• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Talk about a wet fart of an ending. I didn't expect much but I still got disappointed. It confirmed that they were killed offscreen and Richtofen was just around to communicate with Victis. They also didn't do very much with Monty and the Shadow Man so that felt pointless. Seems like we'll just have to get to 2020 for a Aether reboot.

eHEbcNJ.gif

DyhjAkVXcAAXxy0.jpg

Bahahahaha

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Talk about a wet fart of an ending. I didn't expect much but I still got disappointed. It confirmed that they were killed offscreen and Richtofen was just around to communicate with Victis. They also didn't do very much with Monty and the Shadow Man so that felt pointless. Seems like we'll just have to get to 2020 for a Aether reboot.

Bahahahaha
There's honestly 0 fucking reason to have an ending this incredibly bad. Even if they were on heavy budget constraint like some people are speculating they should have just stalled the story to then properly end it with BO5. Saw someone on Reddit describe this ending perfectly: it makes the final season of Games of Thrones seem well written.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
There's honestly 0 fucking reason to have an ending this incredibly bad. Even if they were on heavy budget constraint like some people are speculating they should have just stalled the story to then properly end it with BO5. Saw someone on Reddit describe this ending perfectly: it makes the final season of Games of Thrones seem well written.

It's an abysmal ending. It probably would have been better waiting until BO5, I honestly can't believe that's an ending that was considered good enough to wrap up. I wonder if Revelations was originally the ending to the Aether story but had to come up with something quick for BO4.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Blood of the Dead ending: Nikolai, you need to preserve your soul to defeat Dr. Monty!
Classified ending: Come with us to fight The Great War!
Alpha Omega ending: Ohhhhhh I'm pissed at Monty now! Lets kill him and destroy everything he loves!
Tag der Toten ending:
lol lets just kill all characters and wipe all events they've been a part of from existence fucking lmfao

It's an abysmal ending. It probably would have been better waiting until BO5, I honestly can't believe that's an ending that was considered good enough to wrap up. I wonder if Revelations was originally the ending to the Aether story but had to come up with something quick for BO4.
I don't think BO3 was the ending, if it was I doubt we would have gotten Classified and BotD at launch. I think however due to possible disappointing sales and people being moved to CoD2020 there was a change of plans. And if there wasn't a change of plans and this was truly the end they envisioned: nobody should pay these writers to write a story ever again.
Honestly, just ditch aether. Move onto chaos.
I think Treyarch is gonna have one hell of an issue with getting people committed and interested into any storyline when this is how they end a story they started in 2008.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think BO3 was the ending, if it was I doubt we would have gotten Classified and BotD at launch. I think however due to possible disappointing sales and people being moved to CoD2020 there was a change of plans. And if there wasn't a change of plans and this was truly the end they envisioned: nobody should pay these writers to write a story ever again.

I think Treyarch is gonna have one hell of an issue with getting people committed and interested into any storyline when this is how they end a story they started in 2008.

I thought the rumor was they dumped Chaos after the lackluster reception to it in BO4. Personally I didn't even think the writing was that bad for the Aether maps, Blood was phenomenal storywise and Alpha Omega had some nice fleshing out to Black Arrow. For Tag Der Toten is a completely different story with how it was executed. They dropped the buildup to the finale as well as the plot points they were building up to in this season. Blood, AO, Classified are worthless now.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

I'd take it over an aether reboot. The ending of BO3 should have shown that nobody is getting a satisfying ending. There's just too much shit they've built upon.

It is painfully clear that CoD2020 fucked zombies right up. The ending of classfied proves it. They clearly had different plans until sledge/raven fucked up. So they had to dump the idea of concluding in season 2 of zombies and instead had to "wrap" the story up to prepare for the aether reboot they were ordered to do for 2020.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Seeing how much better that reality is than ours
killself.gif
Season 2 of DLC is announced as we finish up the chaos story for this game in DLC4. We just finished exploring the streets of Rome and a tease for the second season happens. It's going to be all about aether and its conclusion. Also, ZC2 is announced and will update all maps that ZC1 didn't. Life is good

Last edited:

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if newer people were put on the last 2 DLCs to finish them up, so the senior team could move on to cod 2020

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Just gonna dump something someone found when glitching out of the map in Theater here as it's yet to be explained
v0ts9qxmeeo31.jpg
And now I shall cry myself to sleep with one hell of a headache

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
People actually thought MW wouldn't have microtransactions as bad as BO4 when it's projected to be an even bigger success

cGAETO5.png

*breathes in
CsBlt5M.png

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Tag der Toten is an excellent map with a freaking godawful ending.

