• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
There's a pretty careful balance between "positioning and awareness don't matter, I can just force my way through with pure gun play" and "I immediately get killed out of nowhere with no way to react". Maybe we are too close to the latter now, but we were definitely too close to the former before.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
There's a pretty careful balance between "positioning and awareness don't matter, I can just force my way through with pure gun play" and "I immediately get killed out of nowhere with no way to react". Maybe we are too close to the latter now, but we were definitely too close to the former before.

Agreed. I think the grenade nerfs were the correct move and they just over-nerfed armor. I'd like to see them buff armor about halfway back to where it was and leave the grenades alone for a while so people aren't getting melted quite as quickly but still need to consider their positioning.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Blackout camo system is live on PS4. Apparently you pick up Paint Cans like any other floor loot, and then once you've collected 5 you can use them to purchase the Grassland camo (not sure if you have to purchase for each gun, by gun category or for all guns at once). How camos after that are unlocked is currently unknown. Bit fuzzy on the details because these are based on other people's experience, Treyarch themselves haven't talked about it yet.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I wonder what they are going to do with the ABR in Blackout. It was already a very strong gun, but with the armor nerfs it has become overpowered in my opinion. Both strong and accurate, it can melt you in two bursts over 100+ meters. Plus it is pretty common, in contrast to the sniper rifles it is supposed to counter. It is so frustrating to get spotted by someone and scramble to cover behind a rock or a window, only to eat a burst to the head from over 100 meters away by an ABR. This happened multiple times yesterday.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
When searching for paint cans, look at places you normally don't check for loot. I've found them in beds, on tables and even just in the middle of a dirt road.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
I like the adjustments and feel before just blindly running in a field and someone shooting you first in the back didn't mean death. That should never have been that way too turn a fight from being caught out so much. I would agree a slight buff to armor/survivability and we will be in a good spot. Currently you do melt people quick; however I'm all for that person who gets the tactical jump to have the advantage.

The ABR is an amazing gun but it's way too strong and accurate at the moment. If you hit the first burst you are almost guaranteed to hit the second burst and that's all it takes. It's very easy to find so maybe that is the first adjustment they need to make.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
After the last weekend I thought I'm slowly getting better... but no. The game just decided to put me on the winning side.

Today: Get matched against 2 master prestige on Nuketown, lost. Get to the next lobby, nuketown, quit. Next lobby, Nuketown, quit. Next lobby, Nuketown, quit. Next lobby, Madagascar, already 13 - 39, quit. Next lobby, Militia, lost 34 - 75 including snipers nest and strike team.

Sometimes I really wanna smash my controller into my monitor.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
First game of the day and... #3! Only one kill, though, with the hated ABR to boot. I am ashamed of myself.

I had a good chance at winning it since I had Outlander activated for the final collapse. But I kind of panicked since the other two were very close to me and I got melted by a Swat when I tried to make a run for it. Oh well.

Collected 7 spraycans and indeed, they mostly seem to be on beds and desks. Camos has to be redeemed seperately for each gun, but the good news, so far, is that the next camo in line will also cost 5 cans. Of course this is only the second camo, but no 5 - 10 - 15 etc. increases yet.

I will definitely be unlocking the Urban camo for my favorite guns since it looks hella hot:

blops4_urbankxk7d.jpg

All camos are also usable in MP and, I take it, Zombies, with the exception of gold/diamond/bm of course.

Lastly, have there been Christmas skins? I saw some winter emotes (snowman, mistletoe) earlier and I just unlocked this skin for Seraph:

blops4_orchidxwk2v.jpg

It is called Green Orchid, but it screams Christmas to me. It won't see a lot of use, though I will never say no to more Seraph skins (though I wish the game would grace me with some Crash and Torque outfits as well).

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Zero's Numbers mission is also live. Can be started by collecting the "Alien Charm" (I take that is the 8-bit keychain seen on her disruptor grenades and Ice Pick) from nearby a computer. Guy on Reddit said he found it near the oldschool computers in Array. The mission is to "destroy 50 equipment in lifetime", and apparently this is counted even before you start the mission.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Collected 7 spraycans and indeed, they mostly seem to be on beds and desks. Camos has to be redeemed seperately for each gun, but the good news, so far, is that the next camo in line will also cost 5 cans. Of course this is only the second camo, but no 5 - 10 - 15 etc. increases yet.

