• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
yud66mss31351.jpg

This just dropped after an update that happened a moment ago. They're also going to be adding more restrictive filters and watching over racist names and banning them now.

Felt like it deserved its own thread because it's the first game I see doing something like that. I hope more follow suit. Good on IW, there also already people crying about this change now...

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome stuff.

My niece plays the mobile version, and sent me this image which she said she got when she loaded it up.

IMG20200604WA0015.jpg

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This is good.
At the same time, I'm still not convinced. Let's check in again in a few months.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
That's actually really cool, especially for a game series that attracts the kind of people that are, um, "critical" of a movement like BLM.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa that's insane. All those MAGA tags I see when playing are about to be salty af.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Awesome.

Hope they get REALLY serious about removing all the racist names/clan tags and stuff, too. Seen more than enough of that shit.

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Think of all the right wing racists fuming every time they have to see that before every match. Love it.

And yeah they need to crack down on inappropriate clan tags. Always been a problem for CoD.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Let's see if they do the same if we see another protests in Hong Kong.

People really have short memory.

Kemono

ā–² Legend ā–²
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great move.

I would love to see more mp games do something like this.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Holy shit the amount of salt this will generate would have paid all the salaries in ancient Roman Empire.

Edit: Somehow i don't think they'll do anything about HK though.

matcha pocky

Oct 27, 2017
Badass. I imagine a lot of their players are gonna be pissed.
all you need to do is look on the modernwarfare subreddit and see how many racists there are crying about the latest season being delayed

Some really great moves being done by IW here tho, props to them. Must be scary for them considering their player base

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
putting this in front of all your players never even thought this would be an option. This feels pretty significant to me.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Ah, I love stuff like that because it continiuously confronts people with issues they are actively trying to distance themself from.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
This is good to see, but it feels....I dunno.... odd? for want of a word, that this is before the beginning of a game where you just run around massacring people online.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
It's a great message, though odd for a murder military glorification game.

Though, if it makes alt-right crybabies stop playing, that's a plus.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Sadly we already know the truth to that. Until it becomes expedient for them, they will not. Frankly it's really disappointing to see how little the rest of the world embraced the plight of Hong Kong.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly we already know the truth to that. Until it becomes expedient for them, they will not. Frankly it's really disappointing to see how little the rest of the world embraced the plight of Hong Kong.

That is why I don't get why people want to hear anything from these companies. Everything they do is calculated ahead.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

I'm pretty sure it's still on going.

www.straitstimes.com

Hong Kong protesters seek sanctuary overseas as noose tightens

HONG KONG (AFP) - Hong Kong protester Crystal has yet to tell her parents she has fled overseas to seek asylum in Canada, one of a growing number of residents choosing self-exile as Beijing tightens control.. Read more at straitstimes.com.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many sad snowflakes having their safe space invaded :'(

Also, if you play cod, change your clan tag to ACAB or BLM šŸ„°

The salt killing someone while having that is beautiful

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Goos for them. If there are idiots out there that would be so offended by this that they would stop playing the game, I would rather those folks not be playing violent videogames in the first place.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I should never have taken this long, or this level of unrest, for them to get serious about policing racist names.

Good on them for finally doing it, but really, it's about fucking time.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That's probably more powerful than any other PR a video game company can do to support the cause.

People can ignore a tweet, but you can't skip a loading screen (unless you're on PC with SSD or next gen consoles that aren't out yet).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably more powerful than any other PR a video game company can do to support the cause.

People can ignore a tweet, but you can't skip a loading screen (unless you're on PC with SSD or next gen consoles that aren't out yet).

Even with an SSD From what I can tell watching others you still see it for a good bit.

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
So many sad snowflakes having their safe space invaded :'(

Also, if you play cod, change your clan tag to ACAB or BLM šŸ„°

The salt killing someone while having that is beautiful

Sorry I initially misunderstood your post. I agree with you!

I would even up the game; at the booting of the game have players show an option:
"which of the following is currently important:
'black lives matter' versus 'all lives matter' ?
If a person selects 'all lives matter' then another screen comes up. "this weekend for every point you score or every time you die in the game, Activision donates 1 cent to black lives matter, thank you for your support".
And then, every time they do score a point, the screen turns black you see "Black lives matter" and you hear the Call of Duty voice yell "Black Lives Matter!!!"

I wish I could see their faces :(

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Great message and all but meanwhile this how the average MW lobby looks like:

fl0jaifqsi251.jpg