• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
As Crazy Ralph tried to warn the Counselors in Friday the 13th "you are all doomed if you go to camp blood",
This COD dev warned us what would happen if they added extra Custom Slots.......

"Its in mainline back at the studio and we've been tinkering with it. I'm not sure which update it's in, but I think its next," Emslie, posting under the screenname artpeasant, said in response to a reddit post calling for additional custom loadout slots. "Believe it or not, it can cause horrible bugs if not tested properly."

And in both cases no one listened!
We were the author of all our pain all along.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Are we to blame if they didn't test adequately? This was the first Call of Duty game not to include a means to get more than the default five create-a-class slots. I wouldn't blame the fans for wanting something better.

Please...life is not that serious lol. This post wasn't meant to be taken so literal (which is why I threw in the Friday the 13th joke). I was just pointing out that the devs foreshadowed these current problems if they added new slots and I figured not many on here knew or remembered that quote.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's my friends are just bored with the game now or tired of the issues but a majority of them have stopped playing the game.

Oct 27, 2017
As Crazy Ralph tried to warn the Counselors in Friday the 13th "you are all doomed if you go to camp blood",
This COD dev warned us what would happen if they added extra Custom Slots.......

"Its in mainline back at the studio and we've been tinkering with it. I'm not sure which update it's in, but I think its next," Emslie, posting under the screenname artpeasant, said in response to a reddit post calling for additional custom loadout slots. "Believe it or not, it can cause horrible bugs if not tested properly."

And in both cases no one listened!
I know you're joking but it's ridiculous that something that's been in the series since 2007 is causing problems and wasn't in the game at launch. Maybe this is why they weren't in the game at launch.

Naru

May 11, 2019
That shader installation thing is fucking annoying. I installed the update -> shader install from 0%, now I updated my GPU drivers -> shader install from 0%. It's 2020 why do we have this kind of shit?

On a positive note, I just played one round of CTF and it seems like it's fun. Edit: scratch that, it's super campy if you happen to end up in a console lobby.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I initially scoffed at the "5 kills over 25 matches" challenge for the crossbow, given how it's obviously meant to be a huge timesink, but it wound up teaching me that the lever action is extremely fun, if a bit jank.

Seriously, limb multipliers are the most annoying and pointless addition Infinity Ward could've possibly made. All it does it make gunfights feel more inconsistent.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
IW gave an update on both major bugs yesterday.
Did you receive an error prompt while downloading Wednesday's update and have your combat record stats reset?

During Wednesday's update, some users were given an error prompt and for those who clicked "Yes", their combat record stats were temporarily reset.
This also reset your custom loadouts, Operator customizations, Killstreaks, and Field Upgrade selections back to their default state.
As of today, anyone who clicked "Yes" and had their combat record stats reset should now see their combat record displaying properly and as they were prior to initiating Wednesday's title update. This won't restore your customizations, so you'll need to set those up again to your liking.
If you were part of this group who had their stats reset and are not seeing them restored, please reach out to us!

Are you stuck in a download loop with "Spec Ops DLC" on PS4?

This is still being investigated. Please keep an eye on our Trello board and @InfinityWard on Twitter for updates on this issue. Thank you again for your patience.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Seriously, what the fucking fuck is wrong with this game? I get my ass handed to me all afternoon and literally say out lout this is bullshit I need to quit for today. I play one last game and go 14-1. It's like someone is listening. And as someone that has a below average skill, I don't notice anything about SBMM. Maybe I am just too bad and the algorithm thinks that I am impossible to place in a similar group because no one can be that bad lol

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, what the fucking fuck is wrong with this game? I get my ass handed to me all afternoon and literally say out lout this is bullshit I need to quit for today. I play one last game and go 14-1. It's like someone is listening. And as someone that has a below average skill, I don't notice anything about SBMM. Maybe I am just too bad and the algorithm thinks that I am impossible to place in a similar group because no one can be that bad lol

The thing with this really strict SBMM is that it doesn't help anyone improve. Because soon as you start doing better than your skill group, you get placed into a harder bracket until you get fucked hard then placed in a shittier bracket.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Does anyone know if the aim assist has been fixed on PC with a controller. AS in the aim assist on PC is far weaker than on consoles give controller PC players a big disadvantage?

I'm expecting the answer to be no...

Do any of you guys play MW on PC with a controller? How do you find it?

Thanks.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
Does anyone know if the aim assist has been fixed on PC with a controller. AS in the aim assist on PC is far weaker than on consoles give controller PC players a big disadvantage?

I'm expecting the answer to be no...

Do any of you guys play MW on PC with a controller? How do you find it?