Thank you for the info. I have a few questions (Xbox Player Here)
-Do cans take up inventory slots?
-Is there a cap to how many cans you can obtain?
-Are you able to loot cans off of the dead?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
There is actually an increase in caps needed for camos. First two were 5 and now the third one takes 10 to unlock.

I am not worried about this, though. I looted a few places and drove around and they are absolutely everywhere. Most buildings bigger than a shed seem to contain at least one, and the sides of the roads are littered with them, too, as poklane pointed out.

I kind of wonder now if it is possible to start a custom, private game and collect them at your own leisure, without worrying about people trying to kill you...

Thank you for the info. I have a few questions (Xbox Player Here)
-Do cans take up inventory slots?
-Is there a cap to how many cans you can obtain?
-Are you able to loot cans off of the dead?
1. Nope! They added a special "resources" slot to your inventory screen where any collected cans will appear. Much like how armor plates don't take up regular space either.
2. No idea. I collected seven in one game, but since they serve no in-game purpose (in contrast to armor plates) I imagine you can collect as many as you can find. If there is a hard cap, then I guess it would be either 9 (to prevent double digits) or 99 (triple digits).
3. I haven't encountered them inside death bags yet. That said, most buildings I have visited so far contained cans, even if they were picked completely clean otherwise. So maybe people just aren't aware of them yet.

Edit: My second Seraph outfit in row from Reserves. Feels like it has a 'flavor of the day' thing going on. Four days ago: three Firebreak outfits/war paints in a row. Three days ago: two Prophet outfits in a row. Two days ago: two Battery outfits in a row, followed by another two outfits and a war paint yesterday.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Can't say I'm a fan of Blackout's camo progression to be honest, just find it a really weird choice to let people "earn" camouflages for a gun without even touching them. Blackout camos just show that you play a lot, means fuck all about how good you are with the actual gun.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think it fits perfectly with the loot aspect of the mode. Earning it with specific gun (s)kills doesn't work when you can only get 3-5 kills on average in one match. Plus you are completely dependant on RNG to get the gun you want to camo for in the first place. Imagine doing it the MP way with a gun like the Paladin, which is like a 1 in a 100 matches spawn (at least for me it is). No thank you.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think it fits perfectly with the loot aspect of the mode. Earning it with specific gun (s)kills doesn't work when you can only get 3-5 kills on average in one match. Plus you are completely dependant on RNG to get the gun you want to camo for in the first place. Imagine doing it the MP way with a gun like the Paladin, which is like a 1 in a 100 matches spawn (at least for me it is). No thank you.
I understand where you coming from as that no doubt would have been a problem, but I still feel like they should have just done at least something to make you actually earn it. Like for Assault Rifles and SMGs they could have simply made it a number of kills.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if the later camos work the same way?

Edit: Apparently they're 30 cans each. This and camos just being palette swaps explains why the update was so fast after they announced it a couple of weeks ago. Well, much better than staring at the ugly green and purple camos from the current operation.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I understand where you coming from as that no doubt would have been a problem, but I still feel like they should have just done at least something to make you actually earn it. Like for Assault Rifles and SMGs they could have simply made it a number of kills.
They could have combined the two, I guess. For example 1 kill and 5 cans for the first tiers, 2 kills and 10 cans for the next, up to 10 kills and 25 cans for the later camos.

The kills could be dependant on the type of gun. 10 kills for LMGs/Tactical Rifles, 15 kills for ARs/SMGs, 5 kills (or even less?) for Sniper Rifles, etc.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017

I personally think any camo progression where it forces you to play a gun you suck at is inherently bad for the game. This is why half the matches are crap for people in multiplayer because kids are trying to complete challenges and the rest of team suffers a loss because those kids are too busy trying to get Mozu headshots.

