• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy being high 40s and ending up in a lobby full of 140-150s.
Had to back out, ain't got time for that nonsense.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
lol "real" loadouts, but then proceeds to play one map. 24/7.

I rather waste my time doing the variety of challenges and variety of maps and modes.

Going for the camo's and calling cards and even those nice little trinkets.

Sure boohoo my k/d though with my not so real loadouts.

I wanted to play with an SMG which I hadn't done much and I hadn't played Shoot House that much so it seemed like a good fit? I played other maps before and after (which you can see some of). And my entire point is that the strict SBMM makes experimenting with different or less ideal setups more difficult. Also if you'd actually read any of my posts you'd see that ALL I've been doing is going for challenges and camos, and that I was getting frustrated going grossly negative trying to get awful card challenges done so I wanted to see if playing to win and not just for challenges made any difference, which I did. There's a difference between trying to K/D whore and getting completely railed 3-15 for hours on end like I'd been.

But sure, be a dismissive ass for no reason on someone who's been struggling to go positive or find any balance with the game.

Oct 25, 2017
The game has grown on me a bit over time. If they could let me cut out a few maps I could see myself enjoying this more consistently. If they add some good maps, even better. My friends have mostly quit though lol... they are waiting on the BR mode. Dunno why they fucking love BR so much. They play Apex like every day now.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
I wanted to play with an SMG which I hadn't done much and I hadn't played Shoot House that much so it seemed like a good fit? I played other maps before and after (which you can see some of). And my entire point is that the strict SBMM makes experimenting with different or less ideal setups more difficult. Also if you'd actually read any of my posts you'd see that ALL I've been doing is going for challenges and camos, and that I was getting frustrated going grossly negative trying to get awful card challenges done so I wanted to see if playing to win and not just for challenges made any difference, which I did. There's a difference between trying to K/D whore and getting completely railed 3-15 for hours on end like I'd been.

But sure, be a dismissive ass for no reason on someone who's been struggling to go positive or find any balance with the game.
Yeah my bad I haven't seen your previous posts lol.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my bad I haven't seen your previous posts lol.

Fair enough! I'm just kind of salty after watching my K/D go from 1.15 to 0.93 because I'm going hilariously negative getting sniper rifle kills (I'm TERRIBLE at sniping, Shield Turret kills, etc). My only point with my post was to see "Am I actually THIS bad, or is it this at least partially me just doing stupid shit for the last 40 hours for gun leveling and challenges" and it seems like it's at least partially that lol. Even run and gunning on the bigger maps with the MP7 right now I'm at least breaking even most of the time.

I still gladly welcome any sort of advice for attachments on the SCAR, that's been the main gun I've been using for like 30 of the last 50 hours and it's a goddamn struggle. I want it to be good, but it is probably single-handedly like 75% responsible for why I'm doing so badly. I rocked it in previous entries and I'm generally an AR over SMG person, but I just cannot do jackshit with it here. Running it with the no-stock makes it a decent run and gun, but on any of the bigger maps (which are most of them) it sucks at range and I get ripped.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
The game has grown on me a bit over time. If they could let me cut out a few maps I could see myself enjoying this more consistently. If they add some good maps, even better. My friends have mostly quit though lol... they are waiting on the BR mode. Dunno why they fucking love BR so much. They play Apex like every day now.

I don't love all the maps and there are too many points you can get jumped or sniped, but the thing that gets to me is that the game will put you into the same map over and over. Played Picadilly? Well looks like you'll play that map 4/6 times. It's so weird.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I just played a terrible match, but I think Rammaza or whatever is easily the worst map in the game. Zero flow whatsoever.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Fair enough! I'm just kind of salty after watching my K/D go from 1.15 to 0.93 because I'm going hilariously negative getting sniper rifle kills (I'm TERRIBLE at sniping, Shield Turret kills, etc). My only point with my post was to see "Am I actually THIS bad, or is it this at least partially me just doing stupid shit for the last 40 hours for gun leveling and challenges" and it seems like it's at least partially that lol. Even run and gunning on the bigger maps with the MP7 right now I'm at least breaking even most of the time.

I still gladly welcome any sort of advice for attachments on the SCAR, that's been the main gun I've been using for like 30 of the last 50 hours and it's a goddamn struggle. I want it to be good, but it is probably single-handedly like 75% responsible for why I'm doing so badly. I rocked it in previous entries and I'm generally an AR over SMG person, but I just cannot do jackshit with it here. Running it with the no-stock makes it a decent run and gun, but on any of the bigger maps (which are most of them) it sucks at range and I get ripped.
Well the meta AR's seemingly are M4 first and AK second. I never could stand the AK myself. Kilo should be decent. The Scar is actually terrible tbh. I am now going for the FR5.56 AR which I believe is the Type95 from Mw3. It's three short bursts.

