• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? They got what they deserved for trusting twitter accounts, bugs, and game code. This hasn't even been teased.

In fairness, it was teased starting last Tuesday when they put a fifth pillar on the home screen of MW that said "Classified" and an intro video that clearly shows a Battle Royale mode.

This does explain why Activision has been rapidly striking youtube channels and taking down videos on Twitter though.

The biggest mistake they made was patching the game mode in behind the scenes four weeks ahead of launch on a PC release. Obviously it was going to get datamined to hell and back when you put the Classified banner up, so I'm not sure what they thought would happen. I wonder if they were originally hoping to turn it on sooner but they have to take another couple weeks to get some finishing touches right before they can launch now.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Given the sensitivity of the COD community, I can see a mid-March announcement not going over super well - especially if they are going to let content creators play the game early. This seems like the sort of thing that would have been killer as a stealth release, but I guess there's no good way to do that with dataminers out there. I personally don't care when they decide to release this thing, but with all the leaks out there, I'd love to at least have a trailer, or something official showing the mode off.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Disappointing but expected, it should have arrived with the season 2, otherwise they'll give some time for the newest content pack shine.

But start marketing with creators a month early doesn't seem to be a good idea to be honest.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Given the sensitivity of the COD community, I can see a mid-March announcement not going over super well - especially if they are going to let content creators play the game early. This seems like the sort of thing that would have been killer as a stealth release, but I guess there's no good way to do that with dataminers out there. I personally don't care when they decide to release this thing, but with all the leaks out there, I'd love to at least have a trailer, or something official showing the mode off.

Agreed, they're now at the point where the story is running away from them. A stealth release would've been awesome but now we're looking at potentially three more weeks of speculation and data mining which is only going to muddy public opinion further. I'm guessing Activision is going to stick to the plan and just stealth release when they're ready but at this point I think it would make more sense to put out a quick statement about how MW is getting a BR mode with a few key data points/buzzwords (200 players with a unique CoD twist on the genre) and tell people to come back for more information on a specific date.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mid March isn't what I expected. Thought they might have seen how Apexs launch went and try to copy that with the surprise launch.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
the way it seems positioned seemed to be as a "season 2 surprise" given how it's teased, and the classified thing in the menu. I do kinda wonder if the beta period that was mentioned at some point earlier, will be for people who own MW and the game doesn't go F2P proper until March.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer. Was hoping it was tomorrow.

Putting that cinematic and the classified menu option before an announcement was stupid.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the worst designed marketing events ever. Sucks for the person in Activision's marketing department that thought this would be their equivalent to Fortnite's black hole event.

Squandered what could have been an enormous activation.

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Mid march would be disappointing especially with how much the menu and opening cutscene have been teasing - seems like the sort of move you make a week beforehand, not a month

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit megathread makes it seem a little too complex for its own good. It sounds like a mix of BR and Tarkov. Your main objective seems to be to gather plunder above all else and then deposit or extract with it. But then there's a radioactive ash cloud that pushes everybody together like a BR game. So does becoming the last one standing matter at all? That's on top of the killstreaks, perks, and gulag system.

I'll still give it a try but I have a feeling there's going to be plenty of confusion with the reveal. Everyone is expecting a BR but this seems to be something else entirely.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I choose to believe it's dropping tomorrow. Mid March release with streamers getting to play it this week would be the stupidest marketing tactic ever.

"Hey guys you know how Apex made such a huge splash by shadow dropping? And remember how Fortnite's sudden Chapter 2 launch generated so much attention?

Yeah well let's not do any of those. Instead we'll hype our new mode by having players watch it but not able to play it for 3 whole weeks."

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I choose to believe it's dropping tomorrow. Mid March release with streamers getting to play it this week would be the stupidest marketing tactic ever.

"Hey guys you know how Apex made such a huge splash by shadow dropping? And remember how Fortnite's sudden Chapter 2 launch generated so much attention?

Yeah well let's not do any of those. Instead we'll hype our new mode by having players watch it but not able to play it for 3 whole weeks."

I don't think streamers are going to play it live this week. They're being invited to get familiar with it and record footage for YouTube videos that I imagine would be embargoed until launch. Apex did this same thing, but no one knew it was happening because EA didn't tease it and put all the game files into a game with a 10+ million user base ahead of time.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think streamers are going to play it live this week. They're being invited to get familiar with it and record footage for YouTube videos that I imagine would be embargoed until launch. Apex did this same thing, but no one knew it was happening because EA didn't tease it and put all the game files into a game with a 10+ million user base ahead of time.
They've already been inviting streamers like Dr. Disrespect to play it for some time now. Maybe they're inviting more streamers this week to play it but that seems like a great way for all the info on it to leak.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Mid March would be so so dumb after teasing it with the intro and the extra button, but It's 100% the kind of stupid shit I would expect Activision to pull.

jtar86

Nov 5, 2017
TimTheTatman pretty much confirmed it today in his stream. He said he's planning on going back to modern warfare in the near future but was trying not to break NDA. He said he's taking Friday off and doing short streams this week so I doubt it's this week.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
TimTheTatman pretty much confirmed it today in his stream. He said he's planning on going back to modern warfare in the near future but was trying not to break NDA. He said he's taking Friday off and doing short streams this week so I doubt it's this week.
Doc went back to Modern Warfare as well. When it's out who know but the big guys are getting ready for it.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Pls dont be March
ztjhl6x0

Oct 26, 2017
Would love for it to drop this week, but I'm not gonna be mad about missing a launch date that was declared by fucking dataminers, lol.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can see YouTubers getting early access to do tutorial videos, map guides and pub stomping vids.

I can't see them organising an early publicly viewed session because it would be too annoying to see, and too hard to sort the logistics (of 100 or 200 players).

But who knows!?

Also imho, knowing how thirsty gamers are, putting in the menu option and the teaser video a whole month before launch was a bit much...with modern attention spans even a week is pushing it...

Onliner

Oct 29, 2017
Not the most credible source.

Eh maybe they mean 'we were told', like the headline states. No point in endlessly speculating when it's barely been acknowledged officially. Right now everyone's grasping at straws to justify hype. I don't expect it this month and if there's evidence of streamers flying out for it I wouldn't expect it until after that either

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
We haven't even got a teaser tweet or anything so I highly doubt it's dropping today. I also doubt it's this week since Fortnite's new season is dropping on Thursday so I doubt they would want to compete with that.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
We haven't even got a teaser tweet or anything so I highly doubt it's dropping today. I also doubt it's this week since Fortnite's new season is dropping on Thursday so I doubt they would want to compete with that.
Or, devil's advocate, maybe they DO want to compete with that.

I don't think it's coming out today, though. At most I think we'll get a teaser or trailer.