• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Guess it's finally happened. After building a PC in 2011 and having the only upgrade to it from then being a 560Ti to a 970, I finally found a game that just flat out won't run for me in any good way. I seem to be able to move ok, things happen in seemingly real time, but firing seems to be impossible for some reason, and when it does happen can be a good 10 second delay.

Thankfully I have a PS4 Pro, so I can probably run it on that? Installing now at any rate.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
The thread title should be renamed to "The Rules Had Changed", since people are crying and making them revert on their design decisions haha.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It really doesn't matter in the end though. Crossplay ensures that there will always be people to play with across all modes regardless of a single platforms population.

It does matter, because a lot of pc players wont play with a gamepad no matter what. I and I doubt that there is THAT many people playing with mouse and kb on consoles.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Ground war is a cluster fuck of fast TTK and choke point capture areas. This mode needs:

-higher TTK
-defined capture areas(C flag is dumb)
-spawn protection
-less killstreaks or no killstreaks
-better home base sight line obstruction
-5-10 second respawn time
- Major aim penalty for bunny hopping and quick scoping
-ping or a spotting system maybe for snipers.
-copy the shit out of Battlefield 3 and 4 basically

2 v 2 is still the best mode with the most intensity with SnD following behind. Everything else just feels like the same old CoD meat grinder with zero tactics and team play, which is what it seemed like they were going for this time. Not in love with it yet, but still going to get it for the campaign and the no modes I do like so far.

Onliner

Oct 29, 2017
So is this gonna be the one that brings back the PC community?

Still wrapping my head around cross-play and don't know If I'll get the ps4 pro version or pc.
Nah, especially not without a BR. It would actually need to be a significant change to the formula and be very good for that to have a chance and honestly we all know that's never happening

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Ground war is a cluster fuck of fast TTK and choke point capture areas. This mode needs:

-higher TTK
-defined capture areas(C flag is dumb)
-spawn protection
-less killstreaks or no killstreaks
-better home base sight line obstruction
-5-10 second respawn time
- Major aim penalty for bunny hopping and quick scoping
-ping or a spotting system maybe for snipers.
-copy the shit out of Battlefield 3 and 4 basically

2 v 2 is still the best mode with the most intensity with SnD following behind. Everything else just feels like the same old CoD meat grinder with zero tactics and team play, which is what it seemed like they were going for this time. Not in love with it yet, but still going to get it for the campaign and the no modes I do like so far.

Also there should be some sort of incentive to foster team work. The one thing that always worked with BF4 on PS4/Xbox One is both games had team work within the community and add destruction it was an incredible multiplayer experience. In Ground war you spawn in the middle of a match, get cruise missiles and vtols attacks from the start and it gets laughably bad to continue the match. Killstreaks must be disabled for ground war.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Also there should be some sort of incentive to foster team work. The one thing that always worked with BF4 on PS4/Xbox One is both games had team work within the community and add destruction it was an incredible multiplayer experience. In Ground war you spawn in the middle of a match, get cruise missiles and vtols attacks from the start and it gets laughably bad to continue the match. Killstreaks must be disabled for ground war.

Agreed. Killstreaks could also be very hard to get or only able to be called in from a base station. Or even limited down to a couple non lethal options. Ground war should follow its name and be just a ground war.

As for teamwork, I think having a bit higher TTK and a respawn timer with spawn protection would go a ways to help. There are already player based support options like ammo box and cover so that's a good start. Better squad options too? (I never actually looked into this so if there are optional for joining and leaving squads, disregard.)

Also, the capture areas around flags should be defined and much bigger IMO. This would create better mini battles between groups over capture points and stretch the battlefield more instead of everything converging in the center.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
been away for the weekend, finally got a chance to try ground war for the first time. first impressions aren't great, just feels like a cluster fuck. game crashed just before the round was ending on PS4 too.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time with this beta - played on both PS4 and Xbox - it will be interesting to see if performance issues are sorted by launch, particularly for the X.