Sorry I can't tell you what Scar attachments would make it competitive enough. I wish to know that myself tbh. I truly wish the Scar had a bigger ammo clip and much better fire rate or velocity.

Trimble

Nov 26, 2017
Well f*ck, this update broke the game for me.

I'm stuck in an infinite loop of "Update requires restart" -> "Update completed successfully" -> "Update requires restart". Can barely find anything about this problem online. PS4

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Was the patch only for consoles? I got nothing on PC and I really need it lol, I haven't been able to successfully start the game once since the last patch.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Well the meta AR's seemingly are M4 first and AK second. I never could stand the AK myself. Kilo should be decent. The Scar is actually terrible tbh. I am now going for the FR5.56 AR which I believe is the Type95 from Mw3. It's three short bursts.

Sorry I can't tell you what Scar attachments would make it competitive enough. I wish to know that myself tbh. I truly wish the Scar had a bigger ammo clip and much better fire rate or velocity.

Yeah, I'm getting killed mostly by Gold M4s and Gold AK's at this point; 725s still abound but not nearly as bad as before IMO.

The problem with the SCAR IMO is that it hits like a truck, but the recoil on it is significant and it's clip is way too small. Any adjustments to the recoil make it realllllllly slow, and any attachments that increase mobility make the recoil even worse. It's very annoying.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
I was just in a lobby where a dude using the PP19 Bizon just completely DESTROYED our entire team. Like he was straight up styling on us the entire match John Wick style. I literally did not even know this gun existed and I have never once ever seen anyone using it. I'm not sure if this guy was just a complete God or people are sleeping on this thing?

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
I was just in a lobby where a dude using the PP19 Bizon just completely DESTROYED our entire team. Like he was straight up styling on us the entire match John Wick style. I literally did not even know this gun existed and I have never once ever seen anyone using it. I'm not sure if this guy was just a complete God or people are sleeping on this thing?

Im not buying a nextgen console if mulitplayer will be sweaty as this lmao

Its Time to join Nintendo :D

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Im not buying a nextgen console if mulitplayer will be sweaty as this lmao

Its Time to join Nintendo :D

I mean I guess by not having competent online Nintendo wins by default there? lol

Also I know this isn't super impressive or anything but God I needed this match:

EJyQSIsWkAAFAQl

I've been forcing myself to play slower, and I'm running Hardline now instead of Ghost, and I was even using the SCAR this game. I also got two VTOLs this match, and I haven't gotten a VTOL in like a goddamn week, and the last one got them off of the B point right at the very end and probably kept us from losing. I'm slowly trying to re-orient my brain for this game and it's kind of working, but man most of the maps just suck.

The phrasing is kind of odd, but she's saying that today's update was a client side update, and what we're getting later this week is the usual title update you have to download. I'm curious what they do with Perks; there's some major rebalancing and slot movement they need to do IMO, but I don't really see them doing that, so I'm surprised to see them even touching on them at all unless one of them is just outright broken or not working as intended?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that wants to know how much the 725 was nerfed. Video is only 2 min long.

Wow that's a pretty massive nerf. Finally.

The phrasing is kind of odd, but she's saying that today's update was a client side update, and what we're getting later this week is the usual title update you have to download. I'm curious what they do with Perks; there's some major rebalancing and slot movement they need to do IMO, but I don't really see them doing that, so I'm surprised to see them even touching on them at all unless one of them is just outright broken or not working as intended?

They intend to add DLC perks so I hope that means they intend to tweak perks too. Not sure which ones need outright fixing, but many of them need buffs and feel underwhelming.

Pointman offers you nothing for Hardpoint and HQ modes. They need to raise the value of Pointman.

Battle Hardened needs to counter stuns and flashes a lot better, and the overall stuns/flashes need to be toned down too as they are far too crippling.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
This forced SBMM bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

I occasionally have games where I go +2 or +3, and have slowly but surely been able to get my K/D up to 1.07. I was proud of that, the third or fourth highest on my friends' list of 50+ people playing this game. Which, by the way, is fucking embarrassing.

I finally string a game together tonight where I went 20-10 in a Kill Confirmed. Hell yeah, let's go. What happens next?

