• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing all the complaints about having to play tactically is just depressing and makes me afraid they are gonna cave in and go back to the mindless 3 lane running and gunning BS that made me quit CoD years back. Because having to play tactically is why this is the first CoD I've bought since idk when. The mindless running and gunning and constant dropshotting is why I dropped the series and moved to BF in the first place. This is the first CoD since the original Black Ops where I feel like I have options on how I wanna play. I can run and gun or I can play more tactically and hold buildings or corners and still be able to win
Whereas before it was run n gun or GTFO and that was annoying as fuck because it came down to whoever could dropshot better or whoever had the better gun. Strategy didn't matter at all.

It's nice to have positioning and strategy matter again.
Couldn't agree with you more. I love this evolution. I don't miss the way that it used to be, though I don't think it's drastically different either. There are just enough tweaks to make this game feel more satisfying than a cod game has been in years.

Oct 25, 2017
Patch sounds great. Shame its still crashing my 1X. Getting tired of it. Think I will put it aside until an actual patch to fix it arrives.
It just feels at this point there may be no hope for that fix.

I've 'only' had one shutdown since launch (earlier this week), but this shit needs to get fixed.
Do console shutdowns count as 'extenuating circumstances'?
Surely, Microsoft (and/or Sony) must allow for digital refunds if the product is proven to be 'severely' defective(?)

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Couldn't agree with you more. I love this evolution. I don't miss the way that it used to be, though I don't think it's drastically different either. There are just enough tweaks to make this game feel more satisfying than a cod game has been in years.
I think you quoted the wrong person or misunderstood me. I love the game as it sits right now outside of spawn issues and the TTD. I am arguing AGAINST goimg back to the running and gunning garbage from the last dozen or so entries.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all the complaints about having to play tactically is just depressing and makes me afraid they are gonna cave in and go back to the mindless 3 lane running and gunning BS that made me quit CoD years back. Because having to play tactically is why this is the first CoD I've bought since idk when. The mindless running and gunning and constant dropshotting is why I dropped the series and moved to BF in the first place. This is the first CoD since the original Black Ops where I feel like I have options on how I wanna play. I can run and gun or I can play more tactically and hold buildings or corners and still be able to win
Whereas before it was run n gun or GTFO and that was annoying as fuck because it came down to whoever could dropshot better or whoever had the better gun. Strategy didn't matter at all.

It's nice to have positioning and strategy matter again.

But now it's just mindless running with a shotgun that 1 shots from across the street in hipfire, infinite super powerful claymores, a broken counter claymore/explosive perk, no balance in the 2nd perk slot, removal of point streaks as the default, and ridiculously overtuned footsteps that have been tweaked twice and still aren't right. There is nothing tactical about this game. Tactics implies balance and counters. Tactics implies predictability and flow. This game is a hodgepodge of conflicting ideas. And those maps you think are helping by leaving 700 sightlines open through every doorway and window don't work when the gameplay, at its core, is still arcadey wackiness. How can this be tactical when there's no change to corner hopping or dropshotting? When varied team roles are discouraged with the change back to killstreaks? When maps are designed without safe routes out of spawn so that you can trap teams on nearly every map?

This is a game about who can exploit imbalances the best right now. I understand wanting more variety moment to moment than the artificial 3 lane map, SMG twitch warfare that CoD turned into, but whatever MW is right now isn't the answer.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
So what's the best new AR?
I definitely can tell that M4 isnt as good anymore long distance... placebo dunno

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
But now it's just mindless running with a shotgun that 1 shots from across the street in hipfire, infinite super powerful claymores, a broken counter claymore/explosive perk, no balance in the 2nd perk slot, removal of point streaks as the default, and ridiculously overtuned footsteps that have been tweaked twice and still aren't right. There is nothing tactical about this game. Tactics implies balance and counters. Tactics implies predictability and flow. This game is a hodgepodge of conflicting ideas. And those maps you think are helping by leaving 700 sightlines open through every doorway and window don't work when the gameplay, at its core, is still arcadey wackiness. How can this be tactical when there's no change to corner hopping or dropshotting? When varied team roles are discouraged with the change back to killstreaks? When maps are designed without safe routes out of spawn so that you can trap teams on nearly every map?