Thanks.
Screenshot%202020-01-20%20at%2023.53.44.png

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still quite amazed that Infinity Ward hasn't nerfed the M4 or MP5 yet. It's plainly obvious those two guns are far and above the best in the game. Hell, the M4 can challenge sniper rifles and LMGs at range, but nope, gotta keep it exactly where it is: great damage, great ROF, excellent range, no recoil, tight handling.

Totally balanced, extremely fair, super fun to fight against. Definitely doesn't make me feel disadvantaged to use literally any other AR or SMG.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Cannot think of a bigger hog of hard drive space than this monstrosity.

Took all day to install the update and for some god damn reason, it didn't have the multiplayer and spec ops pack which I swear never got deleted and had to redownload those again.

Haven't played in a week and just deleted everything and I'm not looking back. Unbelievable.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
50gb update on PC?? We have less than 100gb left beneath our 1tb cap for the remainder of this month, so I guess I just won't be playing this weekend.

This is hardly a problem exclusive to this game, but man, I'm just so goddamn tired of it.

Naru

May 11, 2019
The thing with this really strict SBMM is that it doesn't help anyone improve. Because soon as you start doing better than your skill group, you get placed into a harder bracket until you get fucked hard then placed in a shittier bracket.
Yes, I never really understood the people that complained about SBMM, because you would think that it is the best concept for most people (except the ones that want to dominate everyone all the time). But now I kinda get what the issue is. In reality this constant up and down (either you feel like you play against bots it's so easy or you get totally destroyed) doesn't really help me as an average player. You still have the few matches in between where it feels like everyone is on the same level but most of the time you either outclass or get outclassed, at least in my experience of 30ish hours of gameplay so far. It never feels like I am really improving...

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Yes, I never really understood the people that complained about SBMM, because you would think that it is the best concept for most people (except the ones that want to dominate everyone all the time). But now I kinda get what the issue is. In reality this constant up and down (either you feel like you play against bots it's so easy or you get totally destroyed) doesn't really help me as an average player. You still have the few matches in between where it feels like everyone is on the same level but most of the time you either outclass or get outclassed, at least in my experience of 30ish hours of gameplay so far. It never feels like I am really improving...

Honestly... COD always felt this way for me. You had matches where you felt like no one can beat you and you had matches where you didn't even hit a target that didn't move and you simply get destroyed. The only thing different where I feel the SBMM is, that most of my matches my k/d is about 1.0. In previous titles there were matches where I could go between 10.0 and 20.0... even as an average player. In MW the best I could do is about 2.0 and 3.0.

Oct 25, 2017
The truth is improvement takes a really long time. This is just true for most things. As a newb you will experience better personal growth for a time, because you are missing some real basic stuff and your brain is just not used to doing basic things very quickly. Other than that you will likely never really notice improvement in a game like COD, not in the short term at least. So I am not sure I buy that SBMM robs people of the feeling of getting better. I also think that shooters like COD all fall in the sort of spectrum of shooters where it is even harder to improve after that noob phase.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
A lot of it is to do with map memorisation, the angles to check depending on what position, which you learn by getting killed and paying attention etc. Aiming practice/reaction, positioning your crosshairs correctly as you move from point to point, yada yada.

It's a great game. Not sure why people are so bummed out - but I did notice with cross-play on, when playing against people with controllers on the larger maps they tend to camp their asses off. Less so with M+KB players imo. Might just be too hard with a pad.

Crossbow longshots are a bitch...8 to go

---Shoothouse, round starts, run forward to get a longshot, enemy pops smoke, aim randomly where I've been practicing for the last 15 games to get some longshots for the damn crossbow...it connects! body drops, explodes and kills 4 others. Instant precision airstrike 3 seconds into the round lol

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The more you play the game, the more you understand the maps. Watch the kill cams. "I didn't even know you could see me from there!"

What I'm amazed of is the work that goes into these maps to limit sight lines between vantage points. From most vantage points while sniping, there are only 2 to 3 vantage point areas you can hit. And in some cases, like on Ramaza, they limit it to just 1 lane to keep it fair.

Oct 25, 2017
I bet if people recorded themselves playing and watched a video after a month of playing, the differences would be vast even if it does not translate to a 2.0 kdr. But after a night? Probably get worse over the course of an average day lol...

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wtf is this shit again. I boot up the game on PS4 after downloading another update file. It then tells me '' you need the dlc for multiplayer '' it takes to me to a PSN page... To download another 9gigs of multiplayer?????

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Activision Blizzard and Google have announced some details of a partnership between them that includes exclusive streaming of all of their esports events on YouTube as well as the use of Google cloud as the preferred host provider for Activision Blizzard titles. Today I wanted to discuss what this could mean for the future of the Call of Duty franchise as well as my opinion on this deal.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
Can anyone tell how the matchmaking works when you're in a group? Does it take some average skill, or the highest or the lowest skilled player?

