• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 18, 2018-- Activision's Call of Duty®: Black Ops 4 has sold more than $500 million in sell-through (Note: this is sold, not shipped) worldwide in its first three days of release as the total number of players climbed from last year. Through its first three days of release, Black Ops 4 set a new Call of Duty® franchise record for most combined players, average hours per player and total number of hours played, on current generation consoles. The combined number of Black Ops 4 players across its three modes of play during those first three days tops both last year's Call of Duty: WWII, as well as Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 (single player, multiplayer and zombies), respectively, for the same period of time.

The first Call of Duty release on Blizzard Battle.net®, Black Ops 4 on PC continues to be significantly above last year, as the number of players is more than double year over year through its first three days.

Additionally, based on minutes watched, the title delivered the highest level of viewership through launch weekend on Twitch in franchise history.

"Black Ops 4 is off to a blockbuster start. Our player counts and hours played are up year over year, our viewership on Twitch has set new standards and is showing just how fun Blackout is to play and to watch, and the weekend results yet again put Call of Duty at that highest tier of entertainment," said Rob Kostich, EVP and GM, Call of Duty. "Our digital sales results have been record-breaking across all platforms, and the overall performance strong. We're really excited about Black Ops 4's momentum. There's much more to come, we're just getting started."

Following its launch last Friday, Black Ops 4 already established a new day one record on PlayStation for digital full game sales on PlayStation Store, globally*; and also became the best-selling Activision Xbox One digital game on day one, globally**. Through its first three days, PC digital sales and active players are up significantly from last year.

Sell-through sales figures include Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 retail and digital unit sales, including Black Ops 4 season pass sales, for the opening three-days following initial launch. Sales figures based on retail customer sell-through information, Gfk Chart-Track data, and internal Activision estimates. Total players, hours per player, total hours played, and Twitch viewership based on Activision data.

Source: https://investor.activision.com/new...s-4-delivers-over-half-billion-dollar-opening

Oct 27, 2017
oh god, that campaign is freaking toast isn't it
Is that a bad thing? I am sure that some people will miss the campaign. But think about diverting the resources toward multiplayer only from now on. Isnt that a better senario. I mean how many times can you save the world a hundred years from now/or in the past with the same story each time?

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
oh god, that campaign is freaking toast isn't it
I'd imagine that the campaign for next year is far enough along that they'll see it through (assuming it isn't facing the same development woes as BO4's campaign supposedly did). After that, I'd be surprised if they didn't axe it permanently.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very likely this game is actually down YoY in its opening month from WW2

I had hoped for a stronger launch for it

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Wow... Also I'm sure these results will affect how ea and dice go about their own br mode. Theirs is supposed to be 64 players per round 4 man squads only and I don't think this'll be the final output anymore.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is that a bad thing? I am sure that some people will miss the campaign. But think about diverting the resources toward multiplayer only from now on. Isnt that a better senario. I mean how many times can you save the world a hundred years from now/or in the past with the same story each time?
I enjoyed Call of Duty campaigns, and I only played the games for the single player after MW3. So, for me and the minority who were like me, it's a bad thing.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield being delayed certainly had to have helped. If that released as planned I have to believe the numbers would not be as high.

Sadly this does likely mean the end of the campaign. They could still do one if they want but it looks like they don't need it unless sales really drop off. Actual sales numbers would be interesting to see though to see if there is a drop and if they just made up the money else where.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Through its first three days of release, Black Ops 4 set a new Call of Duty® franchise record for most combined players, average hours per player and total number of hours played, on current generation consoles.

We don't really have any context for how well those sales compare to other CoD games, but when they are specifically highlighting this stuff, it seems like sales weren't as strong as in previous games?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What you call diverting resources I call Activision seeing extra $ signs from not having to spend however many tens of millions it cost to make a campaign in the past.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
The game is really great Ive been having so much fun with it. Is this a good number for COD though?

Receiving pretty much 100% of BattleNet sales must be really good for the company.

