• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Credit for OT: AntiMacro

38175843556_507fd85ddf_o.jpg

Platform: PC/PS4/XB1 | Release Date: 11/3/17 | Developer: Sledgehammer Games/Raven Software | Publisher: Activision | Genre: FPS | Rating: M
The 14th outing for the Call of Duty franchise returns to the series roots in World War II, removing the advanced movement systems found in past games and keeping boots on the ground. This is the second game Sledgehammer Games has created for the franchise, having previously worked on Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and it retains the now-expected three-pack of Call of Duty modes: Campaign - Multiplayer - Nazi Zombies.

Eric Hirshberg CEO of Activision said:
Call of Duty: WWII is the right game at the right time for our fans. Returning the franchise to its gritty, boots on the ground, military roots was a big opportunity and a big responsibility. We were determined to deliver an unforgettable World War II experience, and I think we have.

37520062244_a0b2d301c2_o.jpg

Campaign

As Ronald Daniels, a fresh recruit in the US First Infantry Division, gamers deploy in the European theater alongside a squad of AI-controlled teammates each sporting a unique ability that can be activated when their skill meter is charged - sped up by killing enemies or completing objectives. Zussman, for example, can throw the player a health pack, while others provide ammunition, spot enemies, or call in mortar strikes. The game's difficulty is ramped up thanks to non-regenerating health, a gameplay change that makes Zussman's ability even more important on the higher difficulty levels.

Starring Josh Duhamel and a handful of NFL players, the campaign starts out storming the beaches of Normandy and covers key battles across Europe.

37520062024_62bd6fd5d6_o.jpg

Nazi Zombies

Nazi Zombies provides gamers with their co-op fix, set in the village of Mittelburg with players - as one of the Monuments Men/Women - running afoul of the undead menace while trying to track down stolen art from European museums. The zombies this time around are creations from a Nazi research lab, bolted together undead flesh and machinery that exists only to kill or be killed.

Multiplayer

The bread and butter of the series, Call of Duty multiplayer is probably a top 10 reason for a drop in workplace productivity in offices around the world. Returning to 'boots on the ground' combat, Sledgehammer also provides a few tweaks to the formula: Headquarters, War mode, and Divisions.

Headquarters is - as planned - a shared social space for players to log into and explore while they interact with other players. Shoot alongside other players in the shooting range, check out the Scorestreak Training Tower, and receive Orders and Contracts - quests to complete for experience and other rewards. Players earn experience - used strictly for their social rank - within the Headquarters for completing small tasks like shooting 250 targets on the range or finding the three balls hidden within the map. Headquarters is currently a solo experience, following matchmaking issues on launch day and continuing into the following days, but Sledgehammer is expected to re-enable the 48-person social space in the future.

Players into retro games should hit the beach and find the classic games tent where you can, for a small amount of Armory Credits, play classic games like Barnstorming, Chopper Command, or River Raid.

War mode is a multi-stage mission that brings Battlefield 1's Operations mode to mind. One team is tasked with missions like taking the beach or destroying radio equipment, while the opposition tries to hold them off long enough for reinforcements to arrive. If your team is unable to advance, the mission ends in failure. Complete the mission, however, and you'll move on to the second step. Finish all your assigned missions before time runs out and your team is victorious.

Divisions redefines the Create-A-Class system, forcing players to choose one of five divisions: Airborne, Armored, Expeditionary, Infantry, and Mountain. Each division offers a number of unique perks earned by leveling up.

Airborne:
I - SMG suppressor - attach a suppressor to an SMG, cloaking your weapon fire from appearing on the minimap
II - longer sprint - self-explanatory but with the lack of unlimited sprint it's an appealing trait to have
III - clamber faster - also easily understood, but perhaps underestimated until used in the field of battle
IV - increased sprint speed - ok these are all pretty easy to understand...

Armored:
I - LMG bipod - mount your LMG to a suitable surface for greatly increased recoil management, at the expense of mobility
II - immune to shellshock - no more getting dazed by close calls and tactical grenades
III - take less fire damage - I don't have the strategy guide, but if I had to guess...
IV - take less explosive damage - ditto

Expeditionary:
I - shotgun incendiary shells - OMG SO FUN...also you will get so many hate messages
II - tactical + lethal equipment - offers flexibility other divisions lack
III - throw faster and farther while sprinting - self explanatory
IV - resupply equipment from downed enemies - the return of the Scavenger perk

Infantry:
I - rifle bayonet - adds a nasty bayonet charge to your sprint
II - +1 primary attachment - bigger magazine or faster shooting? whynotboth.gif
III - extra magazines - carry more bullets, shoot more bullets
IV - move faster while aiming down sights - movement is key!

