• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The joke is racist and offensive, If he apologized and said he's a different person today i would accept, but saying It was ok and not apologized....

Thats disapointing

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think he's on a quest to become more disappointing each passing day.

Dont apologize. I'm not watching you again.

Oct 27, 2017
In the event that the point contained in my previous post was not entirely clear, I would want to slightly clarify my comment, in relation one of Mr. Noah's claims, specifically the following claim:
[...]While Noah said he was "always glad" to look back on old material and say goodbye to jokes that might now be considered offensive, he also said that he "understands how outrage works".

"What I mean is people don't generally want to listen or understand from their side," he said. "They go, 'no, we are angry', and regardless of how many times you speak about the thing, they still want to be angry."
In general, (1) I do not think it is helpful to make possibly inaccurate predictions/generalizations ("...regardless of how many times you speak about the thing, they still want to be angry...") about how individuals who have claimed to have been 'aggrieved' by you (and who may or may not have a reasonable/legitimate claim) will react to an expression of remorse by you; and in addition, (2) the available evidence does in fact indicate that very often and in many cases, both the 'offending party' and the 'aggrieved party' can benefit from an expression of remorse, offered by the 'offending party' to the 'aggrieved party':
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remorse
[...]The perception of remorse is essential to an apology, and the greater the perception of remorse the more effective the apology. An effective apology reduces negative consequences and facilitates cognitive and behavioral changes associated with forgiveness.[9] With empathy as the mediator between apologies and forgiveness and remorse as the essential part to an apology, one can expect empathy to mediate perceived remorse forgiveness. Remorse may signal that one is suffering psychologically because of one's negative behavior, which leads to empathy from the victim, who may then express forgiveness.[9] [...]Davis and Greg's findings suggest that when a victim perceives an apology to be remorseful then he/she believes the negative behavior will not occur again, and they'll be more willing to forgive them.[9][...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remorse
[...]These studies indicate that effective apologies that express remorse typically include a detailed account of the offense; acknowledgment of the hurt or damage done; acceptance of the responsibility for, and ownership of, the act or omission; an explanation that recognises one's role. As well, apologies usually include a statement or expression of regret, humility, or remorse; a request for forgiveness; and an expression of a credible commitment to change or a promise that it will not happen again. Apologies may also include some form of restitution, compensation or token gesture in line with the damage that one has caused. John Kleefeld has encapsulated this into "four Rs" that typically make for a fully effective apology: remorse, responsibility, resolution and reparation.[4][...]

Also:
[...]At this point I'm hoping people learn from their knee-jerk mistake and course-correct before we jump to any major action. That said, I suppose I can add to this (and the OP) to clear it up:

While I know in recent days there have been many stories regarding the alt-right making accusations, digging up dirt, etc., on famous people in order to get them fired, each story needs to be looked at separately. In Trevor Noah's case, the initial accusation was brought up by Aboriginal Australians who felt genuine offense at his "joke," and while it's true that members of the alt-right have been more than happy to jump on the train, that doesn't diminish the original concerns and offense by the Aboriginal Australians. Try not to conflate those two parties when looking at this situation.

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol that didnt work for James gun did it
I don't see Trevor getting fired by Comedy Central over this, different type of company. I'm not surprised to see Gunn fired by supposedly family friendly Diensy for pedo jokes, other studios would have probably kept him around since he apparently prints $$

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I don't see Trevor getting fired by Comedy Central over this, different type of company. I'm not surprised to see Gunn fired by supposedly family friendly Diensy for pedo jokes, other studios would have probably kept him around since he apparently prints $$
Oh know I agree they wont fire him , apart of this seems like outrage culture adding more fuel to it , and james will land on his feet

I was just pointing out james Gunn did exact what the poster said and still got fired

roosters93

Oct 25, 2017
Comedians shouldn't apologize for their jokes. I'm with him on this one. I don't remember Eddie Murphy, red foxx, Chris rock George carlin, and others having to be held accountable to their comedy routines after finding success in other mediums.

It's offensive, but that's sort of comedy. Don't know why he is saying he didn't mean to offend. He knows someone will find it offensive. So you cant pretend you didn't mean to. I'd just own up to the routine, which wasn't some vitriolic rant. Isn't there a difference between your comedy routine, and posting online that he thinks aboriginal women are undesirable. That its his personal opinion. He opens with him not understanding why people racist against aboriginals, don't find them attractive.