I think In Blackout, however, that you're right because the loot is randomized so getting X number of kills with any weapon should open up that camo for it eventually.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I have unlocked 5 camos for a gun so far. The amounts are:

1. 5 paint cans
2. 5
3. 10
4. 10
5. 10
6. 15

Haven't unlocked the sixth (Urban) yet, so I don't know the rest. I do know the 'special' camos, the second group basically, cost 30 cans per camo. So maybe the rest will look something like this:

7. 15 cans
8. 20
9. 20

and then a 10 can jump to the special camos. But again, that is pure speculation on my part.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
I have unlocked 5 camos for a gun so far. The amounts are:

1. 5 paint cans
2. 5
3. 10
4. 10
5. 10
6. 15

Haven't unlocked the sixth (Urban) yet, so I don't know the rest. I do know the 'special' camos, the second group basically, cost 30 cans per camo. So maybe the rest will look something like this:

7. 15 cans
8. 20
9. 20

and then a 10 can jump to the special camos. But again, that is pure speculation on my part.
8910 cans for dark matter as per reddit.

Edit: total needed to get to dark matter

https://www.reddit.com/r/Blackops4/...unlock_dark_matter/?utm_source=reddit-android

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like PC is already almost dead. Just queued up on US West and it took 10 minutes to start a 40 player game. First game with the new armor stuff went well enough, but honestly it just makes the game even more stressful because if I get caught out I'm almost guaranteed to be dead. I get that positioning is a valid skill and everything but if I wanted a game where it was the most important one I'd go and play PUBG becaues I don't think any BR is every going to have them beat in that regard. A large part of why I like Blackout is that it reminded me of the more arcadey freestyling nature of Radical Heights, where you had a lot of options in terms of weapons and equipment as well as positioning to fight your opponent and the game encouraged you to be creative and aggressive. Lowering the TTK detracts a lot from that and encourages defensive play. As people get more used to the TTK I feel like the games are going to slow down a lot more, if I end up with decent gear I feel like doing anything other then siting in a building until the circle makes me move is just putting myself at a disadvantage.

Also it's starting to sink in just how ludicrous the grind for Zombies Dark Matter is. I did the math, it takes 94800 headshots and 136800 normal kills to complete the whole thing. For a frame of reference, I'm Prestige Master 104 with over 9 days of playtime in zombies and I currently have 208373 kills. I understand that I probably wasn't super optimal with my zombie killing, but this whole thing is going to take forever, probably well over double the time it took for me to get MP Dark Matter.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Question: If I reset my stats will it erase my camos and skins that I've gotten? I hit level 81 in Blackout so I'm debating doing it if I can keep the skins and camos.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The RK7 is kind of fun. It is not very good at all but the reactions you hear the 4th time you kill some high prestige guy with it are great and they can't win. If they die it's humiliating and if they kill you it's like great you killed someone using an RK7 with a spitfire, congrats. I was going to farm these in hardcore but I just hate the mode too much.

Firebreak + Hardpoint + Nuketown gives me life while getting LMG headshots. I camp that second story so damn hard. 30 kills before I can be dislodged by grenades usually.

Also the Skullsplitter operator mod is fun as hell. It's like dead eye in red dead but you feel cooler because it's in real time. If you're good, you can just pop pop pop.

Last edited:

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
After the latest patch the ABR in Blackout is fucking meme tier over powered. It's like they rebalanced the armour but didn't take in to account the knock on effect.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Oof. THREE 2nd place finishes with my buds in quads tonight. We just couldn't close out.

Super frustrating but man, what a blast this game is.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Great, that'll be when I should try to unlock Reznov again while 80% of the lobby goes into whatever new place(s) they make.
I'm still hoping that challenge will be changed to just getting a sniper kill. It's hard enough to find a sniper rifle in Blackout after grabbing the hat. Getting a kill at 200m is so unbelievably rare that it might as well not exist.

Worse yet, in team modes, you have to get the knock and the kill, meaning they can crawl to cover or be cleaned up by someone else, robbing you of the credit. I've only ever gotten two kills beyond 200 meters, and I've got over fifty wins and dozens of hours sunk into this mode. I have every character unlocked, sans Reznov (because the challenge is pointlessly unfair) and Bruno (because the one time I fulfilled the challenge, the server crashed).

That challenge needs to change.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Headshots being counted as body shots or outright missing even though your cross hair is dead centered on their forehead, enemies killing you before they even turn in your direction, general Seeker Mine/Tempest/Cluster Grenade/War Machine spam... yup, classic MP night.