Mountain:
I - sniper sharpshooter - focus your aim before shooting
II - invisible to enemy recon aircraft while moving - sniping's no fun when they know where you are
III - hidden to player-controlled streaks - never fear a strafing run again
IV - silent movement - be silent, but deadly

In addition to the Division, players can choose from 21 Basic Training perks to provide additional functionality to their loadout. Take Requisitions, for example, and your Scorestreaks won't reset on death, but cost more to get and can only be used once per match. Not a great choice if you're always on top of the leaderboard at the end, but appealing for those who struggle to string together kills.

Basic Training:
Espionage - Enemy Scorestreaks and enemies you damage appear on mini-map.
Launched - Take Launcher as Secondary, and resupply it from enemies killed without explosives.
Requisitions - Scorestreaks do not reset on death, but cost more and can only be earned once.
Instincts - Warning when targeted off-screen, and detect enemy explosive equipment.
Rifleman - Take two Primary Weapons, and swap weapons faster.
Hustle - Reload faster and while sprinting.
Lookout - Enemy targets appear from further away, and increased mini-map coverage.
Gunslinger - Fire guns while sprinting and diving.
Ordnance - Cheaper Scorestreaks, and ability to re-roll your own Care Packages.
Primed - Additional Primary Attachment, and flinch less when shot.
Undercover - Killed enemy death locations hidden, and reticles do not change when targeted.
Serrated - Take Melee Weapons as Primary, and melee faster. Bonus: two throwing knives and two tacticals
Duelist - Take akimbo pistols as Secondary. Bonus: extra pistol ammo
Forage - Resupply bullets from killed enemies, and swap weapons faster.
Bang - Take a Mk 2 Frag as a Lethal and an extra piece of Tactical equipment.
Flanker - While moving quickly, hidden from enemy Recon Aircraft. Bonus: delayed detonation of enemy mines.
Scoped - While aiming down sights, have less idle sway and move faster.
Energetic - Sprint again sooner, and no damage from falling.
Hunker - Early grenade warning, and take less explosive damage. Bonus: Fuse of Mk 2 frag is reset on throwback.
Inconspicuous - Quieter movement, and walk fast while crouched.
Concussed - Take a British N° 69 as a Tactical and an extra piece of Lethal equipment.

REVIEWS
OpenCritic:81
MetaCritic: PC - N/S, PS4 - 82, Xbox One - 87

38175766036_500d8ac92f_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else who doesn't really give shit about loot boxes? I mean as long as i get my moneys worth from base game without spending extra on MTs, whats the problem? IW didn't have any problems with loot boxes either. In Iw at least loot boxes improve my enjoyment of the game since there is always something fun to unlock even on long term.

Anyways does anyone know when review embargo is up?

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else who doesn't really give shit about loot boxes? I mean as long as i get my moneys worth from base game without spending extra on MTs, whats the problem? IW didn't have any problems with loot boxes either.

Past few games have been mighty pay to win with MTs. That, and it's introducing progression into it, becoming much more intrusive.

When it's cosmetics it isn't a big deal, like Overwatch. But don't implement weapons and progression through it.

If you don't mind it that's cool, but to me it feels really scummy when they have it implemented in ways like this.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind lootboxes as long as they just have cosmetic items, and you can earn them by playing the game, like in Overwatch.

The only lootbox type thing the does have gameplay altering content that I enjoy is the PvZ Garden Warfare series, but that's because you get the coins to buy sticker packs at a ridiculously fast pace. Like, you can pay to buy a bunch of coins, or you can play like the game for 15 minutes to get the same amount.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Past few games have been mighty pay to win with MTs. That, and it's introducing progression into it, becoming much more intrusive.

When it's cosmetics it isn't a big deal, like Overwatch. But don't implement weapons and progression through it.

I have gotten every weapon i want in IW with salvage and it hasn't been time sink at all, just fun gameplay. Variants rarely are even better than base, usually they enable slightly different playstyles and most importantly better player always wins regardless if that person uses base versus variant.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
I have gotten every weapon i want in IW with salvage and it hasn't been time sink at all, just fun gameplay. Variants rarely are even better than base, usually they enable slightly different playstyles and most importantly better player always wins regardless if that person uses base versus variant.

It's the concept itself that isn't my cup of tea. It always starts small, and as we've seen with each game, it gets more and more intrusive.

Just imagine it 5 years from now if it keeps going at this pace, personally, that isn't a future I want with the way they're going about it.

