• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Again, fiction doesn't make it immune from propaganda.
I do concede your point, as movies do create (at least a sense of) knowledge but even heavily direct reiterations of events are dramatized for the sake of the good story. I do think people need to separate fact (real world) from fiction (as told by a fiction movie, book or game) more even if it means itself completely on a real thing.

But yeah using allegory or misframings is uncanny, much like David Cage appropriating black life movements and apartheid as "Androids"

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So will the next WW2 CoD blame Russia for the firebombing of Dresden or the Japanese internment camps?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
COD is indeed jingoistic garbage.

Interviewer: What's the story about?
Dev: A very relevant contemporary war story.
Interviewer: Is this game political?
Dev (with a straight face): No
Interviewer: Really?
Dev: No
Dev: No, we're just making games
Interviewer: That seems insane!
Dev (same straight face): It seems insane to get political to me

So you see, this game is totally not about a proxy war between Russia and US fought in the midst of a civil war in Syria. Because it's actually set in a fictional Middle Eastern country called Urzikstan, which is undergoing a civil war where Russia and US are fighting a proxy war and there's a power hungry Russian leader. But you see the leader is a military leader and not a political leader. So it's all 100% fiction and entirely non political obviously.

IW pls
giphy.gif

These developers are ridiculous and toothless, to say the least.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love that one of the death quotes is literally "the first casualty in war is the truth" and we have shit like this going down.

Classic.

Oct 25, 2017
Having not played the game? Is that still the case?

I don't expect much from a CoD campaign, but that would kill any interest I have completely.
The Russians we see are basically all under the leadership of an evil rogue
As far as Middle Eastern characters, there are two factions fighting the Russians,
1 good, 1 bad. Bad will basically go to any lengths to defeat their enemy, good faction swears off stuff like chemical weapons and leaving their boarders to fight elsewhere as its strictly about their home.
Farah was a pretty good character imo.

Got to admit it felt different to be using IEDs and personal drones strapped with explosives like it was nothing.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
There's a huge difference in the game narrative vs real life. In game, Russia killed fleeing civilians. In real life, it was against invading Iraq armory trying to escape from Kuwait back to Iraq. Pretty sure, allied forces had UN resolutions to remove Iraq occupation of Kuwait.
How did killing them achieve that goal? They were fleeing Kuwait. Wouldn't just letting them flee back to Iraq accomplish that goal?

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
It does, but also
the gun isn't loaded at all, and they don't lay a finger on the family or the guy himself (as in hurt them). The dialogue also keeps stressing how the captive is a child killer and a bad guy. The captive breaks when the player character starts loading the gun and they leave after that. And it's kind of glossed over after.

It's basically "sometimes you gotta do some shit you don't like so that the world can sleep in peace" message, rather than "are we the baddies?".
If you pull the trigger and the Butcher finds out you don't have a bullets, Price will give them to you. Than you are able to kill all three or no one. It's up to you.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty baller move to take an American war crime (yes its fiction in COD, but it's basically the same event with some minor tweaks), borrow the exact same name in English and Arabic, and then then balme it on Russia.

Astounding, even for COD, a series with a history of garbage politics.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018

Interviewer: What's the story about?
Dev: A very relevant contemporary war story.
Interviewer: Is this game political?
Dev (with a straight face): No
Dev: No
Dev: No, we're just making games
Interviewer: That seems insane!
Dev (same straight face): It seems insane to get political to me

So you see, this game is totally not about a proxy war between Russia and US fought in the midst of a civil war in Syria. Because it's actually set in a fictional Middle Eastern country called Urzikstan, which is undergoing a civil war where Russia and US are fighting a proxy war and there's a power hungry Russian leader. But you see the leader is a military leader and not a political leader. So it's all 100% fiction and entirely non political obviously.

IW pls
giphy.gif

kotaku.com

Despite Political Overtones, David Cage Says Detroit Is Mostly About Androids

Near the end of the Detroit: Become Human demo I saw during E3, renegade android Markus and his partner North incite a riot among recently freed androids. If you choose to set things on fire, North triumphantly declares, “Now the humans will have no choice but to listen to us.” Main character...