That being said, even an "excellent" map isn't good enough to keep me for long after the finale. I uninstalled BO4 last night.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Ive been saying it since it was revealed. This is the future until regulation happens.

Yeah, it seemed fairly obvious that Black Ops 4 was a testing ground to see how much the fanbase can deal with. Now since Modern Warfare is going to make way more money than BO4, it's time for them to milk it for all its worth.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, fuck off. I'm done with the constant lies that have plagued this game. I'm expecting the worst possible scenario with Modern Warfare, hell it's already started.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call Of Duty or me is just in such a weird spot right now. I enjoyed BO4, but it wore off a lot quicker than BO1-3. The MW beta has been extremely hit and miss, thanks to a plethora of horrible design decisions: lowest TTK ever, classic MW-style killstreak spam as opposed to poinstreaks, camping to the max increased by shit like Ghosts reverting to the "always on" mode and the new horrible map designs, most new modes simply not being good with the exception of the evolution of S&D, less impactful shooting (realistic or not, the laser tag feel of BO4 combined with the higher TTK made for a more balanced and hard-fought experience), lack of visual identity despite the good graphics (believe it or not there's middle grounds between this game's "everything is sterile" and "straight outta My Little Pony" like some DLC maps in BO2-4), butchered UI (who had an issue with the minimap or the fact the UI actually tells you useful info as opposed to jackshit?), and so on.

I am intrigued by some of the MW changes (the movement feels better in some ways, doors add a little bit of tactical depth, etc.) but it's picking too many outdated elements of the original MW games which were rightfully balanced out throughout the years. At the same time, I have a hard time sticking to BO4 with its horrible progression system and surprisingly stale meta (BO3 had less classes and yet it felt more varied) despite the core gameplay being miles better than what MW is offering. I'm curious to see what happens to Blackout, too, a mode I expected to addict me and that I dropped after a couple dozen matches instead, with every update just pushing me farther from what I wanted in a COD BR (superpowers now? seriously?). For the first time in like a decade, I risk just falling out of the COD cycle for a while. Either I was stuck on the new COD for a while or I kept going back to the old one (eg. back to BO3 about 40 days after IW came out), but now I fear that by the end of the year I'll be done with MW, without seeing much reasons to go back to BO4 either, with the games prior that start to feel a bit too old (BO3 is a blurry mess on X1, hard to go back to that after the 4K of the last 3 games).

We'll see how it goes I guess. Will be getting MW at launch and against all odds, the 4 Black Ops games are my top 4 COD multiplayer experiences, so I will not miss Black Ops 5 or whatever it's gonna be called next year for sure. But the future of the franchise does not seem particularly exciting right now, and knowing that Treyarch is being worn thin having to crunch their ass off to deliver the next game after already struggling with BO4 makes me fear that they'll legit come up with a "bad" game. No mainline COD is ever really bad nowadays tbh, but it can be like Ghosts that is so damn vanilla and uninteresting that one can barely remember what's in that game anymore, and I prestiged in it a couple times. The next Black Ops better not be that, because you can say a lot about the franchise but it's always been the boldest and most innovative sub-franchise as a whole, with 2, 3 and 4 absolutely revolutionizing (for better or worse, your pick) how COD plays.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
After getting an afternoon of the BO4 maps, before getting Grind at the end of my play session, it's dawned on me that most of the maps made for BO4 are kind of awful.

There are so many maps that are just basically a straight line, with a route around the sides to flank.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After getting an afternoon of the BO4 maps, before getting Grind at the end of my play session, it's dawned on me that most of the maps made for BO4 are kind of awful.

There are so many maps that are just basically a straight line, with a route around the sides to flank.

