• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Game is running the worst today it has since release.
Spawns acting the worst which is saying something, literally both teams spawning together on a small corner of every map.
Just laggy and weird in general, had 6v6 TDMs where nobody would die normally and nearly every player on both teams had 12+ assists(I had almost 20 multiple times)
Character models aiming into the sky despite being normal on screen, my friends models was literally aiming up he was shooting forwards but the gunfire was registered by his feet.
another friend blew up every time he shot an RPG no matter the direction or being out in the open.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Also, why is there no team re-balancing over time or between rounds to account for equal teams? I had to play like this until completion because a clan of 3 people disconnected near the beginning of the match. Are there even any penalties for leaving during a match?

5ZbKwBN.jpg
There's no re-balancing because nobody wants to move from the winning to losing team in the middle of the match.
And no, besides not getting your Match Bonus XP there's 0 penalty of leaving mid-match.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
As someone who has never played nor purchased a COD game and was looking for something different... wow is this game fun. I played the campaign first so I wouldn't get totally annihilated online (spoiler: I still am) and I enjoyed the main game a lot. It was a fun/challenging albeit brief campaign. I have been having a riot trying to figure out the nuances online, and I am sure I am no doubt pissing off more veteran players. All in all, very happy with my purchase and I am 100% getting my money's worth.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Black Ops 4 is still very playable, and it's a nice game to play if you want to relax and run around a bit. Really feels like a definitive 'arena shooter' CoD for me. Also much easier to do well in imo, I played a few games today and got multiple helicopters every time

Also, the AK destroys once you start getting ads and movement speed boosting attachments. Quickly becoming my favorite assault rifle. Feels so nice to drop people at range when they're trying to blast you with an M4. This gunplay has me hooked

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
Has the cutscene stutter been patched yet? Really been wanting to hop into the campaign, but the stutter is marking it horrid.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Woof - been snake bitten with the nuke so far

Just had my second 29 gun streak, this one ended because the time ran out. I've had so many 25-29 streaks, lmfao

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, is there anyway to skip the animation when respawning when you're chambering a round? It makes matches like domination in shoothouse a nightmare because i cant fucking fire immediately.

Edit: specifically, I'm using the first LMG and it takes like 1-2 seconds to get through the damn animation.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Ok, is there anyway to skip the animation when respawning when you're chambering a round? It makes matches like domination in shoothouse a nightmare because i cant fucking fire immediately.

Edit: specifically, I'm using the first LMG and it takes like 1-2 seconds to get through the damn animation.
Pretty sure if you switch weapons twice it'll skip the anim, although that takes a long time too depending on the weapon.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Finally put time into the campaign. It's stunning looking on PC with full RTX. Several missions in so far playing on 'Realistic' diff. and its been one of the easiest CoD campaigns though. That's fine really, the missions are well constructed and devised. A bit more going on than linear corridor shooting.

I'm also playing WWII thanks to the Humble deal last month and I also have been really enjoying that one. It got a bad rap when it came out I'd argue. Reviews called it boring and not worth the play. Meanwhile, I am loving the return of medkits and the missions feel reminiscent of CoD1/2. I would have enjoyed it back then had I ignored reviews and podcast chatter downplaying it.

After not being very impressed with Ghosts and Advanced Warfare(they were 'ok' at best), and BLOPS 3/4 practically non-existant. These two have felt like a nice return to form. Infinite Warfare was good as well.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bi4yzD1.jpg

Proof I'm never grinding for shit again I'm buying the cosmetic weapons out right in the store I don't care how much they cost charge 49.99$ for one gun Activision I don't give a shit
grinding for the Steel Curtain AK & Urban Defiler X16
was probably one of the worst gaming experiences ever for me
I'm going to give the game a break for a month now

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Bi4yzD1.jpg

Proof I'm never grinding for shit again I'm buying the cosmetic weapons out right in the store I don't care how much they cost charge 49.99$ for one gun Activision I don't give a shit
Sounds like you didn't enjoy that experience. So why did you do it?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Bi4yzD1.jpg