On the PS4 version is there any way to disable the pulsing lightbar on the controller when you have the shield available? I found it so distracting!

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Has there been any word on how the premium currency works with crossplay being a thing now? I'm thinking of picking this up on multiple platforms, even buying the expensive version on one of them, but I'd hate not being able to see that content or use that currency across all platforms.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Has there been any word on how the premium currency works with crossplay being a thing now? I'm thinking of picking this up on multiple platforms, even buying the expensive version on one of them, but I'd hate not being able to see that content or use that currency across all platforms.
Curious why you would get it on multiple platforms? I did that with Black Ops 4 since I wanted to play on PC then on console with a friend. But this game has full crossplay and you could play with whoever at any time as long as you're willing to use a controller. Thats what makes the decision so consumer friendly and why ill support the game for it. Idk if currency carries over though, I know progression in the beta did carry over so I think there's a good chance but not sure.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Killstreaks could also be very hard to get or only able to be called in from a base station. Or even limited down to a couple non lethal options. Ground war should follow its name and be just a ground war.

As for teamwork, I think having a bit higher TTK and a respawn timer with spawn protection would go a ways to help. There are already player based support options like ammo box and cover so that's a good start. Better squad options too? (I never actually looked into this so if there are optional for joining and leaving squads, disregard.)

Also, the capture areas around flags should be defined and much bigger IMO. This would create better mini battles between groups over capture points and stretch the battlefield more instead of everything converging in the center.

I think the same, having a higher TTK and respawn time can definitely help the balance and flow of gameplay in ground war by a huge margin. Real question is, if IW did take note of the feedback and understands how it's of utmost importance to tweak it, do they have the time to fix and balance ground war before the game's launch? They've such short time frame to accomplish this no?

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Curious why you would get it on multiple platforms? I did that with Black Ops 4 since I wanted to play on PC then on console with a friend. But this game has full crossplay and you could play with whoever at any time as long as you're willing to use a controller. Thats what makes the decision so consumer friendly and why ill support the game for it. Idk if currency carries over though, I know progression in the beta did carry over so I think there's a good chance but not sure.
Convenience. I want to be able to chat in a party with people I know on PS4 who might be in a game already, or playing a different mode or even a different game. But then I also want to play what's probably the best console version of the game in Xbox One X (chiefly for the singleplayer, but also if I do end up having to play it mostly solo, for MP). I could also see myself buying the PC version at some point, but based on my run with the beta on my current rig, it doesn't seem like a good substitute for the X version on my end.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Surprisingly the modes where we (with my squad) had the most fun was in the night vision and realism modes. There's a methodical and cinematic approach to the gunplay.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I'll probably be playing mostly on controller and I'm really tempted to pick it up on PC for the performance/visuals, but I'm still a little concerned about ranked and tournament play being locked per platform, both because of the historically slim PC playerbase and because I'm kind of garbage against super-competitive players on m&kb lol. I normally wouldn't be playing ranked very much, but I'm really into the beta and I'd probably give it a shot. Decisions.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah so, after playing it a lot yesterday on PC.

Ground War just isn't really good. It's fun at times, but it's way too messy. The game is much better on it's core modes. Those are really great and fun modes, specially Headquarters. The gunplay is fantastic, specially the way the game behaves in ADS, there is sometihng so satisfying on it. On the PC, the game looks and runs great (Ground War is rough though), not so much on PS4. So far, so good.

The really special stuff is CrossPlay. I say it's a 90% success. I played a lot on PC with controller, It must have been weird to a lot of people seeing the lobby full of console and just one lonely PC controller player lol. Only had two matches where it paired controller with M+KB players. It didn't really felt much disadvantage, but I guess that playing at a good framerate helped a lot even with controller. Nevertheless, being able to say "I don't want to use M+KB after a long day of office work", and play at a good level against other controller players, from a PC, is, to me, groundbreaking.