6-13, 4-15, 4-7. It's not like I forgot to play the game. The game just decided to say "Fuck you" and put me up against a bunch of people that just completely fuck me up. It's demoralizing, it's pitiful, and I 100% just do not understand what the point of it is. I'm a good Call of Duty player. In Call of Duty 2, MW, WAW, MW2, Black Ops, MW3, BO3, BO4, my K/D always hovers between 1.4 and 1.6. My Win/Loss is always at a 1.5+. I'm not next level great, but I know what I'm doing and so far this game just doesn't allow that.

In past Call of Duty games, you were encouraged to get better. When you play against a random group of people every game, you'll have good games and bad games, but either way there was a variety to what was going on. You had the ability to get better over time as you tried different guns and different perk load-outs. You could settle into a class and have fun with it and either do well or do badly, but either way there was maneuverability to try different things out. You could not only tell you were getting better based on your game-to-game results and feedback, but you could look at your stats and see improvement. Gradually, you could improve your Win/Loss from a 1.06 to a 1.07, your K/D from a 1.11 to a 1.12. Over the span of a great night, you could increase your kills/death split by +50 or more and widen that gap as time goes on.

In this game? You can't do that. You basically find one gun/load-out that works for you and if you try to experiment, you're fucked. You're in a pool of players around your same skill level, so if you experiment, you're doomed with several games of just completely getting destroyed as you get used to what you're doing. Have a game where you went +8? Must be a fluke, you'll stay in the same level of play. Have two games in a row where you went +5? Guess it's time to put you in with that next tier of skill, hope you have fun going -13 to make up for what you just accomplished. Congratulations!

Because you're always going against people at your same skill level, there is no incentive to get better. No incentive to go off and have a great game. Because the reward isn't long-term fun, it's bullshit like putting you up against a bunch of MLG/pro-wannabes who just completely shit on you. And even if you're somehow good enough to continue to climb to that next level and do okay, that's where the limit is. It's just okay. I have literally one friend out of 50 who has a K/D over 1.10. One. And he's in Ground War constantly sniping in the back or sitting in a tank. That shouldn't be the only viable strategy to have good statistics in the game.

Bing reward money got this down to about $20 for me and if that didn't happen I'd be pretty upset with the state of this game. What was wrong with what they did before? Why not have random groupings of games, and if they really wanted to go SBMM, have ranked playlists outside of the standard leveling? Like literally every other competitive game in existence. The benefits of mulitple studios working on Call of Duty games shouldn't just be limited to yearly releases, ideas and systems should be passed on and shared. Black Ops 3/4 had faults, but their multiplayer was consistently fun. It consistently worked. It offered the circuits for those higher-level competitors and didn't force you to constantly go against people at your level or above.

Not a fan of the direction this game has taken.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
This forced SBMM bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

I occasionally have games where I go +2 or +3, and have slowly but surely been able to get my K/D up to 1.07. I was proud of that, the third or fourth highest on my friends' list of 50+ people playing this game. Which, by the way, is fucking embarrassing.

I finally string a game together tonight where I went 20-10 in a Kill Confirmed. Hell yeah, let's go. What happens next?

6-13, 4-15, 4-7. It's not like I forgot to play the game. The game just decided to say "Fuck you" and put me up against a bunch of people that just completely fuck me up. It's demoralizing, it's pitiful, and I 100% just do not understand what the point of it is. I'm a good Call of Duty player. In Call of Duty 2, MW, WAW, MW2, Black Ops, MW3, BO3, BO4, my K/D always hovers between 1.4 and 1.6. My Win/Loss is always at a 1.5+. I'm not next level great, but I know what I'm doing and so far this game just doesn't allow that.

In past Call of Duty games, you were encouraged to get better. When you play against a random group of people every game, you'll have good games and bad games, but either way there was a variety to what was going on. You had the ability to get better over time as you tried different guns and different perk load-outs. You could settle into a class and have fun with it and either do well or do badly, but either way there was maneuverability to try different things out. You could not only tell you were getting better based on your game-to-game results and feedback, but you could look at your stats and see improvement. Gradually, you could improve your Win/Loss from a 1.06 to a 1.07, your K/D from a 1.11 to a 1.12. Over the span of a great night, you could increase your kills/death split by +50 or more and widen that gap as time goes on.

