GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else seeing this in their Steam Library?

I may have missed some news on this, as it seems a bit surprising to me.

i2xEOav.png

Unlovedjew

Oct 26, 2017
theyve been moving this way for a while it seems. theyve been calling the mw2 seasons, "call of duty season x". i imagine this is to better communicate that warzone is now a platform and not tied to a singular yearly release?

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
Honestly all of Call of Duty being managed uder one app makes sense, so long as you can choose which games are installed.

Hazz3r

AVALANCHE
Nov 3, 2017
If they're moving to everything under 1 app, does that mean they're making the call once and for all that everything is going to run on the same engine? That is going to make it tough for the yearly releases to have any unique identity.

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
If they're moving to everything under 1 app, does that mean they're making the call once and for all that everything is going to run on the same engine? That is going to make it tough for the yearly releases to have any unique identity.

Yes, they already mentioned awhile back that moving forward, all of the games including those from Treyarch will run on the same IW engine.

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
I could maybe see COD releasing a campaign every year and then having one consistent multiplayer experience for awhile. Then again I'm dumb and don't play COD so please correct me if this makes zero sense.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
My one wish is that yearly Cod games are standalone titles again and not what they become post MW2019.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I could maybe see COD releasing a campaign every year and then having one consistent multiplayer experience for awhile. Then again I'm dumb and don't play COD so please correct me if this makes zero sense.
Some games are fundamentally different from the others despite being on the same engine like Treyarch's games which don't feature tactical sprint for example. There's also gunplay, sounds, playlists and killstreaks vs scorestreaks (though MW2 lets you pick). It could work but you'd probably need a single developer in charge of it for consistency's sake which I'm not a fan of. These games are for the better with different devs having their own spin on things.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Gotta feed Warzone forever.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Makes sense, the UI has been horrid this looms like its on a path to fix it.

Its absolutely makes sense for game pass users once every CoD title hits, I think this might be part of the plan we are seeing early due to thr delay.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
so we've gone from them trying to hide the Call of Duty name with Modern Warfare 2 (2009) to them hiding the Modern Warfare II (2022) name in 2023.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how long until they give up on the unified idea again because the game starts crumbling under the strain of it.

Hazz3r

AVALANCHE
Nov 3, 2017
so we've gone from them trying to hide the Call of Duty name with Modern Warfare 2 (2009) to them hiding the Modern Warfare II (2022) name in 2023.

Didn't we already have the whole discussion about the realisation that the Modern Warfare brand was actually stronger than Call of Duty. Like 5 years ago when they announce MW 2019.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I see they're still insisting on the "one launcher for everything" bullshit that ruined MW2019.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means MW3 will basically still be an "expansion" even if it's full priced.

I mean, it makes sense, no? The game is already sharing guns, operators, and more with MWII. Why not just make it the same client?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Call of Duty® on Steam

Welcome to Call of Duty® HQ, the home of Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II and Warzone™.
Call of Duty® HQ supports Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II and Call of Duty®: Warzone™.

Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II drops players into an unprecedented global conflict that features the return of the iconic Operators of Task Force 141.

Call of Duty®: Warzone™ is the massive free-to-play combat arena which features Battle Royales, Resurgence and DMZ.
So it's called Call of Duty HQ now?

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Wow, they made the UI/UX even worse. Honestly, that's impressive.
It's impressive just how truly shit the UI/UX work is in the game and now this launcher.
How the fuck did they go from the not good MW2019 launcher which was at least functional to this? The fact that anytime the host does anything kicks you out of whatever menu your in is still absurd.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
They should rename it to THE Call of Duty.

Or The game formerly know as Call of Duty.

Jun 5, 2023
This makes logical sense, but the real issue is that it just wouldn't make as much money as a yearly boxed release. Some people have been trained to make that yearly purchase by certain game franchises.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
Unexpected, but makes sense, the launcher was always called Call of Duty HQ, they are only making it official now. I thought the HQ plan was sidelined after the change from a expansion to a full 2023 release, but I guess they are going all in instead.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018

I feel like the games can still have a unique identity. Vanguard used the same engine as MW2019 and it plays/feels different than 2019 & MWII.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Makes sense if you search Call of Duty the plain name should be the most recent, just add the second title when the game is no longer the main one.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Fully expecting Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, and others to follow suit and just make the game into a platform with different SP and MP modes available inside of it, a la carte.

Techno