• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
I've been working in video game preservation for a while - preserving delisted PS3 and Vita titles. However, my attention recently turned to the short-lived PlayStation Mobile initiative by Sony.

Out of 710 games released to the platform, currently only 212 have been archived and saved from being lost forever. I've reached out on Twitter and have saved 5 additional games we didn't have before.

If anyone of you still have your Vita and PSM titles, please let me know! Otherwise, would it be too much to ask that you could help out my campaign to preserve these titles with a retweet?

Thanks so much!

FAQ:

Q: Am I able to redownload these titles?
A: Nope! That's why this preservation effort is so important. Sony shut down the service (as it was a flop), and basically told everyone that whatever was on their Vita was theirs, but if it dies, that's it. Some support, eh?

Q: Does my Vita needs to be hacked?
A: Yes, since we need to extract the license and generate a "fake license" that would work on all Vitas.

Q: Isn't this p-
A: No. Considering the service itself was discontinued in 2015, it's not possible to redownload any legitimately purchased software, and many of the titles are not offered on any other platform, I would safely say that this is a software preservation effort.

Q: Is there a list of missing games?
A: Check out this site: http://psmreborn.com/libary.php

(Check "Show Unplayable", uncheck the other two, and click Query - that'll show you what we're missing.)

Last edited:

mokostroika2

Oct 27, 2017
can those be downloaded into the vita again? i lost mine when i swapped memory cards for a bigger one back then. such a shitty thing for sony to have done, wish we could have been able to redownload them :'(

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Have my Vita, but I don't recall those titles.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was one mobile game in particular that podcast beyond raved about but they usually raved about dumb shit

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've got one, not sure I can be any help here.

Wouldn't this be where uh, yar har methods could come into play though?

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I had like 10 downloaded for a while, unsure if I still have them. They were all from the freebies that Sony gave out.

Oh found my list:

Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender
Cubixx
Fuel Tiracas
Gun Commando
Mononoke Slashdown
OMG Zombies!
Passing Time
rymdkapsel
Super Crate Box

For people unfamiliar: this was a series of titles that were cross-compatible with the Vita and select Sony smartphones.

Some eventually got full regular Vita releases. I know a few (rymdkapsel) reviewed well but I only really played OMG Zombies (which was pretty rad for like 2 hours)

Last edited:

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I only ever got Super Crate Box and Fuel Tiracas so I am of no help but I retweeted for ya.

Are these PS Minis or something different?
Different. The PS Minis program was small games developed with PSP in mind that could also be played on PS3 and eventually Vita. These are still available since they were just on the normal PSN store.

PS Mobile were games developed with smartphones in mind that could also be played on Vita. While these were accessible through the PSN store they were technically a different service since they also were available on mobile.

Oct 28, 2017
When my memory card died I lost all of my PS Mobile games and you have no idea how much that pissed me off. Super Crate Box was one of my daily plays and it's gone forever.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I might have picked up one or two, but I don't have them backed up locally on the device or PC by the looks of it.

Good luck with this!

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I am close friends with the creator of Seraphim and I have the activated game installed on my vita, but I don't have a hacked unit and am unlikely to hack my vita anytime soon. Not sure how much I could help.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I remember PS Minis distinctly but I think PS Mobile has long been wiped from my memory

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I found my Vita a few weeks ago and passed it to my son to have a look at. He actually preferred the PSP!

I'll have a look at what's on there and let you know, RadicalR.

OP
OP
RadicalR

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
I am close friends with the creator of Seraphim and I have the activated game installed on my vita, but I don't have a hacked unit and am unlikely to hack my vita anytime soon. Not sure how much I could help.

Can you keep me in mind when you eventually do hack it? And I pray that it's not on a 64 gig card.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a list of missing ones?

Off the top of my head, I know I bought Pix n' love rush. Might have more but drawing a blank...

Edit: oh that's a ps mini... Not sure if I ever had any ps mobile then

OP
OP
RadicalR

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a list of missing ones?

Off the top of my head, I know I bought Pix n' love rush. Might have more but drawing a blank...

Edit: oh that's a ps mini... Not sure if I ever had any ps mobile then

Added a site to the FAQs where you can check to see what's missing.

I found my Vita a few weeks ago and passed it to my son to have a look at. He actually preferred the PSP!

I'll have a look at what's on there and let you know, RadicalR.

Thanks!

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Are the PSM games no longer able to be downloaded or am I thinking of the Minis?

OP
OP
RadicalR

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Are the PSM games no longer able to be downloaded or am I thinking of the Minis?

PSM games are no longer able to be downloaded. Hence, the effort I'm putting in to try to preserve them.
Once the memory card dies, you lose access to that game.