In this game? You can't do that. You basically find one gun/load-out that works for you and if you try to experiment, you're fucked. You're in a pool of players around your same skill level, so if you experiment, you're doomed with several games of just completely getting destroyed as you get used to what you're doing. Have a game where you went +8? Must be a fluke, you'll stay in the same level of play. Have two games in a row where you went +5? Guess it's time to put you in with that next tier of skill, hope you have fun going -13 to make up for what you just accomplished. Congratulations!

Because you're always going against people at your same skill level, there is no incentive to get better. No incentive to go off and have a great game. Because the reward isn't long-term fun, it's bullshit like putting you up against a bunch of MLG/pro-wannabes who just completely shit on you. And even if you're somehow good enough to continue to climb to that next level and do okay, that's where the limit is. It's just okay. I have literally one friend out of 50 who has a K/D over 1.10. One. And he's in Ground War constantly sniping in the back or sitting in a tank. That shouldn't be the only viable strategy to have good statistics in the game.

Bing reward money got this down to about $20 for me and if that didn't happen I'd be pretty upset with the state of this game. What was wrong with what they did before? Why not have random groupings of games, and if they really wanted to go SBMM, have ranked playlists outside of the standard leveling? Like literally every other competitive game in existence. The benefits of mulitple studios working on Call of Duty games shouldn't just be limited to yearly releases, ideas and systems should be passed on and shared. Black Ops 3/4 had faults, but their multiplayer was consistently fun. It consistently worked. It offered the circuits for those higher-level competitors and didn't force you to constantly go against people at your level or above.

Not a fan of the direction this game has taken.
People on here defend SBMM.

The game should have a Ranked mode for competitive players. Leave the public modes to be casual quick play modes.

Protect noobs by having boot camp playlists or mix in bots like Fortnite does.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhh

WTF

Like, I'm legit having a good to great time with the MP.
Most of the time I played hardpoint but also dabbled in TDM and actually landed first place.

My takeways:

- maps are designed to punish sprinters... Whether you're okay with this is up to you. I for one, legit dig it.

- I find that I *gasp* actually can apply more methodical and anticipatory tactics and hold my own.

- gunplay is... Well, it's REAALL good. They nailed the weapons/feedback in this.

- sound design and visuals are stellar

So yeah, even tho I got it for free with my PS4 Pro, I'm into it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know. I thought changing my SCAR to be primarily about fast ADS speed would make it worse because the recoil can be kind of strong but man... I started doing waaaay better the moment I swapped over to fast ADS.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
You know. I thought changing my SCAR to be primarily about fast ADS speed would make it worse because the recoil can be kind of strong but man... I started doing waaaay better the moment I swapped over to fast ADS.

The ADS can be very slow in this game, and getting your target lined up on that red dot faster than they do you is the difference usually.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly im discovering that to be the case with almost every weapon I have used.
AK seems like it would be garbage without recoil and stability but I was doing better with it with literally all fast stuff than pre-nerf M4.
no sight, removed stock, default or short barrel, laser 2 and a foregrip.

same case for the SCAR, SA-82, etc.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Played a few rounds today after not having time for a few days. Felt good using the Kilo and getting a 3.0 KD in my first game (my KD isn't great, so this game felt great). It was also nice to see only one 725 throughout 4 matches, so at least in a small sample, the nerfs maybe forced people to try new things.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Honestly im discovering that to be the case with almost every weapon I have used.
AK seems like it would be garbage without recoil and stability but I was doing better with it with literally all fast stuff than pre-nerf M4.
no sight, removed stock, default or short barrel, laser 2 and a foregrip.

same case for the SCAR, SA-82, etc.
I hate this. ADS and sprintout time have always mattered in COD but this is probably the first COD where ADS time is typically longer than TTK, especially when headshots are involved. This is also one of the reasons hipfired shotguns are so dominant.

Also, if you want to rush, you have to optimize for ADS time, which means you can't use most of the attachments in the game.

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Was the patch only for consoles? I got nothing on PC and I really need it lol, I haven't been able to successfully start the game once since the last patch.
It's not a "patch" but a hotfix (server-side).

Sigh. Someone should educate her and tell her that a "patch" usualy (like 9/10) means an actual download, while a server-side hotfix is usually addressed as that -- server-side hotfix. I don't think I've seen a server-side update be referred to as a patch.

Uhhhh

WTF

Like, I'm legit having a good to great time with the MP.
Most of the time I played hardpoint but also dabbled in TDM and actually landed first place.

My takeways:

- maps are designed to punish sprinters... Whether you're okay with this is up to you. I for one, legit dig it.