It would be better if it never paired M+KB with controller, but as I said, I really didn't feel at a high disadvantage, but it may be so I hope it improves.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Convenience. I want to be able to chat in a party with people I know on PS4 who might be in a game already, or playing a different mode or even a different game. But then I also want to play what's probably the best console version of the game in Xbox One X (chiefly for the singleplayer, but also if I do end up having to play it mostly solo, for MP). I could also see myself buying the PC version at some point, but based on my run with the beta on my current rig, it doesn't seem like a good substitute for the X version on my end.
Oh okay that makes sense to party chat on ps4. I didn't even think of that since I don't have many friends to play with lol. The 2 that I can play with are on Xbox and with Xbox on Windows I can do Xbox live party chat with them. If discord was supported on everything that could be a solution to just get 1 version. For me I'm happy I get to play on my beefy PC and if I want switch to controller with my Xbox friends to be in a console only lobby. Without the need to buy Xbox version. Perfect deal to me.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I only played one realism match, and it was way harder to kill people lol. We got dunked on hard. By the end of the game they were running around with pistols and I'd just watch them tank 2 or 3 of my shotgun blasts on the kill cam before they decide to shoot me. I like the idea behind realism mode, but it just seemed like there was a bug for the other team giving them double health instead of less health than standard TDM.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so apparently the game won't detect my controller if it's connected via bluetooth. I have to connect wired.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
If they make two changes to Realism, I would play it constantly
  • No red name above opponents
  • When looking at the scoreboard, the only thing visible is the team score, not individual kills/deaths

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I know this may seem a bit of unpopular opinion, but after spending tons of time in the beta, I'm all in for the full game.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I agree but.....
even dice could not do it well ....

Looks over to bfv....

Totally right there. I still get pissed everytime I play BFV, even if it's in a much better lace now then at launch. MW's Ground War feels like an undercooked version of even that game though. It's like constant Operation Metro with instant respawns and instant TTK. I really want it to be good though. The smoothness of CoD's gameplay in this format could be fantastic and pretty much put everything else to bed, but it's not even close to that for me yet.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I played Ground War last night for the first time, it was a glitchy mess, assets like doors and other random things flickering in and out of existance, sometimes open sometimes closed, overall it was very laggy and not ready for prime time, it doesn't feel like a beta feature maybe an alpha, maybe I just had a few bad servers?

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
My essential review. On PC

Looks good, runs good, plays good. I got a triple kill so I am the best.
First thing I heard in the first game I joined was a guy complaing about 'fucking console players'. Which made me laugh. War. War never changes.

Probably still won't buy it though as it's £50 and the only place you can buy it is directly from Blizzards store?
It's too expensive. Maybe when it's cheaper.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Had a great time with the beta!! Wasn't perfect though:

+ Gunplay is amazing; every gun I tried was a blast to use even if it wasn't in the meta
+ Sound design is a huge plus for me too; guns sound punchy and feel like they have weight
+ Slower pace with fast TTK should be at odds with each other but it felt good to me
+ Game looks good as well although nothing next gen/mind blowing

- Rampant connection issues when in a party; was playing with a group of 5 last night (mixed platforms) and couldn't get into consecutive games; we would have to cycle the party leader every game
- I hate the train map
- Visibility needs to be adjusted; too many hidey holes/dark corners for people to camp
- Ground war while initially fun cannot be taken seriously

Will be buying day 1; hopefully I stick with this one longer than I did with BLOPS4

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah but they were not great design. In BF1 I wasn't even shooting at a person I could see. I was just spamming the spot button and then shooting at the red markers.

