• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
call of duty campaigns aren't exactly anything to phone home about but this is pretty shitty from an future archive point of view, like if the servers for patches goes down are we suddenly screwed out of being able to play it if we don't have the patch already installed?

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Not buying the game now then, shame because the beta was fun.

Not getting a single player game that doesn't work offline

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So people who don't have internet and buy this game will be screwed. I know that % is extremely small though.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
So if someone wants to play the single player of this game in 10, 15 or 20 years when the patch is no longer online and they have a perfectly functioning hardware and game disc, they won't be able to? Just to stop some people from playing it earlier? Sounds reasonable.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why this is something to be happy about. I understand why publishers would want to crush any means of playing a game before the street date, but this is bad for consumers who would be able to obtain an early copy, through one way or another.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I mean, look, you could see this coming a mile away, since the last time SHG made a Call Of Duty, Advanced Warfare, Glen immediately went on Twitter and started bemoaning the leaks. So this time around, they put in a one time online patch that is required to play. Thus, no more leaks from people paying $300 for an early copy.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Hm, all of the Xbox One X review units came with a digital copy of Call of Duty: WWII as part of like 15+ games to install on the unit to test its power, presumably most sites will use this code to review the full game. Wonder if Activision/SHG will be able to whitelist gamertags or something in order to get the patch to critics?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Very dirty if true. There's no good reason for requiring this in a game just because people might get early copies. It didn't hurt past CoDs.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
call of duty campaigns aren't exactly anything to phone home about but this is pretty shitty from an future archive point of view
Call of Duty campaigns are consistently excellent FPS experiences that rank among the best in their genres for creativity and ambition. In my opinion, at least.

On one hand, modern games are extremely reliant on post-release updates for bug fixes and performance stability. That's the norm now. But it's a terrible precedent for these games to be literally unable to function without those patches on a console.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is garbage. First of all, it's not the consumer's fault if a product is released onto shelves before the release date. And then you paid 60$ for a broken product because it doesn't work. I hope this is all stated on the box, otherwise I'm not sure if this is even legal lol.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
whats shitty about this is that its not the case on XB1. The entire reason for the patch is that the game itself comes with the 4K assets for Pro, you cant not have them even if you have a base machine, apparently that is 80 gigs. Whereas from what i've heard, the base XB1 game is 40 gigs and the patch downloads separately, only for XB1X users. Why cant they do that with pro

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
This sucks.

Of course it helps against breaking the street date but people buying the game and not even being able to play singleplayer is stupid.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I know that the percentage of people who would buy this game just to play offline single player is very low, but it is still really crappy that what you purchased at the store may not even work for you. I do not agree with this practice and hopefully other developers do not follow suit.

Does anyone have an old AOL trial disc laying around. I got my early copy, and my body is ready but i can't get single player to load.

Last edited:

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand Activision's reasoning to do it, as a company who truly believe in their single player experience (quality aside), previous comments are right when they worry about the future. In ten or so years time, if I wanted to come back and play the unpatched title I'd be unable to. That sucks just a little a lot. Yet again, which knows what the ecosystem of tomorrow looks like - we could see streaming services everywhere, negating this as an issue. For today though, this sucks.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting - makes preservation difficult if not impossible. Penalise retailers that break street dates not your customers

ps3ud0 8)

Oct 27, 2017
So wait my friend who doesn't have wifi will not be able to play the game? I hope this is just for early copies and not when it is released.