It's hard not to draw parallels to slavery, racism and events going on around the world. Despite this, however, director David Cage told me that he's not trying to make a game with an overtly political message, nor is he heavily drawing on real world history or politics as influences.

92e.png

Not heavily drawing on real world history. Not at all.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
With all the gaslighting Putin pushes on the world today, this seems fitting.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... you are 110% wrong OP. The game sets that area as the Russians bombing fleeing civilians from a city they captured. It has nothing to do with the Gulf War.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If you pull the trigger and the Butcher finds out you don't have a bullets, Price will give them to you. Than you are able to kill all three or no one. It's up to you.
I know, but in my case by the time I finished reloading he had already spilled everything. So they just left them there unharmed, yet the cutscene that followed later was made in a way as if I actually did hurt them.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Younger posters might be more familiar with the event from Jarhead.

Urzikstan isn't a real country.

They didn't even bother to make up a fake name for the city. It'd be like looking at Arma 2's Takistan and going "it has nothing to do with Pakistan, it's all fiction!"

Do a few letters' change leave you completely unable to see the parallels between the two? Posters are acting that a slight tweak in the name means you may as well be comparing Iraq to Krypton.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just irresponsible historical revisionism.

Yeah all those people who base their knowledge of history off of Call of Duty will be misinformed. If it wasn't for this, those individuals would have otherwise done diligent research.

It's a fictional game and letting it impact one's understanding of history is in itself ridiculous.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah all those people who base their knowledge of history off of Call of Duty will be misinformed. If it wasn't for this, those individuals would have otherwise done diligent research.

It's a fictional game and letting it impact one's understanding of history is in itself ridiculous.
A lot of our world and culture is shaped by fictional media. It's not ridiculous in the slightest.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
War is the perpetuation of politics by other means, politic is not a cursed word ffs. I dunno why all these studios always take it "I am afraid to be outed as a con/dem".

Take a look with what I/O Interactive fills every Hitman maps : crude dialogs about organs trafics, tax heavens, collusion between big business and organized crime, corrupted populists, classes struggle etc.

And because it's frankly stated and cleverly integrated to the story (like in any good novel or movie ), it's not moralistic. The moralism comes when you feel the need to point it and say "HEY LOOK HOW IT'S BAD".

Of course it's possible to problematise such subjects to implicate the player, but never do it to offer to you a moral certificate. Honesty and veracity are enough, let the players judge or ignore it. But as we say in french "don't try to hide the poo to the cat".

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Putting developers who use fictionalised depictions of real life events off the hook with no responsibility is ridiculous.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has 3.4 on metacritic user ratings now. Russians are pissed it seems and rightfully so.

Not sure why Infinity War went to the levels they did in depicting them in that light.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except they are using a real life events, even name them same and put them in their fictional backdrop. It's still complete bullshit.
They don't name them the same, it's nicknamed "highway of death" by the locals, it's not called Tariq Almawt.

Edit: Whoops, I missed that was a literal translation. Regardless it doesn't change a damn thing. This isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Evil Russians killing children evil Russians committing war crimes in conflicts they weren't even a part of in real life.

I'm shocked none of the reviews mentioned this jingoistic bullshit. Having just visited Moscow, it's an insulting depiction.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all fictional, why not have the US as the bad guys? There could be an American general instead of a Russian?
You mean like Modern Warfare 2?

Evil Russians killing children evil Russians committing war crimes in conflicts they weren't even a part of in real life.

I'm shocked none of the reviews mentioned this jingoistic bullshit. Having just visited Moscow, it's an insulting depiction.
It's a fictional country with a fictional conflict that is based loosely on Syria, which Russia has had its fingers in for decades.

luminosity

Oct 30, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with these devs? Did they decide to just copy and paste a bunch of controversial names into their game to make it more edgy?