There's gotta be a name for a condition like this. Masochism?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I'm not doing this to myself anymore. This is a badly designed game that rewards a shitty and toxic meta that is not fun to play so why am I playing it? And the devs are clearly being massively pig headed about it which doesn't help matters. I will gladly just take a break from shooters all the way until Halo in December then very likely leave this tragedy of a game behind.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Was also thinking of just dropping the game until season 1 starts, but yeah, it's incredibly likely Halo Reach will pull me completely away from this and I'll never touch it again, so I might as well stick with it for a couple of weeks more. I might check what's up when s1 actually starts, but unless they've added new fun (small) maps and/or new, more casual game modes (infection, for example), I doubt I'll be back for real.

What a strange CoD release it has been. It's the most annoying, frustrating, infuriatingly stupid CoD in years, but it's also the one I've probably put the most hours into in years too. I think it's the modern setting, had gotten way too sick of futuristic or historical stuff.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm still plugging away multiple hours a day. I'm at nearly 100 hours total so far. As of right now there is no other game I want to play more than this, and it's going to be months before another game comes out that I'm really interested in. So I hope they keep making fixes and improvements leading up to the Battle Pass and first season.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I just still can't believe they have said nothing about SBMM. Everywhere you go, it's one of the most talked about topics and yet if you looked at what IW has said, you'd think it was never mentioned.

The IW of Infinite Warfare would have addressed this shit ASAP but this year they're just not.

I wonder if there was a change in leadership that would explain it.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I just still can't believe they have said nothing about SBMM. Everywhere you go, it's one of the most talked about topics and yet if you looked at what IW has said, you'd think it was never mentioned.

The IW of Infinite Warfare would have addressed this shit ASAP but this year they're just not.

I wonder if there was a change in leadership that would explain it.

They wont say anything because nobody would believe them even if they did come out and say that SBMM exists or that it doesn't the community has made this topic way too nasty for any dev to talk about it.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Lol I will never understand why people do this to themselves.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
They wont say anything because nobody would believe them even if they did come out and say that SBMM exists or that it doesn't the community has made this topic way too nasty for any dev to talk about it.
This makes no sense? Ignoring a "big" issue because no one would believe you?

Arguably the community made it too nasty because IW ignored it.

I've seen many objective and level headed threads about SBMM being upvoted to the top of the ModernWarfare subreddit for it to stay long enough for the developers to notice, after which the threads and comments get deleted.

No response no acknowledgement, dont give us shit like: the community is ruining this issue.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
There's no re-balancing because nobody wants to move from the winning to losing team in the middle of the match.
And no, besides not getting your Match Bonus XP there's 0 penalty of leaving mid-match.

But the losing team is possibly only losing because there is no rebalancing as the match goes on. I mean, Battlefield 1942, R6: Rogue Spear, and if I recall BF4 swapped players to the other team all the time in order to rebalance the rage quitters. It's one thing to lose a match because you're contributing to fairness, it's another thing to lose because the system doesn't promote fairness.

People who were for SBMM, Do u still agree?

I'm late to the conversation, but what are the arguments against SBMM? At face value, it makes sense but I haven't seen the other side yet.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Beat the campaign last night and enjoyed it, maybe it is just me but I thought the two sibling characters as the main protagonist would have made for a way more interesting story/game.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm late to the conversation, but what are the arguments against SBMM? At face value, it makes sense but I haven't seen the other side yet.
1) "I play this game to relax, I shouldn't have to try so hard every game to do well" <-- this one is kind of silly to me but it's something people genuinely bring up a lot
2) "If I constantly play people right at my skill level I will never get better"
3) The assumption is that matching based on skill is prioritized over matching based on connection quality, which leads to people being put in games with high latency

