• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
So a woman in a non-technical position called it a patch, no need to be a cunt about it. Twitter message was not completely clear, big fucking whoop, let's be adults about this. I'm sure women in gaming get enough people trying to "educate" them already, so let's not bring that shithead energy here.

--

Work is pissing me off so I thought I'd take a short break and play a couple of games and man, it feels like the game's back to matching me against people exclusively from higher skill brackets. Like I'm actually trying and still having difficulties reaching like 0.5 kdr. I just don't get all these people I'm constantly playing against, they always seem to have perfect aim, superhuman reflexes and absolute clarity on my current position and plan.

But most of all, I fucking hate the super low TTK and the even lower TTD. All the gun fights just feel so incredibly same-y, nothing interesting or cool ever happens. If I wasn't sick of BRs in general, I would've gone back to Apex Legends ages ago (well, I don't like the new map either). Thank god Halo Reach is out soon, at least.

Back to work, but even more pissed off than before. Lol.

Yea, what the fuck are those replies? I'm not sure woman need more gamers mansplaining shit to them, but hey, not sure what else I would expect out of the call of Duty community

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why some of you get so worked up about your k/d ratio.

I doubt very few of us if any care about the actual kdr itself, it's just a solid, easily understandable and concise way of essentially saying how we're doing. Positive kdr (>1) = doing well, "negative" kdr (<1) = not doing too well, very low kdr = getting dominated, etc. Of course it doesn't tell the whole truth or anything, but everyone knows what kdr means.

Stats don't matter, even winning doesn't matter, but I'm not having fun if I'm getting constantly wrecked like no tomorrow.

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt very few of us if any care about the actual kdr itself, it's just a solid, easily understandable way and concise way of saying how we're doing. Positive kdr (>1) = doing well, "negative" kdr (<1) = not doing too well, very low kdr = getting dominated, etc.

Stats don't matter, even winning doesn't matter, but I'm not having fun if I'm getting constantly wrecked like no tomorrow.

Yeah, this. I normally dont care about it at all in these games, but when its below 1, I know there is something funky going on and the fact that I'm doing shitty more often than I probably should be.

Priester

Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of to and fro off topic in this thread with angst that I've rarely seen elsewhere for some reason :/ Can't we just keep it 'nice' and not personal or judgemental :)

Anyways, on the subject of KD ratio, I think many people associate that one single stat with how their performance is measured in the game, especially how now you can get so many stats on different things. I know I generally do, but I also like to focus on win percentage.

On the subject of remake maps, I hope we get one of the others that we've never had before (sub base for example) sooner, rather than crash again (love crash, but I'd rather something else first).

When do you guys think we can expect the roadmap for upcoming content, would it be too ambitious to think this week?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
That is this game's central problem I feel, it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Ground War is an inferior rip off of Battlefield, the 6 v 6 feels like a pretty lame duck attempt to compete with R6: Siege, there's a Battle Royale mode coming apparently because of course there is and the entire single player feels like it couldn't exist without a million other sources to rip from (mostly movies). There is hardly an original idea anywhere in the whole package, and when you combine that with generally poor design decisions like perk categorization, map design and weapon balancing and it really does feel like a rudderless shitshow.

ground war is definitely a poor mans battlefield

Maybe they'll improve on it next game but its a waste of resources IMO

the 6v6 is redeemable, I dont see the siege comparisons at all. Movement and gunplay is very much COD and the lean is odd but can be used Aggressively

headshot damage should be reducedslightly I think

BR mode is a great addition considering how popular it was in BO4. Im excited for it and it fits well

My only issue is the ground war and the addition of these design philosophies that seem to go too far in a new direction when people wanted something old school

Oct 27, 2017
On the subject of remake maps, I hope we get one of the others that we've never had before (sub base for example) sooner, rather than crash again (love crash, but I'd rather something else first).

Same here, I feel like Crash has been in like every MW since COD4. I always liked Crossfire and District better. Though from MW2, I really wanted to see Favela, Sub Base, Highrise, Quarry, or Invasion. There are so many great maps to choose from from the original MW trilogy, but they seem to love going back to Crash for some reason.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I doubt very few of us if any care about the actual kdr itself, it's just a solid, easily understandable and concise way of essentially saying how we're doing. Positive kdr (>1) = doing well, "negative" kdr (<1) = not doing too well, very low kdr = getting dominated, etc. Of course it doesn't tell the whole truth or anything, but everyone knows what kdr means.

Yeah this. Someone who is single minded when it comes to K/D is aiming for something like 2.5+ overall, whereas someone like me who prefers to focus on the objective, being somewhere inbetween 1.5 and 2.0 is more my wheelhouse, and when it even slips below 1, you know something is up.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why some of you get so worked up about your k/d ratio.

