• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, uhm, yeah about that 55Gb download, it looks like the disc just has a key or something and the rest is actually all downloaded.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like this might be how things are with Activision's games going forward after Spyro and this.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's not true people with disc copies have been playing offline since before the update.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf? This is really, really scummy. They should have been upfront about it then and only have a little sleeve or whatever you call it with a code on it rather than putting a virtually empty disc in the box.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I heard day one 55gb update I was shocked when my One X preorder download was only 50gb. Buy now it makes sense.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, the game is playable offline without any patches. So there has to be more than that on the disc.

Calmine

Jul 5, 2018
Well, that's one of pushing towards a digital future. The disc is basically becoming a form of DRM. It's like how you needed the Infinite Warfare disc to play CoD4 Remastered.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Called it! That is absolutely nuts. Hope you all have decent internet speeds.

Your license to download the game :')

Welcome to PC gaming. You'll find cooling paste, hard drives, SSDs, and guides on how to install these on the left. On the right we have a fine selection of mid-generation upgrade models as well as frame-rate and graphics quality analysis videos, courtesy of Digital Foundry. In the back is our customer support for all your "why can't I refund this broken shit" queries.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
There is no evidence that's the case at all, in fact people have been playing it offline without any patches,

Chances are that download is just going to completely overwrite the install from the disc.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The image clearly shows that all the install is from the download. The download was made available on Tuesday.

Not surprising - but still disappointing. I'm all digital but its a shame for those picking this up at midnight with poor internet....

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is no evidence that's the case at all, in fact people have been playing it offline without any patches,

Chances are that download is just going to completely overwrite the install from the disc.

Even if that is the case, the fact is that even with the disc you will be forced to re-download the entire game on release night to play......

Yamatake

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
I wouldn't mind this if they were totally open about it and if they made some effort with their physical editions.

So if there was maybe a steelbook with a proper instruction manual or some kind of cool booklet and it was clear you are just buying a download code.

It seems like a massive waste of plastic too, right? This can't exactly be environmentally friendly if they are selling literally millions of CDs that contain only 200 MB of data.

I wonder how "trade ins" affect this. Wonder what % of these will be going back to a Gamestop etc for trad in at some point.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
From what I read online people can play while their console is offline ( by installing data from the blue ray ) without any downloads from the net .

Either way this game I usually pop it in every now and then and play it. So I bought it online and might even share it with my brother so cost cut in half .

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Even if that is the case, the fact is that even with the disc you will be forced to re-download the entire game on release night to play......

Fair enough, but that's not what the thread title or the OP alludes to. The OP is stating that the Disc just contains some kind of authentication key ,that's clearly not the case though as it is playable without the update.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone just be glad that streaming is the future, no need for downloads anymore :)

Honestly, what did you guys expect from a multiplayer-only-GaaS-games? They change all the time and add stuff. It's nothing new.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
False thread, should probably close it so people don't keep getting the wrong idea.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
To prove you have a licence to play the game. It's a disc check, as mentioned it's exactly how MW:R was handled that used the the IW disc to validate your purchase, IW disc not in then you can't play.
Hmm but why not put the files...in the disc? It's essentially the same as digital download then, no?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
To prove you have a licence to play the game. It's a disc check, as mentioned it's exactly how MW:R was handled that used the the IW disc to validate your purchase, IW disc not in then you can't play.

So the worst part of physical (having to use your disc everytime to play) with the worst part of digital (reliance on internet to download the game/parts of the game)? sounds great

Vankash

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Still has to install no? I'm sure people can play offline but it will still download the game.

Daffy Duck you said there is nothing in the Disc other then the license key.
It's not true People who got the Disc earlier were able to to install the game with no additional downloads.

That's not true people with disc copies have been playing offline since before the update.

No, the game is playable offline without any patches. So there has to be more than that on the disc.

The 50GB is the day one patch (that adds tons of retouched assets)
Biggest Gamefiles are Textures ,Sound files etc.

Please stop spreading false statements

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Daffy Duck you said there is nothing in the Disc other then the license key.
It's not true People who got the Disc earlier were able to to install the game with no additional downloads.

The 50GB is the day one patch (that adds tons of retouched assets)
Biggest Gamefiles are Textures ,Sound files etc.

Please stop spreading false statements
Nonetheless, people will still have to download 50 GB to play online as the data on the disc is outdated on release...

And for a game not offering a campaign, what is the point in playing offline without the latest patch ?

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not just a licence, people were installing the offline version yesterday!

Xbox just checks for the latest update and then pulls it from the store. At least that's how I figure it works on Xbox

Oct 28, 2017

Xbox just checks for the latest update and then pulls it from the store. At least that's how I figure it works on Xbox

Dat. Xbox install from disc only the part that is not object of the update if it finds one online.

So this is a false news.

Still there is an insane day1 patch

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Has anyone tried to install the disc OFFLINE and see how much data is installing from the disc?! We need to test this out otherwise the network might be overwriting data thats on the disc

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am guessing the smaller file is just an Auth key and it's starts downloading if you're online, else it will just install fully from the disc but you will have to connect for the day 1 patch.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't get it? The disc just has the key that lets you have the digital version? Meaning you're still downloading the full game by internet?
Xbox One tries to get most of the disc version and apply the updated files from internet.

If the files have to be replaced it just won't install them from the disc and download afterward, it pulls the latest version from internet.

I guess someone who installed it offline from the disc will still have to download 50 GB if the game file structure is so bad that everything has to be replaced by a download.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scummy way to push you towards buying digital.
"You don't have to wait 9 hours to download our day one patch if you preload digitally!"

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Popped the disc in, 5 secs later it said copy disc completed. I'm only downloading 18GB on PS4. Should I expect another download to start after?

Status
Not open for further replies.