But without even an acknowledgement of what the matchmaking system in the game is, either generally or specifically how it works, everyone just makes assumptions. To me it seems baffling that IW would not at least just saying something about this system. It almost seems like they are legally bound not to.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bi4yzD1.jpg

Is this the Warriors Code mission? I've been stuck on the 'Win 5 Objective Modes' since the game came out lol...shit either doesn't count when I win or gets reset

I'm still plugging away multiple hours a day. I'm at nearly 100 hours total so far. As of right now there is no other game I want to play more than this, and it's going to be months before another game comes out that I'm really interested in. So I hope they keep making fixes and improvements leading up to the Battle Pass and first season.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm addicted to the game. Can't wait for more patches, fixes, new maps and new guns. This is probably the most I've played COD since BLOPS 2

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I'm not doing this to myself anymore. This is a badly designed game that rewards a shitty and toxic meta that is not fun to play so why am I playing it? And the devs are clearly being massively pig headed about it which doesn't help matters. I will gladly just take a break from shooters all the way until Halo in December then very likely leave this tragedy of a game behind.
I stopped by to see if they had planned patch/update to fix the MP experience with this game, but I gues sit doesn;t sound liek anything has been fixed as of yet.

This is the third game this year that I've wasted money on between this, Division 2 and Anthem...

kriskrosbbk

Oct 28, 2017
Bi4yzD1.jpg

Is it good at least? I am on the 9th requirement doing those 25 killstreak kills now, but I feel you brother.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it good at least? I am on the 9th requirement doing those 25 killstreak kills now, but I feel you brother.
I almost lost my mind doing those killstreaks
Get two kills spawn shield turret get like 1 kill
Get killed rinse & repeat shittyl7
It's basically the same AK with a cool looking grip
It looks cool and make me perform better I guess lol 😂 running Krueger, steel curtain, urban defiler is boss tho can't wait to get the 75rd AK mag for it

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bi4yzD1.jpg

99% of these challenges are a chore and absolutely horrible

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My home net conked out on me for 4-5 days, and I tried playing again today. YUCK! This game is just, trash tier.

I tried using other weapons jus sto I can distance myself from the M4 and 725, and yep, you'll have a worse time.

At this stage, it's clear IW has no intention of fixing footsteps or making the game less camp friendly. I've seen YouTubers state that they have a hunch player counts are drying up since they keep seeing the same people over and over again in matches, and I wouldn't be surprised.

This is the worst Call of Duty MP I have ever played. I'm kinda glad that we get three years before we see another Infinity Ward-developed COD game. I hope the lead devs here aren't the leads then.

I mean, I still go positive and shit, but I just camp and play super slow. I don't want to spend my free time turtling all the friggin' time.

Inane game design coupled with bad spawns, and bad map designs. Not even listing the gun balance issues and tech problems this game has, and it's still terrible. When COD YTers almost all universally agree that the game is crap, you know something's up. You got Ace and the other YTers outright stating they can't play the regular modes since it's just not fun, and well, you got a problem.

I know, I know, these are all stuff everyone here has said before. Just couldn't believe how cringe worthy the gameplay is after not playing for four days. I thought I'd love it more, but nope. Just exposed me to how terrible the game is. LOL!

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
1) "I play this game to relax, I shouldn't have to try so hard every game to do well" <-- this one is kind of silly to me but it's something people genuinely bring up a lot
2) "If I constantly play people right at my skill level I will never get better"
3) The assumption is that matching based on skill is prioritized over matching based on connection quality, which leads to people being put in games with high latency

But without even an acknowledgement of what the matchmaking system in the game is, either generally or specifically how it works, everyone just makes assumptions. To me it seems baffling that IW would not at least just saying something about this system. It almost seems like they are legally bound not to.

Thanks for sharing. I feel like each of those points can easily be countered in favor of SBMM, but I get what you're saying about the radio silence from IW.

1. Then you'll be in the same group of people that like to similarly relax. If you're putting in 5 hours a week in this game, your skill level will reflect that and you'll play against those who want to relax as well.