I will continue playing to finish all the Precision Challenges, but I am so done with this shit.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Ever since I got the game update yesterday, have had multiple freezes where I have to completely shut the game down. Never had this issue before. I'm on 1X. Anyone else getting this?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I got ridiculously lucky with the Reznov challenge. First time trying it I found the hat, nearby shack had fully kitted paladin and a couple of minutes later I saw a guy at the ridge about 300m away. One shot, one kill.

The more I play, the worse the paint can system feels. It sucks that by far the best way to get them is to ignore everything else and drive around on random roads. Even when you're not specifically focusing on collecting them, they basically make you take unnecessary risks to stop and pick them up. At the very least I would restrict them to the same areas other loot is in.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
wait does that mean blops4 is in season 2 currently? huh, I guess so there was that weird dia de las muertes season at launch and then the zero season going on now i guess?

i find that i don't like to play MP at all if there is no non-objective mercenary featured mode. I just have been logging in every day once, play blackout, drop to a crowded spot, get a kill, usually die quickly, get my daily "advance one level in market" thing, and i'm done. Kinda feel like I'm sorta done with the game :(

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
That is enough Blackout for today. Had hoped to end it on a high note, but I finished #2 in my last game. Feels so bad to go through all that healing and fully repairing your L2 armor for the final 1 vs. 1 shootout, only to eat two ABR bursts and die.

In hindsight I should have thrown that concussion grenade I was sitting on, but I really didn't expect him to notice me since he had his back towards me before suddenly moving to the other side of the three and killing me. Though he could have been running awareness I guess.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Titan in Blackout. None or only a few attachments? Complete garbage. Fully decked out tactical Titan? Come to papa.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I just remembered I ran into Zero's personal mission today. As mentioned earlier, you have to have a lifetime total of 50 destroyed equipment, then find her Alien Charm and finish the mission with it in your inventory. My current number of destroyed equipment: 0.

It will be a loooooong grind.

Not quite sure why they couldn't just make it so you would have to destroy 1 piece of (enemy?) equipment during a match and finish top 30/15.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Going to be very interesting to see how Respawn's new BR game dropping compares to Blackout. It's free to play and dropping tomorrow. From what people are saying it's a combo of Overwatch and Blackout. I don't know man....But Titanfall 1 was my favorite shooter of all time and if this new one feels as good I think it'll be a crazy good time for BR games between this and Blackout.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Gotta love how incredibly inconsistent knifing is. One day you can knife people from 10 feet away, the next day you're up in their ass and still miss them

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Frustrating games tonight. Lots of situations where I made sure to check my surroundings and still get shot by other people in the open the moment I start moving again.

Last game I was ahead of the collapse and scanned its edge for 30~ seconds before moving. I had the high ground and could see everything behind me. No sign of movement whatsoever, so I run to a bush further uphill and... some guy comes running out of the direction I just looked at and shoots me in the back.

Maybe I am tired and therefore unfocused, but I don't get it. I just don't get it.

That said, I got a clean as fuck headshot over 168 meters on a moving target with the tactical Paladin Torque gave me. First shot, too. That, at least, felt good.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be very interesting to see how Respawn's new BR game dropping compares to Blackout. It's free to play and dropping tomorrow. From what people are saying it's a combo of Overwatch and Blackout. I don't know man....But Titanfall 1 was my favorite shooter of all time and if this new one feels as good I think it'll be a crazy good time for BR games between this and Blackout.

Titanfall always had a very satisfying gameplay mechanically speaking, but the limited variety and depth always killed those games' population rather early. If what they're saying is true and this game is nothing but Titanfall but without Titans, so superfast wallhopping, aerial shootouts and whatnot... I don't know, honestly. It could work, and I'm kinda excited, but I feel that it will be hard to top Blackout, which is currently the best BR out there imho.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played a COD since the original Modern Warfare so getting into this one I decided to splurge and get the Black Ops pass with it. The Black Ops pass is without a doubt the worst gaming purchase I've made in a while. Maps that I'll never get to play in MP, two skins in Blackout, and it does something in Zombies I dunno, I tried that mode out and it was terrible and boring. Normally I can forget about a bad buy, but since I'm regularly playing I feel like I'm mocked every time I load up by what a dumb move that was. I would have been much better off with the basic Battle Edition.

