• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
On Monday night, the California state assembly voted 72-0 in favor of a bill that could make it possible for college athletes in the state to make money from their names, images or likenesses.

Who would be paying California's college athletes?
The bill does not suggest schools should be responsible for giving any more money to their athletes than they already do. Nor does it guarantee that every student-athlete would be able to make more. It provides an opportunity for them to profit by selling the use of their name, image or likeness (NIL) to outside bidders.

Athletes currently are required to sign away the rights to use their own NIL to make money when they start playing a college sport. This bill would make it illegal for colleges to take away a player's scholarship or eligibility as punishment for accepting endorsements. So, in the future, a star quarterback at USC might be able to sign an apparel deal with Nike or star in a McDonald's commercial. The bill also allows for things like a Stanford swimmer advertising that she is teaching swimming lessons or an entertaining athlete to collect advertising revenue for starring on his own YouTube channel.

Are California schools going to be kicked out of the NCAA?
If the bill is passed and the NCAA doesn't change its rules before 2023, there could be a standoff between California and the NCAA that would likely be decided in court. In that scenario, California's laws would make it illegal for schools in the state to follow NCAA rules.
However, politicians and athletic directors in California both think it's unlikely that the conflict will ever reach that point. There are several other dominoes that could fall in the next three years that would affect the future of the NCAA's NIL rules.

Take away my eligibility if old.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering if the NCAA can just kick the schools out, the common belief is that they'd be subject to antitrust suits. Usually they are exempt from such suits, but because it has to do with the NCAA defying a state law there's a basis for a case against them.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
A small but important step in the right direction. Next is making the schools pay the damn athletes.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
But what will happen to the sanctity of college sports if they are allowed to make money on endorsements?

Nick_Saban_teams_with_the_Aflac_Duck.jpg

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long time coming. NCAA and schools have been profiting off of free labor, these students have every right as workers. Hopefully this catches on.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, it's crazy how much these people make money off of these athletes. Should of happened a long time ago.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
UHHHHHHHH

idk on one hand I support the kids getting paid

on the other, I thoroughly enjoy watching my school in the NCAA tourneys

Then again.... kick out UCLA, Stanford, and $c? LMAO gg NCAA

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The NCAA's argument for amateurism doesn't hold up anymore with the money made off such players, it's not like say, trivia bowls where even state level stuff is ran informally and with a mom with a shoebox full of ones as concessions

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Good

I hope athletes flock there and other states/the NCAA is forced to react

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I remember being shocked when I found out they couldn't get the same kind of deals as normal athletes.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Good, the NCAA can piss off
But what will happen to the sanctity of college sports if they are allowed to make money on endorsements?

Nick_Saban_teams_with_the_Aflac_Duck.jpg

This should show you everything that's wrong with the NCAA. For anyone who doesn't know, that's Nick Saban, head coach of Alabama's football team. They've been the most successful college football team for at least the last decade. He's made an assload of money during his time as coach. If a player did this exact same ad, they would lost their eligibility.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Support this bill but gotta say I hate that name.

"Fair Pay to Play Act"

Gives me the heebies all over.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the other Pac-12 states and their schools would jump on board. Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Utah and Colorado, for those wondering. Can easily see Oregon and Washington jumping in, maybe Colorado (though I don't know how my employer would feel about it)

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the other Pac-12 states and their schools would jump on board. Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Utah and Colorado, for those wondering. Can easily see Oregon and Washington jumping in, maybe Colorado (though I don't know how my employer would feel about it)

If they want to stay competitive w/ recruiting, they'd follow suit. If CA is the only state to pass this law, I'd expect every 5 star recruit to look at a CA school to be their top choice.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If they want to stay competitive w/ recruiting, they'd follow suit. If CA is the only state to pass this law, I'd expect every 5 star recruit to look at a CA school to be their top choice.
Not if they're banned from the NCAA and aren't eligible for a bowl. I thought I remember hearing the colleges themselves were lobbying against it?

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Not if they're banned from the NCAA and aren't eligible for a bowl. I thought I remember hearing the colleges themselves were lobbying against it?

I'm not sure I'd want a ride on that NCAA ship. If they can't appeal and stop this they're the ones with the real problem... Not California or their Universities.

The NCAA only exists because of these institutions and athletes. They aren't the foundation everything relies on.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great first step, and that a big football state like California did it will put pressure on the others. Hopefully Texas and Florida follow suit, if those two dominos fall, the entire country will fall in line out of fear of being left behind. As is right now, this is an insanely huge incentive for athletes to go to school in California.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I could See NCAA threatening the schools.

The state of california? Not a damn chance. California is one of the biggest money making states for the NCAA.

Keep in mind, the NCAA doesn't make money in football. Their money comes primarily from basketball, softball, and baseball. All sports the entire state is a powerhouse in. Basketball especially.

And keep in mind, it's not about "winning championships," it's about viewer numbers, especially the NCAA basketball tournaments.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The first step in getting the triumphant return of the NCAA Football video game series.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
At least a stipend would do for college athletes, they do so much work and schools profit so much, glad they will get a chance to get some bills paid.

Jul 18, 2018
Great first steps. These kids can finally earn something more than a health/body/mental related injury from the sport. Now we just need actual wages

Fk the NCAA