This is a game about who can exploit imbalances the best right now. I understand wanting more variety moments to moment than the artificial 3 lane map, SMG twitch warfare that CoD turned into, but whatever MW is right now isn't the answer.
I never said it was perfect. There is still balancing that needs to be done on a variety of guns, perks, and gadgets. I'm just saying that I would take this over more recent entries in a heartbeat. It's the first time I've enjoyed CoD in years.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

This is a game about who can exploit imbalances the best right now. I understand wanting more variety moment to moment than the artificial 3 lane map, SMG twitch warfare that CoD turned into, but whatever MW is right now isn't the answer.

Atleast there's always Spec Ops for your tactical needs.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played for a few hours and I can say that this patch really didn't improve much at all. Still the same issues with footsteps, the same weapons being OP, claymore still being broken and flak jacket doesn't even work at all times on 'em, still killstreak spam and camping is the prevalent strategy... even on a supposedly different map like Shoot House that's what people do, hide in the path above or behind one of the walls you can headglitch and bam. I had decent hopes for this patch but nothing really changed. I think I'll stop with the game for a while, hopefully in some weeks the game is in a better shape than now.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Atleast there's always Spec Ops for your tactical needs.

Spec Ops is low key one of the worst things in videogames this year and is only not getting any traction as such because the M4/725/Claymore hotzone that is PvP is hogging the spotlight.

One day we'll all have a long hard look at MW's Spec Ops mode and collectively scream "WHY?!"

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Surely the spec ops mode is just...unfinished, right? Like they had to release something for it at launch and just said fuck it? A patch that will turn it into the spec ops of MW2 we know and love has to be in the pipeline any day now, right? Right???

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, I'm still taking absolutely absurd damage from the 725.

e: picked someone's up - I'm also still dealing absurd damage with this thing

Last edited:

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow shoot house is AMAZING on domination! Non stop run and gunning :)

cant believe how much I'm enjoying this game

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I don't think people are either camping or rushing, they are doing both depending on the circumstances. I'll take the current build any day over the mindless run and gun.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I usually don't bitch about maps, but Shoot House is cancer. So f'ng small. Spawn, die, spawn, die, repeat.

No thanks.

Jul 26, 2018
the new small map.. played it last night and it was a nightmare.

Decided to practice with veteran bots. That plus the map.. omg what a mistake I've made.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I strongly agree. I won't even listen someone who say that MW is tactical to be honest.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Post-patch impressions:
- I don't have the feeling the game plays differently. Everybody still has the same weapons and I can't notice much difference. I guess it's s start though. The changes on paper are nice.
- Hardpoint is fun.
- Farm map for ground war seems ok. But I don't really like the mode.
- New 6v6 map is ok,,. It can be fun but it it's quite... weird and a clusterfuck. Which is a bummer since the game really needs more good 6v6 / 10v10 maps.
- Sad NVG is gone and realism hasn't come back...

I would have prefered if the developers put their resources into a good amount of 6v6 and 10v10 maps. Ground war is such a waste of resources imo.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
And i see no problem with that. The point of balance is not to take what is currently the strongest and make it the worst. The point is to take what is overpowered and bring it more in line with the rest of the game and it's very hard to nail that on the first try. So yeah it's probably gonna take a few more tweaks before the 725 and the M4 are where they need to be.

I would take small incremental tweaks over hamfisted nerfbat nonsense any day of the week. Small incremental changes actually put things where they need to be. The hamfisted nerfbat way of doing things just breaks things and that doesn't help anyone.
You'll take the same status quo over the meta changing and seeing variety? Haha okay.

Balancing the weapons is not hard so don't give me that nonsense. Other games do it, this game is no different.

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
Noob tubes within 1 second on Picadilly.

Just became officially the worst map on a Call of Duty Game ever.

Took some doing too! But well done, a HUGE round of applause of Picadilly!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You'll take the same status quo over the meta changing and seeing variety? Haha okay.

Balancing the weapons is not hard so don't give me that nonsense. Other games do it, this game is no different.
Except it's not the same. Changes have been made. It might not be as drastic as people were expecting, but they were made. Yeah and most other games "balance" stuff by completely breaking it instead of actually balancing it. And obviously this game IS different because they are choosing to do small incremental changes instead of sweeping number changes like other games tend to do.

its the first major patch since launch. It's not the end of the world. More changes will be coming. Have some patience.

