• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The leaked list of dailies had "win a gulag match" which sounds intriguing...

It doesn't seem to mean "win a game where final circle is gulag" so I wonder if there is a mini mode or something within gulag.

Would be funny if they had it like the thunderdome...two people enter, one person leaves.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

It doesn't seem to mean "win a game where final circle is gulag" so I wonder if there is a mini mode or something within gulag.

Would be funny if they had it like the thunderdome...two people enter, one person leaves.

It seems that it is the revive system, whoever wins a 1x1 match in Gulag will be able to return to the game.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

I think that is actually what it is, in the leaked info dump a couple months back the gulag was mentioned as a revive mechanic. Basically if you die you get sent to the gulag and 1v1 another person who had died, and winner gets to respawn

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think that is actually what it is, in the leaked info dump a couple months back the gulag was mentioned as a revive mechanic. Basically if you die you get sent to the gulag and 1v1 another person who had died, and winner gets to respawn
nolifebr ah ok, thanks both, had completely missed that! Interesting!

I wonder why it is on the same map then? For space saving etc it could be a separate map load...

If you won 1 v 1 and have to physically exit the gulag then there will be tons of campers nearby trying to farm kills.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Free to play and standalone means I'll give it a shot.
This, basically.

A well-made BR plus MW's gunplay sounds like a pretty satisfying combination.
Though it'll be hard to top the general playfeel and movement of Apex.
Could vehicles give it an edge? Never played Blackout.

I wonder why it is on the same map then? For space saving etc it could be a separate map load...

If you won 1 v 1 and have to physically exit the gulag then there will be tons of campers nearby trying to farm kills.

Sounds alright. You could get your squad to roll up, take out the campers and bust you out.
If you don't want the hassle of a potential "extra life" you just hold the L and die/quit.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

According to the datamined thread in the subreddit, there are two ways to get out of the Gulag.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the combat in New MW could make this BR mode really interesting but I wonder if they will tweak the damage? Pinging people from the other side of the map will be real. Also, drop all the killstreaks. Someone mentioning UAV had me nearly throw up.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds alright. You could get your squad to roll up, take out the campers and bust you out.
If you don't want the hassle of a potential "extra life" you just hold the L and die/quit.

Yeah I guess so. I was thinking solo but then there wouldn't be respawns!
According to the datamined thread in the subreddit, there are two ways to get out of the Gulag.

Ok cool, to be honest it could set up some interesting encounters.
I would say that Gulag is underground, so it won't take up any space on the surface.

I was thinking memory space on the consoles :) but it's sort of the same thing :)

according to the leaked map (i.e. flying the camera away from the stadium) the gulag is like a big circular fort, so very much above ground (there might be more below I don't know).

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
The Gulag sounds cool - I wonder if they do anything to prevent people hanging around nearby it to pick off people that come out? maybe it just has a few different exits.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
according to the leaked map (i.e. flying the camera away from the stadium) the gulag is like a big circular fort, so very much above ground (there might be more below I don't know).
Ah, I see, thank you.

The Gulag sounds cool - I wonder if they do anything to prevent people hanging around nearby it to pick off people that come out? maybe it just has a few different exits.
What if they jumppad/rocketjump you into the air to fly somewhere with a wingsuit xD

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I see, thank you.

What if they jumppad/rocketjump you into the air to fly somewhere with a wingsuit xD

Probably some helicopter dropoff to random location, like when you spawn into a map, would solve that.
I'm sure they have a workable solution, whatever it may be.

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if you got a little cutscene of your character either
1. running out of the cells to an AI helicopter on the main level that randomly goes across the map for you to jump out of
2. Or they recreate the original MW2 Gulag escape

Gulag is already in the map as a cool feature,
this mode would just be in the cellblock underneath.
The Gulag is massive
latest

latest

latest

Last edited:

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It should be announced today, if the release is set for tomorrow, right?

Anyway, here's a comparison between Warzone and Blackout maps:

p57ncnwn2fh41.jpg

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the evidence for tomorrow is a bit shaky. People are basing it off of the number of weekly challenges in the game files and trying to relate it to the end date of Season 2 but the BR mode may not even follow the same seasons if it's a separate download?

Even though I'm still hoping for this week, this is the most convincing one yet in my opinion: https://www.reddit.com/r/modernwarfare/comments/f518m4/potential_release_date_for_battle_royal/

Verdansk is the name of the BR map and this is a picture of "downtown Verdansk" with squads fighting and it's dated "3/3/2020 - 1100 Hours."

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed that this is a F2P thing or not yet?

What level of confirmation are you looking for?

- Absolutely nothing is confirmed by Activision or their developers.
- There's a guy on Twitter who's been leaking a ton of information on it who's claiming that it will be F2P.
- Most of the information that's been coming out is sourced through datamining, so there's very little info out there beyond what's in the MW game files (weapon types, game rule set, map info, etc).