Reading the full response of his, I think he handled it well. Someone is always going to be offended by a stand up comedian handling certain subjects. Reminds me of a David Cross joke, where he was making fun of abortion and the crowd murmured a bit. He responds "Oh I'm sorry, were any of you aborted?" -- then he mimics a sickly voice and says "i was found in a trashcan." Or what richard pryor told eddie murphy in regards to bill cosby.

In todays world though, with this being a call to arms for some, maybe we are witnessing the birth of a new standard for comedians.

the fuck is wrong with you
I find it hard to believe you would be singing the same tune (assuming your heritage isn't caucasian otherwise not applicable as insulting all white people in one fell swoop is ok) if he said 'all chinese women are ugly', 'all spanish women are ugly' or whichever race is applicable.

I don't see why because he said this on a stage instead of on his social media network account it is suddenly palatable. Words have meaning and for him to use them to garner laughs either means he's a aware dickhead or an imbecilic dickhead. There's offensive comedy and then there's this which is offensive "comedy". He's fucked up for making this joke and anyone who laughs at it is fucked up too. This is the kind of joke boys make in school before their balls drop. It is not comedy. It is playing to the absolute lowest common racist denominator of 'haha those aborigine fuckers are ugly fucks aren't they haha'. Defending that is indefensible.

"it's comedy"
"comedians shouldn't apologise for their comedy"
this is bullshit and if you can't realise that you're an idiot too

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
the fuck is wrong with you
I find it hard to believe you would be singing the same tune (assuming your heritage isn't caucasian otherwise not applicable as insulting all white people in one fell swoop is ok) if he said 'all chinese women are ugly', 'all spanish women are ugly' or whichever race is applicable.

I don't see why because he said this on a stage instead of on his social media network account it is suddenly palatable. Words have meaning and for him to use them to garner laughs either means he's a aware dickhead or an imbecilic dickhead. There's offensive comedy and then there's this which is offensive "comedy". He's fucked up for making this joke and anyone who laughs at it is fucked up too. This is the kind of joke boys make in school before their balls drop. It is not comedy. It is playing to the absolute lowest common racist denominator of 'haha those aborigine fuckers are ugly fucks aren't they haha'. Defending that is indefensible.

"it's comedy"
"comedians shouldn't apologise for their comedy"
this is bullshit and if you can't realise that you're an idiot too

It's palatable to me because it's a performance on a stage and not an admission of his own personal beliefs. It's a show. Not a social media account full of racist aboriginal jokes, expanding upon how unattractive they are.

I don't genuinely believe that this guy was announcing his disdain for all aboriginals from the joke, his history, and his explanation sort of make that clear. Just as Eddie Murphy wasn't making fun of every single instance of a homosexual during his comedy act. Which is exactly what it is. It's a comedy act. That in itself is vastly different than him going on record about all aboriginals. How you take the joke, is on you/the audience. It's a literal profession. I think it's subjective to say if his set was offensive "comedy" or not. It's really up to if you make people laugh.

Dave Chappelle isn't a racist for his stereotypical jokes on white people. Would he be a racist if during an interview he made comments about how he dislikes all white people? You bet.

Not sure if Lenny Bruce was a racist, I've never looked into his personal commentary, but yes. People play up stereotypes on stage, because that's a performance. They are trying to be funny and relate to an audience. I'm sure there are conservative comedians that I'd find just plain offensive. But it's comedy. Going on a racist tirade like Kramer is not comedy, but I guarantee a dude like that would have been tweeting some suspect shit now at days.

Is jeff Foxworthy a self hating white man for his comedy about white trash? Or is it a comedy bit. There is a difference.

I didn't find what he said to be funny. However I wouldn't demand an apology from the comedian, as it's a comedy routine. You just don't laugh, or you can boo.

What you say on social media is often the real you. Youre generally saying things no one has invited you to say, so there is definitely a intimacy element with your online posting.

I just feel like your opinion could be said about any comedian besides rated g ones really. But yes, I think being a comedian is different than what you post on your social media.

That's likely why raw acts find success in television and film later. They have a on stage act, and a kids movie act. But at the end of the day, it's still a mask you're putting on. And you do enjoy the freedom to say what you want, and others have the freedom to support you or boycott you. That's the profession.

if more comes out about the dudes racism, which I'm sure folks are looking for now, I think it will be simple to judge. But not from a single stereotype joke. I'm sure if he's a racist, it will only be a matter of time before it all comes out. And I'll be here to eat my avatar with a side of crow.