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, there are a ton of combinations of parts for these weapons and ammunition changing ROF, damage, range, etc. all make this more complex than just changing a few variables and calling it a day. Overcorrection is a real issue too, since that kills player enthusiasm.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Except it's not the same. Changes have been made. It might not be as drastic as people were expecting, but they were made. Yeah and most other games "balance" stuff by completely breaking it instead of actually balancing it. And obviously this game IS different because they are choosing to do small incremental changes instead of sweeping number changes like other games tend to do.

its the first major patch since launch. It's not the end of the world. More changes will be coming. Have some patience.

More changes, more maps. More sweet COD goodness.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017

Name these "many" games that break weapons since it's so terrible to nerf one weapon into oblivion.

I don't need to have any patience. It's on the team to figure it out before they lose all momentum and people fall back to better shooters. I'm not worried one bit about this game's state.
To be fair, there are a ton of combinations of parts for these weapons and ammunition changing ROF, damage, range, etc. all make this more complex than just changing a few variables and calling it a day. Overcorrection is a real issue too, since that kills player enthusiasm.
Changing ROF, damage, recoil, and range for 2 weapons that were identified as problems is not that complex 😂

The only ammunition that has been the favorite for M4 users is the 5.56. And overall, nerfing base gun stats will not mean they need to adjust attachment combos as well (unless the attachment is the problem in which case they can adjust it).

I would looove to see some concrete evidence of the downsides from developers overdoing a Nerf to a weapon, though. Never seen a poor response to a nerf where it kills enthusiasm or any other effects you guys are saying. I've never seen any of this.

Seriously, if they were to even remove the M4 from the game, I guarantee you the game will still play just fine and people will get over it when they realize the Kilo is a runner up.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice. Stats are tracked on your custom modifications if you save them to the armory. As long as the weapon name doesn't change, you can modify the weapon and the stats will still track.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, I got an evening of okay games out of the new map but now I feel like I'm done again.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeahh getting back into my modern warfare flow... had some great games.

The game is more tactical than what cod had started to become. That's it. If someone is camping flush them out. Check your corners. Etc

Also I don't think everyone gets the claymore nerf. It's basically perfect: you cant die from it if you shoot it. If you behind it then no damage, next to it you will end up with low health but wont die.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say again, I still don't like this game, but I do think the gunsmith is excellent and I hope it's in all COD's going forward.

I unlocked a smoke grenade for my gun, which is great as I don't need smoke in one of my classes.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Will people see the name of my gun after I save a custom mod?

EDIT: Also, new map is fine. Reminds me a little of Firing Range, albeit nowhere near as good.

Last edited:

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Game doesn't feel any different comparing before and after patch. Guess we see what happens next. Meanwhile that new map is pure fire. Really fun.

Oct 27, 2017
The last couple of sessions I've started to get the feel for it so I'm enjoying multiplayer more. Still need to tackle the campaign at some point.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Played KC on Shoot House and died five times in a row because I spawned basically in the center of the map. The other team can look directly into the Spawn.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
took a break with gun fight and I forgot how fun it is

was always antsy for full game during beta but gunfight is tons of fun

Straight up feels like a chess game sometimes and it's competitive nature is fantastic

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't snipe at all during the beta so I was completely unprepared for the increase in speed today lol

Edit: And for some reason the Mission I selected keeps resetting so none of those sniper kills count, for fucks sake IW. Why do I have to select it after every match?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeahh getting back into my modern warfare flow... had some great games.

The game is more tactical than what cod had started to become. That's it. If someone is camping flush them out. Check your corners. Etc

Also I don't think everyone gets the claymore nerf. It's basically perfect: you cant die from it if you shoot it. If you behind it then no damage, next to it you will end up with low health but wont die.
Yeah I agree. The game being more tactical is a good thing. I don't get the complaints about "camping". Rarely do I come across someone who is truly just camping in a corner. More often than not its just someone protecting a building or a choke point.

Just check your corners and use your tacticals. It's not rocket science. If you go charging around a corner willy nilly and die then that's on you. That's not on the game or the other player.