The opposite. It seems like they wrote the game script using the real names, then pasted fictional names over some of them to present the veneer of being non-political and fictional.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean like Modern Warfare 2?

It's a fictional country with a fictional conflict that is based loosely on Syria, which Russia has had its fingers in for decades.
When will we see Americans being portrayed as the evil ones? Killing innocent civilians in Iraq?

There is no moral ambiguity, no levels of gray as the devs so proudly claim. Just typical rah rah American propaganda.

I'm not sure why I expected more from a COD game.

Globule

Banned
May 9, 2018
It's a disturbing mix of fictional and real events. Not clever at all and pretty distasteful if you ask me.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
When will we see Americans being portrayed as the evil ones? Killing innocent civilians in Iraq?

There is no moral ambiguity, no levels of gray as the devs so proudly claim. Just typical rah rah American propaganda.

I'm not sure why I expected more from a COD game.

Never. At best, they'll say "oh, its a guy or group that went rogue" who did it. These games have never not been propaganda.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean one of the missions is literally a copy of the Benghazi incident. Doesn't mean they're blaming the bad guys from the fictional country for it.
It does, but also
the gun isn't loaded at all, and they don't lay a finger on the family or the guy himself (as in hurt them). The dialogue also keeps stressing how the captive is a child killer and a bad guy. The captive breaks when the player character starts loading the gun and they leave after that. And it's kind of glossed over after.

It's basically "sometimes you gotta do some shit you don't like so that the world can sleep in peace" message, rather than "are we the baddies?".
Now I'm kind of expecting this game to have a mission where you fight gay mutant frogs caused by the previous administration putting chemicals in the water.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Also, can someone tell IW what a proxy war actually means?

Cause there have been a fair number of Russian soldiers (who in the game are clearly part of the state military) who get clearly killed by US/British soldiers in both present day and flashbacks.

That would be kinda a big fucking deal since, "A very relevant contemporary war story."
This was legitimately one of my biggest issues with the game's campaign and it's insane how the plot brushes that off after letting the player know in the VERY FIRST MISSION the international ramifications of killing Russian soldiers. I suppose cuz they're under the command of a rogue general it's okay? Still, the player has no way of knowing that until halfway in. So until then you're controlling an American killing a bunch of Russians with US UAVs and other drones wondering to yourself if this is going to cause an international incident. So dumb.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
Portraying Russians as video game baddies with fictional settings is very common.
What surprises me from the examples the new MW features, is the length the devs went to include real-life incidents. They could have made up stuff as easily but went with reality.
Quasi-reframing real-life guilty parties has a bad smell. Only understandable people are crying propaganda. Not American, so I don't know how "alive" propaganda in USA is.
Imagine mixing fictional story with real incidents but doing the heaviness of it justice akin to Spec Ops. Self criticism included. That would deserve a lot more credit.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Both the creator of any kind of fiction, text, film, game, whatever, and the audience bear responsibility. Given today's context and history between USA and Russia it really is problematic to depict Russians the way CoD does here. On the other hand we know this is fiction, we know we can't take anything for granted presented here to us without checking for real life facts. So I don't play this game and think "man, fuck those fucking Russians in my neighborhood. And could someone kill this Putin please?". I might think so for in-game characters and events but shouldn't transfer those thoughts into real life. But we all know that all kind of media probably since the beginning of humankind create and shape certain stereotypes.

We need to be constantly aware of that. Pointing out the issue here is a good thing. We can only learn from it.

And apart from the mentioned contextual issue, it's a shame that even from a purely artistic point of view so many writers won't learn that using the same villian again and again is boring. Imagine Dragonball where Son Goku is fighting Freezer from episode 1 to 300.

Potentially the best post in the thread.

I had a great time with this campaign. Are there some potentially problematic things in it? Sure, same as any game that is depicting war. At the end of the day, though, I'm an adult capable of critical thinking who can separate fiction from reality.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Wake me up when Call of Duty actually deals with America's war crimes, because that would be a bold direction