Edit:

Also clearly this is being seen and viewed differently than I view it. Personally I've been offended by comedians, but then I know there are times where I'm laughing and someone else is offended. I do not disagree with what you're saying. Just that I'd probably look for more instances of racism before coming to that conclusion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's palatable to me because it's a performance on a stage and not an admission of his own personal beliefs. It's a show. Not a social media account full of racist aboriginal jokes, expanding upon how unattractive they are.

I don't genuinely believe that this guy was announcing his disdain for all aboriginals from the joke, his history, and his explanation sort of make that clear. Just as Eddie Murphy wasn't making fun of every single instance of a homosexual during his comedy act. Which is exactly what it is. It's a comedy act. That in itself is vastly different than him going on record about all aboriginals. How you take the joke, is on you/the audience. It's a literal profession. I think it's subjective to say if his set was offensive "comedy" or not. It's really up to if you make people laugh.

Dave Chappelle isn't a racist for his stereotypical jokes on white people. Would he be a racist if during an interview he made comments about how he dislikes all white people? You bet.

Not sure if Lenny Bruce was a racist, I've never looked into his personal commentary, but yes. People play up stereotypes on stage, because that's a performance. They are trying to be funny and relate to an audience. I'm sure there are conservative comedians that I'd find just plain offensive. But it's comedy. Going on a racist tirade like Kramer is not comedy, but I guarantee a dude like that would have been tweeting some suspect shit now at days.

Is jeff Foxworthy a self hating white man for his comedy about white trash? Or is it a comedy bit. There is a difference.

I didn't find what he said to be funny. However I wouldn't demand an apology from the comedian, as it's a comedy routine. You just don't laugh, or you can boo.

What you say on social media is often the real you. Youre generally saying things no one has invited you to say, so there is definitely a intimacy element with your online posting.

I just feel like your opinion could be said about any comedian besides rated g ones really. But yes, I think being a comedian is different than what you post on your social media.

That's likely why raw acts find success in television and film later. They have a on stage act, and a kids movie act. But at the end of the day, it's still a mask you're putting on. And you do enjoy the freedom to say what you want, and others have the freedom to support you or boycott you. That's the profession.

if more comes out about the dudes racism, which I'm sure folks are looking for now, I think it will be simple to judge. But not from a single stereotype joke. I'm sure if he's a racist, it will only be a matter of time before it all comes out. And I'll be here to eat my avatar with a side of crow.

Edit:

Also clearly this is being seen and viewed differently than I view it. Personally I've been offended by comedians, but then I know there are times where I'm laughing and someone else is offended. I do not disagree with what you're saying. Just that I'd probably look for more instances of racism before coming to that conclusion.

I think in order for comparative cases to function, you'd need to have comedians who punch down in their jokes, as I think this is what triggers this particular critique from the aboriginal community. But even then I find the Noah case disturbing, because his explanation/defense is that there was no intent to be offensive.

...Noah said he stopped performing the joke after being told by someone he met in Australia that it was hurtful...."That's why I am saying when you learn about something from someone who is a different culture, you understand how much gravity a joke can have in one place versus another place..
"I always go back to intention. If you are trying to hurt people, then you would carry on doing the joke. If you are not trying to hurt people, then you don't do the joke ...

That is a very big difference to the cases you give - where there is absolutely clear intention to "hurt" because they see the role of comedians to be outrageous and punch up and down on anything tabu, baby rape, gays, trans, blacks etc. But to me it signals an incredible amount of ignorance to basically come out and say "I made this joke, but I had no clue about who these people were and their history of suffering, disposession, abuse and dehumanization - but now that I know I will stop making such jokes as I always do when I realize that someone finds such jokes hurtful or racist". It seems to me that Noah is something of an opportunist, getting cheap laughs from people who share his stereotypes or racist bias, but admits and 'outside' where said jokes would be so offensive he'd never tell them. I have no clue how a comedian functioning in the age of Internet, youtube and social media can think this way - that there is a contained inside for these jokes.. The " intent" defense is very strange and I am pretty sure the comedians you list would say there is an absolute intent to shock, mock, hurt, punch upwards and downwards. Actually I would go as far as say the closest defense I have seen is Roseanne backing down with the "planet of the apes" "joke". I have no idea if she is that stupid, but I suppose it is possible. Just as it is possible that Noah is completely ignorant about aborigines... but if this is the case the man should not make attempts to make comedy of any community that he is not part of himself because he seems pretty ignorant.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of stand up comedians have a creed about not apologizing for jokes, because once you start it doesn't stop.