Looks like PC is already almost dead. Just queued up on US West and it took 10 minutes to start a 40 player game.
Judging by the time of your post and mentioning US West that means it was around 2-3AM at the time. Yeah, the game is SUPER dead in the dead of night and wee morning hours and is pretty comatose until around noon where things pick up on weekdays. At that time I'd swap over to Europe to get games going.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played a COD since the original Modern Warfare so getting into this one I decided to splurge and get the Black Ops pass with it. The Black Ops pass is without a doubt the worst gaming purchase I've made in a while. Maps that I'll never get to play in MP, two skins in Blackout, and it does something in Zombies I dunno, I tried that mode out and it was terrible and boring. Normally I can forget about a bad buy, but since I'm regularly playing I feel like I'm mocked every time I load up by what a dumb move that was. I would have been much better off with the basic Battle Edition.

Judging by the time of your post and mentioning US West that means it was around 2-3AM at the time. Yeah, the game is SUPER dead in the dead of night and wee morning hours and is pretty comatose until around noon where things pick up on weekdays. At that time I'd swap over to Europe to get games going.

Yeah, the pass is trash. I bought it because the previous passes for the Black Ops games were glorious, but aside from Zombies (which I enjoy but also play sporadically), it's useless. Skins in Blackout mean shit because those can not be customized as much as the regular ones, so it feels like skins with less features. And well, 4 months in we only got 2 maps which only recently got into regular rotation, maps that aren't even that good (I kinda like the snow one, but the other one is not very fun). This was probably the last time I bothered buying a special edition for COD, their value has been decreasing hard.

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
Titanfall always had a very satisfying gameplay mechanically speaking, but the limited variety and depth always killed those games' population rather early. If what they're saying is true and this game is nothing but Titanfall but without Titans, so superfast wallhopping, aerial shootouts and whatnot... I don't know, honestly. It could work, and I'm kinda excited, but I feel that it will be hard to top Blackout, which is currently the best BR out there imho.

Just saw a few leaked screenshots of the game and my hype is dying down a bit now. Looks very cartoony. I agree about blackout btw. Best BR experience out there and I really don't NEED another BR game in my life but I love Respawn so thought this could be cool. At least from the very little bit I'm seeing so far, it's definitely not what I was hoping for.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw a few leaked screenshots of the game and my hype is dying down a bit now. Looks very cartoony. I agree about blackout btw. Best BR experience out there and I really don't NEED another BR game in my life but I love Respawn so thought this could be cool. At least from the very little bit I'm seeing so far, it's definitely not what I was hoping for.

You refer to that character select picture? Isn't that unverified at this point? Or did I miss some other leak?

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
You refer to that character select picture? Isn't that unverified at this point? Or did I miss some other leak?

Yeah that screenshot. Nothing is verified yet - so I should reserve judgement. But after initial claims that they're trying to go Overwatch+Blackout, then that shot would make sense from the cartoony aspect of OW.

I heard another rumbling earlier before that shot that the game is more like Siege+Blackout and that would've been great. I was envisioning similar pilot designs to the first game. We'll see soon enough though. I hope I'm wrong.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that screenshot. Nothing is verified yet - so I should reserve judgement. But after initial claims that they're trying to go Overwatch+Blackout, then that shot would make sense from the cartoony aspect of OW.

I heard another rumbling earlier before that shot that the game is more like Siege+Blackout and that would've been great. I was envisioning similar pilot designs to the first game. We'll see soon enough though. I hope I'm wrong.

The thing I'm most unsure about is whether Titanfall's crazy speed and acrobatics would make for a good BR. If you can wallrun but there's only occasional buildings or cliffs to run on, it becomes moot. But then again, what makes BR exciting in the first place is the slow buildup, the tactical battles, the stealth. Turning it into a game where everyone runs at 80mph and jumps 300 feet while shooting rockets and shotties in people's face sounds bizarre, and they'd have to have a HUGE map to accomodate the traversal with that many players. Of course the game could be slower, less acrobatic and such, but with the game already taking out titans, why call it Titanfall besides brand recognition at that point?

Either way, we'll see in a couple hours, hopefully the game isn't too big because I'd love to download it and play it in time later tonight.