Oct 25, 2017
I also fear that the regular multiplayer may be going away. All the press about this game is Blackout and more Blackout. I still love the traditional Call of Duty MP and I actually play it more than Blackout.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
giphy.gif

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
We don't really have any context for how well those sales compare to other CoD games, but when they are specifically highlighting this stuff, it seems like sales weren't as strong as in previous games?
So, BLOPS3 was $550 million in 3 days, and WW2 was $500 million in 3 days, but the wrench in the picture is the super special editions that cost a lot of money. They might have sold less of those here, but still landed with more players overall.

Mind, it is an October release instead of a November one, so we'll have to see how it shakes out as the season progresses.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I think this game didnt cost them as much as previous entries too. No campaign this time which are expensive to make and the blackout map uses assets from past games too. So profitability should be higher for them.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Modern Warfare 2 made $550 million in 5 days in an era where digital distribution wasn't as prolific. Modern Warfare 4 next year is going to easily surpass this figure.

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
I also fear that the regular multiplayer may be going away. All the press about this game is Blackout and more Blackout. I still love the traditional Call of Duty MP and I actually play it more than Blackout.

That will never happen. If the press and streamers were the true barometer of the COD audience, then the previous games would have sold 1M copies at best considering the game barely had any press coverage besides reviews and the only streamers with a decent viewership (2k-5k viewers) were COD players and they always stop streaming as soon as the CWL League starts.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a few things

- with this launch being under COD WW2 opening month is almost assured. WW2 had Black Friday its first month and nothing near the size of RDR2 hitting 1 week later

- Physical is absolutely down YoY. They had record digital as well as double last year sales on PC. Physical units must have taken a big hit

- This is still a very strong performance. That said I'm not sure this is breaking out as well as Activision had hoped

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Ops 4 already established a new day one record on PlayStation for digital full game sales on PlayStation Store, globally*; and also became the best-selling Activision Xbox One digital game on day one, globally**

Hmmm, so there is game which had more digital copies day one on Xbox than BO4?

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Guys it's 2018.

You have to let go of the sales thing. Publishers aren't just looking at sales for games like these. DAU and the money they spend is way more important.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My favourite COD in years. Totally fine saying bye bye to the campaigns.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would an Oct launch vs Nov launch explain that difference since November is considered a holiday month?

Pretty much yes. BO4 will have less days tracked for its opening NPD as well as no BF. Also PC sales wont be tracked.

There is basically no world where the game isnt down YoY in its opening month at least in regards to NPD. It will have to make that gap up over the coming months

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017

I'm more worried about this than the lack of campaign. I like Black Ops traditional multiplayer and would hate to see it go away. Even if Blackout is fun they both complement each other really well.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Does it say how many units this translates to ? I guess the margin is higher on digital and so they can sell less units for more $$$.

I also wonder if they include MTX sold over those three days.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
People say that campaigns are dead, but I bet you that lack of it turned off a major portion of potential customers. Me and almost all my friends bought Call of Dutys exclusively for single player. Had there been one with addition to Blackout, I'm sure they'd have a winner right there. Lack of SP is on production mismanagement and it will be back next year, and next one and...

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Does it say how many units this translates to ? I guess the margin is higher on digital and so they can sell less units for more $$$.

I also wonder if they include MTX sold over those three days.
The game has no MTX in it yet. There is no store yet.

Sony publishes it there, just like Crash and Destiny. BLOPS4 is their biggest selling Japanese debut since GT5 actually. It sold more copies 1st week than GT Sport, Bloodborne, Spider-Man or any other Sony published PS4 game.
Thats crazy

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I guess we can say goodbye forever to COD campaigns.

Campaign was scrapped because of the massive success of PUBG / Battle Royale earlier this year and the CoD developers didn't have time to make both, so they had to pick one and went with BR Mode, as that would make more money than a Campaign.

Campaign will likely be back in future games, as developers will have more time. Hopefully anyway.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Going to be a hard follow for Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer - do they include single player now or juice it up with their version of BR? or is this BR the version until they release bo5? thinking, thinking

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
0% chance of that happening given how huge that audience is. Also it's not like there's generally a lot of chatter about COD MP anyway as it's a known quantity whereas Blackout is a first for the series and the first example of an extremely popular and long running series adding a battle royale mode so it's obviously getting a lot of attention.