Anyway I'm curious how the campaign will be, hoping it's a return to form.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a contract to 'whitness / watch 3 lootcrate opennings'

What a time to be alive

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh forgot to cancel my Amazon pre-order after I disliked the beta. It shipped..

The OT title is amazing.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hahahaha, that title is perfect, and the OP, with no content at launch is also perfect for the nu-era Call of Duty games.

Just add in the content throughout the year.

Pretty excited, got my digital deluxe edition pre-loaded and will be staying up late into the wee hours of the morning griding.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is actually very good. Most of the issues I had with beta such as gun balance and maps is fixed.

It's CoD, thats for sure, but if you like the same old formula and zombies with buddies you will love it.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty excited for this game. 1 more hour here in Perth, Australia. Can only play about 1-2 hours tonight but I have pretty much all day tomorrow, should be good.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else who doesn't really give shit about loot boxes? I mean as long as i get my moneys worth from base game without spending extra on MTs, whats the problem? IW didn't have any problems with loot boxes either. In Iw at least loot boxes improve my enjoyment of the game since there is always something fun to unlock even on long term.

If you ask most people I think they'd give a shit about dying and losing unfairly and being at a competitive disadvantage.

Geeked

Oct 26, 2017
Can you still store earned supply drops in this one? Thinking it might be best to save everything for when they stuff the crates with stat boosting variants.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Thought the beta was decent and I skipped IW so I bought the 100 dollar version. Hopefully I get my monies worth.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I still want to play the campaign, even if the loot box stuff has further turned me off from the multiplayer.

lastplayed

Oct 25, 2017
Christchurch, New Zealand
Just finished the first couple of chapters, took me just over an hour (it's 1:11am here lol).

Guns feel nice, and I really like the health pack system. You find plenty lying about also so I had a good stash built up. That's just on normal though.

Apart from that pretty average WWII stuff so far, nothing mind blowingly good yet.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
"I will never forget the sight.
Ships as far as the eye could see, all the way out to the horizon.
Thousands of men, ten thousands even, all across the beach. Some were still cleaning up the scrap and bodies from the fight 3 days prior.
The tank traps the Germans had set up had mostly been dismantled, the few that remained were still dark red with the blood of our fellow soldiers.
So many had lost their lives here, all to take this beach, all to secure what would be our way into Europe to free the people of Nazi rule.
Here we stood then. 48 men. We started with 150 and this is who remained. Two third gone in the blink of an eye. Everyone knew those wouldn't be the last casualties before Berlin.
It was cold. Everything was. The wind, the sea, the souls of our fellow men. Even with this 'victory' morale was mixed.
So O'Malley decided to do something to cheer up the boys. He gathered everyone around and told them to watch.
He took his lucky dollar, an old coin he got from his pops and always carried in his breast pocket, and threw it in the air. Everyone's eyes followed as it flipped higher and higher, not showing any signs of stopping. It seemed like it wanted to reach the clouds themselves.
Then it vanished.
And out of thin air, the men gasping at the sudden appearance, a huge crate appeared and plummeted to the ground.
A loud THUD as it smashed into the ground, sand thrown into the faces of the soldiers closest to its' landing spot.
'Watch this!' O'Malley shouted as he approached the crate. The lid suddenly swung open and what can only be described as thunderous music played from seemingly all around us. Out of the crate three giant cards or posters appeared and hung in the air, each showing a picture.
'Check out what I got boys! Come closer! Come closer!' O'Malley screamed joyously.
He suddenly held an unfamiliar rifle in his hands, maybe German made going by the design, and was busy attaching a colorful new grip to it.
Then he turned to everyone and saluted. I had never seen a man salute the way he did. It was a powerful salute, a salute to freedom, a salute to the brave men in front of him and to the call of duty that all of us had followed to this forsaken beach.
We all cheered and saluted him back, but none seemed to get it right quite the same way he did.

Two days later I found his shiny grip lying in a puddle in the middle of a muddy French road. I felt compelled to pick it up and keep it but it seemed to be out of reach to me. I just couldn't pick it up. So I left it there. But I'll never forget that one moment in time when I saw him pull that thing out of that magic crate."

- From the Memoirs of John A.C. Tivision, WW2 Veteran

Cronnie

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great OT title.

Picking this one up, first CoD title I've bought in years, will be interesting to see where the series it at now.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Whoever comes up with these OT titles are geniuses i tell you.

Anyways will be picking up my copy after work and heading straight into the mp. Cant wait, its been 8 long years since the last good cod!

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great OT title. Where's the reviews for this?? I'm really surprised it's out tomorrow and we haven't heard a peep.