There might be some averaging but last I checked it finds players whose performance matches the last five games played by whoever is party leader. Unfortunately, this has made playing with friends of lower skill levels rather annoying because inevitably they will get destroyed if I am party leader (and in situations where a more skilled friend is party leader, I end up struggling).

Thanks. Have you experienced it first hand working properly at 75 FOV? It's just I can't find any real evidence supporting this after a quick search.

I've maybe played less than an hour using the sticks, as KBM is so much more comfortable to me in an FPS. I can't substantiate that poster's claims but I have heard complaints about auto aim being odd for PC players and this was the first technical explanation I saw that made sense. Would you mind trying it out yourself and reporting back? I think I'd end up doing terribly on sticks regardless of the auto-aim lol

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone tell how the matchmaking works when you're in a group? Does it take some average skill, or the highest or the lowest skilled player?
Like Dwight said, the best we can tell is that it averages out based on the most recent five matches of the best player (or players, it's not entirely clear) in your party.

My advice when playing with friends? Play Ground War, where skill matchmaking is thrown to the wind and the game only prioritizes getting you into a 64-player match.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
There might be some averaging but last I checked it finds players whose performance matches the last five games played by whoever is party leader. Unfortunately, this has made playing with friends of lower skill levels rather annoying because inevitably they will get destroyed if I am party leader (and in situations where a more skilled friend is party leader, I end up struggling).
Like Dwight said, the best we can tell is that it averages out based on the most recent five matches of the best player (or players, it's not entirely clear) in your party.

My advice when playing with friends? Play Ground War, where skill matchmaking is thrown to the wind and the game only prioritizes getting you into a 64-player match.
Thanks. We hate Ground War, though. But we often noticed that some matches were pretty decent and well-balanced, that once one joins the group we get totally wrecked in the next couple of matches and then it starts to balance things out. It's not too annoying, though. What annoys me the most I can't for the life of me understand why there's no auto team balancing or at least rarely a refill of left players.

Many matches (usually SD) goes like this: starts out at 6vs6. We lose two rounds, one leaves. 5vs6. Two whole rounds and no one joins. Sometimes I can't even join my buddy who plays 3vs6; it simply says "not possible". Then another one leaves. 4vs6. This often happens in other game modes as well and even in 10vs10 TDM it is often 6vs10 and the game does nothing to balance this shit. COD1 from 2004 did so, so it shouldn't be a technical problem and seeing this won't happen in BF1 and V either, I can only think this is on purpose. I get that you don't or shouldn't rip apart existing groups/parties but I don't think that everyone on a team is in a party.

Oh, and that you can select only one mission/challenge at a time makes the game feel unrewarding in many instances and more grindy than it should be. If I could change two things right now, it would be that and the balancing issue. Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with the game. (Of course I'd allow a more customized ranked playlist with less kill streak shenanigans and wouldn't make score series/streaks a perk).

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I've maybe played less than an hour using the sticks, as KBM is so much more comfortable to me in an FPS. I can't substantiate that poster's claims but I have heard complaints about auto aim being odd for PC players and this was the first technical explanation I saw that made sense. Would you mind trying it out yourself and reporting back? I think I'd end up doing terribly on sticks regardless of the auto-aim lol

Thanks. To be honest I don't own the game and was thinking of buying it. This is kind of a deal breaker for me as I'm no good with Mouse and Keyboard.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what IW was thinking when implementing finishing moves. Getting killed while doing one is fine, sure, but letting your target get killed by teammates when it's already so hard to get them? Not to mention they bug out so easily, letting your target escape to fight back when you outwitted them by getting behind them for a melee attack to begin with.

And then they go and make them required for many, many missions. Fucking ingenious.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
Thanks. To be honest I don't own the game and was thinking of buying it. This is kind of a deal breaker for me as I'm no good with Mouse and Keyboard.

The game itself is very good. Satisfying campaign and I have well over 100 hours online.

My buddy plays on PC with controller and liked it so much he actually bought me my copy of the game. If I were in your shoes the aim assist weirdness would be a dealbreaker as I've grown very used to 120 FOV on a conventional monitor.

If you play on a TV though, 75 FOV and thus aim assist won't be a problem.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Don't you hate it when missions are frontloaded with obnoxious challenges?

I sure do! Thank goodness this is over.

RBAiUKI.png

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
They need a daily tier skip... this grind is just too much. I have 38 more levels to go with 15 days left and... that is about 2.5 levels a day which doesn't sound bad but I swear they made it slower. Ground war barely moves the bar for me.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have 95/100 challenges done. 4 of them seem pretty doable but playing enough Cyber Attack to get 5 wins is gonna kill me lol

Also realized that there's no point in me doing the regular challenges anymore this season because XP doesn't seem to translate into that much Tier XP and I'd be better off using that to get to 155 next season.