There seems to be still an assumption that doing well with your KDR means you get paired against better players. I mean, I guess no one watched the video which is based less on feels and more on data. Granted, they would never make a KDR based MMR system anyway... that only makes sense for... maybe TDM and TDM alone.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
725 nerf is nice, but it's range is still too far for a shotgun. Needs a little more on that, otherwise, nice.

Yeah there is still some kills that looked really odd last night. Like I was playing on Shoot House and I was in the room with two windows that overlook the Containers and a guy walked into the room (from the stairs near C flag) and killed me and one other guy in two shots (1 kill per shot) all the while being hip fired, and being in the door.

Like it's not the longest distance I've seen but it was just crazy that with hip fire that every single shot hit since I was also exiting out the window when I died so only half my body was visible from their angle.

Priester

Oct 27, 2017
Same here, I feel like Crash has been in like every MW since COD4.

Favela, of course, and I can easily see Invasion fitting right in with the current maps and how they feel.

I actually hope we don't see Terminal again as well, feel like I've played that a million times to be fair, not a bad map, but just so many more that are better to choose from.

Picked up a shotgun the other day, which was a little like the AA-12 from MW2, which one could it be? -... think it was the Origin

Last edited:

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dude, she is a Senior Communications Manager at one of the biggest game studios in the world. I don't think anyone needs to fucking "educate" her. She is giving us the information developers gave her. Also, your explanation is flat out wrong. Of course there is such a thing as a server patch, what are you talking about?

she's not very good at communicating and that's literally her job. Cod devs generally call them hot fixs and have for years. Her using the word patch indicates a new downloadable update which this was not.

Yea, what the fuck are those replies? I'm not sure woman need more gamers mansplaining shit to them, but hey, not sure what else I would expect out of the call of Duty community

her gender has nothing to do with it chill the fuck out. The devs have always called the server side patches hot fixes. Her using the wrong language was confusing because people expected a download.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There seems to be still an assumption that doing well with your KDR means you get paired against better players. I mean, I guess no one watched the video which is based less on feels and more on data. Granted, they would never make a KDR based MMR system anyway... that only makes sense for... maybe TDM and TDM alone.

None of us were saying anything of the sort.

e: well, I didn't and Umbrella Carp didn't, and the post was pretty obviously directed at us since we did talk about kdr

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No news on 1X crash patches yet? They obviously seem focused around playing with the 725 instead of fixing issues.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I only had a crash in the first week.... Never again.
Is your console like from 2017?
Scorpio Launch console. Like clockwork I boot into the game, click MP and within a few seconds it hard resets. Only game I have played that has done this. Not sure if it's a console issues, game issues, insider update issue etc. It's just super frustrating to not know what it is.

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Scorpio Launch console. Like clockwork I boot into the game, click MP and within a few seconds it hard resets. Only game I have played that has done this. Not sure if it's a console issues, game issues, insider update issue etc. It's just super frustrating to not know what it is.

Is still other people having it crash like you?
It doesn't hard reset on SP or Spec Ops? Do you notice an increase of speed on the fans before the crash?

Oct 25, 2017
None of us were saying anything of the sort.

e: well, I didn't and Umbrella Carp didn't, and the post was pretty obviously directed at us since we did talk about kdr

I think people get worked up because of the bias against SBMM. They think they are doing well in KDR therefore the system will try to screw them over to get their KDR to go down. I seen this mentality arise in other games too. Except in this game it is using a metric that the player likely values way more than the matchmaking system ever will. It leads to false conclusions.

I read your post again (it was not directed at anyone in particular). Yes, KDR is a metric people can understand. But I think the reason people care about KDR is because of... how to put this PG... measurement contests surrounding the game community. Like 4kdr means you are better than a 3kdr player? No, not really. But the reason people are getting worked up in this game, I believe is because of the SBMM stuff and the assumption that they are getting screwed over because they performed well.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017

Launch Scorpio as well, can't say i've had a hard reset since the first week or so. My game has crashed here and there still but the system itself no longer reboots, i just get kicked back to dashboard. Have a lot of buddies on 1x as well that had issues week 1 but also seem to be stable.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is still other people having it crash like you?
It doesn't hard reset on SP or Spec Ops? Do you notice an increase of speed on the fans before the crash?
Yeah, I can hear the fans kick in, it hard resets and then after waiting, it pops an error message. No other game I have played has popped up the message. It only seems to be MP. Other stuff works.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Launch Scorpio as well, can't say i've had a hard reset since the first week or so. My game has crashed here and there still but the system itself no longer reboots, i just get kicked back to dashboard. Have a lot of buddies on 1x as well that had issues week 1 but also seem to be stable.
I dunno then. Already uninstalled and reinstalled. Thought it maybe was that. Really don't want to do it again but I might just for testing purposes.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
she's not very good at communicating and that's literally her job. Cod devs generally call them hot fixs and have for years. Her using the word patch indicates a new downloadable update which this was not.

her gender has nothing to do with it chill the fuck out. The devs have always called the server side patches hot fixes. Her using the wrong language was confusing because people expected a download.