2. Isn't the whole other side of the coin for SBMM is to emerge from the competition? If you're doing well against your skill level peers, you'll be advanced to another tier and play against those that reflect your new skill level. Unless people arguing this point are that they keep doing so well that every game they dominate and they no longer have any competition even after playing against the best players?

3. If that's the case, why can't there be stratification? That is, first group people by ping, and then by skill level. Also, is connection quality that big of a deal? Every match I've played has everyone with pings in the 20-60 range anyway. 80-100 at most, which still doesn't matter. I remember playing Rogue Spear at like 400+ over dial up and it was never an issue.

Bi4yzD1.jpg

Is this related to challenges or a battle pass or something? What's the use of/reward for doing something like this? Cosmetics?

Last edited:

Hoodbury

Oct 27, 2017
Well that explains that, thanks!!
I can confirm SnD was the only mode that advanced that step for me as well. I only tried the gun for half a match so far but I had a rough time with it. It shoots so sporadic that I couldn't win any medium to long distance gun fights. The M4 just shoots too straight and fast compared to it. I'll give it another go at some point but at this point I'd rather use the M4 for try harding or the Odin if I want a slower shooting/hard hitting AR.

Maybe I just need to level up the AK a bit and change up some of the attachments?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I like Ground War but it just makes me thirstier for a new modern Battlefield. When you scale CoD up to Battlefield, the cracks and missing features start to show.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
Is this the Warriors Code mission? I've been stuck on the 'Win 5 Objective Modes' since the game came out lol...shit either doesn't count when I win or gets reset

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm addicted to the game. Can't wait for more patches, fixes, new maps and new guns. This is probably the most I've played COD since BLOPS 2
What exactly did you have to do to unlock the iron curtain mod for the AK?? Thanks

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck this game

Though it does have some good moments, too

The Mk2 is hard as shit to use, but when you DO hit, it's very satisfying

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I decided to try out the juggernaut kill streak yesterday and wow this thing is slow. I'm having a hard time finding kill streaks I like other than the vtol at 8 kills that thing needs to be 11 or 12.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

People dont want to play a "ranked" mode all the time. Sometimes people want to play a casual or quick play mode where they dont constantly have to play against people of their skill level.

People want to try different load outs and not constantly play against people who stick to the M4 and 725 and are trying their hardest to win. Some people just want to goof around with fun load outs or whatever, but feel pressured to constantly try their hardest because when you play against people of your skill level, for many players, that means you are playing against people who are really good.

The idea is that by playing with no SBMM, you are playing with a variety of players-- some who are good as you, some who are better, and some who are not so good.

If they want a ranked mode, make one. If you want to protect the weakest players, have special playlists for them and throw in some bots in those modes too.

But dont punish the average or medium skilled player or high skilled player by putting them in lobbies with people of their own skill, because then those games get super exhausting to play as you're constantly forced to do your best.

Personally, Id like them to widen the SBMM a lot more, but keep the weakest players away from the top tier players. Id also like a proper ranked mode for people who do want to test their skill level, and Id like a specialized playlist for new/bad players who can get to grips with the game.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with widening the sbmm range. I love a good, competitive match but it feels too strict right now. There's a difference between playing to win and playing for fun, and as you get into higher lobbies it becomes too frustrating to just play for fun. There's too many cheap weapons, equipment items, perks, and killstreaks that make it hard to compete if you're not using them. Trying to level up a lvl 1 Uzi is zero fun when everyone else in the lobby is locking down areas with M4's, 725's, claymores, etc as they camp their way to nonstop v-tols. Experimenting with different guns and class setups is just a pain in these kinds of lobbies, which is a shame since I like switching up my classes to try weird set ups. It'd be better to just have League Play in the game. League Play can combine the joys of sbmm with a restriction on items that the community feels are OP. League Play in BLOPS4 did a solid job of removing a lot of the unfair items, and I can easily see the same happening in MW if it was implemented