Had a great time with the beta!! Wasn't perfect though:

+ Gunplay is amazing; every gun I tried was a blast to use even if it wasn't in the meta
+ Sound design is a huge plus for me too; guns sound punchy and feel like they have weight
+ Slower pace with fast TTK should be at odds with each other but it felt good to me
+ Game looks good as well although nothing next gen/mind blowing

- Rampant connection issues when in a party; was playing with a group of 5 last night (mixed platforms) and couldn't get into consecutive games; we would have to cycle the party leader every game
- I hate the train map
- Visibility needs to be adjusted; too many hidey holes/dark corners for people to camp
- Ground war while initially fun cannot be taken seriously

Will be buying day 1; hopefully I stick with this one longer than I did with BLOPS4

I'd like them to work on visibility too. While all the camouflage and stuff in real-life are design to make people fade into the environment, for a game you really want people to pop out a little for the most part with some contrast. A lot of times all I can see is the red floating name of someone and I just shoot at that.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
just crashed again during ground war on PS4, think i'm done with that mode. frame rate was super inconsistent too, even compared to Battlefield.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Hmmm, I did have some laggy rounds here and there, but overall MW plays by the same rules as WWII did (last CoD I played).
I started out very bad (sub 1.0 k/d) in this BETA as well before I figured out that footsteps and shooting first but accurate are massive in this CoD.
If you sprint into the cave for example that's almost a guaranteed death. (On PS4) waiting for a good angle/position when attacking is also more important than in previous games. The auto-aim feels less snappy in this one.
Had a bunch of people turn around on me and kill me because I was too trigger happy.

That's another thing that's been interfering with me it seems, the audio. I swear people are echo locating me by my footsteps because I only use Ghost, yet 9 times out of ten even when I'm flaking people will do a 180 and wait for me to run around the corner, even when crouch walking It's like I'm walking on glass to these people. Meanwhile footsteps in this game can not be heard AT ALL on my soundbar, so I switch over to headphones and even then I can barely hear a thing. Maybe a certain audio settings in game was needed to hear footsteps, I don't know.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The thread title should be renamed to "The Rules Had Changed", since people are crying and making them revert on their design decisions haha.

Pretty much.

May still get this to just have some PvP FPS variety, BFV is getting stale even with my hate love relationship to it.

I know this may seem a bit of unpopular opinion, but after spending tons of time in the beta, I'm all in for the full game.

Aren't most posters in this thread liking the game quite a bit?

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
That's another thing that's been interfering with me it seems, the audio. I swear people are echo locating me by my footsteps because I only use Ghost, yet 9 times out of ten even when I'm flaking people will do a 180 and wait for me to run around the corner, even when crouch walking It's like I'm walking on glass to these people. Meanwhile footsteps in this game can not be heard AT ALL on my soundbar, so I switch over to headphones and even then I can barely hear a thing. Maybe a certain audio settings in game was needed to hear footsteps, I don't know.

I wouldn't worry too much.
The skill levels during Beta are always higher than after the retail version launches, because all the hardcore fans are playing right now.
They also play on a handful of maps in Beta so they memorise them easily.

As far as the audio goes. I play on PS4 with some random 40€ Sony headphones and hear the footsteps just fine (in combination with the mini map, where I see the allies).
So audio mix might be an issue for you

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks blurry enough on the pro as is, then you go into ground war and its like jesus christ, lol.

Im no Digital Foundry but I think the game looks phenomenal in 2v2 Gunfight, and then as you ramp up the player counts the fidelity nose dives, which I suppose is to be expected

The good news is that the engine seems pretty great, and id have to think next gen Cod has a good foundation with it

Last edited:

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
I had some fun with the beta, but it still suffers from the same problems the recent CODs have had for me for a long time, along with some new ones.

Ghost is still the most overpowered perk in the game. It shouldn't exist without stopping power there to balance it out.
People can still just camp in a building looking out a window waiting for you to walk in front of them. Ghost makes this even worse.

Why are there killstreaks in Ground War when there is already vehicles? It's just mayhem.
The game no longer being hitscan results in kill trades, which I can't stand.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I clearly suck at Domination.

I get good scores in TDM and HQ but Dom is generally a shit show. I took it out of the rotation lol.

Yeah agree about the visibility, its an issue. Especially combined with ghost it can be a pain to see enemies at times. But BLOPS 4 pissed me off like right away, this one is rather fun for me.