Edit: Another fun fact - even if you back them up, if something happens to your Vita, you can no longer play those games *even* with a valid license!

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
PSM games are no longer able to be downloaded. Hence, the effort I'm putting in to try to preserve them.
Once the memory card dies, you lose access to that game.

Edit: Another fun fact - even if you back them up, if something happens to your Vita, you can no longer play those games *even* with a valid license!
That was my thinking. Might have a look on the Vita TV, but I'm afraid I had that mostly allocated to bigger titles. And I might gmhave lost a memory card or two... Why were those things so tiny?

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't bother to save the PSM games I had back in the days. Sony just getting rid of them like this really sucked though.
Won't hack my Vitas for this but good that there is such an initiative.

OP
OP
RadicalR

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't bother to save the PSM games I had back in the days. Sony just getting rid of them like this really sucked though.
Won't hack my Vitas for this but good that there is such an initiative.

That's fine - I had a frustrating case where someone had a bunch of PSM games that hadn't been archived, but they didn't want to hack their Vita.
I understand why. I only told them that those games are only going to last as long as that 64 gig card is going to last. And any Vita fan knows that's a *bad* thing.
Once it fails, all of those legally purchased games are lost to the void.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I have four folders' worth of them. Actual app titles below, sorry that I don't have the "real" titles on me. Hit me up if you don't have these yet. I already have CFW so I should be able to do whatever you need. Unfortunately I don't have any paid DLC for the below, so if that wasn't already included with the game, I can't help with that.

60second shooter
A_B_Labyrinth
Aqua Kitty
Aqualibrium
Beats Slider
Beats Trellis
Crab In Space
Cubixx
Daryl
DontDieDateless
Dynamite Dude (my friend made this)
F*Note (ENG)
Fuel Tiracas
Galatic Junk
Gun Commando
Hamster Crane
Life Born
MUSYNC
Microbe Chain
Mikogaku Kaede
Miko Gakkou 2
Mikogaku Sanae
MSD
Mussoumano
Oh, Deer! Alpha
OMG-Zombies!
Picbox
Pixel Poops (I made this)
Puzziball
RIVAL
Rock Boshers DX
SHOOTING
Samurai Beatdown
Saviour Sammie
Sokoban Catzzles
SpiritsOfElduum
Super Crate Box
Sword of Rapier
zencat

Meanwhile, last time I checked I could launch these, but now it says I don't have the runtime package. Sigh.

That's fine - I had a frustrating case where someone had a bunch of PSM games that hadn't been archived, but they didn't want to hack their Vita.
I understand why. I only told them that those games are only going to last as long as that 64 gig card is going to last. And any Vita fan knows that's a *bad* thing.

wtf. Why would anyone still have an official 64GB card and an unhacked Vita? It's amazing the card lasted *this* long as it is. That is just sad.

I have never pirated anything on my system but IMO the hack is absolutely necessary for anyone still using a Vita in 2022, just to be able to use SD2Vita and a microSD card.

Edit: hey cool, I have 6 of the games currently listed as "unplayable." Hope I can help!

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
wtf. Why would anyone still have an official 64GB card and an unhacked Vita? It's amazing the card lasted *this* long as it is. That is just sad.

I have never pirated anything on my system but IMO the hack is absolutely necessary for anyone still using a Vita in 2022, just to be able to use SD2Vita and a microSD card.

Edit: hey cool, I have 6 of the games currently listed as "unplayable." Hope I can help!

I'm always scared I'm going to mess something up, so I never end up hacking any of my old systems - Vita included.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I'm always scared I'm going to mess something up, so I never end up hacking any of my old systems - Vita included.

Following the simple directions at vita dot hacks dot guide is really simple, I assure you, and the chances of bricking your console are near zero.

You could try softmodding a Wii first, if you want. Replacement cost on those is pretty low.

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck me I know I had a bunch of these, but I never got around to buying a SD2Vita and now my 64GB has failed :(.

The only saving grace is I don't exactly remember having any of the unarchived ones, but I def could've. I feel like I've let you all down

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
EDIT: sorry, OP is talking about Mobile and not Minis games.

They are preserving only the Vita versions? I played Minis on PS3 when they were given away on Plus, my favorite where "the 2d adventures of rotating octopus character", "aero racer", "flying hamster", "where is my heart?" and of course the first "Velocity", at least the one I remember.

None of those are on the OP site tho :/

You can see them here:

Last edited:

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I lost my PSM titles to a card reset. It sucked.

SixelAlexiS minis are different from PlayStation Mobile titles and can still be downloaded