• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Taken from https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/dmq6t5/call_of_duty_modern_warfare_review_thread/

OpenCritic - 85 average - 100% recommended - 5 reviews

Critic Reviews
AusGamers - Crash - 8.5 / 10

For Modern Warfare though, it feels a bit more grounded in reality, seemingly having drawn inspiration from films like <b>Sicario</b>, <b>The Hurt Locker</b>, <b>American Sniper</b>, and <b>Zero Dark Thirty</b>.
COGconnected - Trevor Houston - 82 / 100

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare does everything fans of the franchise could ever want.
Daily Dot - Joseph Knoop - 4 / 5 stars

I never quite expected to like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare as much as I did, but here we are with a game that can mostly stand on its own merits
Daily Star - Jake Tucker - 4 / 5 stars

Call of Duty Modern Warfare is a tight shooter that hits most of the parts you expect from a AAA shooter, but some of its obsessions leave a bitter taste in the mouth.
Game Informer - Andrew Reiner - 8.8 / 10

Leveling up guns is ridiculously fun, and the breadth of modes keeps this experience from feeling repetitive. This is a game you can sink tons of time into
GameSpot - Kallie Plagge - 7 / 10

2019's Modern Warfare both draws from the original and lays a good foundation for the rest of the series, despite some thematic issues and co-op pitfalls.
Gameblog - Alix Dulac - French - 8 / 10

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is not just a reboot. The solo game is great, his multiplayer mode, with Gunfight, solid and efficient. The game lacks a bit of depth (more hours for the campaign in particular) to constitute the perfect picture. But not to the point of not being an indispensable part of your collection for this end of the year.
GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

Modern Warfare is fast and frenetic, setting a new benchmark for fidelity and high-pressure FPS action
GamingTrend - Griffin Dunn - Unscored

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare hearkens back to the series roots, once again putting gritty themes and realism on the forefront.
Hardcore Gamer - Kevin Dunsmore - 4.5 / 5

The classic Call of Duty: Modern Warfare trilogy remains one of the best trilogies in gaming history.
Hobby Consolas - David Martinez - Spanish - 90 / 100

Modern Warfare is one of the best war FPS of this generation thanks to a thrilling (yet controversial) campaign, great multiplayer in both coop and competitive modes, and a new game engine.
PC Gamer - 80 / 100

Modern Warfare evolves the series for the better, but it could be so much more.
PCGamesN - Jordan Forward - 8 / 10

While not every multiplayer addition is as good as it could be, Modern Warfare's campaign sets a new gold standard for the series that will be hard for sequels to match.Jordan Forward

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
oh, so they DID send review code out early to some outlets.

EDIT: as pointed out below, these reviews were put together by critics who'd been invited to a review event. (some reviews make this clear, others don't.)

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been really busy with The Outer Worlds but was able to get a few matches in. It's one of my favorites in years

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
These are very solid scores, but for some reason I was expecting higher for this entry. I guess COD is still COD, but we've come a long way since MW2 launched a decade ago to torrents of praise.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Those scores really don't match the review summaries.

I was kind of thinking the same, though I'm also in favor of the sites that use 10-point systems using a wider range of the scale, instead of good = 8+ and bad = 7 and below.

I heard GameSpot is trying this, and a 7 might sound appropriate for a solid COD game that delivers everything someone might expect but doesn't really push the envelop for the series?

That aside, even then some things don't seem to quite match up score-to-blurb.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Hahah I was thinking the same thing.
I got completely ghosted after being told it was coming. Then just no contact for like 2 weeks.
Same boat for a few of us across different platforms. I'm expecting emails coming in early tomorrow morning (and then those fun install times)

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
A more grounded campaign. Taking inspirations from Sicario and Hurt Locker..Music to my ears.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damned damned review events. I hate this crap.
I got code a bit earlier today but had already bought it. Which is fine NO ONE is owed code.
But review events are terrible ideas. Thats just my own opinion

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
The disparity between words and scores is really weird, both positive and negative.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
From the gamespot review:

"Kallie played Modern Warfare at a review event hosted by Activision. She completed the campaign on Normal difficulty in around five hours, spending around eight trying all the multiplayer game types and another two in Spec Ops. The original Modern Warfare is among her favorite games."

So basically they played the game for one-two days (for 15 hours? probably two days right?) in a special event?

I don't know if I like this method of reviewing. But who am I...
Still trying to decide if I dip or not on PC...

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, COD BLOPS 2 is one of the best games i've ever played, but got just 81 MC back in 2012

That's far lower than I thought for a fan favourite entry. I guess reviews for this series are just campaign + some dabbling in multi. Reviews are pretty useless for multiplayer games a lot of the time.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Will buy in like a year on sale to run through the campaign, I guess

Though I wouldve much preferred a sequel to Infinite Warfare

Oct 27, 2017

"Kallie played Modern Warfare at a review event hosted by Activision. She completed the campaign on Normal difficulty in around five hours, spending around eight trying all the multiplayer game types and another two in Spec Ops. The original Modern Warfare is among her favorite games."

So basically they played the game for one-two days (for 15 hours? probably two days right?) in a special event?

It's not an RPG. That's honestly more than enough time to form a judgement on the game

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Almost all companies have stopped it as its not even close to normal. Most of them time including their net connections and so forth and aren't representative of actual at home gameplay.
Which is why IGN and now it looks like a couple others refused to do a review based on it.

Two companies I work with consistently actually made it clear the preview event coverage I did a couple days prior at a gathering should in no way shape or form be considered in the review as it wasn't at home. And as PCgamer alludes to their version wasn't even balanced or complete(possibly). They state that in the sidebar or at least discuss all the issues in it.

The PC Gamer sidebar note about a mode
" It's a neat conceit designed to be heavily replayable, but the version I played at the review event was in rough shape. Enemies constantly spawned behind us in areas we'd already cleared, we never had enough ammo, and the balance felt totally off. Almost no groups could finish a single mission (mine included). We didn't have much fun, but it's easy to see where it can be improved. "

But as folks play it we will of course get more impressions/reviews to flesh out whats up.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Those scores really don't match the review summaries.

The disparity between words and scores is really weird, both positive and negative.

Agreed. First thing I noticed. Its odd

Are y'all doing what I did, and accidentally not realizing that the name ABOVE the quote is the one that quote is attributed to in the OP, not the one below it? Because I thought the same til I realized my mistake lol

Oct 27, 2017
Some have secondary missions that extend the campaign, took me around 10hs Infinite by completing every side mission.

Oh yeah I totally forgot that in Infinite and Black Ops 2. I liked those.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think around eight hours would be ideally what I'd want. That just doesn't seem to be their design philosophy for the main story thrust, it's almost bizarre though how clockwork precise they have gotten it down to to get it around five hours consistently though.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
oh, so they DID send review code out early to some outlets.

EDIT: as pointed out below, these reviews were put together by critics who'd been invited to a review event. (some reviews make this clear, others don't.)

Except if you're an influencer making videos for trophies who have the game for a week or so.