Oct 27, 2017
Would be cool if you got a little cutscene of your character either
1. running out of the cells to an AI helicopter on the main level that randomly goes across the map for you to jump out of
2. Or they recreate the original MW2 Gulag escape

Gulag is already in the map as a cool feature,
this mode would just be in the cellblock underneath.
The Gulag is massive
latest

latest

latest

The set pieces in this game were on another level, loved how crazy it was.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like the evidence for tomorrow is a bit shaky. People are basing it off of the number of weekly challenges in the game files and trying to relate it to the end date of Season 2 but the BR mode may not even follow the same seasons if it's a separate download?

Even though I'm still hoping for this week, this is the most convincing one yet in my opinion: https://www.reddit.com/r/modernwarfare/comments/f518m4/potential_release_date_for_battle_royal/

Verdansk is the name of the BR map and this is a picture of "downtown Verdansk" with squads fighting and it's dated "3/3/2020 - 1100 Hours."
That's been in the game since launch, they wouldn't have known the release date then.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I think the combat in New MW could make this BR mode really interesting but I wonder if they will tweak the damage? Pinging people from the other side of the map will be real. Also, drop all the killstreaks. Someone mentioning UAV had me nearly throw up.

i´m actually hoping for Hardcore mode in this, single shot kills and no HUD

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

I mean..... literally the first thing you see booting up MW is a video of season 2 battle royale. There are tons of references in the files to challenges ties to season 2. I cannot see how they would not follow the same season dates... at least for now.

This is not something new. If it's not tomorrow it's because they are running into problems/bugs/whatever and they are forced
to postpone again.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Same. It sounds interesting but it also sounds like 3 or 4 too many systems. The whole revive token/gulag/1v1/prison break thing is nuts

I kinda like the idea of it. It sounds like it's just the Apex/Fortnite revive system but only half the revived people make it back into the match (if they win their 1v1). Seems like a good way to keep you invested after death while still letting the total number of players keep decreasing from circle to circle. Apex can get frustrating sometimes when a lot of revives are happening and you're constantly running into full squads in late circles instead of squads that are short handed.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
My only worry is that they're making it waaaaay too complex for it's own good.

Same feeling I have. I think a classic BR only mode without killstreaks, plunder, prison, etc... is what's going to be the big ask if it's not included.

So many elements that just don't make sense at this point in time. I hope it does after a full reveal. I just don't know what to expect at this point. Let's say you get placed with one guy wanting missions, one all about plunder and two others just wanting battles and br. I see a lot of angry teammates and possibility of some team killing going on. Like what is the end game of a match in this, winning or all the other stuff?

I'm also curious what the length of a match is going to be. The prison thing sounds time consuming on it's own let alone a server of 200 not factoring in respawns. The beauty of Apex is a match is only been around 15 minutes with respawns.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they are trying more stuff. I'm kind of burnt out on the strict BR and these changes all sound interesting.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue with "killstreaks" has always been who gets them...people that are playing well. It always turns into one team or one player getting a ton of consecutive kills and running away with things. If that was the mechanic in a BR mode it would be horrible.

In this case, it sounds like you'll be able to "buy" some of the "killstreaks" with looted currency and none of it will be dependent on actually getting kills (although I imagine that will get you currency too).

Perks are fine too if they're balanced. Apex's characters all have perks and abilities and, while there's definitely a meta in that game, I wouldn't call it overly unbalanced.

I'm looking forward to CoD potentially shaking up the genre a bit. I've enjoyed PUBG, Fortnite, Blackout, Apex, and even Firestorm but with the exception of Fortnite and Apex, the genre certainly could use some fresh ideas. If this is going to be their marquee F2P product on PC/Consoles, I'm sure they'll pivot quickly if something isn't working so I'm not too worried about the long run here...just hoping we get something new and interesting.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
My biggest issue with "killstreaks" has always been who gets them...people that are playing well. It always turns into one team or one player getting a ton of consecutive kills and running away with things. If that was the mechanic in a BR mode it would be horrible.

In this case, it sounds like you'll be able to "buy" some of the "killstreaks" with looted currency and none of it will be dependent on actually getting kills (although I imagine that will get you currency too).

Perks are fine too if they're balanced. Apex's characters all have perks and abilities and, while there's definitely a meta in that game, I wouldn't call it overly unbalanced.

I'm looking forward to CoD potentially shaking up the genre a bit. I've enjoyed PUBG, Fortnite, Blackout, Apex, and even Firestorm but with the exception of Fortnite and Apex, the genre certainly could use some fresh ideas. If this is going to be their marquee F2P product on PC/Consoles, I'm sure they'll pivot quickly if something isn't working so I'm not too worried about the long run here...just hoping we get something new and interesting.
I can see people being worried about Killstreaks but if you think about it you would need to rack up alot of plunder to get a good one or do you take a chance and deposit that in the bank if you can even get to it. I think thier will be alot of tradeoffs while the circle is pushng people in and not alot of time maybe. Well just have to wait and see though.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point with everything that has leaked and people even getting to the mode. We're all going to be playing full matches before it's revealed lol.