to prevent them or is it just a natural occurrence.
Extended droughts combined with arsonists, or in this case merely an accident, are making things worse. This fire was started by a flat tire of all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.