It's only confusing to people who think they know what they are talking about but really have a less than zero understanding. AKA gaming enthusiasts. I don't get the mindset of expecting a download, not getting one, and thinking, what exactly? That you're somehow out of date (yet it still lets you online) or is it some gotcha for the devs?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I think people get worked up because of the bias against SBMM. They think they are doing well in KDR therefore the system will try to screw them over to get their KDR to go down. I seen this mentality arise in other games too. Except in this game it is using a metric that the player likely values way more than the matchmaking system ever will. It leads to false conclusions.

I read your post again (it was not directed at anyone in particular). Yes, KDR is a metric people can understand. But I think the reason people care about KDR is because of... how to put this PG... measurement contests surrounding the game community. Like 4kdr means you are better than a 3kdr player? No, not really. But the reason people are getting worked up in this game, I believe is because of the SBMM stuff and the assumption that they are getting screwed over because they performed well.

Okay. I guess there's nothing else to say other than believe what you want to believe. The nebulous people you're talking about aren't really even a part of this community, at least I can't say I remember seeing any sort of kdr dick measuring contests in here - just people using a simple, perspective-giving shorthand for their performance when they're either venting or being giddy about doing good.

But since you're saying "this is why they care about kdr" and I'm saying "they don't really care about their kdr in itself, it's just..." it seems like we're having two different conversations anyway.

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's only confusing to people who think they know what they are talking about but really have a less than zero understanding. AKA gaming enthusiasts. I don't get the mindset of expecting a download, not getting one, and thinking, what exactly? That you're somehow out of date (yet it still lets you online) or is it some gotcha for the devs?

What is your problem man? I'm just pointing out the language the other devs use And why's saying an update was out today is confusing to some people.

If she said a hot fix/server side update people would know what she is talking about. She just said an update lmao.

not everything needs to be defended man. Look at every update post from a treyarch dev over the last year and see what language is used. It's always called a hot fix for server side.

You think the idiots on reddit know the difference they just read update.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Sorry if that's old news

Regarding SBMM Drift0r and Ace worked together to do some testing.

Summary courtesy of charlieintel:

• Call of Duty matchmaking does not prioritize skill over connection for matchmaking – it ensures the best/fastest server is prioritized.
  • High Stat players do not match together
  • Modern Warfare appears to heavily match players with similar player ranks together
  • Modern Warfare appears to match make in some cases players based on their performance in their recent games, not lifetime game stats. XclusiveAce states that some testing shows its based on the last 5 games performance. This means reverse boosting won't change anything in this game in the long run.
  • Based on their testing, there is some hidden MMR system active in Modern Warfare

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I guess there's nothing else to say other than believe what you want to believe. The nebulous people you're talking about aren't really even a part of this community, at least I can't say I remember seeing any sort of kdr dick measuring contests in here - just people using a simple, perspective-giving shorthand for their performance when they're either venting or being giddy about doing good.

But since you're saying "this is why they care about kdr" and I'm saying "they don't really care about their kdr in itself, it's just..." it seems like we're having two different conversations anyway.

Just to clarify by measurement contest I meant the wider COD game community, not this thread.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
What is your problem man? I'm just pointing out the language the other devs use And why's saying an update was out today is confusing to some people.

If she said a hot fix/server side update people would know what she is talking about. She just said an update lmao.

not everything needs to be defended man. Look at every update post from a treyarch dev over the last year and see what language is used. It's always called a hot fix for server side.

You think the idiots on reddit know the difference they just read update.

I just don't think it matters that much. Patch, hotfix, update, just play the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I never thought I'd say this especially about a CoD game but I genuinely want a single-player DLC continuation, I really can't wait 3-4 years for a sequel.
I want this too. The campaign was fantastic. I still wish that Activision would do an orange Box and put out a campaign-only DLC or release of all the Modern Warfare games. I would pay for it. Been asking for this since MW3. I just want to experience all of the stories.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't think it matters that much. Patch, hotfix, update, just play the game.

Yeah, it really, really doesn't. To partially quote some wise words, "not everything needs to be attacked man". The leap from her using the word patch for whatever reason to her not being good at her job is exactly the sort of toxic horseshit why devs never want to communicate with gamers.

Time to take a real fucking long look in the mirror. Good lord.

