• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Let's see more of this!

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said Sunday he was directing all bars, pubs and wineries in the state to close, while also calling for new restrictions on restaurants, as the country grapples with the growing COVID-19 pandemic.

Newsom made the announcement during a press conference shortly after Illinois and Ohio ordered all bars and restaurants in their states to close. The California governor said that restaurants would be allowed to remain open, but would be required to reduce their capacity and maintain measures to ensure social distancing among customers.

He also said the number of positive coronavirus test cases in the state had risen to 335. The total death toll from the disease in the state now stands at six, he said.

The governor also requested all people over 65 participate in home isolation.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering if they are, or can, start to cancel things like church and whatnot. My grandmother is really religious and even she went "Fuck y'all I'll see you when this shit ends" lol

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand why states are rolling these things out so slowly. It's pretty clear that total quarantine is going to be needed, so just get it over with.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's a smart move - but now I wish I stocked up more on booze.

Alcohol could be the new TP.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if they are, or can, start to cancel things like church and whatnot. My grandmother is really religious and even she went "Fuck y'all I'll see you when this shit ends" lol
My mom's church started livestreaming their service this week and is closing next, probably going to be the pastor doing sermons from his office online for folks.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 states in the past few hours. Wonder how long other states will go before doing this or it just happens on a national level.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why states are rolling these things out so slowly. It's pretty clear that total quarantine is going to be needed, so just get it over with.

Because these decisions aren't to be made lightly. Shutting everything down has a significant impact and things should be considered before taking the nuclear option.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

All my local mosques in California suspended weekly and daily congregations until further notice, so yes.

Will be quite interesting with Ramadan in less than a month, to have all the mosques closed. Unprecedented times.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Uh...that's something you need to have in place BEFORE you require thousands of businesses to close and hundreds of thousands of workers out of work.
It is in place.

Reduced Work Hours
If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own. Workers who are temporarily unemployed due to COVID-19 and expected to return to work with their employer within a few weeks are not required to actively seek work each week. However, they must remain able and available and ready to work during their unemployment for each week of benefits claimed and meet all other eligibility criteria. Eligible individuals can receive benefits that range from $40-$450 per week.

The Governor's Executive Order waives the one-week unpaid waiting period, so you can collect UI benefits for the first week you are out of work. If you are eligible, the EDD processes and issues payments within a few weeks of receiving a claim.

What benefits are available if I am subject to quarantine, am not ill, and am not found eligible for a Disability Insurance claim?
You are encouraged to apply for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits if you are unemployed, which includes reasons such as:

• Your hours are reduced due to the quarantine.
  • You were separated from your employer during the quarantine.
  • You are subject to a quarantine required by a medical professional or state or local health officer.

You can be eligible for benefits if you have enough earnings over the past 12-18 months and meet other eligibility criteria. The Governor's Executive Order waives the one-week unpaid waiting period, so you can collect UI benefits for the first week you are out of work. If you are eligible, the EDD processes and issues payments within a few weeks of receiving a claim.

EDD representatives may need to set up a phone interview with you to collect more details.

• If you are temporarily out of work and plan to return to the same employer, you do not need to meet the usual requirement of looking for work while you are collecting unemployment benefits. The EDD will inform you if you are not required to look for work each week.
  • If you are not connected to a certain employer with a job to return to, you are required to look for work while collecting benefits. Looking for work can be done from home including using online channels, mailing job applications, calling about job openings, registering in CalJOBSSM (the state's online labor exchange system), etc. The EDD will inform you if you are required to look for work each week.

1. How much can I collect in benefits with an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim?
    Eligible individuals can receive benefits that range from $40-$450 per week. Depending on your maximum award for your UI claim and your weekly benefit amounts paid, the number of weeks you can potentially receive benefit payments ranges from 13 to 26 weeks if you are paid at your full weekly benefit amount for each of those weeks. Your payments could stretch to a longer duration if you perform some work for pay or if you receive other deductible income during the course of a claim, and you receive reduced unemployment benefits as a result during those weeks.
    You can use the Unemployment Insurance Calculator to help estimate your potential weekly benefit amount.
    The Governor's Executive Order waives the one-week unpaid waiting period, so you can collect UI benefits for the first week you are out of work. If you are eligible, the EDD processes and issues payments within a few weeks of receiving a claim.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Let's see if my conservative, dumbass parents hate a huge hatred for Newsome actually listen to this.

My mom's already pissed that one of her meetings was cancelled, but she can't get it through her head as to why.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Doing stuff step by step is smarter than dumping it all at once.

"A few weeks" isn't helpful to people living paycheck-to-paycheck.

Which is why utilities are suspending disconnects for non-payment, evictions are suspended, SF is using trailers for temporary shelters for the unhoused, etc.

CA may not get it all right, but state and local govs are trying to do the best with what they have.

Oct 25, 2017
There is little to no Federal direction on this so states and local governments have to act on their own and none of those can be as effective as the Fed.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
I finally got ahold of my mom and dad. They said church was packed. I yelled at em and they just laughed. " we are in gods hands aways" Well mom I hope he washed his hands. Good job, fuck the experts I guess.

🤷🏾‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Customer still wants training and fieldwork for the rest of March, we'll see how long that lasts. That said I'd rather get all this work done now, rather than later

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
All my local mosques in California suspended weekly and daily congregations until further notice, so yes.

Will be quite interesting with Ramadan in less than a month, to have all the mosques closed. Unprecedented times.

I was actually ready to ask what would happen when special times like Ramadan comes around. There's going to be so many firsts this year. Same thing with Easter and Passover as well.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let's see if my conservative, dumbass parents hate a huge hatred for Newsome actually listen to this.

My mom's already pissed that one of her meetings was cancelled, but she can't get it through her head as to why.

My mom was complaining that the senior center she likes to hang out at was closed.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Forcing businesses to close (and thus limiting consumer spending) is totally not gonna accelerate a possible recession, right guys? /s

I mean, would you rather the virus spread because Americans are too stupid to limit their contact with others? It's either we let way too many people die or a recession and I'd rather the recession because no president up for a second term has ever survived a recession during election year.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Close the fucking restaurants already, turn them into curbside pickup only.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i took my aunt to the hospital on saturday and then saw mostly young people with mask in the emergency room and made me think if they were all just here for flu like symptoms. i was afraid for my aunt since shes 64 and probably has a weak immune system thanks to diabetes and a recent surgery for her right knee the week before. i just kept thinking about her keeping safe and not getting corora virus on top of what she was already going through.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit

PS obama did

Anyway wow. That is some SERIOUSLY childish logic.

Obama came into office during the great recession and took the steps to pull the nation out of it.

My point, as ineloquently as I said it, was essentially if we are going to accelerate a recession from quarantining or just continue to let people spread the virus, we are better off letting the recession happen. It's not ideal but what would you have people do?

Status
Not open for further replies.