- I find that I *gasp* actually can apply more methodical and anticipatory tactics and hold my own.

- gunplay is... Well, it's REAALL good. They nailed the weapons/feedback in this.

- sound design and visuals are stellar

So yeah, even tho I got it for free with my PS4 Pro, I'm into it.

Yeah, spot-on observations, which is what everyone is saying as well.

Thing is, COD has always been about arcade-y, fast gun-fu shit. IW changed that along with a ton of other inane gameplay design decisions that make ZERO sense.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
That is this game's central problem I feel, it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Ground War is an inferior rip off of Battlefield, the 6 v 6 feels like a pretty lame duck attempt to compete with R6: Siege, there's a Battle Royale mode coming apparently because of course there is and the entire single player feels like it couldn't exist without a million other sources to rip from (mostly movies). There is hardly an original idea anywhere in the whole package, and when you combine that with generally poor design decisions like perk categorization, map design and weapon balancing and it really does feel like a rudderless shitshow.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Sigh. Someone should educate her and tell her that a "patch" usualy (like 9/10) means an actual download, while a server-side hotfix is usually addressed as that -- server-side hotfix. I don't think I've seen a server-side update be referred to as a patch.

" Infinity Ward can call it whatever they want mmm kay "

Some twitter User asked her wether its a server side update or a client update. The answer was "in-game patch". I'll let this pass this time :P

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a "patch" but a hotfix (server-side).

Dude, she is a Senior Communications Manager at one of the biggest game studios in the world. I don't think anyone needs to fucking "educate" her. She is giving us the information developers gave her. Also, your explanation is flat out wrong. Of course there is such a thing as a server patch, what are you talking about?

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Dude, she is a Senior Communications Manager at one of the biggest game studios in the world. I don't think anyone needs to fucking "educate" her. She is giving us the information developers gave her. Also, your explanation is flat out wrong. Of course there is such a thing as a server patch, what are you talking about?

Didnt take long.

Edit: imagine calling it a patch and you turn on your console excepting a GB download. Turns out its a Server side hotfix. I know life sucks

Last edited:

excaliburps

MP1ST
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That is this game's central problem I feel, it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Ground War is an inferior rip off of Battlefield, the 6 v 6 feels like a pretty lame duck attempt to compete with R6: Siege, there's a Battle Royale mode coming apparently because of course there is and the entire single player feels like it couldn't exist without a million other sources to rip from (mostly movies). There is hardly an original idea anywhere in the whole package, and when you combine that with generally poor design decisions like perk categorization, map design and weapon balancing and it really does feel like a rudderless shitshow.

Yes, exactly. It's like it wants to be Siege for competitive, Battlefield in scope, but the devs don't know exactly what the game's identity needs to be. Sigh.

" Infinity Ward can call it whatever they want mmm kay "

Some twitter User asked her wether its a server side update or a client update. The answer was "in-game patch". I'll let this pass this time :P

LOL!

Yes, there is a server-side patch (which I said but you chose to ignore), but it's usually conveyed clearly that it IS a server-side patch. That wasn't specific in her tweet, Reddit post, etc. If there's no download needed, it is usually said. Epic does it, Bungie does, DICE does, etc.

The fact that people NEED to ask her if it's a client or server-side patch is proof of this. That's rarely asked since that info is usually given even without patch notes.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
So a woman in a non-technical position called it a patch, no need to be a cunt about it. Twitter message was not completely clear, big fucking whoop, let's be adults about this. I'm sure women in gaming get enough people trying to "educate" them already, so let's not bring that shithead energy here.

--

Work is pissing me off so I thought I'd take a short break and play a couple of games and man, it feels like the game's back to matching me against people exclusively from higher skill brackets. Like I'm actually trying and still having difficulties reaching like 0.5 kdr. I just don't get all these people I'm constantly playing against, they always seem to have perfect aim, superhuman reflexes and absolute clarity on my current position and plan.

But most of all, I fucking hate the super low TTK and the even lower TTD. All the gun fights just feel so incredibly same-y, nothing interesting or cool ever happens. If I wasn't sick of BRs in general, I would've gone back to Apex Legends ages ago (well, I don't like the new map either). Thank god Halo Reach is out soon, at least.

Back to work, but even more pissed off than before. Lol.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
The 725 finally gets properly nerfed, EVERY bastard and his dog immediately dumps it and overkill and my K/D is suddenly back in the positive for the first time since launch. Amazing.

So yeah, you're welcome for putting yet another month of fun on MY tab you fucking assholes.