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding SBMM Drift0r and Ace worked together to do some testing.

Summary courtesy of charlieintel:

I thought a bit about the third bullet point. If I remember correctly, it had the strongest correlation. But that just naturally makes sense. The same way foot length correlates with rate of literacy. Foot length does not cause literacy, but the older you are the more likely you are to be literate. It is not a direct correlation. So rank roughly correlating with skill bracket means very little imo. Kind of supports the idea that SBMM is not heavily influencing skill brackets at all. Actually may be a scenario where skill brackets could be tightened and get a better experience imo.

The fourth bullet point I believe had weaker statistical support than even the previous bullet point btw. I am somewhat convinced they only included it as a separate point to both flesh out the video and to point out they are not biased. There may be something there, so it is likely worth mentioning, but the fifth bullet point is more illuminating. I believe they factor the last 5 or maybe 10 games to find a trend. Are you improving over the last 5 games or getting worse, and by how much?

I completely agree that 1. matchmaking is prioritizing ping and 2. there is a hidden ELO formula. I do not think they would use anything other than a hidden ELO.

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 week): hostility over a series of posts and in PMs

they said a new update with content is coming and then the community manager says update is coming out shortly it's not hard to understand holy shit man.

games broken and doesn't play well people are excited for updates why are you an asshole?

Priester

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get an update that removes the lobbies disbanding each time... never knew how much I enjoyed playing public against the same round of people until it was gone.

Have we ever had an explanation as to why this was implemented?

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get an update that removes the lobbies disbanding each time... never knew how much I enjoyed playing public against the same round of people until it was gone.

Have we ever had an explanation as to why this was implemented?

I hope we do not.

But to maybe answer your question, it is likely because they want to allow people to create their own playlist using filters. For example, I run quick play with TDM, cyber, and SND off. So I always get into matches without those but can be any of the modes I do have checked (and switch between rounds). I love how it works personally. It stops one playlist from ever being the only playlist you can go to. I think it is the best part about this COD playlist system.

Priester

Oct 27, 2017
But to maybe answer your question, it is likely because they want to allow people to create their own playlist using filters.

That's fair enough, I mean, I use the quickplay every time as I go between dom/headquarters/tdm, I just don't like the lost enjoyment of playing against full randoms every time. I used to get a lot of enjoyment of getting eventual revenge on some people from previous games, now that's completely lost.

There must be another way to implement the feature without disbanding the lobby each time.

Trimble

Nov 26, 2017
Well f*ck, this update broke the game for me.

I'm stuck in an infinite loop of "Update requires restart" -> "Update completed successfully" -> "Update requires restart". Can barely find anything about this problem online. PS4

Quoting myself here just to say I uninstalled and reinstalled (ridiculous) and that fixed the issue. Just in case anyone else encounters this.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Getting 50 kills with White Phosphorous for the Officer challenge is going to absolutely suck ass. Sometimes I will call it in and get 0 kills.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Yeah, it really, really doesn't. To partially quote some wise words, "not everything needs to be attacked man". The leap from her using the word patch for whatever reason to her not being good at her job is exactly the sort of toxic horseshit why devs never want to communicate with gamers.

Time to take a real fucking long look in the mirror. Good lord.
Well it does from a communication point of view. It's literally in the job title. But saying a person sucks at their job when it's such a minor and very understandable mistake is pathetic to say the least.

BTW how is everyone experiencing the 725? Is it more balanced atm?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Well it does from a communication point of view. It's literally in the job title. But saying a person sucks at their job when it's such a minor and very understandable mistake is pathetic to say the least.

BTW how is everyone experiencing the 725? Is it more balanced atm?

It's not necessarily even a mistake of any sort on her part, it's possible she's just repeating what she was told.

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
It's not necessarily even a mistake of any sort on her part, it's possible she's just repeating what she was told.
Don't really want to touch this subject any further but "just repeating what she was told" is exactly not what you're suppose to do as communication manager..

The communication department exists for other departments to contact before reaching out to the public or ask to get some message out to the public. And it's specificly the task of the communication department to check and see if there are any inconsistencies or to check if everything is clear enough for the public..

But as you said because it's a véry technical department vs the communication department so it's a very understandable and minor mistake, nonetheless a mistake.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Don't really want to touch this subject any further but "just repeating what she was told" is exactly not what you're suppose to do as communication manager..

The communication department exists for other departments to contact before reaching out to the public or ask to get some message out to the public. And it's specificly the task of the communication department to check and see if there are any inconsistencies or to check if everything is clear enough for the public..

But as you said because it's a véry technical department vs the communication department so it's a very understandable and minor mistake, nonetheless a mistake.

Cool.