They're indeed not that great overall, but it's unreal how much they're still better than the ones in Modern Warfare, which are basically random geometry without any considation for how well they may play.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who plays pretty much exclusively objective modes (domination mostly), those MW maps were some of the worst maps i've experienced. An uncontrollable clusterfuck. Yall might not like the 3 lane design, but it does wonders for objective modes. (although, the maps felt bad in TDM too due to the muted colors, shit strewn everywhere, and people being able to pop out of damn near anywhere)

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who plays pretty much exclusively objective modes (domination mostly), those MW maps were some of the worst maps i've experienced. An uncontrollable clusterfuck. Yall might not like the 3 lane design, but it does wonders for objective modes. (although, the maps felt bad in TDM too due to the muted colors, shit strewn everywhere, and people being able to pop out of damn near anywhere)

The 3-lane concept feels a bit old because they use the same flank routes most of the time, with an open area in the middle and so on. They feel very similar because that's the design philosophy that has proven to work best in objective-based games, but they could definitely make things more varied even inside that concept. But that's the thing: as unoriginal those maps may be design-wise, at least they fucking work the way they're supposed to. Look no further than playing Jungle in BO4 to see how the more open design of early games does not translate into proper tactical gameplay.

Now, Modern Warfare's maps are 20 times worse than something like Jungle because they lack reason or rhyme. Tons of fairly low falls, some of which you can vault over while others will just be used to quickscope from behind while jumping. Little mazes inside of houses with tons of blind spots to camp in. Tons of barely visible cover, rooftops, etc. for people to camp happily. Doors would be a great tactical element, except there's more than enough room to camp behind them which is another very cheap kill waiting to happen. And despite the complexity of the seemingly randomized geometry, there's still a lot of lengthy runways with 0 cover where you are just waiting to be sniped from who knows where.

If MW's maps is the alternative to the 3-lane design, I'd rather play the latter for the next decade. There's a reason Modern Warfare Remastered died quick: once the nostalgia faded away, people realized that the OP killstreaks, the horrible spawntrapping, the random map design, the ultralow TTK, the lack of counterplays against half the things in the game, the grenade spam, etc. just don't make sense in our days: a lot of people didn't know better between 2007 and 2009, but now they do.

Likewise, it's becoming annoying how Treyarch always evolves the formula with tons of great elements in their games (replays, eSports modes, custom game modes, pointstreaks, Pick-10, team kills, class-based gameplay, etc.) then the next dev arrives and ignores every cool addition that they did to instead focus on their classic stuff. Treyarch evolved their formula when the other games pushed good ideas (killstreaks, advanced movements, etc.), Infinity Ward seems to enjoy ignore every positive change Treyarch does however. Guess it's no surprise that the 4 most played Call Of Duty games on Xbox One right now are 3 Black Ops games by Treyarch and WWII by Sledgehammer.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
So this last operations supply drop stream is forever, right? I don't see an end date or anything. Thats fine, just wanting to make sure no real reason to rush thru in case it goes away. I did end up finishing all the supply drop streams, I have no idea why, I have 240 unopened loot crates or whatever. I'll open them up sometime but I don't really care about skins and stuff. I just play one or two games of blackout every day, and I'm really wondering why (other than the supply stream) since most of my games just involve me dropping into a zombie spot, killing a zombie, then getting killed by someone (but a zombie kill counts as a merit for the daily).

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So this last operations supply drop stream is forever, right? I don't see an end date or anything. Thats fine, just wanting to make sure no real reason to rush thru in case it goes away. I did end up finishing all the supply drop streams, I have no idea why, I have 240 unopened loot crates or whatever. I'll open them up sometime but I don't really care about skins and stuff. I just play one or two games of blackout every day, and I'm really wondering why (other than the supply stream) since most of my games just involve me dropping into a zombie spot, killing a zombie, then getting killed by someone (but a zombie kill counts as a merit for the daily).
I feel like, with previous contraband streams the majority of my playtime was probably just a single Blackout game so I could get my Daily Tier Skip so I could make it to the end of the stream. Now that there's no longer a time limit I haven't touched the game in days.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Likewise, it's becoming annoying how Treyarch always evolves the formula with tons of great elements in their games (replays, eSports modes, custom game modes, pointstreaks, Pick-10, team kills, class-based gameplay, etc.) then the next dev arrives and ignores every cool addition that they did to instead focus on their classic stuff. Treyarch evolved their formula when the other games pushed good ideas (killstreaks, advanced movements, etc.), Infinity Ward seems to enjoy ignore every positive change Treyarch does however. Guess it's no surprise that the 4 most played Call Of Duty games on Xbox One right now are 3 Black Ops games by Treyarch and WWII by Sledgehammer.

So we're just going to act like Infinite Warfare wasn't incinerated by the fanbase for being too similar to Black Ops III?